49'ers 2022/23 San Francisco 49’ers Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

49ers advantage No. 4: Niners have better edge-rushing prowess
49ers advantage No. 3: Rams have the weaker linebacker corps
49ers advantage No. 2: ‘Home-field’ advantage twice
49ers advantage No. 1: Rams have the tougher NFL schedule

I’ll give them #4 out of the gate, but the author missed this one;

49’ers disadvantage No. 1: Trey Lance… :laugh4:

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This Gif has the 49's fans reaction for the NFC Championship: 3rd Quarter 49'S fans (lady jumping around) and the 4th Quarter (guy in white shirt) after Jimmy G's Interception throw to Travin Howard to end the game.

The bad taste left in their mouth is just glorious! They may want "Retribution", but, in a million years, they will never ever live that loss down.

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1541622842214813699

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
49ers advantage No. 4: Niners have better edge-rushing prowess
49ers advantage No. 3: Rams have the weaker linebacker corps
49ers advantage No. 2: ‘Home-field’ advantage twice
49ers advantage No. 1: Rams have the tougher NFL schedule

I’ll give them #4 out of the gate, but the author missed this one;

49’ers disadvantage No. 1: Trey Lance… :laugh4:

That trade still blows my mind.They probably could have had him at say the 15th pick ? Jimmy G though has been tough against The Rams.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Bobby Wagner & Floyd are not bad LBers. The Rams have a couple other nice pieces that could step up ?
The schedule isn’t easy,but will make The Rams tougher.Silly Brady cameback once he saw Tampa’s schedule.Rams are still the team to beat.

oldnotdead

Legend
This Gif has the 49's fans reaction for the NFC Championship: 3rd Quarter 49'S fans (lady jumping around) and the 4th Quarter (guy in white shirt) after Jimmy G's Interception throw to Travin Howard to end the game.

The bad taste left in their mouth is just glorious! They may want "Retribution", but, in a million years, they will never ever live that loss down.

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1541622842214813699

This is what I talked about during the playoffs. Beating the Niners in the Championship game would rip their hearts out. Meanwhile they got rid of Rodgers and Dallas while the Rams trampled Murray and company and dominated the Bucs until their own mistakes allowed the Bucs to tie it up. Then Kupp and Stafford ripped their hearts out.

In the NFC Championship game the Rams win was a punch in the gut for the Niner fans who haven't gotten over it yet.

It all went according to plan and now the Niners are still whining about it. They aren't the same team this year. They've lost OG Tomlinson, backup RG is slated to be their starting Center and RB Mostert and most of all they will be with first year starter Trey Lance.

I think the Niners will be fighting with the Cards to be #2 in the NFCW and I think they will drop the Cards to #3. If the Cards give Murray his contract he will decide he has nothing to prove and the only thing he will prove is that he's too immature to lead an NFL team. If they don't give him his contract then he will pout the entire season.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Could Trey Lance scramble Rams’ Super Bowl hopes?​

The Los Angeles Rams’ window for contention will remain open for the next two to three years, based on the remaining contract duration for star players like Matthew Stafford, Aaron Donald, Jalen Ramsey, and Cooper Kupp.

One threat to that contention window, however, could be the development and potential emergence of second-year quarterback Trey Lance for the San Francisco 49ers. The 49ers traded a heap of draft capital, two first rounders and a third round selection - similar to what the Rams gave up for Stafford, in order to take Lance third overall in 2021.

But a year later, Lance is still an unknown commodity in the NFL.

A strong performance from the young quarterback could propel the 49ers, who made it all the way to the NFC championship game a year ago, into legitimate contending status.

While Lance is a supremely talented athlete, he’s still an extremely raw prospect at quarterback. He made just a single start during his 2020 season at North Dakota State and threw only 318 attempts in his college career. For reference, Stafford threw almost twice that number of passes in 2021 at 601 and had 404 completions.

In other words, Lance could easily be the next young star signal caller or he could spell the end of Kyle Shanahan’s time in San Francisco. His skillset and relative inexperience allow for a wide range of outcomes - and it’s possible that over time and over his NFL career we see performances at both the high and low ends of this spectrum.

It could take a while for Trey Lance to become the player that Shanahan envisioned when he took the quarterback at the top of the draft - and perhaps there is no better quantification of that need for development than the metric outlined below.

Lance led the NFL in average time to throw last season (3.37 seconds), per PFF.

View: https://twitter.com/lombardihimself/status/1539724539344584705?s=21&t=ytaHXc2BxmSI9mp01Y5sKw

David Lombardi of The Athletic draws a line between Lance’s time to throw as a rookie to that of then-rookie Josh Allen, and Allen is an example of a team investing in a toolsie, raw quarterback and watching him develop into an elite signal caller. Patrick Mahomes is also mentioned as an athletic quarterback that scrambles around and buys time to throw, and that’s the blueprint for what could make Lance successful in the NFL.

