OFFICIAL 2023 Draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I don't agree about Gibbs vs these other backs. Gibbs has way more juice than both of these guys plus he's a nightmare in the passing game. An argument could be made for drafting him or not drafting him to be honest. Drafting him would add another playmaker with home run and mismatch ability against defenses but not adding him will allow us to fill other deficiencies. McVay's offense ran best when we had an every down he can take it to the house threat with Todd Gurley. Not sure what route we go but if Gibbs is the pick, then I certainly get why. If he isn't, I get that too if that makes sense. Gonna be interesting when we finally get to see the plan.
Sure, Gibbs has more juice then Izzy or Miller, that is not really much of a debate. Miller is more of a power runner, but certainly does have some long speed. As for Izzy (4.41), its not like he ran much slower then Gibbs (4.36), but, he showed more power in his testing with a incredible 41" vert to Gibbs 33". Take both of those numbers with a grain of salt, film is where you see who is better. I'm not suggesting that Izzy is better. Film shows Gibbs to be better. Film also shows Gibbs is on a far superior team with superior blocking as well. Another large factor, size. Izzy has the size to be a bell cow IMO at 5'10 216. Gibbs is 5'9 199. He likely slimmed down to run quicker, but likely so did Izzy but ran a similar time at 17lbs heavier. On film, these 2 (and Achane) look like the fastest RB's in the class.

Honestly, in summary, I'd rather have Gibbs on the Rams if all things were equal. Sadly, they are not. Gibbs would require using our most valuable draft pick. Izzy is rumored to be anywhere from 4th to 6th round. The massive value savings there is huge in my opinion. Thats not even considering the group of other backs that could be high end NFL starters that may be in the same range (Miller, Evans, Achane, etc.)

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not trying to keep going back to this, but, the value difference for example:

Taking Gibbs at 36 and who potentially might be there at 36 for our glaring holes:
Edge: Adebawore (not out of realm of possibilities), McDonald, Ojulari - all day 1 starters on our team IMO
CB: Forbes, Banks, Ringo, Brents - again, all likely day 1 starters for us
OL: Torrence, Michael Schmitz, Wright, D.Jones - ditto

We would miss out on each and every one of those guys if we choose to go RB early. In the 7 round mock I'm lookin at (DraftCountdown) Izzy goes in the 4th and there is a massive drop off in talent in that round as compared to the above. As again, I like Gibbs, he's a great weapon to have, I just can't get behind the loss in value that taking him results in. RB's are one of the cheapest positions in the NFL to resign. Edge and CB are 2 of the highest outside of QB.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Sure, Gibbs has more juice then Izzy or Miller, that is not really much of a debate. Miller is more of a power runner, but certainly does have some long speed. As for Izzy (4.41), its not like he ran much slower then Gibbs (4.36), but, he showed more power in his testing with a incredible 41" vert to Gibbs 33". Take both of those numbers with a grain of salt, film is where you see who is better. I'm not suggesting that Izzy is better. Film shows Gibbs to be better. Film also shows Gibbs is on a far superior team with superior blocking as well. Another large factor, size. Izzy has the size to be a bell cow IMO at 5'10 216. Gibbs is 5'9 199. He likely slimmed down to run quicker, but likely so did Izzy but ran a similar time at 17lbs heavier. On film, these 2 (and Achane) look like the fastest RB's in the class.

Honestly, in summary, I'd rather have Gibbs on the Rams if all things were equal. Sadly, they are not. Gibbs would require using our most valuable draft pick. Izzy is rumored to be anywhere from 4th to 6th round. The massive value savings there is huge in my opinion. Thats not even considering the group of other backs that could be high end NFL starters that may be in the same range (Miller, Evans, Achane, etc.)
Trust me, I get both arguments and wouldn't be mad at which way the Rams decide to play it. How they play it will be telling on where they are putting value in the draft, but that's an obvious statement lol

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Taking Gibbs at 36 and who potentially might be there at 36 for our glaring holes:
Edge: Adebawore (not out of realm of possibilities), McDonald, Ojulari - all day 1 starters on our team IMO

