OFFICIAL 2022 NFL coaching carousel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay never looked like a sulky teenager that needs to take the trash out. His intellect shows through every time the camera is on him. Moore is not even remotely in his class as a HC prospect. That intellect is what stopped the Rams in their tracks and pushed them to hire him in spite of not having interviewed their top candidate Shanahan that year.

McVay just stood out in that way I mentioned, in his leadership coming across and knowing he can install a culture. Which the Rams desperately needed more than anything else.

The point you seized upon was just a shot that Dallas doesn't have culture. Their offense doesn't have great culture either. But if you put on tape of that old Washington offense that McVay coordinated they routinely did more than they should for the talent they had. You could see that effect McVay had. Dallas is just a superb collection of talent by comparison and that factors in here along with his interviewing ability and intellect.
If McVay bombed and Moore ended up being a huge winner, you'd have people saying similar things in reverse. "Moore was just a natural leader. McVay? He couldn't command a locker room." We'll see what happens when Moore gets his chance.
This site has an interesting quote that I think backs up what some of us see wrt Moore:

According to Aaron Wilson of Pro Football Network, Moore is not expected to receive a head-coaching offer from any of the teams he has interviewed with. Wilson cites “league sources not authorized to speak publicly” in his report.

Moore met with representatives from Jacksonville, Denver, Minnesota, and Miami over a span of about 12 days. But as per Wilson, “at least one hiring committee came away wondering if he has the commanding personality and leadership style to stand in front of an entire team and grab players’ attention.”
Only one way to find out. But at the end of the day, a HC doesn't need to be some boisterous character. He needs the ability to manage the football team and coaching staff, he needs the ability to connect with players and earn their respect, and he needs the ability to manage the game. It also helps if he is great with the X's and O's.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If McVay bombed and Moore ended up being a huge winner, you'd have people saying similar things in reverse. "Moore was just a natural leader. McVay? He couldn't command a locker room." We'll see what happens when Moore gets his chance.
Yes of course. But he didn't bomb. He lived up to the guy who interviewed.

Moore probably just needs a little seasoning. And polish up his interview skills. Not everyone's a natural like McVay.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Anyone else find this one of the least flashy HC candidate pools in a while?

Outside of Harbaugh, I can’t see a lot to be super excited about.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree. I think a lot of this year's crop are gonna flop. And I still think Arizona might open up and maybe Tampa as well at some point soon.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Anyone else find this one of the least flashy HC candidate pools in a while?

Outside of Harbaugh, I can’t see a lot to be super excited about.
I'll wait and see who gets hired. A lot of retreads are being thrown around, but we'll see if they end up being the choices. I'm not so sure that it's very weak, but it doesn't seem to really have a slam-dunk guy at the top.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
With all the openings.. how do we not lose at least one coordinator?
The Rams could possibly lose three. I’d take long hard look at some of the guys McVay has touted as future HCs to be some new coaches DC or OC, like Brown, Henderson or Shula.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
The Rams could possibly lose three. I’d take long hard look at some of the guys McVay has touted as future HCs to be some new coaches DC or OC, like Brown, Henderson or Shula.

Agreed. I'd even look at Robinson or Carberry, were I a GM looking to build a team. McVay's system is proven to work, and it's better than Miami going for fucking Vance Joseph as a retread that's proven not to work.

I'm praying to holy fate that we don't lose Carberry as a potential OC. That would suck.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How do you hit a snag in your first job offer. Wanting full control? Or maybe they want you to wear a clown suit on the team flights? Take the job Byron. Develop that young QB. Then go fuck off and get more good jobs because you'll be a proven commodity.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Read: Jags wanted to lowball Byron Leftwich and as he's not just clapping for their lowball situation, they're reviewing others in hopes Leftwich caves and takes their lowball offer.

Hey, I got an idea for them... David Culley is available... he'll take any HC job no matter how toxic ownership is and his players actually do play for him.

Honestly, I'm not sure that ownership group deserves Leftwich... and there's no way they're getting Hackett unless Denver shits the bed and goes for Quinn or can't get Rodgers and goes for O'Connell.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Read: Jags wanted to lowball Byron Leftwich and as he's not just clapping for their lowball situation, they're reviewing others in hopes Leftwich caves and takes their lowball offer.

Hey, I got an idea for them... David Culley is available... he'll take any HC job no matter how toxic ownership is and his players actually do play for him.

Honestly, I'm not sure that ownership group deserves Leftwich... and there's no way they're getting Hackett unless Denver shits the bed and goes for Quinn or can't get Rodgers and goes for O'Connell.
I think he knows that he can go for what he wants because he will succeed Arians if he sticks around for a year. I think BA is gone as soon as Tommy boy is.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

Not a good look for a franchise in disarray. Won’t even pay the coach? Great, get someone on the cheap.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Not a good look for a franchise in disarray. Won’t even pay the coach? Great, get someone on the cheap.

I dunno for a fact, but that's what it seems like... there's something... money, staff hires...length of contract.. something they're trying to dick him around about and I really hope it doesn't work. You need as a new HC to have some kind of contractual assurance that you're not a one and done HC say if something happened to their new QB. We've seen that before.

LA_vision

Hall of Fame

Correct, Khan is just a cheapskate loser owner. Didnt fire Meyer earlt in the season to save a buck, at the cost of his new franchise rookie QB. I hope Lawrence gets out of there as soon as possible.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Let me be the first to post I cannot believe the Broncos hired Nathaniel Hackett as the next Head Coach. Quite frankly, he really wasn't that good of an OC as in Green Bay, Matt LaFleur calls the plays plus at Syracuse he was not that good and in Jacksonville too.

I'm really shocked as it appears the son of former 49er Offensive Coordinator Paul Hackett and University of Pittsburgh Head Coach must be great in the interview process because IMHO I don't expect much from this hire.

Now if this hire is only because Aaron Rodgers will follow then I guess I can understand it, otherwise, there were much better candidates IMHO.