OFFICIAL 2023 Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Very possible, although I believe you already know how I'd prefer to acquire those extra picks, and its not a popular idea from what I've been hearing. :censored:
This feels like a good draft to have a lot of picks.

I did a quick search but couldn’t find the story, but the number of draft eligible players in this draft is significantly higher than 2022. I think related to how Covid impacted players coming out.

I might keep searching for that, but that data was pretty significant.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
This feels like a good draft to have a lot of picks.

I did a quick search but couldn’t find the story, but the number of draft eligible players in this draft is significantly higher than 2022. I think related to how Covid impacted players coming out.

I might keep searching for that, but that data was pretty significant.

I agree that this appears a pretty deep draft at positions which should address Rams needs, but we've also let go a very significant amount of players. More picks in that mid round 3 to early 5 range would certainly help fill some holes before we need to rely on more expensive tier 2/3 players once the next stage of free agency opens. jmo.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I agree that this appears a pretty deep draft at positions which should address Rams needs, but we've also let go a very significant amount of players. More picks in that mid round 3 to early 5 range would certainly help fill some holes before we need to rely on more expensive tier 2/3 players once the next stage of free agency opens. jmo.
I big part of me really wants to make that pick 36. Someone will be there of round 1 quality. But… that’s probably our most marketable pick being early day 2. Teams will be eager early to “get their guy who is still there”.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I big part of me really wants to make that pick 36. Someone will be there of round 1 quality. But… that’s probably our most marketable pick being early day 2. Teams will be eager early to “get their guy who is still there”.
I hear you!!! They should be able to get a stud at #36. Either Edge, TE, CB or C. I think they have their #77 reserved for a RB. So get the stud and then the next best stud at one of those other positions. Take the RB at #77 and then we can relax. Can't wait to see how it all unfolds. 3 more weeks (from tomorrow).

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
If we can go
2) Will McDonald Edge
3) Julius Brents CB
3) Joe Tippman C

I’d be THRILLED

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
My only fear with Washington is that will he be another enigma like Everett where he just never puts it altogether?

Everett was an athletic freak, yet never quite became what he should have been.

Will Washington be a good blocker, but never reach his potential as a receiver and thus be a waste as a top 40 pick?
He's a devastating blocker at almost 270 lbs so it's almost like having an extra lineman. That alone for a tight end is priceless since there are many that can't block for shit. Talk about having a weapon vs edge rushers. He's apparently got tape where he's put it on some of the top edge rushers from this draft.

WestCoastRam

Legend

FWIW, I've been reading the draft is deep at (edge, TE, DL, RB), weak at (IOL, WR, LB) the 1st round talent isn't great and it peters out at around 15-20. I'm not adverse to picking a guy at 36 but I think it seems like a stretch to think a 1st round talent falls and while I traded up for McDonald into the 1st in my mock draft, I don't think it's a good idea to pay 1st round capital for a 2nd round talent.

dang

Legend
PFF did a podcast about teams without a 1st round pick. They mocked the following for the Rams:
2-36: Anton Harrison, OT
3-69: Tyler Scott, WR

I guess I can see some logic with Harrison (though I'm not a big fan of it), but I see little logic for Scott. Another small WR when we don't use the one we drafted in the 2nd a draft ago? No thank you.
PFF - gtf outta here with this bull shite.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
He's a devastating blocker at almost 270 lbs so it's almost like having an extra lineman. That alone for a tight end is priceless since there are many that can't block for shit. Talk about having a weapon vs edge rushers. He's apparently got tape where he's put it on some of the top edge rushers from this draft.
I will say if Hunter Long is really in their plans, he gives them a potential solid receiving TE, then Washington steps in initially as your blocking TE. Of course McVay wants his receivers/TEs to be interchangeable as blockers & receivers, but he would seem to have the potential to be that.

In any event, maybe Higbee is gone then, traded to a team that missed out on a TE in the draft, with Hopkins then being the #3 TE for his last yr. And as deep as this draft is they could add another TE late to compete with Hopkins.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
We all get our expectations up, convincing ourselves what the Rams draft haul will look like. In reality it usually ends up looking like Anton Harrison and Tyler Scott.

Then, when it doesn't meet our expectations, most say what? who? Then talk themselves into liking the picks. I want a draft where we all instantly get excited about the picks. You could see that the Seahawks draft was a good one with each pick last year. I want that feeling.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Then, when it doesn't meet our expectations, most say what? who? Then talk themselves into liking the picks. I want a draft where we all instantly get excited about the picks. You could see that the Seahawks draft was a good one with each pick last year. I want that feeling.
Exactly. I'm hoping we're celebrating round here after day 2 and day 3 is the party that goes all day and night.

