2021 Rams “D” Front talk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Logistics are wrong ! Call them what you want. SF Warriors. Portland A’s ?
Philly? Portland ?

Anyway I think Ebukham brought a better pass rush from OBO.

Who will be The Rams big sack guy not named AD or Floyd ?
I know right!?!

I used to be a fan of the Anaheim Rams.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
BB3 could end up being our version of prime Albert Haynesworth: a powerful man who can dominate a line all by himself. I really love this kid.

Despite the detractors of SJD, I still believe he's our best lineman, and unfortunately, he'll have to be replaced because he'll get a ginormous contract from somebody after this year.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Soooo.... I'm guessing that you were pretty disappointed with this year's draft?

Rotating in Robinson and Bobby Brown might be just what ails these guys and could help us get max effort out of both of them.

When you are 325 lbs. it's hard to give max effort for 3-4 plays in a row without getting pretty damn winded.
Yeah, I was disappointed as a fan but I don't have the coach's insight. They must really believe the kids are going to develop into what they need. They obviously valued the positions and players they drafted over potential upgrades on the OLine. I may disagree, but we will see.

I suppose drafting two linemen and a LB was necessary since Kiser can't stay healthy and we lost Brockers and Fox in FA.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
FRONT SEVEN ON PAPER ?

Edge/OLB
Leonard Floyd
DL A'Shawn Robinson
DL Sebastian Joseph-Day or Greg Gaines
DL Aaron Donald
Edge/OLB Ogbonnia Okoronkwo or Terrell Lewis or Justin Hollins (or is Hollins considered ILB?)

LB Micah Kiser or Ernest Jones
LB Troy Reeder or Kenny Young

Can someone please help me to consolidate these position groups ?

k8132014.jpg

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Yeah, I was disappointed as a fan but I don't have the coach's insight. They must really believe the kids are going to develop into what they need. They obviously valued the positions and players they drafted over potential upgrades on the OLine. I may disagree, but we will see.

I suppose drafting two linemen and a LB was necessary since Kiser can't stay healthy and we lost Brockers and Fox in FA.
I was big into getting that inside linebacker because we haven't invested a draft pick in one in a long time and you could tell.
And then yeah, once we lost Brockers I was all-in on using a high pick there and I love this guy Bobby Brown.
Rotating him and A'Shawn Robinson should really perk up the defensive line.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Perhaps BBIII will become great, but to put him near Brockers level this soon seems a stretch to me.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Perhaps BBIII will become great, but to put him near Brockers level this soon seems a stretch to me.
Agreed. I think our DL rotation is going to be deeper this year. But maybe our starting front isn't quite as good. But there is room for the starting front to be better if either BB or Robinson beast out. We'll see. I do agree though that what Brock did last year was probably a higher level of play than whoever replaces him in 2021.

And then in 2022 of course we'll probably be much better off as BB settles in. I do have the highest hopes for him. (y)

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Hard to compare the two this early but remember we only had Robinson for part of the year last year so our overall rotation throughout the year might be stronger and help compensate for the loss of Brockers.
I think Bobby Brown is just a necessary step in the right direction.
As is Ernest Brown.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
IMO Reeder is nice depth but did not consistently play well. If the Defense is to stay top 5 they need more production from the ILBs. I liked Kiser but with injuries he has to earn his spot. I am hopeful Jones will evolve into a solid LB but that is TBD. Howard is unproven and Young is expensive depth.

Justin Hollins was HORRIBLE!! I can’t believe I’m the only one that is calling him out for his bad play.He cost The Rams a lot of games.Played way to many snap as ROLB.Never made a play ,would not be never got off the ball. OBO needs to show he can play in The NFL.

Young had a lot of opportunity tone the starter.The guy would make a couple plays and then forget an assignment.

Kiser looks like he will be the Starting inside guy.Reeder has played at a high level for The Rams.He is a solid backup for now.l

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I know right!?!

I used to be a fan of the Anaheim Rams.

Glad The Rams are still getting some of the OC Fans.Good move. The charger are coming from the South of the OC & into LA & practicing in the OC.
Anaheim SUCKED as a FOOTBALL stadium.I remember there being a crap league made it.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Justin Hollins was HORRIBLE!! I can’t believe I’m the only one that is calling him out for his bad play.He cost The Rams a lot of games.Played way to many snap as ROLB.Never made a play ,would not be never got off the ball. OBO needs to show he can play in The NFL.

I didn't see that from Hollins, though he was much better outside then inside and held the edge well, plus added some QB Pressure. Interesting that some can have completely different perspectives, but IMO, I feel Hollins has a good chance to start in place of Ebukam come September Morn.
1622303079917.png

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Young had a lot of opportunity tone the starter.The guy would make a couple plays and then forget an assignment.

Kiser looks like he will be the Starting inside guy.Reeder has played at a high level for The Rams.He is a solid backup for now.l
Have you been ignoring past injury history again my Ram buddy?

