OFFICIAL 2022 NFL coaching carousel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
When McVay starts thinking of hanging them up, I expect he will get a successor ready… Let that person know, build a plan, etc.

Unlike what Asshole Face did to New Orleans. I wonder what fans down there are saying about that? I haven‘t looked.
You're right. McVay has always struck me as a great leader. When a good leader leaves, you shouldn't notice a difference because they prepared their people. They've built trust and trained people and everyone knows the plan.

I can't imagine McVay not doing that. I guess he is hanging on to play calling duties, so there's that. I think that's more to protect the team from losing the play caller every other year though, so it's a necessary evil.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Now.. do I think he's gonna hang them up at 36? No fucking way. But, I wouldn't be shocked if he's a guy who steps away earlier than a lot of people expect.
That's why I bring up Bill Walsh, who said ten years was the life expectancy for a Head Coach on a team. If McVay did leave, I could see him getting a front office position, but he's a football coach, he said that, so I believe he might stay a tad longer, but I guess we should just enjoy it now.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

This is the way I thought they would even though Allen has a career record of 8-28, that's right 8-28. IMO, Allen will take it on the chin the next couple of years until the Saints improve their cap & find a QB (in the draft) & then hire he true successor to Peyton.

As to Sean Peyton, he will be the next Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys because there is no way that Mike McCarthy is winning the Super Bowl next year IMO, and Jerry will hire Peyton immediately.

IE Rams

Pro Bowler
I do believe McVay might follow the Bill Walsh formula and only coach for ten years, but then again, it all depends how things shake out because I'm hoping Sean McVay is with the Los Angeles Rams for 20 years.
Yeah, but we gotta keep in mind Walsh was 48 when he started with Frisco, and left when he was about 58. Plus, he had also already had alot of coaching mileage behind him before he even started up there.

McVay was only 30 when he came aboard here (30? Jesus, I don’t even remember being 30 :not:). I think McVay’s gonna coach in the NFL longer than Walsh, at least that’s what I’m hoping. Who knows what his long-term plans are.

Last edited:

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
McVays offense has been around since Mike Shanahan. Plus McVay brought in Woods and Whitworth right away. Then he was part of drafting Kupp and trading for Stafford.

Not really anything like ‘our Guy’
I don't think anyone was running the "illusion of complexity" quite as hard as he was. Let's be real, at this point everything doable on the field has been done. It's a matter of frequency and personnel as to whether or not it's "new". It took one and a half years for someone to figure out how to stop it effectively.

The defense was loaded. We had Saffold, Havenstein, Higbee, Gurley, and Goff on offense. McVay filled in a couple of key spots on offense, installed an offense people didn't know, and went to the super bowl in year 2 with Goff.

Your point about being in Stafford is my point. He didn't start fighting with the GM. He worked with the GM. His offense needed to adapt because it got partially figured out and he needed a new QB to adapt it.

I wasn't trying to say it's an exact 1:1 analog to Harbaugh. But it's close enough. High quality defense, a core of offensive players to be built on, and an offense the league wasn't ready for. Things got tough and that's where the paths diverge.

IE Rams

Pro Bowler
As to Sean Peyton, he will be the next Head Coach of the Dallas Cowboys because there is no way that Mike McCarthy is winning the Super Bowl next year IMO, and Jerry will hire Peyton immediately.

I never thought it was possible for the Cowturds to make themselves more hated. But hiring that pinchface bounty hunter will definitely do it for me.

Peyton :sick2:

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That's why I bring up Bill Walsh, who said ten years was the life expectancy for a Head Coach on a team. If McVay did leave, I could see him getting a front office position, but he's a football coach, he said that, so I believe he might stay a tad longer, but I guess we should just enjoy it now.
Yeah it's a bridge that we will get to unfortunately. GM would be a tough role for a guy like McVay. His energy would drive a HC nuts. But all that aside I agree that in true McVay fashion he'd probably be great at it. Clueless owner could just make him team president and go fuck off while his team reaps wins. And he might have dreams of doing that like his grandpa did. Just hope it's not in SF.

Re: life expectancy I think that is all about when you need to rebuild. That and energy level of the coach and staff. So ten years sounds reasonable though case by case will be unique of course. This is why I'm fine with what they're doing to go "all in" every year with McVay. He's a rare HC and gives you room for error so ride his ass as far as you can before he sails off into the sunset to wherever his destination is. As it stands right now the Rams are five years in and the roster looks good, front office interaction looks from the outside like it's good too.

Whatever happens I am pretty sure that McVay wants to string together multiple championships. This isn't the type of guy who is gonna shit his pants in ecstasy when he holds the Lombardi and try to run off while he's on top. This is a fiery competitor. Foolio has him wrong IMO.

My hope for McVay's career progression: multiple championships as HC, then move into GM role and more championships, then team president and more championships. If I'm Stan that dude would never leave my organization. My checkbook would ensure that.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I don't think anyone was running the "illusion of complexity" quite as hard as he was. Let's be real, at this point everything doable on the field has been done. It's a matter of frequency and personnel as to whether or not it's "new". It took one and a half years for someone to figure out how to stop it effectively.

The defense was loaded. We had Saffold, Havenstein, Higbee, Gurley, and Goff on offense. McVay filled in a couple of key spots on offense, installed an offense people didn't know, and went to the super bowl in year 2 with Goff.

Your point about being in Stafford is my point. He didn't start fighting with the GM. He worked with the GM. His offense needed to adapt because it got partially figured out and he needed a new QB to adapt it.

I wasn't trying to say it's an exact 1:1 analog to Harbaugh. But it's close enough. High quality defense, a core of offensive players to be built on, and an offense the league wasn't ready for. Things got tough and that's where the paths diverge.
I don’t see the similarity. Harbaugh brought in a college offense and once it was figured out, he wasn’t good.

He didn’t just come in with a good defense either. Singletary built a great defense.

I see McVay as bringing something real and lasting, which is part of how he runs things as much as on field coaching. Once Harbaugh’s college offense was figured out, that organization went into meltdown. Harbaugh went into meltdown. I don’t see the comparison.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
If those are truly the 2 finalists, and Flores doesnt get the job?
There's just no way
I had always thought it was Flores who wanted Watson in Miami but it appears from the lawsuit that wasn’t necessarily the case.

If Flores does take over in Texas, do they deal Watson? Or try to make it work with him?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I had always thought it was Flores who wanted Watson in Miami but it appears from the lawsuit that wasn’t necessarily the case.

If Flores does take over in Texas, do they deal Watson? Or try to make it work with him?
I dont know if its possible to salvage Watson in Houston, but it would make a heck of a story if they did

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If McCown gets that Texans just just wow can't even fathom that ineptitude from them.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
If those are truly the 2 finalists, and Flores doesnt get the job?
There's just no way
Here in NYC, several reports have it as Josh McCown; and that the Texans even wanted to pull the trigger on him last year but McCown took himself out because he thought he needed a year. It would be a wild hire.