OFFICIAL 2022 NFL coaching carousel

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
That one pick, since we're getting picks from Holmes already we'd get one from Brown it looks like.
I think that only applies if you lose two coaches in the same yr. They won't give you 4 picks... Only 3.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Someone has to look at and hire Raheem Morris. Right? Please?
Sure, he's one who's been mentioned. But there are so many candidates it's no sure thing. Like Den, who likes offensive minded head coaches, so do most owners and GMs. There are only 7 defensive minded head coaches in charge and 3 of them are in the AFC East. With Fangio or Flores available and Quinn or Morris being talked up, 2 of them might get hired but 3? Is Morris in the top two or bottom two? All 4 have head coaching experience.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think that only applies if you lose two coaches in the same yr. They won't give you 4 picks... Only 3.
And as I and others have said the wording isn't very clear on this type of situation so we'll have to see what happens if we lose him to a HC position.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Moore makes extras sense being a Boise guy. I've heard his named mentioned a lot from Bronco fans.
Plus history showcases the Broncos are better with offensive coaches, Reeves, Shanahan & Kubiak for example.

Keep in mind that Bronco GM George Paton has worked with Dan Quinn in the past, but regardless I still believe it will be the Cowboys OC in Moore and not Quinn, which is being reported as I just don't see Denver hiring 3 defensive coaches in a row.

Last edited:

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
And as I and others have said the wording isn't very clear on this type of situation so we'll have to see what happens if we lose him to a HC position.
What if we lose him for an OC job like Tennessee did to us a few years ago. We then get nothing. Bird in hand.
But yeah, I’d like to keep him - at least for one more year and then he gets a HC job.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do believe the Vikings will hire a GM first here and for no other reason I believe the front runner for the Vikings GM job is Eliot Wolf formerly of the Packers and now with New England. I would be shocked if O'Connell lands a Head Coaching gig, but strangers things have happened.
Since they already interviewed him KoC could be somebody he mentioned being interested in as a HC, him and one of the other GM candidates they're considering.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yup the new rules for hiring OC/DC have definitely opened the door for more guys to interview, and that's a good thing. Like anything else, nothing helps one get better at something more than repetitions. That said, Eric Bieniemy was allegedly really bad in his interviews, hoping that the experience has allowed him to get better at it.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yup the new rules for hiring OC/DC have definitely opened the door for more guys to interview, and that's a good thing. Like anything else, nothing helps one get better at something more than repetitions. That said, Eric Bieniemy was allegedly really bad in his interviews, hoping that the experience has allowed him to get better at it.
From what I read, and yes all hearsay, his past indiscretions at Colorado are as big of a red flag as his bad interviews have been. When you combine them you get a picture of why he's still an OC.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
From what I read, and yes all hearsay, his past indiscretions at Colorado are as big of a red flag as his bad interviews have been. When you combine them you get a picture of why he's still an OC.
Yeah, I still haven't read much about his indiscretions I also believe his interviews cannot be that bad, the Colorado stories more likely.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This is what I found.
Bieniemy was a running back for the Bengals from 1995 to 1998, but before that, he was a star running back at Colorado University. While there, he ran into a bit of trouble. In his freshman year, he was involved in an altercation at a bar where he was called a racial slur. He plead no contest to the charge and was sentence to community service. The following year, trouble continued finding Bieniemy.

Over the course of his collegiate career, Bieniemy’s driving record was docked several times in Colorado for a multitude of minor occurrences, but they piled up to the point where he had his license suspended for a year. Months later in March, he was caught speeding in the state and was forced to post a $1,000 bond. He failed to appear for his court date for driving with a suspended license and then was faced with several weeks in jail for leaving the scene of an accident just weeks later.

“I thought once you exchanged information you could leave the scene,” Bieniemy said. “I went home and reported it to the police and then they arrested me for leaving the scene.”

On July 4th, 1990, firefighters were called to his mother’s residence after a small fire broke out due to fireworks belonging to his younger brother igniting in a plastic bag in his garage. Firefighters attempted to breach the garage wall, thinking it was an electrical fire and Bieniemy attempted to stop them from doing so.

“Since the fire was next to the wall, they thought it was electrical. I said, ‘Excuse me, sir, the fire started in the trash bag.’ I feel that if somebody is going to tear down your wall you should stop them. But basically I interfered with fire department policy.” Bieniemy explained. The incident lead to a one-game suspension for the star running back.

