2021 Rams “D” Front talk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Can we please talk Rams Defensive Front 7 ? Seven

Last edited:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am excited to see more from A’Shawn Robinson. A full season of him could be a nice addition.

Marquise Copeland is an interesting guy who has hung around. 3rd off-season we’ve signed him.

B9AB617C-8303-4E21-8E47-BE18AA8C924C.png

fearsomefour

Legend
Donald, Robinson, Joseph-Day, Gaines make for a solid rotation with Gaines making year two improvements as Joseph-Day did before him.
The shelf his hardly bare after Brockers and Fox have left.
That said would love to see the Rams add a rookie DL pretty early in their draft along with elevating a PS squad guy.
With Robinson, Joseph-Day and Gaines the Rams have three solid vs the run DL.
I feel they need another player that can offer some explosion.
Is there a “play making” DL that will be available where the Rams are drafting in the 2nd and 3rd round?

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I would be stunned if DL was our pick at 57.

I’m expecting/hoping for one of the following:

LOT
CB
C
Edge

In no particular order. Let BPA at one of those positions be the decider.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Losing Brockers and Fox is going to sting us a little more than we want it to this year. I hope Robinson is healthy and can be a force against the run like Brockers is up front.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am excited to see more from A’Shawn Robinson. A full season of him could be a nice addition.

Marquise Copeland is an interesting guy who has hung around. 3rd off-season we’ve signed him.

View attachment 44754

Eric Banks - is another guy like that. Named as a DL. He looks real compact.I have a feeling he might be better than M.Copeland. He actually looks more like SJD.

No doubt A. Robinson should be fun to watch.He is just a bug dude,that can get jacked up.Took a little bit to fit in though.The Ram veteran DL was a tight nit group as well.Not having the preseason & missing 1/2 the 2020 season didn’t help.Now he gets to take on a bigger role.

The other rookies I’ll get into later.Yeah like most young players from 2020 it’s hard to judge without training camp & a preseason. Even reporters didn’t get much inside info.
-I do like this LA group of reporters who McSnead is getting really use to
because of all the different press association. 3 different sports sections as an example. Oc times,la times,pilot,press-telegram,register as examples.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
It will be interesting to see if these 3 practice squad members can breakthrough the Defensive front seven
Marquise Copeland
DT
6-2

Michael Hoecht
DT
6-4

Jonah Williams
DE
6-5

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I had to look this up.... I believe when making the move to activate Lewis they cut Banks over Copeland. If I am seeing this right.

If that signals anything who knows?

View: https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/1314953909513854977?s=20

I believe Copeland was already on the Practice Squad at this time. It really only tells me that Staley had more faith in Fox as a DE than what we had opposite of Floyd at OLB.
Copeland had pretty limited snaps playing 5T during the 2019 pre-season, but I thought he looked like a promising candidate at the time. I wouldn't be surprised to see Copeland getting more interior snaps at 3T this next pre-season. Both Eric Banks & Jonah Williams have the physical traits i'd more like to see at 5T. Michael Hoecht may have a tougher time breaking into the regular 53 roster due to Robinson & SJD appearing to be sharing many future snaps. jmo.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams carried 4 DL'ers on their PS all season.... something that we have NOT seen before. Marquise Copeland is far meaner & run-stopping tough that pass rusher will enter his 3rd Training Camp this summer. IMO Copeland was not a good fit with Brockers at the 5 tech. Brockers & Fox duo are gone the new main 5 tech is still unknown @ this time. I would bet on Robinson myself but SJD can also play the 5 tech well too.

Thinking that Micheal Hoecht is a pure NT type would be a mistake. MH can play any of the Dl posts he may be the fastest DL'er on the Rams roster. I consider him a serious sleeper prospect in TC. Might even end up playing some fullback since he runs a 4.6 plus in the 40 @ 310 pounds. He was originally an RB.

Need to remember that DL coach Henderson & DE Eric Banks have several years of history together now. Like it was brought out above by CGI Banks did win a 53 master roster position @ the beginning of the regular season before being sent to the PS.

The Wild Card here IMO is how our new DC will see Terrell Lewis. Will Lewis be healthy enough to enter any real consideration as a main contributor in his defense? Just how big & large will Lewis be when he comes in TC this season? He had some serious room for growth on his frame. I have my suspension that he will have added much muscle & be much bigger in size than his rookie season. Lewis might be utilized more like a DE than OLB'er @ the 5 tech post.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Looks like DL is back on the LA Rams draft menu, boys (ramblinfan.com)

Looks like DL is back on the LA Rams draft menu, boys
by Bret Stuter

LA Rams News Rams Draft Darius Stills

The LA Rams continue to meet with NFL Draft prospects. So far, we’ve tracked 13 such pre-draft virtual meetings. There was the first dozen. Just hours later, the Rams added another meeting to bring the number to 13. Well, make that 14. Despite having just six draft picks, the LA Rams are certainly beating the pavement for virtual meetings with a diverse crop of players and positions for the upcoming 2021 NFL Draft.

