2021 Rams “D” Front talk

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
Patrick is good as gone IMO. He was a shitter on teams. Doubtful he makes this roster again, the Rams seem determined to improve the core teams guys and they'll come from those bottom roster spots.
Natrez Patrick got picked off our practice squad by the Broncos a few months ago.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Confused.

Discussion of Rams’ DL.
Why did you list three players (Patrick, Polite and Rivers) who are no longer with the Team.

Those guys played on The Rams last season. In 2021 This group is going to look a lot different.

Ebukham went to the San Jose. So there is a lot opening for these young 3 stuck around all year.They all fit what McSnead is building.You talk about 7th rd picks,there as good as any of them having NFL experience.

-The preseason is going to be good. Garret is a new favorite of mine. Ebukham who ?

Last edited:

oldnotdead

Legend
Assuming Morris stays with what he knows, i.e. hybrid 3-4 then I think it's pretty obvious who the starters are going to be on the DL. Where it will get interesting will be the primary rotational player behind each of the starters. I think it could work out pretty much like this. I omitted Okoronkwo, and Sebas because I believe there is a chance neither makes this roster as both are in their final contract year with minimal dead cap. For the second straight year, Gaines outplayed Sebas on fewer snaps. Both Ogbo and Sebas improved last year but I don't think it was enough. Williams and Hoecht are faster, stronger, and more explosive than Okoronkwo and Sebas respectively.

5T/DE Lewis, Williams, Garrett
1T/NT Robinson, Hoecht
3T/DT Donald, Gaines
JACK Floyd, Williams, Banks

Regardless I think it will be interesting to watch the battle of the backups on the D-line. I think the starting ILBs will be the same, i.e. Reeder & Young. At SAM I think Hollins is the most likely to take that position even though it's a position eliminated by Staley. Staley played Young as a WIL and although Reeder was the MIKE he also had a lot of the SAM responsibilities.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
San Francisco

Logistics are wrong ! Call them what you want. SF Warriors. Portland A’s ?
Philly? Portland ?

Anyway I think Ebukham brought a better pass rush from OBO.

Who will be The Rams big sack guy not named AD or Floyd ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Assuming Morris stays with what he knows, i.e. hybrid 3-4 then I think it's pretty obvious who the starters are going to be on the DL. Where it will get interesting will be the primary rotational player behind each of the starters. I think it could work out pretty much like this. I omitted Okoronkwo, and Sebas because I believe there is a chance neither makes this roster as both are in their final contract year with minimal dead cap. For the second straight year, Gaines outplayed Sebas on fewer snaps. Both Ogbo and Sebas improved last year but I don't think it was enough. Williams and Hoecht are faster, stronger, and more explosive than Okoronkwo and Sebas respectively.

1T/NT Robinson, Hoecht
3T/DT Donald, Gaines

Regardless I think it will be interesting to watch the battle of the backups on the D-line. I think the starting ILBs will be the same, i.e. Reeder & Young. At SAM I think Hollins is the most likely to take that position even though it's a position eliminated by Staley. Staley played Young as a WIL and although Reeder was the MIKE he also had a lot of the SAM responsibilities.

See to me that is CRAZY talk . SJD69 is a day McSnead holds out as an example of developing players.

Hollins was HORRIBLE. Make a Play. The Rams pick him up of the streets as a FA.Now it’s the offense that needs depth up front ? I watched the San Jose games. Hollins is lost out there. Green Bay as well.He doesn’t get dirty or involved with any play.
I like your view with Reeder.Young needs to play more consistent.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29

1T/NT Robinson, Hoecht
3T/DT Donald, Gaines

Regardless I think it will be interesting to watch the battle of the backups on the D-line. I think the starting ILBs will be the same, i.e. Reeder & Young. At SAM I think Hollins is the most likely to take that position even though it's a position eliminated by Staley. Staley played Young as a WIL and although Reeder was the MIKE he also had a lot of the SAM responsibilities

I must have missed where Reeder beat out Kiser for the starting ILB. Kiser got hurt vs. Tampa right in the middle of him playing as well as he played all year. I don't see any reason to think that Reeder would be ahead of a healthy Kiser on the depth chart. Kiser being relegated to special teams in the playoffs was due to him not being 100% healthy, not that he lost his starting spot by being outplayed by Reeder. Reader played well last year, but Kiser played better, and should still be ahead of him on the depth chart.

Also I don't see how Gaines would move ahead of SJD. Gaines slightly improved, SJD improved and remains a better option for us. Gaines is a solid back up, but again, I see no reason to assume Gaines moved ahead of SJD. Gaines, A'Shawn, SJD, Hoecht and Bobby Brown give us a nice DT rotation, and I believe that both A'Shawn and Brown will see time in Brockers DE spot....likely there as run stoppers, with Banks, Copeland and Williams getting a chance as pass rushers out of that Brockers spot, similar to the role Morgan Fox played.

In terms of the edge....obviously if Lewis is healthy enough for major snaps, he's the front runner to be on the opposite side of Floyd..... I'd say Hollins is ahead of Obo on the edge, but with a full preseason it could change. Lawler is still around as well.

