OFFICIAL 2021 Free agency, cuts, trades, and more

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Rams Sign Buddy Howell & Donte Deayon To Active Roster, Place Jake Funk & Johnny Mundt On IR

Published on10/20/2021

AUTHOR​

Maximo Gonzales

Buddy-Howell.jpg

The Los Angeles Rams have officially signed running back Buddy Howell and cornerback Donte Deayon to the active roster while running back Jake Funk and tight end Johnny Mundt were placed on injured reserve.

Head coach Sean McVay revealed that both players will be sidelined for the rest of the 2021 NFL season. Mundt suffered a torn ACL while Funk tore his hamstring during the 38-11 victory over the New York Giants in Week 6.

Funk managed to secure the No. 3 spot on the depth chart behind running backs Darrell Henderson and Sony Michel during the preseason. However, they will now rely on Howell to provide some depth in the backfield and on special teams.

The former undrafted free agent out of FAU spent the last three seasons with the Houston Texans before signing with the Rams practice squad prior to the start of the 2021 campaign. Howell has played 33 special teams snaps after being promoted to the active roster in Weeks 3 and 4.

Deayon emerged as one of the more pleasant surprises in Week 6 after getting the call to provide some depth in the secondary with the recent injury to cornerback Darious Williams. Although safety Terrell Burgess started the game, it was the former that had the biggest impact with four tackles on 66 defensive snaps.

Deayon is another undrafted free agent that spent his first three seasons with the New York Giants before signing with the Rams in 2018. He stepped up big time for the Rams during their dominant win and he is set to take on an integral role in the coming weeks.

L.A. is in the midst of a favorable stretch with their next two opponents combining for just one win on the season heading into Week 7. This will be an ideal time for players like Deayon and Powell to continue finding their footing.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rams fill roster holes, replacing Jake Funk and Johnny Mundt following injuries
Donte Deayon and Buddy Howell were signed to active roster on Tuesday
By Venue Randy Soares Oct 19, 2021,
NFL: Los Angeles Rams at Denver Broncos

The LA Rams got unfortunate news on tight end Johnny Mundt and kickoff returner Jake Funk this week, placing both on season-ending IR with injuries, and in response announced the signing of Donte Deayon and Buddy Howell from their practice squad to the active roster to fill their spots.

View: https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/1450536964982071296?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1450536964982071296%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.turfshowtimes.com%2F2021%2F10%2F19%2F22735576%2Frams-transactions-roster-practice-squad-activated-donte-deayon

Deayon was activated last week for the Giants game. The injury to Darious Williams and the spotty play of David Long gave him his break.

He stepped up and made the most of it, getting involved in 66 defensive snaps. He showed stickiness, good breaks on the ball, and tackling heart. Pro Football Focus has given Deayon a score of 71.6 and of course, this website has never shied away from plugging Deayon as a player worthy of a roster spot — even during training camp.

View: https://twitter.com/QBsMVP/status/1450151048161660939?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1450151048161660939%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.turfshowtimes.com%2F2021%2F10%2F19%2F22735576%2Frams-transactions-roster-practice-squad-activated-donte-deayon

Buddy Howell was signed to the Rams PS after his release from the Houston Texans. He’s a big, bruising back who has earned a reputation on special teams. He has been active in two Ram games in 2021, logging 33 ST plays.

Beside his special teams play, Howell will offer a different look to the Rams running backs room, at 6’1 and 215 lbs he adds a size presence to the unit that is currently not there.

The secondary of the Los Angeles Rams has undergone some alterations this season, especially with Darious Williams on injured reserve. With more opportunities to go around, Dont’e Deayon made his season debut for the Rams in Week 6 versus the New York Giants.

Following Sunday’s rout of the Giants on the road, Sean McVay had glowing remarks about Deayon’s outing in Week 6.

“Double D is a really smart, instinctual player, great competitor,” McVay said. “He did a great job being able to play outside. He played some inside, played over 50 snaps for us and was a heavy contributor in a big way. I thought he did a great job. Definitely wasn’t too big for him, came up and made some tackles as an enforcer in some of the run fits. He did a really good job. I was really pleased with him.”

Besides the injury to Williams, David Long Jr. was struggling at cornerback for the Rams. As a result, Long has seen fewer than 30% of the defensive snaps in the past two weeks.

On Sunday, it was Robert Rochell and Deayon who saw the most time alongside Jalen Ramsey at the cornerback position. With Ramsey being moved around constantly in the defense, Deayon did see some playing time on the outside.

Despite him being an undersized defensive back at only 5-foot-9, Deayon wasn’t afraid to get involved in making tackles, combining for four tackles on Sunday. Deayon saw a career-high 88% of the snaps on defense for the Rams and seized the opportunity he was given.

