OFFICIAL 2022 NFL coaching carousel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Florio thinking McVay might hang it up if he wins the Superbowl is way off in my opinion. I guess anything is possible but I think this is still the tip of the iceberg for Sean.
I would lose my freaking mind if he did that.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Florio thinking McVay might hang it up if he wins the Superbowl is way off in my opinion. I guess anything is possible but I think this is still the tip of the iceberg for Sean.

Back in the summer of 2019 McVay & Snead received extensions taking them thru 2023, ... I'm guessing after his 2'nd Super Bowl they'll be offered another. It might be next year, but Kroenke won't let these two get away. He'll send the Walmart mafia after them if they bolt, and Florio may be getting a visit just for thinking it out-loud.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

I just read the article on The Athletic about the Vikings coaching search. What it came down to is that they just got out of a situation with a moody, heavy handed coach and a GM that didn’t get along. They didn’t want to get right back into the same situation with Harbaugh who had a tenuous ending in SF.

They also loved O’Connell. A younger, more energetic approach from a guy who knows Kirk Cousins well and has fresh ideas. Harbaugh thought he was going to Minnesota to be handed the job but it was still a competition.

Jacksonville should have ditched Baalke and called Harbaugh.

I always felt Zimmer was more successful in MN. But he only had two division wins and two playoff wins in 11 seasons.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I just read the article on The Athletic about the Vikings coaching search. What it came down to is that they just got out of a situation with a moody, heavy handed coach and a GM that didn’t get along. They didn’t want to get right back into the same situation with Harbaugh who had a tenuous ending in SF.

They also loved O’Connell. A younger, more energetic approach from a guy who knows Kirk Cousins well and has fresh ideas. Harbaugh thought he was going to Minnesota to be handed the job but it was still a competition.

I always felt Zimmer was more successful in MN. But he only had two division wins and two playoff wins in 11 seasons.
Zimmer was there for 11 seasons?!

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I don't know why they think that and I would be upset if he did because there is no plan B IMHO. I agree, a win should start a nice run and McVay has a great organization that support him 100% and it's never going to get any better then that.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't know why they think that and I would be upset if he did because there is no plan B IMHO. I agree, a win should start a nice run and McVay has a great organization that support him 100% and it's never going to get any better then that.
Simms was saying the same thing. Some here echoed it. Foolio says McVay reminds him of Vermiel and seems like the type to burn himself out. I’m not seeing any signs of it. He seems to be loving his job.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Simms was saying the same thing. Some here echoed it. Foolio says McVay reminds him of Vermiel and seems like the type to burn himself out. I’m not seeing any signs of it. He seems to be loving his job.
Yeah, McVay is a football lifer, he Grandfather, his dad, etc. Not sure where the Vermeil comparison comes in because I think McVay makes sure he has some downtime. Funny, why is McVay facing burnout and not Kyle Shanahan, or a younger Mike Tomlin or Mike Vrabel for that matter? Just doesn't make any sense.

I do believe McVay might follow the Bill Walsh formula and only coach for ten years, but then again, it all depends how things shake out because I'm hoping Sean McVay is with the Los Angeles Rams for 20 years.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

I get their reasoning even if I would have done differently.

Also what is very funny is that Harbaugh thought he was gonna get handed the job. Him showing up all relaxed then bombing an interview he didn't realize was gonna happen... Classic.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Yeah, McVay is a football lifer, he Grandfather, his dad, etc. Not sure where the Vermeil comparison comes in because I think McVay makes sure he has some downtime. Funny, why is McVay facing burnout and not Kyle Shanahan, or a younger Mike Tomlin or Mike Vrabel for that matter? Just doesn't make any sense.

I do believe McVay might follow the Bill Walsh formula and only coach for ten years, but then again, it all depends how things shake out because I'm hoping Sean McVay is with the Los Angeles Rams for 20 years.
I can't find it.. but I'm pretty sure I've read in the past that McVay doesn't think he could do this for decades.

McVay has said in the past that he has "no life" outside of football and says that's why he's a "moron" outside of it and how he can remember every play.

Now.. do I think he's gonna hang them up at 36? No fucking way. But, I wouldn't be shocked if he's a guy who steps away earlier than a lot of people expect.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

Also what is very funny is that Harbaugh thought he was gonna get handed the job. Him showing up all relaxed then bombing an interview he didn't realize was gonna happen... Classic.
I'm a little surprised it was OC.. but I guess I shouldn't have been.

I felt like Morris was the pick there, because of the personality reasons. Much more upbeat and positive than Zimmer. OC has some of those same traits and comes from the offensive side.. which is increasingly the pick, for lots of reasons.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Think about the real story of Harbaugh’s success and not just his record. He walked into an absolutely loaded team, especially on defense. He brings a new offense to the league that every DC struggled trying to figure. The offense was so good that dipshit talking heads were saying Kaepernick may be the greatest QB in the league. Harbaugh looks like a genius.

Then coaches like Fisher figured out how to defend that offense and suddenly Kaepernick looks like a turd and Jim starts to lose games. Then he starts fighting with his GM.

It was a smoke show.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Think about the real story of Harbaugh’s success and not just his record. He walked into an absolutely loaded team, especially on defense. He brings a new offense to the league that every DC struggled trying to figure. The offense was so good that dipshit talking heads were saying Kaepernick may be the greatest QB in the league. Harbaugh looks like a genius.

Then coaches like Fisher figured out how to defend that offense and suddenly Kaepernick looks like a turd and Jim starts to lose games. Then he starts fighting with his GM.

It was a smoke show.
That story sounds familiar, except for the part where he fought with the GM and everything collapsed. Our guy did the opposite and now we're back in the super bowl.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
When McVay starts thinking of hanging them up, I expect he will get a successor ready… Let that person know, build a plan, etc.

Unlike what Asshole Face did to New Orleans. I wonder what fans down there are saying about that? I haven‘t looked.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

It was a smoke show.
I'm certainly no fan of his. And don't care for ex-9er coaches. I just think he's a good HC who won in spite of a dipshit in the front office.

I imagine him walking in there all smug like he had the job then realizing he's not the belle of the ball. It really is some funny shit if it went down the way Foolio made it sound. And of course Foolio is so full of shit that it might all be nonsense. But a hilarious visual to picture that look on his face he'd always get with the refs and him being unprepared.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm certainly no fan of his. And don't care for ex-9er coaches. I just think he's a good HC who won in spite of a dipshit in the front office.

I imagine him walking in there all smug like he had the job then realizing he's not the belle of the ball. It really is some funny shit if it went down the way Foolio made it sound. And of course Foolio is so full of shit that it might all be nonsense. But a hilarious visual to picture that look on his face he'd always get with the refs and him being unprepared.
It sounds like that’s how it happened according to the Athletic article too.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That story sounds familiar, except for the part where he fought with the GM and everything collapsed. Our guy did the opposite and now we're back in the super bowl.
McVays offense has been around since Mike Shanahan. Plus McVay brought in Woods and Whitworth right away. Then he was part of drafting Kupp and trading for Stafford.

Not really anything like ‘our Guy’