As far as ILB..... I wouldn't guarantee that Kenny Young will be around, as we need to shed some salary to sign our rookies.....and drafting Jones..along with us bringing back Travin Howard may be a sign that Kenny won't be kept. So from my perspective, Kiser is ahead of Reeder, with last years projected starter Howard getting a chance secure the other ILB spot whether or not Kenny is around. Jones development is telling as he has a skill set that could bump Kiser over making him more of run stopper sharing time when Travin. But we'll see how that plays out. We have a lot of versatility at ILB now, and if there is one thing we all learned last year....the Rams are MUCH better having 2 ILBs on the field more than using the hybrid safety. That was the most dramatic change from Wade to Staley is the amount of time we kept 2 ILBs on the field, and our defense became the #1 defense in the league. We're simply a better defense with 2 ILBs on the field....proven from last year. Also with JJ gone, Rapp has a chance to lock in the SS spot for himself so his usage as a "hybrid" should be minimal. Our nickel package with Burgess as the slot and Rapp at SS gives us a stout Nickel, but our base defense needs to have 2 ILBs on the field based on the success from last year.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Also I don't see how Gaines would move ahead of SJD. Gaines slightly improved, SJD improved and remains a better option for us. Gaines is a solid back up, but again, I see no reason to assume Gaines moved ahead of SJD.
OldNotDead is not a fan of Sebastian Joseph-Day. Has many posts on that point.

As a matter-of-fact, where he wrote above 'Sebas improved last year but I don't think it was enough' ... that's the nicest thing I recall OldNotDead ever saying about Joseph-Day.

Many of us thought Joseph-Day had an excellent 2020 season, and have pushed-back on OldNotDead's opinion.

dang

Legend
If Reeder and Young are starters at ILB we are in trouble. We can’t be that soft in the middle IMO. Anyone throwing SJD off the roster is either inside the Rams coaching staff or has a suspiciously personal reason for suggesting.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
OldNotDead is not a fan of Sebastian Joseph-Day. Has many posts on that point.

As a matter-of-fact, where he wrote above 'Sebas improved last year but I don't think it was enough' ... that's the nicest thing I recall OldNotDead ever saying about Joseph-Day.

Many of us thought Joseph-Day had an excellent 2020 season, and have pushed-back on OldNotDead's opinion.

I figured that..lol.

But I agree that SJD had a really good season for us. See no reason to think that his spot is up for grabs. I've seen some people saying that Bobby Brown was drafted for that spot, but I really think Brown is destined to split time with A'Shawn at Brockers DE spot.

a base front of SJD, AD and A'Shawn can end up being as stout a front as we've had since McVay has been here.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Also, I don't remember the metric, but in limited snaps last year, I think he doubled the win rate of Brockers.

Now, I LOVE Brockers and he'll always be a favorite of mine for his steady leadership and clutch plays.

That said, I think A'Shawn Robinson will net a positive for this upcoming season.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I believe Bobby Brown is going to make a Big Impact Upfront!! To Think He is The Youngest Rams at 6’5 320 with speed & power.The odd thing is how Down to Earth & Mature he is.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I must have missed where Reeder beat out Kiser for the starting ILB. Kiser got hurt vs. Tampa right in the middle of him playing as well as he played all year. I don't see any reason to think that Reeder would be ahead of a healthy Kiser on the depth chart. Kiser being relegated to special teams in the playoffs was due to him not being 100% healthy, not that he lost his starting spot by being outplayed by Reeder. Reader played well last year, but Kiser played better, and should still be ahead of him on the depth chart.

Also I don't see how Gaines would move ahead of SJD. Gaines slightly improved, SJD improved and remains a better option for us. Gaines is a solid back up, but again, I see no reason to assume Gaines moved ahead of SJD. Gaines, A'Shawn, SJD, Hoecht and Bobby Brown give us a nice DT rotation, and I believe that both A'Shawn and Brown will see time in Brockers DE spot....likely there as run stoppers, with Banks, Copeland and Williams getting a chance as pass rushers out of that Brockers spot, similar to the role Morgan Fox played.

In terms of the edge....obviously if Lewis is healthy enough for major snaps, he's the front runner to be on the opposite side of Floyd..... I'd say Hollins is ahead of Obo on the edge, but with a full preseason it could change. Lawler is still around as well.

As far as ILB..... I wouldn't guarantee that Kenny Young will be around, as we need to shed some salary to sign our rookies.....and drafting Jones..along with us bringing back Travin Howard may be a sign that Kenny won't be kept. So from my perspective, Kiser is ahead of Reeder, with last years projected starter Howard getting a chance secure the other ILB spot whether or not Kenny is around. Jones development is telling as he has a skill set that could bump Kiser over making him more of run stopper sharing time when Travin. But we'll see how that plays out. We have a lot of versatility at ILB now, and if there is one thing we all learned last year....the Rams are MUCH better having 2 ILBs on the field more than using the hybrid safety. That was the most dramatic change from Wade to Staley is the amount of time we kept 2 ILBs on the field, and our defense became the #1 defense in the league. We're simply a better defense with 2 ILBs on the field....proven from last year. Also with JJ gone, Rapp has a chance to lock in the SS spot for himself so his usage as a "hybrid" should be minimal. Our nickel package with Burgess as the slot and Rapp at SS gives us a stout Nickel, but our base defense needs to have 2 ILBs on the field based on the success from last year.