We would miss out on each and every one of those guys if we choose to go RB early. In the 7 round mock I'm lookin at (DraftCountdown) Izzy goes in the 4th and there is a massive drop off in talent in that round as compared to the above. As again, I like Gibbs, he's a great weapon to have, I just can't get behind the loss in value that taking him results in. RB's are one of the cheapest positions in the NFL to resign. Edge and CB are 2 of the highest outside of QB.
You make a very good argument. :thumbsup1:

Memphis Ram

Legend

One could run off a list of names in a deep Edge Rush, CB class that could be potential day one starters and had in the 3rd round, too. Interior OLineman, too.
Simply put, unless you are dealing with an elite talent, the value difference is negligible for most positions. Especially interior OLine.

Last edited:

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
To hell with the draft, we better get this security guard at linebacker... ~ @AvengerRam
This is why they used to streak on the field naked... No security guards are in a hurry to tackle that shit.

Kids these days. Think they know a better way to do everything.

oldnotdead

Legend
I've said this in previous posts. The Rams don't necessarily have to draft an edge early this year. They will have a first round pick next year. They could draft DT Calijah Kancey out of Pitt to play 3T and be mentored by his idol Aaron Donald. Then simply shift Donald to weakside DE and Hoecht to the strongside. Paired with Murchison on passing downs with AD and Hoecht outside could be a very good DL. If Kancey drops to 36 and he might, that would seem a logical way to go. They get their long term replacement for AD when he retires next year, or it may be an incentive to play through 2024 as well. At DE Donald won't see those constant double and triple teams and it might prolong his career. One thing is for sure they won't be running left a lot.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I've said this in previous posts. The Rams don't necessarily have to draft an edge early this year. They will have a first round pick next year. They could draft DT Calijah Kancey out of Pitt to play 3T and be mentored by his idol Aaron Donald. Then simply shift Donald to weakside DE and Hoecht to the strongside. Paired with Murchison on passing downs with AD and Hoecht outside could be a very good DL. If Kancey drops to 36 and he might, that would seem a logical way to go. They get their long term replacement for AD when he retires next year, or it may be an incentive to play through 2024 as well. At DE Donald won't see those constant double and triple teams and it might prolong his career. One thing is for sure they won't be running left a lot.
Les Snead talked about twiners $ was excited.he fits what Snead was admiring.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They do need an edge and badly, what they don't need is an ILB early if at all. And Kancey has a very slim chance of dropping to us and should be a 15-25 range pick which we absolutely shouldn't trade up for.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
We should probably go over the list of guys who won't drop to us. I'd bet there's close to 35. So we should have a good idea who we'll be able to draft. As long as the first 35 go exactly as we think they will. The chances of that are probably lower than the chances of somebody like Kancey or Gibbs or many who we think won't drop, dropping to us.

oldnotdead

Legend
They do need an edge and badly, what they don't need is an ILB early if at all. And Kancey has a very slim chance of dropping to us and should be a 15-25 range pick which we absolutely shouldn't trade up for.

Oh I agree that Kancey will probably go in that range. That's why I assume if they are going to grab someone like Tanner Mckee or Kancy they would move up into the first round.

This year isn't a rebuild it's a re-set, prepping for another multi-year run. The fact they are looking at Clayton Tune, shows me they understand QB2 is a huge missing piece that probably won't be solved with a UDFA or career vet retread. But it also could signal that they know that if they are going to get a QB in the draft if they like one in this draft they need to pull the trigger. It will give them time to fully develop him behind Stafford.

So could they possibly trade up to #18 if their targeted QB drops that far? Pick 18 is Detroit's second pick. The Rams top 3rd round this year with their 2024 first round and toss in Allen Robinson. They would be doing right by Robinson trading him to a team on the rise with a good QB. Detroit gets a big target vet possession X WR for Goff. Jared takes what is there so if Robinson gets open he will get the targets. It would give Holmes his #6 pick, two second round picks and then 2 third round picks, with a second first round pick next year. The Rams could use it for a QB like McKee who is most likely going to go in the second half of the first round, or they could use it on Kalijah Kancey (a replacement for AD when he retires next year). They could play Donald at weakside DE where he's rotated fairly often with good results. Much harder to double him and you don't want to run that way. Play Hoecht on the strong side and Murchison at 3T.

