OFFICIAL 2022 NFL coaching carousel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am happy for Leftwich. Potentially a good spot with Trevor Lawrence in place.

1st overall pick in the 2022 draft.

Trent Baalke as GM, I am unsure about.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Well agree. Perfect spot & should’ve been the HC last season. It was rare that a OC gets a HC job when going to the SuperBowl.

My hope it doesn’t happen again like it did to The Rams with Zach Taylor.

Funny how many Zach’s Mcvay has had on his coaching roster.Almost makes one think he has a fetus?

Leftwiche was a QB I always admired.He was one of my favorites.
I’ve always been a fan of the black QB. James Harris,Warren Moon,Vince Evans with sweetness.

I actually think Ram Fans are sleeping on Bryce Perkins.He will continue to get better. The way he reads things is cool.He is more mobile than Leftwiche.
This new rule helps promote the HC & GM’s is a good thing.I hope Raheem Morris doesn’t get the Vikings job. I could see Lesley Fraiser being his DC? I don’t know,but have a curious feeling. I’m not sure what his status is after the loss to KC?

Urban Myer is a JOKE & like I keep saying just glad Stan Kronke is The Rams owner.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

There are reports that Baalke is just sticking around for the draft and then they will part ways. So I like the hire of Leftwich and hopefully the will send Baalke off into the sunset.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The reason I like the hire is because Leftwich is a former Jaguar and has played QB in the NFL, been both successful and gone through tough times too. So IMO, he should be able to relate to the upper tier guys on the roster plus players 45-53 as well.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The few times I watched the Cowboys I noticed a big difference in his offense against good defenses and bad defenses. The Cowboys play against a weak division and struggle with tough opponents. If Moore is head coaching material he's going to need to sort that out at some point. They ran up the score on their division rival and other teams like the Falcon and Panthers. Against teams like Denver and San Francisco they were scoring around 17 points.

I think Moore is a product of a weak schedule.
They scored 35 on the Patriots (#2 defense in the NFL), 29 on the Bucs (#5 defense in the NFL), and 27 on the Saints (#4 defense in the NFL).

Psycho_X

Legend
It's dumb. Teams are going to hire retreads and end up wishing in a couple years that they had the balls to hire Moore.

Definitely not. The Cowboys were #1 in PPG and YPG this year. They were #6 in PPG and #1 in YPG in 2019. In 2020, before Dak's injury, they were one of the top offenses in the NFL. Moore is a great play caller.
I don't question Moore's ability to be a great offensive playcaller. But leader of men and be able to manage an entire team, players, and coaches I'm not sold on yet. It would take a brave owner to hire him with his youth and that might pan out but i don't blame anyone for being a bit hesitant. McVay was an anomaly that as soon as you hear him speak you understand why he was viewed as head coaching material. He just has that aura about him. Moore seems like a nice, confident guy but when asked the big questions behind closed doors to an owner he might not project confidence in answers quite as well as McVay does. And I just use McVay since he was the youngest coach ever hired.

I do agree on the retread comment though. Anyone who hires Dan Quinn instead of giving a young or fresh guy a look is dumb. But I think there's enough talent being interview right now that aren't retreads that Moore might get bumped another year or two for more seasoning.

Yeah that would be a great hire for Lawrence for sure. The Baalke situation is weird though.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
They scored 35 on the Patriots (#2 defense in the NFL), 29 on the Bucs (#5 defense in the NFL), and 27 on the Saints (#4 defense in the NFL).
20 on the Chargers
41 on the Eagles
36 on the Panthers
20 on the Vikings
16 on the Broncos
43 on the Falcons
9 on the Chiefs
33 on the Raiders in O/T
27 on the WTF
21 on the Giants
56 on the WTF
22 on the Cardinals
56 on the Eagles
17 on the Niners

The Eagles, Panthers, Falcons and Washington helped run up their offensive totals. Ave 44.1 ppl

Against the Chargers, Broncos, Vikings, Chiefs and Niners they averaged 16.4 ppg

Good defenses vs bad defenses

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't question Moore's ability to be a great offensive playcaller. But leader of men and be able to manage an entire team, players, and coaches I'm not sold on yet. It would take a brave owner to hire him with his youth and that might pan out but i don't blame anyone for being a bit hesitant. McVay was an anomaly that as soon as you hear him speak you understand why he was viewed as head coaching material. He just has that aura about him. Moore seems like a nice, confident guy but when asked the big questions behind closed doors to an owner he might not project confidence in answers quite as well as McVay does. And I just use McVay since he was the youngest coach ever hired.