Given the success the secondary of the Rams had in Week 6 against the Giants, I’d expect Deayon to continue seeing an increased role until Williams is able to return to the secondary

Last edited:

Psycho_X

Legend

Rams Sign Buddy Howell & Donte Deayon To Active Roster, Place Jake Funk & Johnny Mundt On IR

Published on10/20/2021

AUTHOR​

Maximo Gonzales

Buddy-Howell.jpg

The Los Angeles Rams have officially signed running back Buddy Howell and cornerback Donte Deayon to the active roster while running back Jake Funk and tight end Johnny Mundt were placed on injured reserve.

Head coach Sean McVay revealed that both players will be sidelined for the rest of the 2021 NFL season. Mundt suffered a torn ACL while Funk tore his hamstring during the 38-11 victory over the New York Giants in Week 6.

Funk managed to secure the No. 3 spot on the depth chart behind running backs Darrell Henderson and Sony Michel during the preseason. However, they will now rely on Howell to provide some depth in the backfield and on special teams.

The former undrafted free agent out of FAU spent the last three seasons with the Houston Texans before signing with the Rams practice squad prior to the start of the 2021 campaign. Howell has played 33 special teams snaps after being promoted to the active roster in Weeks 3 and 4.

Deayon emerged as one of the more pleasant surprises in Week 6 after getting the call to provide some depth in the secondary with the recent injury to cornerback Darious Williams. Although safety Terrell Burgess started the game, it was the former that had the biggest impact with four tackles on 66 defensive snaps.

Deayon is another undrafted free agent that spent his first three seasons with the New York Giants before signing with the Rams in 2018. He stepped up big time for the Rams during their dominant win and he is set to take on an integral role in the coming weeks.

L.A. is in the midst of a favorable stretch with their next two opponents combining for just one win on the season heading into Week 7. This will be an ideal time for players like Deayon and Powell to continue finding their footing.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Rams fill roster holes, replacing Jake Funk and Johnny Mundt following injuries
Donte Deayon and Buddy Howell were signed to active roster on Tuesday
By Venue Randy Soares Oct 19, 2021,
NFL: Los Angeles Rams at Denver Broncos

The LA Rams got unfortunate news on tight end Johnny Mundt and kickoff returner Jake Funk this week, placing both on season-ending IR with injuries, and in response announced the signing of Donte Deayon and Buddy Howell from their practice squad to the active roster to fill their spots.

View: https://twitter.com/RamsNFL/status/1450536964982071296?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1450536964982071296%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.turfshowtimes.com%2F2021%2F10%2F19%2F22735576%2Frams-transactions-roster-practice-squad-activated-donte-deayon

Deayon was activated last week for the Giants game. The injury to Darious Williams and the spotty play of David Long gave him his break.

He stepped up and made the most of it, getting involved in 66 defensive snaps. He showed stickiness, good breaks on the ball, and tackling heart. Pro Football Focus has given Deayon a score of 71.6 and of course, this website has never shied away from plugging Deayon as a player worthy of a roster spot — even during training camp.

View: https://twitter.com/QBsMVP/status/1450151048161660939?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1450151048161660939%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.turfshowtimes.com%2F2021%2F10%2F19%2F22735576%2Frams-transactions-roster-practice-squad-activated-donte-deayon

Buddy Howell was signed to the Rams PS after his release from the Houston Texans. He’s a big, bruising back who has earned a reputation on special teams. He has been active in two Ram games in 2021, logging 33 ST plays.

Beside his special teams play, Howell will offer a different look to the Rams running backs room, at 6’1 and 215 lbs he adds a size presence to the unit that is currently not there.

The secondary of the Los Angeles Rams has undergone some alterations this season, especially with Darious Williams on injured reserve. With more opportunities to go around, Dont’e Deayon made his season debut for the Rams in Week 6 versus the New York Giants.

Following Sunday’s rout of the Giants on the road, Sean McVay had glowing remarks about Deayon’s outing in Week 6.

“Double D is a really smart, instinctual player, great competitor,” McVay said. “He did a great job being able to play outside. He played some inside, played over 50 snaps for us and was a heavy contributor in a big way. I thought he did a great job. Definitely wasn’t too big for him, came up and made some tackles as an enforcer in some of the run fits. He did a really good job. I was really pleased with him.”

Besides the injury to Williams, David Long Jr. was struggling at cornerback for the Rams. As a result, Long has seen fewer than 30% of the defensive snaps in the past two weeks.

On Sunday, it was Robert Rochell and Deayon who saw the most time alongside Jalen Ramsey at the cornerback position. With Ramsey being moved around constantly in the defense, Deayon did see some playing time on the outside.