Holmes could eiher keep that #6 or trade back and pickup two more first round picks. I think he would take a Rams trade. Let's face it one maybe two years is all the Rams can expect out of Stafford. Maybe Matt stays healthy, but maybe he doesn't. Don't wait until everyone knows you need a QB to make a trade. With that 5th year option, they would have that QB for 5 years so grooming him for two wouldn't hurt. Keeping their #36 allows them to take a CB. They can grab an edge next year.

DE Donald / Kier Thomas
NT Brown / Murchison
DT Kancy / Carter
DE/JACK (OLB) Hoecht / Hardy

If they take a QB like McKee they would still draft an edge either at 36 (if they have it) or at 69 with CB at 77. The unsaid wildcard in this draft is how does Daniel Hardy project this year. Can he actually start? The fact he played behind Floyd last year and now Floyd is gone. Hardy as a second year player could be as good or better than a lot of the edges left on the board in the 3rd round. We tend to write him off because of his draft position. But he was drafted low because he was very raw. If he's on track with his development they could be looking at him as a potential starter. If so it changes this draft and CB and QB2 become priorities.

IMO they are looking at Tune strictly as a long term backup. I think if Tune isn't taken by the end of the 3rd round he will be on the board in the 5th round and that is when they should grab him. Tune is a good QB but his arm strength is what will drop him. If they wait until the 6th round Jake Haener should be on the board and he's everything they wanted in Wolford.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here we go. Now that looks like a Rams pick at TE. All that potential and no toothbrush. Gonna say once again that guys who kill the workout but suck ass in production are luxury picks. We cannot afford a luxury pick this year but hey let's snap this guy up and convince ourselves everything will be different with us and set ourselves up for yet more disappointment with the TE room.

This team is fucking cursed at TE. It's incredible to me. Meanwhile the guys like Kraft and LaPorta will go to teams like Green Bay who are not retarded with evaluating the position. Rams will take someone like this clown or Musgrave who goes down at first contact.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Oh I agree that Kancey will probably go in that range. That's why I assume if they are going to grab someone like Tanner Mckee or Kancy they would move up into the first round.

This year isn't a rebuild it's a re-set, prepping for another multi-year run. The fact they are looking at Clayton Tune, shows me they understand QB2 is a huge missing piece that probably won't be solved with a UDFA or career vet retread. But it also could signal that they know that if they are going to get a QB in the draft if they like one in this draft they need to pull the trigger. It will give them time to fully develop him behind Stafford.

So could they possibly trade up to #18 if their targeted QB drops that far? Pick 18 is Detroit's second pick. The Rams top 3rd round this year with their 2024 first round and toss in Allen Robinson. They would be doing right by Robinson trading him to a team on the rise with a good QB. Detroit gets a big target vet possession X WR for Goff. Jared takes what is there so if Robinson gets open he will get the targets. It would give Holmes his #6 pick, two second round picks and then 2 third round picks, with a second first round pick next year. The Rams could use it for a QB like McKee who is most likely going to go in the second half of the first round, or they could use it on Kalijah Kancey (a replacement for AD when he retires next year). They could play Donald at weakside DE where he's rotated fairly often with good results. Much harder to double him and you don't want to run that way. Play Hoecht on the strong side and Murchison at 3T.

Holmes could eiher keep that #6 or trade back and pickup two more first round picks. I think he would take a Rams trade. Let's face it one maybe two years is all the Rams can expect out of Stafford. Maybe Matt stays healthy, but maybe he doesn't. Don't wait until everyone knows you need a QB to make a trade. With that 5th year option, they would have that QB for 5 years so grooming him for two wouldn't hurt. Keeping their #36 allows them to take a CB. They can grab an edge next year.