As well they should be. The Rams cannot find themselves at a point in this draft without a logical pick nor an option to trade back for more picks. And so, the strategy so far seems to be focused upon creating viable options at necessary depth as well as viable options for each round of the NFL Draft (well, from round two and down at least)

So far, the distribution of pre-draft meetings looks like this:
Four (4) interviews were held with cornerbacks
Three (3) interviews were held with wide receivers
Two (2) interviews were held with defensive linemen. *
Two (2) interviews were held with running backs
One (1) interview was held with an offensive center (two meetings were reported with the same prospect)
One (1) interview was held with an inside linebacker
One (1) interview was held with an outside linebacker

That’s a pretty busy schedule for six draft picks. But keep in mind that it’s important for the Rams to have viable options at each draft selection. So when the LA Rams meet with a prospect, is that a sure sign of availability late on day two? Not necessarily. But the 2021 NFL Draft will certainly be one of the most unpredictable drafts in recent memory. With little comparability and consistent data, the typical consensus fades quickly out of the top ten or so prospects.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
DL definitely needs some help. 5T for sure. We gotta get more stout vs SF. But will it fall our way. Several positions like that this year where it will probably happen if the right guy is there.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Losing Brockers and Fox is going to sting us a little more than we want it to this year. I hope Robinson is healthy and can be a force against the run like Brockers is up front.
Agreed. I think Fox, being the most productive off the Bench, will be missed more than Brockers. I hope they draft a player with length, similar to Brockers who plays with leverage and can affect throwing lanes when teams pass on 1st or 2nd down.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Thinking that Micheal Hoecht is a pure NT type would be a mistake. MH can play any of the Dl posts he may be the fastest DL'er on the Rams roster. I consider him a serious sleeper prospect in TC. Might even end up playing some fullback since he runs a 4.6 plus in the 40 @ 310 pounds. He was originally an RB.
Sorry but I’m not buying this. His footwork looks slow in these clips.

View: https://twitter.com/dlcoached/status/1377741737225908225?s=21

View: https://twitter.com/dlcoached/status/1359987506247180290?s=21

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I am so focused on the OLine as the priority THIS YEAR that I hate to play this game about the defensive front 7 but that's the thread.

History proves the Rams don't see things the way most others do.
In 2014, they had Brockers, Long, Quinn, Hayes, Langford, Sims, Westbrooks, and Carrington, yet they still drafted an undersized DL in the first round. Probably a good move. Last year we were clamoring for OLine help in the draft and waited til the seventh round. We wound up with Akers and Jefferson. While I wouldn't agree with the move, it wouldn't shock me to see them draft a future QB in the second round because if they identify a stud, they've proven the huevos to do it.

With that said, ANY position in the front seven that is a true pass rushing threat could elevate the defense and mask other weaknesses. Furthermore, if the game against Green Bay should have taught us anything, it's that this defense sans Donald is flat out vulnerable. While I see NOBODY outside the first round that will likely make that sort of impact, Snead and Morris may have a different perspective. Michael Strahan, Andre Tippett, Ricky Jackson, Howie Long, Mike Singletary, Jack Lambert, Jack Ham, Ted Hendricks, and Willie Lanier were all 2nd round picks. As much as I want an interior OLine stud, if any of the players available at 57 have careers like those listed above, I will gladly eat my hat.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I am so focused on the OLine as the priority THIS YEAR that I hate to play this game about the defensive front 7 but that's the thread.

History proves the Rams don't see things the way most others do.
In 2014, they had Brockers, Long, Quinn, Hayes, Langford, Sims, Westbrooks, and Carrington, yet they still drafted an undersized DL in the first round. Probably a good move. Last year we were clamoring for OLine help in the draft and waited til the seventh round. We wound up with Akers and Jefferson. While I wouldn't agree with the move, it wouldn't shock me to see them draft a future QB in the second round because if they identify a stud, they've proven the huevos to do it.

With that said, ANY position in the front seven that is a true pass rushing threat could elevate the defense and mask other weaknesses. Furthermore, if the game against Green Bay should have taught us anything, it's that this defense sans Donald is flat out vulnerable. While I see NOBODY outside the first round that will likely make that sort of impact, Snead and Morris may have a different perspective. Michael Strahan, Andre Tippett, Ricky Jackson, Howie Long, Mike Singletary, Jack Lambert, Jack Ham, Ted Hendricks, and Willie Lanier were all 2nd round picks. As much as I want an interior OLine stud, if any of the players available at 57 have careers like those listed above, I will gladly eat my hat.

Soooooo David Mills in Rd 2?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams carried 4 DL'ers on their PS all season....not something that we have NOT seen before. Marquise Copeland is far meaner & run-stopping tough that pass rusher will enter his 3rd Training Camp this summer. IMO Copeland was not a good fit with Brockers at the 5 tech. Brockers & Fox duo are gone the new main 5 tech is still unknown @ this time. I would bet on Robinson myself but SJD can also play the 5 tech well too.

Need to remember that DL coach Henderson & DE Eric Banks have several years of history together now. Like it was brought out above by CGI Banks did win a 53 master roster position @ the beginning of the regular season before being sent to the PS.

The Wild Card here IMO is how our new DC will see Terrell Lewis. Will Lewis be healthy enough to enter any real consideration as a main contributor in his defense? Just how big & large will Lewis be when he comes in TC this season? He had some serious room for growth on his frame. I have my suspension that he will have added much muscle & be much bigger in size than his rookie season. Lewis might be utilized more like a DE than OLB'er @ the 5 tech post.

Bonify’d we’ll have some fun with this player. I’ll add Noteboom on all my list w/ you . Lol

Terrill Lewis is So Underrated by you imo.. just a sampler

View: https://youtu.be/WCn20thOAc0