OFFICIAL 2022 NFL coaching carousel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What do teams look for when interviewing top coordinators? I guess they want their scheme, but a good coordinator doesn‘t gaurantee success leading an entire team. Two different skills.

So, I agree. It appears to me Morris has the HC makeup, in addition to being skilled at calling a defense.
I really think some of these owners are all over the map on what they prioritize so idk.

I think leadership is the top requirement. If the guy isn't owning the interview room he won't own a room with 90 players. And another thing that great HCs have in common is they were extremely effective as coordinators. If you can't run a third of the team at the highest level there's a good chance you can't run an entire team. Now with Morris that would seem to be a strike because he doesn't have a lot of coordinator experience, this past season was his first full season as a DC. But it should be noted he came into a high expectation environment learning a new scheme and seems to have a damn good handle on it now. Which is a positive since everyone wants guys who can run quarters now.

Those would be my two biggest requirements but then they have to have a good staff on paper and if you see a bunch of dipshit friends in all the positions steer clear lol.

I just feel like Morris has the most important thing down. He's been in the HC position too which helps. I don't see that as a negative by any means, he actually knows what the job entails. I do wonder what his coordinator and positional lists look like though.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I dunno, Giants have been my local fave and I hate seeing them down for so long, but a hire like Daboll to me is a carbon copy of the Shurmer/McAdoo/Judge shit pile
Good points I will leave it at this, Daboll did develop Tua as a Freshman that I pointed out, also before his arrival the Bills offense was abysmal and Daboll has been instrumental in it's turnaround. Before that I would agree and maybe the Giants would be better off going with Brian Flores for example, but I do like the offense Daboll runs and I also believe he would get the best out of Jones, but again, maybe Doug Pederson or Brian Flores would be a better way to go.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I keep asking other than Josh Allen, who did he benefit? And you keep bringing up Josh Allen.
In any event, the reason Tua even played was because Hurts regressed. So I'm not sure how Daboll get credit for Tua, (who really excelled under Locksley which is why his brother transferred to Maryland) but not knocked for Hurts?
Strange.
I dunno, Giants have been my local fave and I hate seeing them down for so long, but a hire like Daboll to me is a carbon copy of the Shurmer/McAdoo/Judge shit pile
The Giants should hire Brian Flores.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Against the Texans week 16 Lance went: 16/23, 69.4%, 10.8 yards pA and a 116 QBR.

Not too bad. Maybe he’s one that will benefit from better coaching

Maybe.

It’s early.

I don’t like fixing accuracy.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The Steelers will be in search of a new Defensive Coordinator. Keith Butler announced his retirement.

Wouldn't it be funny if the Steelers hired Martindale and then proceeded to have a better defense than Baltimore, for several seasons?

I don't know Tomlin's connections. I wonder who he is connected to besides Raheem Morris. Some think they will hire from within. They do have some good DCs that are available on the open market.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe Matt LaFleur needs a job after shitting the bed in Green Bay? If Oconnoll leave for a HC gig, we could could use an OC....

ml3QUe3.png

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Steelers will be in search of a new Defensive Coordinator. Keith Butler announced his retirement.

Wouldn't it be funny if the Steelers hired Martindale and then proceeded to have a better defense than Baltimore, for several seasons?

I don't know Tomlin's connections. I wonder who he is connected to besides Raheem Morris. Some think they will hire from within. They do have some good DCs that are available on the open market.
Martindale didn't impress me. He was a one-trick pony.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Martindale didn't impress me. He was a one-trick pony.
He was the Ravens DC since 2012 wasn’t he? They had some good defenses over the years.

I do think that the new trend of teams going to a Fangio/Staley defense may be what got him fired. He’s limited in that regard.

Martindale is very good designing pass rush packages.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Only since 2018.

Martindale was promoted from LB coach. Replaced Dean Pees as DC.
Thanks. He’s gotten a lot of credit for that defense being good in the last few years.

Like I mentioned maybe his strong suit isn’t pass coverage packages.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thanks. He’s gotten a lot of credit for that defense being good in the last few years.

Like I mentioned maybe his strong suit isn’t pass coverage packages.
I never paid much attention to them just knew they usually had a good defense. Ravens fans expected and wanted this. His defense was good if they had cover corners but when those went out he never made adjustments and their defense was getting torched.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I never paid much attention to them just knew they usually had a good defense. Ravens fans expected and wanted this. His defense was good if they had cover corners but when those went out he never made adjustments and their defense was getting torched.
I truly never considered him an upper echelon DC I thought Martindale was good, but was not close to previous Raven DC's like Rex Ryan & Marvin Lewis and IMO, I think Harbaugh made the right call.

Martindale will obviously get another opportunity and when he gets the gig fans of that team will be happy and talk him up, but again I like others better beginning with Vic Fangio for example.