Bieniemy’s pro career was mostly clean from incident, but he was banned from Colorado’s campus for a year after harassing and assaulting a parking attendant working during a Colorado football game in 1993. His time coaching at Colorado upon his retirement from the NFL brought more trouble.

In 2001, Bieniemy was hired as Colorado’s running backs coach, but was arrested in April of that year for a DUI. As a known legend in the program, Bieniemy was also a major figure in the recruiting process. During his two years there, several rape allegations were pressed against Colorado players, and Bieniemy’s time there ended while the school was under investigation.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I imagine the two go hand in hand. Just from my experience in hiring/ interviewing, if/when asked about his past indiscretions, how he handles the subject probably could be more of a red flag than the indiscretions themselves. We'll see.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd like to see O'Connell go take a HC job. Feels to me at least like we lost some creativity when LaFleur left for Green Bay. McVay does have HC duties (meaning he has a ton of shit to manage) so there's room for the team to benefit from an upgrade at OC.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay's OC's and offensive position coaches getting interviewed by other clubs. Name a more iconic duo.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I'd like to see O'Connell go take a HC job. Feels to me at least like we lost some creativity when LaFleur left for Green Bay. McVay does have HC duties (meaning he has a ton of shit to manage) so there's room for the team to benefit from an upgrade at OC.
O'Connell is a really sharp dude. Wish he was calling plays for us. If he came with a strong defensive coordinator (as McVay did) I think he would be an outstanding hire for head coach. Our other former OCs seem to be doing ok as head coaches.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good news. UF just hired the Giants DL Coach, so Henderson might be staying.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Good news. UF just hired the Giants DL Coach, so Henderson might be staying.
I wonder how much availability and the need to hit the recruiting trail ASAP may have worked against Henderson, or if he just didn't want it.. or if they just went in a different direction.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That one pick, since we're getting picks from Holmes already we'd get one from Brown it looks like.
It would be two. This is the rule:
"The employer-club of a minority employee who has been hired by another club as its Head Coach or Primary Football Executive (General Manager) shall receive Draft choice compensation in the form of a compensatory Draft pick in the third round in each of the next two Drafts for an employee hired as either a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive, or for the next three Drafts if it has two employees hired for both positions. The reference to the hiring of employees into “both positions” could be by the same club or different clubs. The following will apply to the Draft choice compensation:
a. Any compensatory Draft picks awarded pursuant to this Policy will be at the end of the third round following all compensatory Draft picks awarded to clubs pursuant to Appendix V of the NFL-NFLPA Collective Bargaining Agreement.
b. If multiple clubs are awarded compensatory Draft picks pursuant to this Policy, then the order of those picks at the end of the third round will follow the original selection order for that Draft established prior to any trades or other adjustments."

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It would be two. This is the rule:
"The employer-club of a minority employee who has been hired by another club as its Head Coach or Primary Football Executive (General Manager) shall receive Draft choice compensation in the form of a compensatory Draft pick in the third round in each of the next two Drafts for an employee hired as either a Head Coach or Primary Football Executive, or for the next three Drafts if it has two employees hired for both positions. The reference to the hiring of employees into “both positions” could be by the same club or different clubs. The following will apply to the Draft choice compensation:
a. Any compensatory Draft picks awarded pursuant to this Policy will be at the end of the third round following all compensatory Draft picks awarded to clubs pursuant to Appendix V of the NFL-NFLPA Collective Bargaining Agreement.
b. If multiple clubs are awarded compensatory Draft picks pursuant to this Policy, then the order of those picks at the end of the third round will follow the original selection order for that Draft established prior to any trades or other adjustments."
I certainly hope so and think that's the way. But the part of two being hired they separate the picks to 1 a year then give out only 3 not 4. They clearly don't want you to get multiple picks for this rule in one year. So do we get 2 after our 2 Holmes picks or is it only 1 because we're in the process of getting 2? Like I said we'll see when/if it happens and we get clarity. But by what you and I have posted there that bolded tells us they won't give you two picks in a year. Again we'll see what is awarded if a team gets more of these picks after this off season. It's a one year old rule there will be clarification coming since we obviously haven't seen this situation yet.