OFFICIAL 2022 NFL coaching carousel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's very weird he's going to be HC of the team that he busted with. (Leftwich was a top 10 pick for the Jaguars. But he didn't pan out. David Garrard ended up taking his job.)
I dont think he busted with them at all, he did bust his ankle though, then tried to play on it in a playoff game, then re-injured it the next year. Was never quite the same after that. Del Rio ran that team in to the ground, I dont think they've been any good since
He better take that Jax job before Arians retires. That Tampa team is gonna be a mess when Brady is gone

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont think he busted with them at all, he did bust his ankle though, then tried to play on it in a playoff game, then re-injured it the next year. Was never quite the same after that. Del Rio ran that team in to the ground, I dont think they've been any good since
He better take that Jax job before Arians retires. That Tampa team is gonna be a mess when Brady is gone
He lost his job to his backup and then got cut. He spent basically the rest of his career as a backup. He was the #7 pick. That's a bust.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He lost his job to his backup and then got cut. He spent basically the rest of his career as a backup. He was the #7 pick. That's a bust.
He lost his job to injury, not performance though

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm torn on Moore and it's probably in large part due to their last playoff game and some terrible calls. His offense put up some good numbers and he's probably a good OC. Don't know if that translates to being a good HC just like for any coordinator but I'm sure he'll get a shot. Myself with recency bias I'd probably prefer other candidates. But then recency bias with a lot of these guys will be negative.
Prolific college QB known for his leadership and winning. Then, a backup QB in the NFL respected for his intelligence and approach. He retired and basically jumped into a coaching job with Dallas, leading to him becoming OC at the age of 31. As OC, his offenses have consistently been great when Dak has been healthy. Every HC is a risk. That's a guy I'm risking it on.

People claimed we were taking a massive risk with McVay. I'd rather be early on a McVay than too late, especially when these teams are focusing on so many retreads.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He lost his job to injury, not performance though
No, it was performance. He and Garrard battled it out in the preseason. Garrard won the job. The Jaguars then cut Leftwich.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Prolific college QB known for his leadership and winning. Then, a backup QB in the NFL respected for his intelligence and approach. He retired and basically jumped into a coaching job with Dallas, leading to him becoming OC at the age of 31. As OC, his offenses have consistently been great when Dak has been healthy. Every HC is a risk. That's a guy I'm risking it on.

People claimed we were taking a massive risk with McVay. I'd rather be early on a McVay than too late, especially when these teams are focusing on so many retreads.
Completely get where you're coming from. And my local college plays Boise yearly so I saw him up close and personal every year. As I said he very well could be a good HC only time will tell plus I think I said earlier he's got another thing going for him most good NFL coaches weren't good NFL players.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
From Rotoworld:

The Raiders have requested permission to interview Bucs VP of player personnel John Spytek for their general manager vacancy.​

It is Spytek's second interview request after Minnesota reached out two weeks ago. He has worked alongside GM Jason Licht the past six years. Tampa's front office would not have been the first place teams looked for executive talent before Tom Brady arrived, though Brady did help highlight a roster that was stocked with talented pieces by Licht and his compatriots, just one that could not get over the top.
With that name, shouldn’t he be working for the Patriots?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

Guys who watch really closely are not impressed with his performance at OC.

Seems to be a view shared by many, seeing he hasn't gotten much buzz.

McVay? He was a hot prospect. They are not the same prospect at all.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Guys who watch really closely are not impressed with his performance at OC.

Seems to be a view shared by many, seeing he hasn't gotten much buzz.

McVay? He was a hot prospect. They are not the same prospect at all.
There were Washington fans that were not overly impressed with McVay, some said he abandons the run too fast and can get pass happy.

IMO, Moore has more of a quiet confidence about him, however, it might take another year of seasoning before he gets his chance.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
There were Washington fans that were not overly impressed with McVay, some said he abandons the run too fast and can get pass happy.

IMO, Moore has more of a quiet confidence about him, however, it might take another year of seasoning before he gets his chance.
I'm not talking about fans.

Mitchell Schwartz and Robert Mays on The Football Show on The Athletic broke down *why* they aren't impressed with him. At all.
Again, you don't hear much about him in this cycle.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think teams are starting to catch on with the importance of culture and having the leadership skills to install it. You gotta project these guys to some extent but with some of them that is easy to do. Listen to any of McVay's vids even the ones as OC back in the day and you can feel that, it's easy to imagine him installing that culture. Some of these hot coordinators though, meh.

Also I don't think there's anything special with Dallas in terms of their culture. They're a collection of players. If that roster was a team playing for each other we'd be playing them or would have already played them. Whereas say the Rams when you hire a McVay coach you're getting inside knowledge on how he does shit. How he gameplans. How he has the team travel. How much sugar he puts in his coffee etc. He's a rock star.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think teams are starting to catch on with the importance of culture and having the leadership skills to install it. You gotta project these guys to some extent but with some of them that is easy to do. Listen to any of McVay's vids even the ones as OC back in the day and you can feel that, it's easy to imagine him installing that culture. Some of these hot coordinators though, meh.

Also I don't think there's anything special with Dallas in terms of their culture. They're a collection of players. If that roster was a team playing for each other we'd be playing them or would have already played them. Whereas say the Rams when you hire a McVay coach you're getting inside knowledge on how he does shit. How he gameplans. How he has the team travel. How much sugar he puts in his coffee etc. He's a rock star.
If we were to apply that logic to McVay in Washington, he wouldn't have gotten the job. They went 8-7-1 and missed the playoffs the year we hired him. The previous year, they went 9-7 and lost in the Wild Card Round.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we were to apply that logic to McVay in Washington, he wouldn't have gotten the job. They went 8-7-1 and missed the playoffs the year we hired him. The previous year, they went 9-7 and lost in the Wild Card Round.
McVay never looked like a sulky teenager that needs to take the trash out. His intellect shows through every time the camera is on him. Moore is not even remotely in his class as a HC prospect. That intellect is what stopped the Rams in their tracks and pushed them to hire him in spite of not having interviewed their top candidate Shanahan that year.

McVay just stood out in that way I mentioned, in his leadership coming across and knowing he can install a culture. Which the Rams desperately needed more than anything else.

The point you seized upon was just a shot that Dallas doesn't have culture. Their offense doesn't have great culture either. But if you put on tape of that old Washington offense that McVay coordinated they routinely did more than they should for the talent they had. You could see that effect McVay had. Dallas is just a superb collection of talent by comparison and that factors in here along with his interviewing ability and intellect.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This site has an interesting quote that I think backs up what some of us see wrt Moore:

According to Aaron Wilson of Pro Football Network, Moore is not expected to receive a head-coaching offer from any of the teams he has interviewed with. Wilson cites “league sources not authorized to speak publicly” in his report.

Moore met with representatives from Jacksonville, Denver, Minnesota, and Miami over a span of about 12 days. But as per Wilson, “at least one hiring committee came away wondering if he has the commanding personality and leadership style to stand in front of an entire team and grab players’ attention.”