DE Donald / Kier Thomas
NT Brown / Murchison
DT Kancy / Carter
DE/JACK (OLB) Hoecht / Hardy

If they take a QB like McKee they would still draft an edge either at 36 (if they have it) or at 69 with CB at 77. The unsaid wildcard in this draft is how does Daniel Hardy project this year. Can he actually start? The fact he played behind Floyd last year and now Floyd is gone. Hardy as a second year player could be as good or better than a lot of the edges left on the board in the 3rd round. We tend to write him off because of his draft position. But he was drafted low because he was very raw. If he's on track with his development they could be looking at him as a potential starter. If so it changes this draft and CB and QB2 become priorities.

IMO they are looking at Tune strictly as a long term backup. I think if Tune isn't taken by the end of the 3rd round he will be on the board in the 5th round and that is when they should grab him. Tune is a good QB but his arm strength is what will drop him. If they wait until the 6th round Jake Haener should be on the board and he's everything they wanted in Wolford.
I think I may vomit for the rest of the draft if they trade up to #18, while including next years 1st rounder, to draft McKee. McKee helps us zero this season, unless disaster has struck. In which case that 1st rounder is a top 5-10 pick in a stacked draft. Honestly, neither Kancey or McKee is anywhere near worth trading up and including next years 1st for. IMO McKee is a 3rd round prospect. I'm not sure what I'm not seeing with McKee that your are, but, that is what the draft is about, some value guys that others don't. For example, I'd much rather draft Jaren Hall in the 5th then McKee in the 2nd or 3rd. I'd rather have Gibbs at 36 even, and its not too close.

NFL.com (I know they are just another opinion amongst a sea of opinions) has McGee as a future average backup or special teams

Side note, I'd love Kancey to drop to 36. I'm a fan, just not mortgaging our future to trade up and grab him.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here we go. Now that looks like a Rams pick at TE. All that potential and no toothbrush. Gonna say once again that guys who kill the workout but suck ass in production are luxury picks. We cannot afford a luxury pick this year but hey let's snap this guy up and convince ourselves everything will be different with us and set ourselves up for yet more disappointment with the TE room.

This team is fucking cursed at TE. It's incredible to me. Meanwhile the guys like Kraft and LaPorta will go to teams like Green Bay who are not retarded with evaluating the position. Rams will take someone like this clown or Musgrave who goes down at first contact.
To be fair, Kuntz is likely a 5-6th rounder (some projections) and LaPorta/Kraft are projected to be 3rd rounders. I don't necessarily disagree, LaPorta and Kraft are much better and more NFL ready then Kuntz. Kuntz would be a value in the later rounds and wouldn't need to play much this year while getting stronger and prepping, provided we don't trade/cut Higbee.

Don't forget, we already have the power house Hunter Long and his 1 reception ready to be unleashed on this squad.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McKee feels like that guy who has all the tools but is missing something. Right now they're casting Levis in that role in media circles and he may be that type too, but I don't see us taking McKee. And in fact I'd rather go get Haener later. At least with Haener you have a gamer who can be a backup for you down the road.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To be fair, Kuntz is likely a 5-6th rounder (some projections) and LaPorta/Kraft are projected to be 3rd rounders. I don't necessarily disagree, LaPorta and Kraft are much better and more NFL ready then Kuntz. Kuntz would be a value in the later rounds and wouldn't need to play much this year while getting stronger and prepping, provided we don't trade/cut Higbee.

Don't forget, we already have the power house Hunter Long and his 1 reception ready to be unleashed on this squad.
What does being fair have to do with it. I like to ask my kids that when they use that stupid fucking phrase. It's like literally. Unnecessary words and phrasings irritate the shit out of me.

But what matters is where the team elects to prioritize the position. Generally speaking we are not in a position to get a good TE prospect most years, as the good ones go off the board by early 2nd round. This year we're in a good spot. So if they convince themselves "hey we can just go get this high end lottery ticket and hit on him later" that is the flaw in the ointment that will continue our run of disappointment and shitty results at the position.

And our TE position sure could use a stud like the aforementioned. I don't want to even waste a pick on a shitter like Kuntz who blows scouts minds in his underwear then leaves them wondering where the fuck he was on gameday.