OFFICIAL 2022 NFL coaching carousel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Daboll did well at Alabama & IMO transformed Josh Allen who everybody said couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn.
Did Daboll do something miraculous or was it that Allen just had crap for coaching until he got to the NFL?

Is Daboll a known QB guru? I really don’t know his history well. I’m just asking. It seems that sometimes the wrong guys get the credit, or too much of the credit when things go right. I’m always skeptical off guys that seem to have worked miracles.

Vkingsfan

UDFA
Where's this Morris to Vikings momentum coming from?
I've no idea where it started but once you start looking at the guy, you get impressed quickly.
You realize he has HC experience. He's the second youngest head coach in the super bowl era, but even he admits he wasn't ready... Going out to party with the team to bond.... he'd never even been a coordinator before. But now.... he does have 3 years of HC experience....

Then you hear things like he loved sitting in those assistants rooms with guys like Mcvay, Shannahan, and Lafleur arguing football. Got so good at it that for 5 years he became a recievers coach and passing game coordinator. Julio Jones said he gave him a totally new perspective on being a receiver by teaching him how defenses looked at him and game planned him.

So we've got a former prodigy with head coaching experience who knows both sides of the ball, his players love him, his peers respect him, he's a great communicator and.... This is the big one... He's available.

We're insane up here, but the good kind of insane. Raheem Morris' resume is insane, but the good kind of insane. It's a perfect fit.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I've no idea where it started but once you start looking at the guy, you get impressed quickly. We fans argue about OC or DC. Here's a guy thats coached both sides. Then Mike Tomlin says he remembers being in awe of how quickly the guy learned things the working with him. Mike Tomlin holds a lot weight with Vikings fans, we let him go to Pittsburgh then fired Denny Green a year later. Jalen Ramsey calls him the best coach he's ever played for. Jalen Ramsey was the only one who shut Justin Jefferson down.

Then you realize he has HC experience. He's the second youngest head coach in the super bowl era, but even he admits he wasn't ready... Going out to party with the team to bond.... he'd never even been a coordinator before. But now.... he does have 3 years of HC experience....

Then you hear things like he loved sitting in those assistants rooms with guys like Mcvay, Shannahan, and Lafleur arguing football. Got so good at it that for 5 years he became a recievers coach and passing game coordinator. Julio Jones said he gave him a totally new perspective on being a receiver by teaching him how defenses looked at him and game planned him.

So we've got a former prodigy with head coaching experience who knows both sides of the ball, his players love him, his peers respect him, he's a great communicator and.... This is the big one... He's available.

We're insane up here, but the good kind of insane. Raheem Morris' resume is insane, but the good kind of insane. It's a perfect fit.
Or he could just be a really good coordinator.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Daboll did well at Alabama & IMO transformed Josh Allen who everybody said couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn.
Hard to believe he transformed Allen when his record with qb in the nfl prior was not stellar. Again that’s why I ask the question what has he done other than Allen? 1 year at Alabama? That offense was already evolving because of Mcelwain and then Kiffin changed Sabans mindset. Dabol basically held serve in his one season before Mike Locksley took it to a new level and then of course Sarkisian even higher. I dunno, if one is critical of OBrien’s offense I don’t know how to appreciate Dabol.
We’ll see. Be interesting to see who gets interviewed. At least we know it’s not Harbaugh thank god

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did Daboll do something miraculous or was it that Allen just had crap for coaching until he got to the NFL?

Is Daboll a known QB guru? I really don’t know his history well. I’m just asking. It seems that sometimes the wrong guys get the credit, or too much of the credit when things go right. I’m always skeptical off guys that seem to have worked miracles.
I think the league just missed on Allen and was too hung up on old philosophies.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I've no idea where it started but once you start looking at the guy, you get impressed quickly.
You realize he has HC experience. He's the second youngest head coach in the super bowl era, but even he admits he wasn't ready... Going out to party with the team to bond.... he'd never even been a coordinator before. But now.... he does have 3 years of HC experience....

As the local hog farming, Busch light slamming alcoholic who has a clear distain for Morris, I'll say this.. and I've been clearly and vocally against him all year..

The last few weeks he's shown improvement. The Defense has played better, and it's been clear. For the first 3/4 of the season I've been incredibly hard on him.

My problems stem from his lack of aggression at times. It's let teams back into the game and even lost us games. But he's learned from his mistakes it seems. And I'm not so sure us handing the cards and asswhooping last week wasn't so much then being bad, as it was out Defense led by MORRIS playing great and finally aggressive.

He's a incredible human and leader. His charisma and energy is off the charts. Seems like an incredible guy. I love his interviews and he seems to know a ton.and the players love him.

I do believe he'd be a better HC than coordinator, he knows a ton of people and would hire the right people.

And as I said, no one had been as hard on him here as me, and that's my take.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
As the local hog farming, Busch light slamming alcoholic who has a clear distain for Morris, I'll say this.. and I've been clearly and vocally against him all year..

The last few weeks he's shown improvement. The Defense has played better, and it's been clear. For the first 3/4 of the season I've been incredibly hard on him.

My problems stem from his lack of aggression at times. It's let teams back into the game and even lost us games. But he's learned from his mistakes it seems. And I'm not so sure us handing the cards and asswhooping last week wasn't so much then being bad, as it was out Defense led by MORRIS playing great and finally aggressive.

