OFFICIAL 2021 Free agency, cuts, trades, and more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dang

Legend
I do t think a McVay and to a lesser extent Snead give a rip about 2022. So it’s balls to the wall in 2021. I expect to see some creative financial maneuvering.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Leonard Floyd 2 year deal with the voided 2nd year to spread out the cap hit, will likely be a popular deal this off season

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do t think a McVay and to a lesser extent Snead give a rip about 2022. So it’s balls to the wall in 2021. I expect to see some creative financial maneuvering.
I agree but there are those here that will argue tooth and nail that it's not Super Bowl or bust in 2021.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
My first preference is getting the OC Creed with #57. If he’s gone, and some perfect stud hasn’t fallen in our lap (OT, LB), then I hope we move back and in conjunction with our comp 3rds maneuver to early/mid 3rd to get this small school OL guy or the OHio state OC Myers.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Interesting graphic in a tweet from OTC, regarding money spent on new contracts vs record the last four years.

Pretty self explanatory.
20210309_211330.png

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto

As a Hawkeye fan I like this. He really broke out his Junior year. Real speedy, gets open deep, runs the jet sweeps, and can be a dangerous return man. You'll see his Senior season drop off but it wasn't his fault. Our QB was AWFUL, missed him on a ton of passes where he was wide open. Even his sophomore/junior year our QB then was wildly inconsistent with his deep ball.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
As a Hawkeye fan I like this. He really broke out his Junior year. Real speedy, gets open deep, runs the jet sweeps, and can be a dangerous return man. You'll see his Senior season drop off but it wasn't his fault. Our QB was AWFUL, missed him on a ton of passes where he was wide open. Even his sophomore/junior year our QB then was wildly inconsistent with his deep ball.

He looks like a player that fits McVay offense. I wonder if he'd be brought in as the main punt or kick returner and then eased into the offense as he gets better at running routes and learning the playbook.

Smith-Marsette could be used as the occasional deep threat too. A pick like this makes a short term signing like DeSean Jackson make more sense. He's likely available later than Eskeridge.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
The Bears still have Mack and he's still playing at a high level.
Who did the #1's turn out to be? Plus more cap room.

Who have the Bears failed to keep or sign due to less cap room?

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
He looks like a player that fits McVay offense. I wonder if he'd be brought in as the main punt or kick returner and then eased into the offense as he gets better at running routes and learning the playbook.

Smith-Marsette could be used as the occasional deep threat too. A pick like this makes a short term signing like DeSean Jackson make more sense. He's likely available later than Eskeridge.
I think he would. And frankly, iowa is prehistoric in aspects of offense and creativity so he was underutilized, as well as the freak athlete we had on the other side of him in Brandon Smith who is in the draft too.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
NFL sets salary cap at $182.5M: How much space do the Rams have? (yahoo.com)

NFL sets salary cap at $182.5M: How much space do the Rams have?
Cameron DaSilva Wed, March 10, 2021,

3352364cc733398535744f6461eccb3d

Teams across the league finally know how much they’ll be able to spend this offseason after the NFL set the salary cap for the 2021 season. After the floor was initially set at $175 million, and then upped to $180 million, the league settled on an amount higher than both levels.

The salary cap will be $182.5 million in 2021, down from $198.2 million last year. It’s the first time in the last eight years that the salary cap didn’t increase at least $10 million, a clear result of the lost revenue due to the pandemic.

With the cap set, the focus turns to the Rams and how much space they’ll have to play with during free agency. As of now, space is something they don’t have. According to Over The Cap, the Rams are over the limit by $33.14 million, needing to get under the cap by March 17 when the new league year begins.

The Rams are carrying $34.125 million in dead money from Jared Goff ($22.2M), Todd Gurley ($8.4M) and Leonard Floyd ($3.3M), which is a big reason for their being over the cap. Floyd’s dead money comes from his one-year contract signed last year, which had a void year in 2021 and an automatic $3.3 million in dead cap.

While being in the red is never a good thing, the Rams have some ways to clear cap space. Five players are candidates to have their contracts restructured, potentially freeing up a total of $56 million. They won’t restructure all of those contracts, but Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey are obvious candidates.

No matter what, though, the Rams aren’t going to be big spenders in free agency. They’ve sunk a lot of money into Donald, Ramsey, Cooper Kupp, Robert Woods and now Matthew Stafford, so they have to pick their spots when it comes to adding talent.

fearsomefour

Legend
I agree with your second comment but not the first.

I believe there are only one or two teams that need to create more cap space in the coming days just to get down to the cap limit.

Add to that, the Rams are going to see a fair amount of talent and roster-depth walk out-the-door in Johnson, Floyd, Fox, Hill, Everett, Reynolds, Blythe, Ebukam, Rivers and Brown.
The two team most upside down with the cap are the Rams at $35 M over the cap and the Saints at $58 M over the cap.