Because yeah you never know with draft picks but when they're those occasional players you get a great feeling about the fans are often on the right track. So I think if we have a consensus that the draft was good there's a damn good chance it will age well.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Someone wrote an article on the 5 best draft picks in the McVay era.

Kupp
John Johnson
Jordan Fuller
Ernest Jones
Franklin-Myers

Kind of underwhelming to say the least. I'd put Gaines in there ahead of most of them and Joseph-Day as well. Rams have been good at drafting Receivers, D Linemen, and Safeties under McVay. They seem better at signing free agents or trading for players.

PARAM

Hall of Fame

Kupp
John Johnson
Jordan Fuller
Ernest Jones
Franklin-Myers

Kind of underwhelming to say the least. I'd put Gaines in there ahead of most of them and Joseph-Day as well. Rams have been good at drafting Receivers, D Linemen, and Safeties under McVay. They seem better at signing free agents or trading for players.
Yeah, underwhelming. I've been looking around to see what other head coaches had better success in the draft the last 6 years. First thing I found was it's hard to find head coaches who've been around for the last 6 years. Second I didn't find any that were overwhelming. Maybe that's just my judgement. But if anybody can find some who are terrific in that department, list them. Then put an asterisk next to them for every CCG they've won, along with a star for every SB they've won. I want to be overwhelmed.

WestCoastRam

Legend

Kupp
John Johnson
Jordan Fuller
Ernest Jones
Franklin-Myers

Yes but I think we should include the trades for Stafford, Ramsey and Von Miller in there (perhaps weighted somehow) as it really skews things.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Kupp
John Johnson
Jordan Fuller
Ernest Jones
Franklin-Myers

That’s not accurate at all. Even with Gaines and Seabass on the list, like you suggest, it’s still underwhelming.

I wouldn’t have Fuller very high. He may have the brains but isn’t that great on the field.

Last year Ernest Jones didn’t do much of anything but run around. I hope he learned something’s nf from Wagner, because he will be relied upon

My list, in order, would be:

1. Kupp
2. Johnson
3. Gaines
4. Jefferson
5.Seabass
6. Jones
7. Akers ( only because I give him an incomplete)

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yes but I think we should include the trades for Stafford, Ramsey and Von Miller in there (perhaps weighted somehow) as it really skews things.
Yes and no. If it’s for judging talent I’d say no. Stafford and Ramsey were proven players. It took no skill to evaluate them.

I’d give them an asterisk for missing first round picks. But they have missed some second and third rounders in that time.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Every year the draft takes a few left turns from the media narrative where teams ranked players, position groups differently or just the way the draft falls elevates certain players and drops others. I'll be curious how this years draft deviates from the media narrative:

- For all the Gibbs lovers, I think he goes later than you expect. And some lucky team will get Bijan in the 18-30 range
- I'm guessing they'll be a run on TE's but it might not start until the top of the 2nd with teams thinking "it's such a deep class and we like so many guys, we can wait"
- there's always some guy who's a seemingly 1st round/2nd round pick who had a medical check that we don't know about that will drop like a rock cause of it (who though?)
- I don't think we see a QB drafted after top 4 till end of 2nd/beginning of 3rd and possibly a trade up for Hooker there

Anyone else got a prediction?

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Some love, some hate em. I just appreciate differing viewpoints and almost anything about the NFL. This mock, I'm not a fan of.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
- I'm guessing they'll be a run on TE's but it might not start until the top of the 2nd with teams thinking "it's such a deep class and we like so many guys, we can wait"
Because of this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Anyone else got a prediction?
The Rams don't go Edge at #36 but trade down 5-7 spots picking up a 4th. Then (in no particular order) take Edge, CB, RB and TE or C in the first 115-120 draft slots.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Any guy who can't stay off the trainer table needs to be moved a bit further down the board than they have been doing of late. Because we are starting to collect those types and it is affecting the bottom line when they're of course not available to move into key roles in the season.

I would rather hit on a solid type who can perform a role for us day one than a pie in the sky upside type who represents a lottery ticket.

Also these long development types are irritating as fuck. Quit with that. Just stop it. Lift your standards a bit in that draft room and a strong draft is very possible for us IMO. Because I don't think our scouts or draft room are bad or anything. They've just been living a bit too far out on that edge and need to reel shit in.