OFFICIAL 2021 Coaching changes / Black Monday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wouldn’t be surprised if he got a chance and he deserves it. Kind of curious if he gets a shot with us as well or if somebody tries to grab him before and if Staley gets a HC gig.
Yeah, that's kind of the fear. Losing either guy would not be ideal, losing both would be terrible.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So John Elway basically gave himself a promotion? Elevated role lol.

But now he can blame the new GM for making all of the dumb personnel decisions that he has been making over the last several years.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
So far no Staley rumors *knock on wood*. One thing going for us is he's a defensive coach which doesn't get as much hype these days and he's still very new with no head coaching experience on any level with only one year as a coordinator. I think/hope he might get a few token interviews but will be with us for a few more years.
It's coming. If Eberflus is getting attention you can bet Staley will have a fuckin limo waiting at the airport for him.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This won't be popular but if I'm McVay I would try to hire Doug Marrone right now as an offensive assistant. I am a big fan of offensive minds with a background on the OL. I think Marrone could help us out and McVay could benefit him as well.

Then after the playoffs maybe transition him into a different position if he meshes well with the staff. But for now I'd have him working protections, tells, and run game adjustments. IMO our protections expertise among our staff have not been the same since the Raiders hired Olson away.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So John Elway basically gave himself a promotion? Elevated role lol.

Likely the opposite. Owner didn't want to fire a Broncos legend, but he didn't want Elway being the GM anymore.

It's coming. If Eberflus is getting attention you can bet Staley will have a fuckin limo waiting at the airport for him.

TBF, Eberflus has had the Colts in the top 10 as a defense in two of his three years in Indy. That was after they sucked in Pagano's final years. Now, Staley was better this year, but I imagine some NFL teams might be wary about his lack of NFL experience.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
TBF, Eberflus has had the Colts in the top 10 as a defense in two of his three years in Indy. That was after they sucked in Pagano's final years. Now, Staley was better this year, but I imagine some NFL teams might be wary about his lack of NFL experience.
Eberflus will of course be a hot name he has had a great season but he starts looking quite average here and there as you go back prior to this season, whereas Staley lacks that additional sample size but his entire sample size is elite. Between the two I would say that Staley has a chance to be special but Eberflus is definitely not (IMO) special. Staley just has that anticipation in his gameplanning that the greats always show. Eberflus is hit and miss there.

I'm biased of course. But if I'm making the hire I would have Staley as the #2 defensive mind on my list. Right behind Saleh who has some down periods but all his struggles directly relate to him missing guys and whose high periods demonstrate he's at the top of his game. Eberflus is a tier down from those two to my eye at least.

Of course what is also important is their respective staff plans. That's an area where McVay really put himself above the rest by having Wade in his pocket so I'd love to see who the three of them have on their lists. Also and lastly is that IMO McVay helps his guys which shows in that hiring history. He genuinely wants his guys to get jobs I think. Not sure all HCs feel that way or are wired like Sean is.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Staley deserves better than the Jets.

Staley could work with the Jets D. But it seems to me Staley would need to have a prospective offensive coordinator in mind who would at least confirm interest in coming on board with the Jets. Especially if they are drafting a new qb.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That would be a terrible hire by Gruden.
I don't like Barry either as a DC. But I will admit he's a hell of a coach. Every time I see clips of him coaching I think to myself "there's a dude who has the leadership side down."

Overall as an extension of that I have to say McVay's been pretty damn good at his hires. Though I'm not sure how good our current OC is, it's hard to tell with the roster fucking up production.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Eberflus will of course be a hot name he has had a great season but he starts looking quite average here and there as you go back prior to this season, whereas Staley lacks that additional sample size but his entire sample size is elite. Between the two I would say that Staley has a chance to be special but Eberflus is definitely not (IMO) special. Staley just has that anticipation in his gameplanning that the greats always show. Eberflus is hit and miss there.

I'm biased of course. But if I'm making the hire I would have Staley as the #2 defensive mind on my list. Right behind Saleh who has some down periods but all his struggles directly relate to him missing guys and whose high periods demonstrate he's at the top of his game. Eberflus is a tier down from those two to my eye at least.

Of course what is also important is their respective staff plans. That's an area where McVay really put himself above the rest by having Wade in his pocket so I'd love to see who the three of them have on their lists. Also and lastly is that IMO McVay helps his guys which shows in that hiring history. He genuinely wants his guys to get jobs I think. Not sure all HCs feel that way or are wired like Sean is.

You're preaching to the choir on Staley. I think he's a McVay/Shanahan esque defensive mind. I'd rank him above Saleh. Issue is that being a great coordinator doesn't always translate to being a great HC. So I understand why the NFL might prefer a guy like Eberflus who has a good amount of success and a lot of seasoning. Plus, none of us have any real insight on how these guys are as leaders and what sort of connections they have around the NFL.