LB'er Justin Hollins was claimed off waivers from Denver after the regular season started. Hollins played an important part in Ram's #1 ranked defense with approx 37% of Ram's defensive snaps. Hollins played ILB/OLB & DE for the Rams showed abilities to play even without any Ram TC or preseasons knowledge of this team. Hollins gave the Rams 3 sacks/18 solo tacks/ 28 total tacks & 1 forced fumble all as a reserve for 3 positions. Not a bad start for a WWC who cost the Ram very little of the Rams team assets. By the way, Hollins performed in 18 Ram games in 2020 how many did Kiser play in?

The Rams Org gave Kiser a decent MLB'er prospect drafted by this team a great opportunity for two straight seasons to be the starting MLB'er & place himself & the team in a position where the Rams defense might have a young experienced leader @ the MLB'er post going into the 2021 season & beyond with the prospects of earning a pay increase & contract extension. None of the above has occurred. Kiser is burnt toast.

The very fact the Rams were placed into a position where they had to utilize very valuable draft assets to acquire a starting MLB'er in our 2nd selection in this past draft of MLB'er Ernest Jones paints a total picture of what the Rams will do this season @ MLB'er. Micah Kiser might end up (due to Econo 2021 contract) might play a small part in the reserve unit but after this season he will not be in the Rams plans any longer.

The future Ram players who will be seen contributing @ the ILB'er posts is Jones/ Howard/ Reeder/ Rapp/ Moncrief & Rozeboom.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hollins will always be a depth type. But I agree he was a solid pickup. He was surprisingly good in coverage too btw. (y)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
FRONT SEVEN ON PAPER ?

Edge/OLB
Leonard Floyd
DL A'Shawn Robinson
DL Sebastian Joseph-Day or Greg Gaines
DL Aaron Donald
Edge/OLB Ogbonnia Okoronkwo or Terrell Lewis or Justin Hollins (or is Hollins considered ILB?)

LB Micah Kiser or Ernest Jones
LB Troy Reeder or Kenny Young

Can someone please help me to consolidate these position groups ?

k8132014.jpg

Here's your most probable front DL FIVE going into TC:

OLB-Floyd/ Lawler/ Daka/ Garrett
DE-
Robinson/ Banks/ Copeland/ Williams/ E.Brown
NT-
Jospeph-Day/ Gaines/ Hoecht
DL-Donald/ B.Brown/ Silvanic
OLB-
Okoronkwo/ Hollins/ Roberts

Ram65

Legend
A'Shawn, SJD, Hoecht and Bobby Brown give us a nice DT rotation, and I believe that both A'Shawn and Brown will see time in Brockers DE spot....likely there as run stoppers, with Banks, Copeland and Williams getting a chance as pass rushers out of that Brockers spot, similar to the role Morgan Fox played.

I was thinking the same thing about a solid rotation on the defensive line. I little like the offensive line with players getting playtime at different positions to find the best fits. We have to see how much PT each gets. The Scout said that BB3 can play anywhere as Robinson can be NT/5T. Robinson should be fresh after taking off half the season with the heart thing. He looked to be in great shape in camp. IIRC. In years past the Rams seemed forced to play Brockers and AD a lot of snaps. Having more options will keep everyone fresher. Gaines seemed to get better with more PT later in the year. I see a lot of competition on the D Line.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

DE-
NT-
OLB-
Boni they're not gonna stash a guy like BB behind Donald. He's going to play. In fact even if by some miracle Robinson has a good season this year and wins that 5T job BB will be rotating in all over the place. The guy is going to play a ton of snaps IMO.

Also they didn't draft E Brown to stick him behind guys like Copeland and Williams. The guy is stout. He is really hard to move which is what the Rams wanted. He will be in the mix for that 6th spot in the DL room IMO.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

DE-
NT-
OLB-

No Terrell Lewis?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Boni they're not gonna stash a guy like BB behind Donald. He's going to play. In fact even if by some miracle Robinson has a good season this year and wins that 5T job BB will be rotating in all over the place. The guy is going to play a ton of snaps IMO.

Also they didn't draft E Brown to stick him behind guys like Copeland and Williams. The guy is stout. He is really hard to move which is what the Rams wanted. He will be in the mix for that 6th spot in the DL room IMO.
We see things different.....It's not that I do not think that Brown is just a seldom-used 5th or 6th DL reliever here. I see Bob Brown as being a very active involvement with the defense as a rookie. It's the important fact of life that Aaron Donald is not getting any younger & now on the other side of 30 yrs old??? He has a ton of mileage on him since 2014. We were basically without AD last season for the playoffs....due to injury. The results of that in that Packer's game were seriously evident.

The Rams are stacked full of stout good run stuffers......Robinson, SJD, Gaines, Copeland & now rookies Brown & Brown & yes I agree with you Earnest is very stout against the run for his size.....what's missing is more AD types. Where are the Rams DL pass rushers?

DC Morris would be very smart to have a plan to avoid as much as he can from what happened last yr in the playoffs. IMO I would utilize AD's pass rush from as many of the DL positions as possible & keeping him fresh as possible for the pass rush! Thus the 3 tech post would be open for a DL'er who will have proven to be worthy of working heavily with AD in that 3 tech post.

Rookie, Bob Brown (IMO) could be used heavily as a rookie in the 3 tech post on 1st & all predictable run-down situations. Thats why I place him behind AD on my projected DL chart.