OFFICIAL 2021 Coaching changes / Black Monday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Yeah an offensive mind makes a lot of sense with a young QB or you're planning to draft one like AZ did. But a team with a vet like Detroit or Atlanta a defensive mind also makes a lot of sense.

i would agree 100% with that assuming they both keep their QBs, but then again Detroit went that route with Patricia and now moving on.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Every team is looking for the next offensive genius. Trend lately seems to favor offensive coaches to develop young QBs. It’s an offensive league so you need the offense.

I think Salah and Staley have a tougher time finding a HC job because of the side of the ball they coach.

Also Josh McDaniels is rumored (at least in these parts) to be heading to LA to take the Chargers job. Lot of Patriot connections I hear in their FO

Good. That means they will suck for a few more years.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Brandon Staley to be NFL head coach in 2021?
By Matt Fitzgerald
Los Angeles Rams rumors: Brandon Staley to be NFL head coach in 2021? : Sportsnaut
1608312025619.png

The Los Angeles Rams are considered a serious Super Bowl LV contender, and defensive coordinator Brandon Staley is a big reason why. Rumor has it that the 38-year-old wunderkind is at least going to get a serious look at head coach openings this offseason through multiple interviews.

Los Angeles Rams rumors: Buzz on Brandon Staley is real
Although he may be considered too young on the surface, NFL Network insider Ian Rapoport insists Staley could be the next coach to quickly ascend the NFL ranks:
The head coach buzz on Brandon Staley is legit. I would expect him to get some interviews. Young, but so was (is*) Sean McVay. https://t.co/zbNyD12gE8

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) December 17, 2020
To springboard off this Staley momentum, the Los Angeles TimesGary Klein did a piece on the coordinator’s prospective head coach candidacy. The Rams made a bold move hiring Sean McVay so young, and even he can see why his prized assistant would leave after only one season.

“Even though the Rams would get worse, that’s what it’s about. And if that’s something that he wants to do, and he gets an opportunity to compete for the job, there’s no doubt in my mind he’ll do a great job,” McVay said.

Staley is from the coaching tree of Denver Broncos boss Vic Fangio. Admittedly, that’s not been a wellspring of coaching talent to draw from in the past, yet Staley is deploying similar schemes to Fangio’s with his own wrinkles. It’s resulted in Los Angeles fielding the NFL’s top defense this season in terms of yards allowed per game.

Thanks largely to what the Rams did in landing McVay, the NFL-wide trend at the minute is to hire the next bright offensive mind. Fangio is one of the rare defensive coaches to be hired of late when he signed on with the Denver Broncos prior to 2019. Staley worked under Fangio in Chicago when the Bears had an elite defense spearheaded by Khalil Mack.

Los Angeles Rams rumors: Why Brandon Staley’s departure would be rough
Los Angeles Rams rumors: How would defense fare without Staley?
Dec 6,
The dominant narrative surrounding the Rams is how much of an offensive genius McVay is. While that still holds true, really, it’s Staley who has taken Los Angeles to another level with his schematic acumen on the other side of the ball. Superstar defensive lineman Aaron Donald is always going to be a problem for opponents to deal with. He’s critical to the Rams’ success.

That said, Los Angeles general manager Les Snead didn’t really make any splashy offseason additions to his defense. Staley was new to the team, and didn’t have a proper offseason, training camp or preseason to install his new system. With all that working against him, Staley lifted LA’s secondary to another level and vastly improved the Rams’ sieve of a run defense.

McVay initially arrived in L.A. with Wade Phillips as his defensive coordinator, and the latter’s wealth of head coaching experience definitely helped at the start of the tenure. Now, someone as brilliant as Staley may be out after one year, leaving McVay to find an exceptional replacement.

There should be plenty of interest to join McVay’s staff given his track record of success. However, striking gold a third time after Phillips and Staley is asking a lot.

As for Staley, leaving for the right offer is important, but there should be some appealing vacancies to consider. The New York Jets with presumptive No. 1 overall pick Trevor Lawrence and the Houston Texans with Deshaun Watson come to mind as suitors who need defensive help but are set at the all-important quarterback position.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rapoport: Expect Brandon Staley to get some interviews
LA may or may not retain their defensive coordinator next year
By Kenneth Arthur@KennethArthuRS Dec 17, 2020
1608311828603.png

There isn’t much you have to do to connect the dots. The LA Rams have the NFL’s best defense and that coincides with the arrival of Brandon Staley as the defensive coordinator. I personally prefer to focus on personnel and talent before coaching, and the Rams have some of the best defensive talent in the NFL and had plenty of success with Wade Phillips too, but Staley has put the stamp on his resume that he needed to draw interest as a head coach.