Despite him being an undersized defensive back at only 5-foot-9, Deayon wasn’t afraid to get involved in making tackles, combining for four tackles on Sunday. Deayon saw a career-high 88% of the snaps on defense for the Rams and seized the opportunity he was given.

Given the success the secondary of the Rams had in Week 6 against the Giants, I’d expect Deayon to continue seeing an increased role until Williams is able to return to the secondary

Happy for Deayon, I love his spirit and commitment to keep fighting despite being a practice squad guy for a long time now. I'm glad he's going to be getting some active roster paychecks finally. The guy is small which I'd say is one of the main reasons he hasn't been able to stick on an active roster yet but the dude is scrappy and physical for his size. Looking forward to see how hungry he is to compete to keep that roster spot. Rochelle will only get better too. Rapp being used appropriately like they did most of the Giants game and I have high hopes for this secondary by the time the playoffs come around.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Always enjoy tracking the back of the roster and practice squad, so I am curious about who (or is it whom?) the Rams add with two open spots.

If one is Jamil Demby, I may cry.

EDIT: That was fast! Pinkney (TE) and Haley (DB).
And no Demby!!

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Who is Grant Haley and why is she so excited about him?
Haley played a lot for the Giants in 2018 and 2019.

I find it interesting that the Rams have so many DBs on the Practice Squad. Six with Haley; and four are corners if Brooks counts as a CB.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Pinckney? Didn’t the Rams have a player on the team by that name in the 80’s or 90’s? Lovell I think. Good big, receiver or TE in college for Texas or Oklahoma? I recall being excited that he was on the team but he didn’t produce much.
Who is Grant Haley and why is she so excited about him?
Grant Haley played for Penn State. He had some big plays while there. Maybe she is a PSU fan.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Pinckney? Didn’t the Rams have a player on the team by that name in the 80’s or 90’s? Lovell I think. Good big, receiver or TE in college for Texas or Oklahoma? I recall being excited that he was on the team but he didn’t produce much.

Grant Haley played for Penn State. He had some big plays while there. Maybe she is a PSU fan.

You must be thinking of Irv Panky... or Pancky. I'm too lazy to look up the spelling.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Just saw something recently... Collinsworth used to be a real freaking creep. I mean...ew, gross, kinda creep.

"I like girls that aren't too bright cuz you can trick 'em a little bit"

"High school girls love me. Fourteen to eighteen, I'm a big star with them. As soon as they mature, after about 18 years, they start figuring out 'I know there's better than that out there'."

IDGAF if it was 1984. Pro football player talking about 14 year olds that way? GTFOH

And yes, folks "mature", they grow and they, hopefully, change for the better. Still gross and I admit it colors how I perceive him... gross. /shudder

That's some fucked up shit right there.

Setting aside his preference for less intelligent teens because he can trick them, why on earth would anyone, especially a professional athlete, admit that in a taped interview.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
You must be thinking of Irv Panky... or Pancky. I'm too lazy to look up the spelling.
Please tell me that was a joke. PLEASE!

Otherwise, you have made me feel very old. And it's not nice to be cruel to the elderly.

Irv Pankey was a favorite of mine, and a quality LT.

Lovell Pinkney was a third-string-TE for a cup of coffee. Mock his name as much as you want.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Just saw something recently... Collinsworth used to be a real freaking creep. I mean...ew, gross, kinda creep.

"I like girls that aren't too bright cuz you can trick 'em a little bit"

"High school girls love me. Fourteen to eighteen, I'm a big star with them. As soon as they mature, after about 18 years, they start figuring out 'I know there's better than that out there'."

IDGAF if it was 1984. Pro football player talking about 14 year olds that way? GTFOH

And yes, folks "mature", they grow and they, hopefully, change for the better. Still gross and I admit it colors how I perceive him... gross. /shudder

Can we cancel him? At least he'd deserve it, being such a shit announcer and an actual fucking creep.

Psycho_X

Legend
Can we cancel him? At least he'd deserve it, being such a shit announcer and an actual fucking creep.
That clip pops up every now and then. It surfaced like a decade ago and he apologized and talked about how he was embarrassed as a family man now and all that stuff. And then it seemed to go viral again a year or two ago and he apologized again.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Please tell me that was a joke. PLEASE!

Otherwise, you have made me feel very old. And it's not nice to be cruel to the elderly.

Irv Pankey was a favorite of mine, and a quality LT.

Lovell Pinkney was a third-string-TE for a cup of coffee. Mock his name as much as you want.

Hahahahahahaaaaa

I'm so old I couldn't remember the spelling. I admitted being too lazy to look it up though.

He was a favorite of mine too Brudda.