He's a incredible human and leader. His charisma and energy is off the charts. Seems like an incredible guy. I love his interviews and he seems to know a ton.and the players love him.

I do believe he'd be a better HC than coordinator, he knows a ton of people and would hire the right people.

And as I said, no one had been as hard on him here as me, and that's my take.
As Jourdan put it, Morris often got a little too ‘Tampa twoey’ at times.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Up until him there was a belief that inaccuracy in college guaranteed inaccuracy in the NFL. I bought into it. It totally overlooks coaching or lack there of.
I think the league just missed on Allen and was too hung up on old philosophies.
I don't really consider Josh Allen the exception that disproves the rule. Sometimes, guys just overcome it. At the end of the day, if I see an inaccurate QB in college, I'm not betting a top pick that he'll overcome it in the NFL. I might miss out on the Josh Allens of the world, but I'll also miss out on the ten Jake Lockers, Kyle Bollers, and Josh Freemans for the one Josh Allen.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't really consider Josh Allen the exception that disproves the rule. Sometimes, guys just overcome it. At the end of the day, if I see an inaccurate QB in college, I'm not betting a top pick that he'll overcome it in the NFL. I might miss out on the Josh Allens of the world, but I'll also miss out on the ten Jake Lockers, Kyle Bollers, and Josh Freemans for the one Josh Allen.
That’s fair, but be that as it may, I don’t believe that it was Brian Daboll pulling some sort of qb magic on him.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
What I'm getting at is maybe a players college coaching should be scrutinized a bit more when deciding if some NFL personnel is deciding if a players mechanics can be fixed or not. I don't know who Allen's QB coaches were but they likely didn't have the same level of experience as Bill O'Brien did when coaching Christian Hackenburg. BO'b got more out of him than many could.

I'm also a believer in the it factor. For example no coach made Aaron Donald. He'd have been good on any team, just like Kahlil Mack at Buffalo in college. But that's not to say being taught some technique won't improve their play.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What I'm getting at is maybe a players college coaching should be scrutinized a bit more when deciding if some NFL personnel is deciding if a players mechanics can be fixed or not. I don't know who Allen's QB coaches were but they likely didn't have the same level of experience as Bill O'Brien did when coaching Christian Hackenburg. BO'b got more out of him than many could.

I'm also a believer in the it factor. For example no coach made Aaron Donald. He'd have been good on any team, just like Kahlil Mack at Buffalo in college. But that's not to say being taught some technique won't improve their play.
Maybe. But it's all guesswork. As for the "it" factor, I've never been a believer in it. I think "it" can be explained via traits. Certainly those traits are intangible. But they can still be characterized.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He's grown a ton as a DC for us over the season and is on quite a run right now with a month and a half of great outings. This is why opinions on him are all over.

But as a head coach a different skill set comes into play. Morris is a leader. I think he's gonna be a better head coach than he has been as a DC. And as a DC he might be good enough for the Rams to win it all.

I think it's fucking insane that he's not a top candidate. I'm not the only one seeing his pressers. The guy has what you want to run an organization.

What do teams look for when interviewing top coordinators? I guess they want their scheme, but a good coordinator doesn‘t gaurantee success leading an entire team. Two different skills.

So, I agree. It appears to me Morris has the HC makeup, in addition to being skilled at calling a defense.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Trey Lance

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Maybe. But it's all guesswork. As for the "it" factor, I've never been a believer in it. I think "it" can be explained via traits. Certainly those traits are intangible. But they can still be characterized.
I used it as a general descriptor. Some guys are just good and will always be good. AD would have played well at USC, or SMU, or Kutztown.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
We’ll see. Be interesting to see who gets interviewed. At least we know it’s not Harbaugh thank god
Here is the way I look at it, Brian Daboll was very high on Tua at Alabama and even felt that Tua should be starting over Hurts and people give Daboll plenty of credit for the way Tua played as a true freshmen leading them to victory over Georgia in the National Championship Game.

Plus before Daboll arrived in Buffalo they were a mess offensively under McDermott and Allen really could not pass well, Daboll has transformed that offense and he's used Allen exquisitely, so IMO, I think he would be an excellent hire for the Giants with Jones or even with Miami because he knows Tua, but again, JMHO.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Here is the way I look at it, Brian Daboll was very high on Tua at Alabama and even felt that Tua should be starting over Hurts and people give Daboll plenty of credit for the way Tua played as a true freshmen leading them to victory over Georgia in the National Championship Game.

Plus before Daboll arrived in Buffalo they were a mess offensively under McDermott and Allen really could not pass well, Daboll has transformed that offense and he's used Allen exquisitely, so IMO, I think he would be an excellent hire for the Giants with Jones or even with Miami because he knows Tua, but again, JMHO.
I keep asking other than Josh Allen, who did he benefit? And you keep bringing up Josh Allen.
In any event, the reason Tua even played was because Hurts regressed. So I'm not sure how Daboll get credit for Tua, (who really excelled under Locksley which is why his brother transferred to Maryland) but not knocked for Hurts?
Strange.
I dunno, Giants have been my local fave and I hate seeing them down for so long, but a hire like Daboll to me is a carbon copy of the Shurmer/McAdoo/Judge shit pile