On Thursday morning, NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport repeated that there is buzz on Staley as a head coaching interview and said that he “would expect him to get some interviews.”
The head coach buzz on Brandon Staley is legit. I would expect him to get some interviews. Young, but so was (is*) Sean McVay. https://t.co/zbNyD12gE8
— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) December 17, 2020
Staley will be 38 next year but that is not relevant in a league where there are now many examples of under-40 coaches having success. That includes Sean McVay, but also Kevin Stefanski with the Browns and Brian Flores with the Dolphins as recently as 2020.

There are current openings with the Falcons, Texans and Lions, but three more will probably become available and you could draw conclusions that involve Staley with any of them. As I wrote two weeks ago, the Bears and Broncos would be two potential “surprise” openings that would have a direct connection to Staley and defensive stars that may be attractive to him.

There is also a chance that Staley is happy where he is now and wants to continue to learn more with the Rams before moving on or that no teams will see him as the right fit for their current situation. The rumors connecting him to teams until then seem like they won’t go away any time soon.

Brandon Staley humbled by head coaching talk but focused on helping Rams win (yahoo.com)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams Rookie Coordinator Brandon Staley is Hot NFL Coaching Candidate – NBC Los Angeles
Rams Rookie Coordinator Brandon Staley is Hot NFL Coaching Candidate
Brandon Staley has only been the Los Angeles Rams’ defensive coordinator for 13 games, and everybody already knows he could be on his way up.
By Greg Beacham • Published December 18, 2020

NFL: AUG 29 Rams Scrimmage
Icon

Brandon Staley has only been the Los Angeles Rams' defensive coordinator for 13 games, and everybody already knows he could be on his way up. Staley is a popular name in NFL circles this month as the league's less successful teams plot their next head coaching hire. Less than one full season into his rookie year as an NFL coordinator, the 37-year-old Staley's impressive work in building the league's top-ranked defense has almost guaranteed he'll be compelled to at least take some interviews in January with teams looking for the next Sean McVay.

Just four years after he was the defensive coordinator at Division III John Carroll University, Staley could perhaps have his own NFL team next fall, if he wants one. While Staley can't ignore the obvious interest in his meteoric rise, he insists he's preoccupied by more immediate goals with the Rams (9-4), who have emerged as a Super Bowl contender largely because of the defense's success.

To be recognized among your peers, the coaches and players, as someone that's doing a good job. ... I'm just excited to see where we can take it these last three games of the season. There's so much work to do, and that's where our focus is.” The Rams are headed into Week 14 leading the NFL in fewest yards allowed (285.8) and fewest yards passing allowed (191.7) despite losing several veteran playmakers from last season’s team and replacing them largely from within. Los Angeles is allowing just 18.9 points per game and dominating in the second half of most of its games with Staley’s innovative schemes built around Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey.
McVay has already built a coaching tree with his impressive success in just four seasons with the Rams. Staley probably is the next big branch, whether he sticks with the Rams in 2021 or seizes another opportunity.
Staley will definitely be around Sunday when the Rams look to boost their NFC West lead against the NFL-worst offense of the New York Jets (0-13).

“Even though the Rams would get worse, that’s what it’s about,” McVay said of the potential of losing Staley. “If that’s something that he wants to do and gets an opportunity to compete for a job, there’s no doubt in my mind he’d do a great job. He’s a phenomenal coach. He’s a great person.”

Two of McVay's former assistants — Green Bay's Matt LaFleur and Cincinnati's Zac Taylor — have already become NFL head coaches. Other assistants have landed bigger jobs — most recently assistant quarterbacks coach Liam Coen, who will leave after this season to be the University of Kentucky's offensive coordinator.

“One of the best things about when we've been able to have success is you've seen guys get other opportunities that I was so fortunate to get a few years ago,” said McVay, who landed his job shortly before his 31st birthday with the encouragement of former Washington head coach Jay Gruden.

Staley’s relatively modest NFL credentials could have been a problem with a largely veteran defense, but he appeared to earn the group’s respect quickly — and his stature among his players has only grown with each success.

