2021 Rams “D” Front talk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
No sir. Why bother Lewis was not on the field working with any unit with the team for OTA's that I know of. Do you know otherwise?

Well, it was May OTAs; and Lewis was a third round pick 13 months ago who was selected despite durability issues. And, while it was brief, Lewis did flash some big-time-talent in 2020. Just seems a little early to give-up on him.

The Rams can be kind of tight on information (we had to wait until OTAs to see who would line-up at Center). Maybe Lewis had an off-season medical procedure and is still in recovery. I was surprised McVay was not asked about Lewis, and the health of other players (Burgess, Kiser and Howard for instance). Maybe the Media was told beforehand that no information would be provided on the health of players.

I was also disappointed Lewis did not participate in OTAs; and I have my doubts as to whether he will ever become a solid contributor. However, I still have some hope. Many of the players you listed (Banks, Copeland, Williams, Hoecht, Bobby Brown, Earnest Brown, Garrett, Lawler, Daka, Roberts and Silvanic) have done less than Lewis but I have hope some of them will develop as contributors.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
His first year in the league Lewis did the same thing he did in most of his college years: showed raw ability but could not stay on the field. So I think it's fair to see him sitting out OTAs and maybe roll your eyes a bit. Not like it's a big deal or anything, you're right that we don't know anything about what's going on with him. But it is a continuation of a very predictable storyline.

I hope the guy has double digit sacks this year. I'd eat that crow gladly. But for now I'd just like to hear that the guy has functioning legs and is out there working and learning. We could really use that dude.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I didn't see that from Hollins, though he was much better outside then inside and held the edge well, plus added some QB Pressure. Interesting that some can have completely different perspectives, but IMO, I feel Hollins has a good chance to start in place of Ebukam come September Morn.
View attachment 45681

Yep - totally different View!! Hollins was horrible.Never held containment.

Never got a pass rush.He took over for Rivers who was never much.On 3rd downs he never add to gang tackles when Reeder stood a runner up. Never could get to the edge on screen plays. Did not ever shed blocks unless it was a bad read.

He has the skill set & size.Just not a good football player.There is. Reason Denver cut him. Garrett & Lewis would be my choice in the future.Bith are still young.Ebukham

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Have you been ignoring past injury history again my Ram buddy?

LB'er Justin Hollins was claimed off waivers from Denver after the regular season started. Hollins played an important part in Ram's #1 ranked defense with approx 37% of Ram's defensive snaps. Hollins played ILB/OLB & DE for the Rams showed abilities to play even without any Ram TC or preseasons knowledge of this team. Hollins gave the Rams 3 sacks/18 solo tacks/ 28 total tacks & 1 forced fumble all as a reserve for 3 positions. Not a bad start for a WWC who cost the Ram very little of the Rams team assets. By the way, Hollins performed in 18 Ram games in 2020 how many did Kiser play in?

The Rams Org gave Kiser a decent MLB'er prospect drafted by this team a great opportunity for two straight seasons to be the starting MLB'er & place himself & the team in a position where the Rams defense might have a young experienced leader @ the MLB'er post going into the 2021 season & beyond with the prospects of earning a pay increase & contract extension. None of the above has occurred. Kiser is burnt toast.

The very fact the Rams were placed into a position where they had to utilize very valuable draft assets to acquire a starting MLB'er in our 2nd selection in this past draft of MLB'er Ernest Jones paints a total picture of what the Rams will do this season @ MLB'er. Micah Kiser might end up (due to Econo 2021 contract) might play a small part in the reserve unit but after this season he will not be in the Rams plans any longer.

The future Ram players who will be seen contributing @ the ILB'er posts is Jones/ Howard/ Reeder/ Rapp/ Moncrief & Rozeboom.

Imo Rozeboom gets cut,Hollins we’ll see how much he improves.Not a Fan. The games I saw he stunk. The 9ers loss he looked bad.To each his own. Camps coming close enough.I’ll be on the lookout.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Never got a pass rush.He took over for Rivers who was never much.On 3rd downs he never add to gang tackles when Reeder stood a runner up. Never could get to the edge on screen plays. Did not ever shed blocks unless it was a bad read.