I’ll just break it down in sections,there is a lot there.
First Jones is going to be apart of the future.How much playing time & where is another thing.He will get a lot of preseason Reps,so there is that.
I also think there is a lot of competition & jobs to be had.The Rams have talent it’s just how Shula rounds out The LBer Group!!

Joe Barry is gone & it’s basically a clean slate with Raheem Morris taking over for Staley.

Kiser & OBO have been presented by The Rams the being of these last 2 years.How OBO can’t stay healthy or more productive is beyond my pay rate.
Kiser took all the snaps when healthy.Troy Reeder has played well when called upon.I think Reeder & Hoecht are lining up together on 2nd team.
Defensive front 3 or 4 will be interesting.I don’t see A’ Robinson lining up Outside at All. DT/NT only & will always have a pass rusher on his outside. If he is split the 5th will be on the Edge.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
LA Ram 29 - there is a lot there.Real solid post. The 2 LBer thing was Huge now that you bring in up. I NOTICED IT as you brought it up now.

Brings back why Tyler Rapp was sitting early in the year once healthy? It also shows that JJ43 shouldn’t be missed as much without having the Hybrid LB/SS.

dang

Legend
I’ll just break it down in sections,there is a lot there.
First Jones is going to be apart of the future.How much playing time & where is another thing.He will get a lot of preseason Reps,so there is that.
I also think there is a lot of competition & jobs to be had.The Rams have talent it’s just how Shula rounds out The LBer Group!!

Joe Barry is gone & it’s basically a clean slate with Raheem Morris taking over for Staley.

Kiser & OBO have been presented by The Rams the being of these last 2 years.How OBO can’t stay healthy or more productive is beyond my pay rate.
Kiser took all the snaps when healthy.Troy Reeder has played well when called upon.I think Reeder & Hoecht are lining up together on 2nd team.
Defensive front 3 or 4 will be interesting.I don’t see A’ Robinson lining up Outside at All. DT/NT only & will always have a pass rusher on his outside. If he is split the 5th will be on the Edge.
IMO Reeder is nice depth but did not consistently play well. If the Defense is to stay top 5 they need more production from the ILBs. I liked Kiser but with injuries he has to earn his spot. I am hopeful Jones will evolve into a solid LB but that is TBD. Howard is unproven and Young is expensive depth.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Donald / SJD / BB
Robinson / Gaines / E Brown

That looks pretty solid to me. If E Brown doesn't show well then that opens the door for some of our depth JAGs. But I don't think any of them really have enough to them to unseat one of the six above.

If they play BB on the nose I suppose it could squeeze Gaines. But he's better than those other depth options IMO so he'll be tough to knock off the roster.

Oh and if by some miracle we get the "good season" from Robinson then he'll beat out BB for 5T IMO. Otherwise he's depth at best.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Donald / SJD / BB
Robinson / Gaines / E Brown

That looks pretty solid to me. If E Brown doesn't show well then that opens the door for some of our depth JAGs. But I don't think any of them really have enough to them to unseat one of the six above.

If they play BB on the nose I suppose it could squeeze Gaines. But he's better than those other depth options IMO so he'll be tough to knock off the roster.

Oh and if by some miracle we get the "good season" from Robinson then he'll beat out BB for 5T IMO. Otherwise he's depth at best.
Mostly agree but my guess is that Robinson starts and Bobby Brown backs him up.

There's a ton of excitement for Brown but he does not turn 21 until August. If he can earn back-up-DL snaps and contribute, that will be great for a rookie mid-fourth round pick.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Mostly agree but my guess is that Robinson starts and Bobby Brown backs him up.

There's a ton of excitement for Brown but he does not turn 21 until August. If he can earn back-up-DL snaps and contribute, that will be great for a rookie mid-fourth round pick.
Good chance you're right. Robinson has the talent but his years/production are up and down. One year he's a stud the next a dud. Whereas Brown might be young but he's got power and full buy-in so my money's on him.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I am so focused on the OLine as the priority THIS YEAR that I hate to play this game about the defensive front 7 but that's the thread.

Last year we were clamoring for OLine help in the draft and waited til the seventh round.

it wouldn't shock me to see them draft a future QB in the second round As much as I want an interior OLine stud
Soooo.... I'm guessing that you were pretty disappointed with this year's draft?
Good chance you're right. Robinson has the talent but his years/production are up and down. One year he's a stud the next a dud. Whereas Brown might be young but he's got power and full buy-in so my money's on him.
Rotating in Robinson and Bobby Brown might be just what ails these guys and could help us get max effort out of both of them.

When you are 325 lbs. it's hard to give max effort for 3-4 plays in a row without getting pretty damn winded.