OFFICIAL 2021 Free agency, cuts, trades, and more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Yeah, but they are not desperate for a G. They have a couple young guys under contract for this yr and some for next yr. Still think Anchrum has a shot to play there in a yr. Just no need for a vet, concussion prone, old OG.
Since Kromer isn't there anymore, how do we know that the Rams view Anchrum as just a guard? Maybe they see him as a RT. Also, I'd only be for signing Long if it was a cheap prove it deal and let training camp determine who the best starting O-line is. Maybe he'd be for it, maybe not. Can't tell me there's not a back up lineman he can't possibly beat out at worst. Nothing wrong with depth and options on the o-line. Guessing what the Rams think they need is also futile since they make moves that have shocked a lot of us on more than one occasion.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
They traded Cooks due to concussion concerns. I don’t think it’s like them to bring in an older Olinemen who hasn’t played in a few years and has the same issue.
Maybe they do though
Yeah that's the hard part. You just never know with this front office. I guess if you can sell him on the compete for a spot only on a winning team plus a low risk, cheap contract to go with it, it's plausible.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
True, but having a bunch of mediocre ones doesn’t help the cause.
Yes, but this front office is very risky. Taking a flyer on a former 3 time Pro Bowl guard on a super cheap contract to see if he still has it isn't the worst idea. None of our lineman except Whit can say they been Pro Bowlers. If it pays off, not saying it will for whichever team does it, it's a genius move. If it doesn't, move on. Obviously all dependent on what Long can fetch on the open market.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
these voidable years are gonna come in handy... I think we end up using some of that with Stafford and I expect for them to announce an extension at the same time as the trade.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
these voidable years are gonna come in handy... I think we end up using some of that with Stafford and I expect for them to announce an extension at the same time as the trade.
These void years is precisely how they navigate a short cap this year and a big cap jump in 2022/2023

Shuie3225

Starter
I'm telling you guys. If vets at edge and on the line are what we need, they'll be there

This offseason is going to separate the average GMs from the great ones. The salary cap reduction means a lot of very good vet players will be released and hit the open market. But next year the cap will go back up. So many of the free agents this year will be inclined to take a 1 yr deal and hit free agency again next year when teams have more money. We will be able to get great players for cheaper than normal right now and can build out the roster with good players on 1 yr deals at OLB, OL, and WR maybe.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I admire the optimism, and hope (pray) you’re right.

I am a little less optimistic. Rams will pick first at #57, and then again around 100 with two expected comp picks.

The Rams may need to cut around $30M just to get to the 2021 salary cap. That just gets them to the cap. They would need to create more space before they can do any acquisitions.

To get down to the cap, the Rams may need to release a couple starters, or do a salary-dump trade for a late round pick.

I agree that there will be multiple new starters but I am not confident they will all be upgrades.

Hope I am wrong.
Fortunately for us, many teams will be in the same predicament this season.

We may see alot of 1 year deals this year with the uncertainty of the cap.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

And we’re competing with teams that have more cap space. Yes we can sell the chance to win a SB but they can also sign a higher value 1 year deal for more money and still hit free agency next year for another payday. We all thought Watt was going to sign and chase a ring and we see how wrong we were with him.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
And we’re competing with teams that have more cap space. Yes we can sell the chance to win a SB but they can also sign a higher value 1 year deal for more money and still hit free agency next year for another payday. We all thought Watt was going to sign and chase a ring and we see how wrong we were with him.
I didn’t expect Watt to go Cheap. He's a household name.

I dont expect any player to want a cheap deal.
However. With the cap drop, contracts are going to have to follow somehow.
It's no secret, as we all know, players that wouldn't normally get cut, will.
How many teams we're really prepared for a reduced cap in 2021?
Nobody could have predicted how back '20 was going to be.

Also. I'd be curious to see the FA lists for teams with a lot of projected cap space.
This is, occasionally, the reason a team has a lot of cap space.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

I agree with your second comment but not the first.

I believe there are only one or two teams that need to create more cap space in the coming days just to get down to the cap limit.

Add to that, the Rams are going to see a fair amount of talent and roster-depth walk out-the-door in Johnson, Floyd, Fox, Hill, Everett, Reynolds, Blythe, Ebukam, Rivers and Brown.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I agree with your second comment but not the first.

I believe there are only one or two teams that need to create more cap space in the coming days just to get down to the cap limit.

Add to that, the Rams are going to see a fair amount of talent and roster-depth walk out-the-door in Johnson, Floyd, Fox, Hill, Everett, Reynolds, Blythe, Ebukam, Rivers and Brown.
That's the sad truth. We're losing a lot of talent and key contributors. And with little money and draft capital, it's going to be rough to regroup.