When asked if Staley should be a head coach someday, cornerback Darious Williams replied: “Oh hell yeah."
“The dude is a genius,” Williams added. "He's real smart. He just loves football, and he knows the people to pick. He knows the guys he wants around him." Williams is among Staley's most astute choices. The third-year pro hadn't played regularly on defense until the final games of last season, but Staley promoted him to a starting role this season, and Williams has ranked among the NFL's most effective cornerbacks with four interceptions opposite Ramsey.

McVay plucked Staley out of relative obscurity after three seasons as an outside linebackers coach under Vic Fangio in Chicago and Denver. Although they had no serious coaching ties before they met, McVay thought he recognized something special in the high-energy, cerebral assistant with interesting ideas about scheme and tactics.

Staley's success has proven McVay was absolutely right again.“I hope I at least have more than a year with him,” McVay said with a chuckle. “But if not, I'd be ecstatic for him and his family. He's done such a great job. ... You certainly acknowledge (the interest). But what he knows is the reason it's come up is because he's done such a phenomenal job in his role. I don't have any doubt that his focus and concentration is solely on continuing to lead our defense."

NOTES: LB Terrell Lewis (knee) practiced with the Rams on Wednesday, and McVay said they expect him to be back to full participation this week. McVay still isn't sure whether the rookie will play Sunday. ... WR Robert Woods got a day off to rest a thigh injury, but McVay expects him to play Sunday.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'm still shocked that 2 seasons have gone by and Saleh hasn't gotten an HC shot, yet.
It may have to do with the quality of his interview. Saleh has the on-field production but that is just part of the equation for owners I think. You have to impress them.

I suspect that Staley will come across well in his interviews. Hope not but expect him to be fought over by multiple teams.

Also of note (relating to an article above) is that the Rams defense had shown some big improvement in the run game from 2018 to 2019. Much of that was the play of the DL particularly the middle. Not detracting from what Staley has done either, just setting that record straight that we had seen that trend starting and improved talent on the nose was part of it.

What makes him special is his eye for talent. He doesn't fuck around. He didn't make Williams wait. He promoted the lower drafted rookie to a starting role and has expertly moved Hill around in situations to make it tough for QBs to target him. Just that feel for what guys are capable of. IMO the greats all have that.

I consider him gone but I'm going to continue watching this defense get better and focus on now. And if teams are too stupid to go get him good for us. Because we have a real shot to win it all this season and goddamn it feels great.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I fully expect him to be gone after this year. I just hope we win a Super Bowl and make his departure worth it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm going to make a prediction. Right now, there are a lot of teams asking themselves why the hell they didn't hire Sean McVay back in 2016 or 2017 before the Rams. In four years, there are going to be a lot of teams asking themselves why the hell they didn't hire Brandon Staley before ____________. I just hope Staley takes a job in the AFC.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
"Hey Staley, you've got a big surprise comin' to you. You're not going anywhere...."
iu

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm going to make a prediction. Right now, there are a lot of teams asking themselves why the hell they didn't hire Sean McVay back in 2016 or 2017 before the Rams. In four years, there are going to be a lot of teams asking themselves why the hell they didn't hire Brandon Staley before ____________. I just hope Staley takes a job in the AFC.

I think they all saw that other young coach crash and burn at the raiders years ago and were gun shy.

On another note remember all the talking heads mocking the Rams for hiring Mcvay. Seriously, are those bozos ever right about anything?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think they all saw that other young coach crash and burn at the raiders years ago and were gun shy.

On another note remember all the talking heads mocking the Rams for hiring Mcvay. Seriously, are those bozos ever right about anything?

Of whom do you speak? Kiffin?

Interesting tidbit. The Raiders have never had a coach with a losing record.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of whom do you speak? Kiffin?

Interesting tidbit. The Raiders have never had a coach with a losing record.

Yeah that’s the guy.

I didn't know his record but it all ended badly. Did we ever see him again in the nfl?

Edit - was he the guy that was lumped with jarmacus russell?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Yeah that’s the guy.

I didn't know his record but it all ended badly. Did we ever see him again in the nfl?

Edit - was he the guy that was lumped with jarmacus russell?

I don’t recall but I believe he was hired to coach Tennessee then bolted for the NFL

Deac

Starter
Name
Sean
Not all assistants take the HC jobs offered but.....4-6 mill a year is hard to pass up. Having the ability to call all the shots, build something the way they see it, it is all very tempting, which is why most end up taking them. Hopefully we can keep Staley for a year longer, but I see that as a wishful thought the longer the season goes on and his success is still rising

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dont know if its been mentioned elsewhere, or whether it belongs here or not, but Lovie Smith is available for a team needing a DC