I do agree on the retread comment though. Anyone who hires Dan Quinn instead of giving a young or fresh guy a look is dumb. But I think there's enough talent being interview right now that aren't retreads that Moore might get bumped another year or two for more seasoning.
The only way he's going to sell you on that is by being a HC and winning. We were bold with McVay. The Steelers were bold back in the day with Mike Tomlin and Bill Cowher. The Bengals were bold with Zac Taylor. The Raiders were bold with Jon Gruden (the first time). It takes balls. You might miss (Raheem Morris, Lane Kiffin, Josh McDaniels, etc.), but at least you're going down swinging.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
20 on the Chargers
41 on the Eagles
36 on the Panthers
20 on the Vikings
16 on the Broncos
43 on the Falcons
9 on the Chiefs
33 on the Raiders in O/T
27 on the WTF
21 on the Giants
56 on the WTF
22 on the Cardinals
56 on the Eagles
17 on the Niners

The Eagles, Panthers, Falcons and Washington helped run up their offensive totals. Ave 44.1 ppl

Against the Chargers, Broncos, Vikings, Chiefs and Niners they averaged 16.4 ppg

Good defenses vs bad defenses
I repeat, they were the #1 offense in the NFL. The Chargers (#29 in the NFL) and Vikings (#24 in the NFL) didn't even have good defenses. But this is the NFL. You don't dominate every week.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I repeat, they were the #1 offense in the NFL. The Chargers (#29 in the NFL) and Vikings (#24 in the NFL) didn't even have good defenses. But this is the NFL. You don't dominate every week.
The Vikings and Chargers defenses were up and down I agree but they were still tough at times. Injuries and inconsistency but then a bit. What’s interesting is the Chargers have a bad run defense against a supposedly good running team.

You can love Clemens all you want. I’m not convinced and you cannot change my mind with telling me they had the number one offense in football. I could name a few coaches that I think could have gotten more from that talent laden group.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Vikings and Chargers defenses were up and down I agree but they were still tough at times. Injuries and inconsistency but then a bit. What’s interesting is the Chargers have a bad run defense against a supposedly good running team.

You can love Clemens all you want. I’m not convinced and you cannot change my mind with telling me they had the number one offense in football. I could name a few coaches that I think could have gotten more from that talent laden group.
They averaged roughly 30 PPG against the three top 5 defenses I named (which was directly responding to your argument that they weren't producing against good defenses). The Vikings and Chargers were both bottom 10 defenses.

As for the coaches you could name, that doesn't change the fact that Moore's offense finished ahead of theirs this year. You're certainly entitled to not be convinced, but the argument that their offensive success was a product of a weak schedule is a dubious one.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
They averaged roughly 30 PPG against the three top 5 defenses I named (which was directly responding to your argument that they weren't producing against good defenses). The Vikings and Chargers were both bottom 10 defenses.

As for the coaches you could name, that doesn't change the fact that Moore's offense finished ahead of theirs this year. You're certainly entitled to not be convinced, but the argument that their offensive success was a product of a weak schedule is a dubious one.
They played 6 games against NFC East defenses. That makes their offense look better.

Did I ever say Clemens wasn’t a good offensive coordinator? No. I said he was overrated. I don’t think he comes across as a head coaching material either.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
They played 6 games against NFC East defenses. That makes their offense look better.

Did I ever say Clemens wasn’t a good offensive coordinator? No. I said he was overrated. I don’t think he comes across as a head coaching material either.

Kellen Moore

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm torn on Moore and it's probably in large part due to their last playoff game and some terrible calls. His offense put up some good numbers and he's probably a good OC. Don't know if that translates to being a good HC just like for any coordinator but I'm sure he'll get a shot. Myself with recency bias I'd probably prefer other candidates. But then recency bias with a lot of these guys will be negative.

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I'm torn on Clemens and it's probably in large part due to their last playoff game and some terrible calls. His offense put up some good numbers and he's probably a good OC. Don't know if that translates to being a good HC just like for any coordinator but I'm sure he'll get a shot. Myself with recency bias I'd probably prefer other candidates. But then recency bias with a lot of these guys will be negative.
I think you mean Kellen Moore.