But teams have invested in quarterbacks with rocket arms and scrambling ability for years, and Allen’s maturation and development seems to be more of the exception than the rule.

Think Blake Bortles with the Jacksonville Jaguars. Compare Lance to the up-and-down career of another developmental product out of North Dakota State, Carson Wentz. Drew Lock and Christian Hackenberg were drafted later than Allen in the second round, but both were considered big bodies with strong arms - neither were able to overcome issues with accuracy and found little success in the NFL.

While the high-end, spectacular plays will win the hearts of Twitter users and SportsCenter watchers, it’s the routine throws that equate to long-term success in the pros. This is where Wentz’s career has gone off the rails at times - and this is also where Lance needs the most improvement.

View: https://twitter.com/zkeefer/status/1481677996864032771?s=21&t=RCVZTT9X4MoYbjStTOtMqg

The 49ers have a unique offensive scheme with a number of unique offensive talents. George Kittle runs routes like a receiver and blocks like a tackle. Fullback Kyle Juszczyk catches passes like a tight end and clears running lanes like a snow plow. Receivers Deebo Samuel and Brandon Aiyuk can run the ball out of the backfield but are also adept at earning tough yards after the catch downfield.

In a way Lance is just the next versatile playmaker in Shanahan’s war chest, though in other ways it’s fair to wonder if the uniqueness of the offense could hinder the development of the young signal caller.

Lance enters the 2022 season as one of the most enigmatic players in all of the NFL. Could he be the incremental upgrade over Jimmy Garoppolo the team needs in order to make it back to the Super Bowl, or will he prove to be more of an athlete than professional signal caller?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
In a way Lance is just the next versatile playmaker in Shanahan’s war chest, though in other ways it’s fair to wonder if the uniqueness of the offense could hinder the development of the young signal caller.

Lance enters the 2022 season as one of the most enigmatic players in all of the NFL. Could he be the incremental upgrade over Jimmy Garoppolo the team needs in order to make it back to the Super Bowl, or will he prove to be more of an athlete than professional signal caller?
Probably one of the better pieces I've read on Lance. I respect Kyle Shanahan, I don't like him because of who he represents, but I respect him. All of us want an epic failure of Lance, hell, some of us would want an epic fail and then to sign on with the Rams and become the next Steve Young, but highly doubtful.

IMO, Lance is raw and what he lacks in consistency, he will make up for in big play capability. The hope here will be a far and few between making the 49ers the team that got off to the 2-5 start more then the team that closed the season 7-2.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
Is there any agent worse than the one who got Jimmy G to sign this contract?

Basically 9ers can hold him until August and cut him and pay him nothing for the season! At least that’s what Ive read. Puts the player in an impossible situation.

If 9ers cut him in August, Jimmy G is screwed. No way he gets a big contact that late.
if I’m a player on 9ers, certainly wouldn’t trust them if they do this.

Do others see this as well?

Compare this to Rams trading Woods early to a desired destination for low compensation.

I think a big reason that players like Rams organization and not others

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Whenever I'm feeling bummed out or depressed, I watch one of those "Whiner fan reaction" videos.

They always cheer me up.
Sad Arrested Development GIF

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Shanny is going to have to shape that offense for a QB who can't get through reads. So we'll see the typical half field shit, schemed runs and run/pass decision making, and use of him threatening the edge to ease the chains. Think Baltimore's offense. He's just nowhere near the stud Lamar is as a runner. He's a big strong athlete but he'll get dinged up and miss time if they can't get him throwing the ball enough.

I think the 9ers are a basement team in 2022 for this reason. Shanny's good but he's going to need Garoppolo if he wants to threaten in this division. You're not gonna win the NFCW with a second year QB who doesn't have a handle on the basics. But the 9ers are hell bent on improving the position so they're gonna need to give him a long look and that's gonna cost them in the standings IMO.

Tano

Legend
Whenever I'm feeling bummed out or depressed, I watch one of those "Whiner fan reaction" videos.

They always cheer me up.
Sad Arrested Development GIF
That show cracked me up - especially when they did the Charlie Brown music with these walks

This is what I talked about during the playoffs. Beating the Niners in the Championship game would rip their hearts out. Meanwhile they got rid of Rodgers and Dallas while the Rams trampled Murray and company and dominated the Bucs until their own mistakes allowed the Bucs to tie it up. Then Kupp and Stafford ripped their hearts out.

In the NFC Championship game the Rams win was a punch in the gut for the Niner fans who haven't gotten over it yet.

It all went according to plan and now the Niners are still whining about it. They aren't the same team this year. They've lost OG Tomlinson, backup RG is slated to be their starting Center and RB Mostert and most of all they will be with first year starter Trey Lance.