He has the skill set & size.Just not a good football player.There is. Reason Denver cut him. Garrett & Lewis would be my choice in the future.Bith are still young.Ebukham

Well, we will agree to disagree, Hollins had 3 sacks 18 solo tackles and 1 forced fumble plus he was learning on the fly, I like Lewis and it appears you feel good about Chris Garrett, so we shall see, how it plays out.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I am in the PUP camp with Lewis @ the moment & yes there is still time however this team could use a healthy Terrell Lewis in the worse way this upcoming season.

You rang a bell with me @Allen2McVay when you brought up the absence of questions on some very important injured Rams by the press.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
D Line has a little less depth without Brockers. But I expect SJD and Robinson to step up. Robinson came here with the idea of being a run stopper. Gaines has another year experience. Brown could be a monster in the middle. So maybe depth won't be an issue? I think we will be just fine with the starters. We'll have to see how the rotation works out with the rest.

Lewis has a lot of talent. But can he stay on the field? So far the answer has been no he cannot. I think they have to plan for that. Its a shame though. Because he has first round talent.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Robinson trimmed down to about the size of Brockers. This confirms that he will play more on the outside.
Agree.

Robinson was signed last off-season after Brockers signed with the Ravens. Once Robinson got on the field, he played behind Brockers. He figures to start in the spot Brockers mostly played (5-technique).

Several posters see Bobby Brown playing on the nose/1-technique but I disagree. Expect Joseph-Day and Gaines to continue to fill that role ... thought they did really well in 2020. Expect Bobby Brown to compete for snaps behind Robinson; and, basically, fill the role that Robinson had at the end of last seasons ... back-up 5-technique.

Will be interesting to see how the D-Line rotation plays-out.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Agree.

Robinson was signed last off-season after Brockers signed with the Ravens. Once Robinson got on the field, he played behind Brockers. He figures to start in the spot Brockers mostly played (5-technique).

Several posters see Bobby Brown playing on the nose/1-technique but I disagree. Expect Joseph-Day and Gaines to continue to fill that role ... thought they did really well in 2020. Expect Bobby Brown to compete for snaps behind Robinson; and, basically, fill the role that Robinson had at the end of last seasons ... back-up 5-technique.

Will be interesting to see how the D-Line rotation plays-out.
What about Earnest Brown? Will he be more like Morgan Fox? I see him as a 5T as well. I don't really see anyone that will move around like Donald and be his back up.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
What about Earnest Brown? Will he be more like Morgan Fox? I see him as a 5T as well. I don't really see anyone that will move around like Donald and be his back up.
That's my guess on Earnest Brown. On one of the Rams' Draft-night videos, a Fox comparison was mentioned by a Rams' scout.

I am also guessing that the four DL that ended the season on the Practice Squad (Banks, Copeland, Hoecht and Williams) could figure in the DL-depth/rotation. Bobby Brown was a fourth round pick and does not turn 21 until Training Camp; and Earnest Brown was a fifth rounder. I have hopes for both but I don't think either is assured of playing a significant role in 2021.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Henderson is a excellent D-Line coach.My girlfriend liked the Defensive Players best.He fits in like a teammate.Just like one of the guys.

The 3 UDRFA are going to battle for a couple spots.

Now that I’m processing through the players that were most impressive.

Crazy-but girlfriends views & not a sports fan(Ram Fan now)

Reeder - he & Kiser we’re first in drills.
Good footwork.Looks the part & he will find a way to get on the field.

-Floyd- he had practice off but filled in. Was her favorite player.He will get to the QB.Da Bears messed up & The Rams paid him to be a star player.

—Bobby Brown is my rookie.He is smooth inside.I believe he is already better than Greg Gaines.

—Earnest Brown- was not impressed with the pick.Now after watching him practice he is just what the Dr.Order.
He has strong hands & physical.Loves contact.Aggressive likes to feel his way through. His style makes me think he will fill in a gap & still can get pressure.He is bigger & faster than I thought.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

I have to say,my girlfriend thought he was the best player at SOFI stadium.
I’d have to say I agree with the eye Candy. We were with a Bears fan as well. He knows the Bears lost an All Pro type player. Anyone wants to doubt what he means to The Rams defense just need to look at the results. I’m not talking numbers either.