I think the Niners will be fighting with the Cards to be #2 in the NFCW and I think they will drop the Cards to #3. If the Cards give Murray his contract he will decide he has nothing to prove and the only thing he will prove is that he's too immature to lead an NFL team. If they don't give him his contract then he will pout the entire season.
Whiners finished 7th in rushing last year......without Mostert. I don't think his absence from the team is as detrimental as you may believe.

I understand this is a Ram board / forum and the Whiners are much despised but....to say they or ANY other team "aren't the same team this year" is too much homerism for me. We aren't the same team this year either. No Von, possibly starting a rookie OG after losing Corbett, signed an aging Wagner, our stalwart LT retired, and Matt needed an injection in this throwing arm not too long ago. So yeah, I hope the loss of their OG hurts, whoever they put at C struggles and Lance is like a deer in headlights. But we have our own question marks.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is there any agent worse than the one who got Jimmy G to sign this contract?

Basically 9ers can hold him until August and cut him and pay him nothing for the season! At least that’s what Ive read. Puts the player in an impossible situation.

If 9ers cut him in August, Jimmy G is screwed. No way he gets a big contact that late.
if I’m a player on 9ers, certainly wouldn’t trust them if they do this.

Do others see this as well?

Compare this to Rams trading Woods early to a desired destination for low compensation.

I think a big reason that players like Rams organization and not others

jimmy g should be kissing his agent's feet for the deal he got him.

the whiners paid him freaking $42m back in 2018. a career back up who started a handful of games and always injured when he got a start.

and $74m guaranteed. back end of deals are never guaranteed, unless you're the freaking browns.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Shanny is going to have to shape that offense for a QB who can't get through reads. So we'll see the typical half field shit, schemed runs and run/pass decision making, and use of him threatening the edge to ease the chains. Think Baltimore's offense. He's just nowhere near the stud Lamar is as a runner. He's a big strong athlete but he'll get dinged up and miss time if they can't get him throwing the ball enough.

Think Baltimore's offense or pull out the memories of RGIII. I totally forgot that Shanny was RGIII's OC when RGIII looked not bad. The idea of Shanny reviving the RGIII offense for Trey got some run going into last year:

RGIII didn't like running out of bounds. Trey doesn't like sliding to avoid getting hit. If the 9ers do run that offense, we'll see if Trey's mid/long term health mirrors RGIII's health, and the lack thereof.
--------------------------------------
Random video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DyFiCyHbVY

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEPAi6Rg_pc

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I understand this is a Ram board / forum and the Whiners are much despised but....to say they or ANY other team "aren't the same team this year" is too much homerism for me. We aren't the same team this year either. No Von, possibly starting a rookie OG after losing Corbett, signed an aging Wagner, our stalwart LT retired, and Matt needed an injection in this throwing arm not too long ago.

These are all legit comments, and genuine concerns but there are also reasons for optimism.

Stafford could be more effective in his 2nd-year under McVay / System and with many of the same receivers.

A healthy Akers for a full season could be a strength. McVay had huge plans for him last season.

Robinson could represent a improvement at a position that has been a strength. Teams will focus on Kupp. For the first time in his career, Robinson will not be the WR opponents will be most focused upon.

ILB could become a strength. Jones is a talent but he was a rookie last season, and was injured on two separate occasions. He could take a big step forward in 2022. Wagner's best years may well be behind him but he figures to be a big improvement over Reeder who tried hard but was limited; and, often was a liability (such as the 2nd half of the NFC Championship Game). Howard is still around; and has a useful skill-set for specific situations.

Gaines and Robinson were dominant late in the season and in the Playoffs. Heck, Gaines was not even a starter before Joseph-Day went-down. Those two, with Donald, could represent a stronger D-Line than the Rams had most of last year.

Safety could be a much stronger position. The Rams lost their starting safeties right before the Playoffs. Rapp and Fuller are back. Scott played well in the Playoffs. McVay and Morris are talking-up Burgess. The Rams drafted two more safeties late in the Draft but that could be more about 2023.

The Rams got nothing from rookie WRs Atwell and Harris last year, with both on Injured Reserve. Injuries forced Skowronek to play a significant role last year. That's three second-year-WRs with very different skill-sets. Any one (or more) could prove to be useful weapons in their second seasons.

TE could be stronger. Blanton looked really good in the Playoffs; and Hopkins came out of nowhere to be a huge contributor in the Super Bowl. Given the stage, both young TEs really came through.

Just saying that these optimistic / hopeful comments are also legitimate.

I do completely agree that it's a new year, and every year is different Also think the Niners are loaded, and should not be underestimated. Although San Francisco has a huge ? at the most important position ... assuming Garoppolo is traded.

Last edited: