OFFICIAL 2021 Coaching changes / Black Monday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
A few years from now Staley might be back as our DC again after a learning experience running another team who knows. Paying it forward is smart and it also helps to attract top minds if they know you're not a fucking asshole like McCarthy or Zimmer who will block you to protect themselves.

Eventually they shake loose down the road, and can work together again, etc. McVay has a few of these seeds planted already.

It does suck losing a guy after 1 season, if that happens.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
One other interesting thing with McVay is that he doesn't seem to let friendships affect his decision making with his staff. He didn't give Barry the DC role, didn't give Phillips a passing game coordinator or OC role, and now we'll see whether he gives Shula the DC role when Staley leaves.

It's been really interesting to watch how he handles that stuff. IMO he missed with Waldron btw but he did handle that with a change at OC.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
One other interesting thing with McVay is that he doesn't seem to let friendships affect his decision making with his staff. He didn't give Barry the DC role, didn't give Phillips a passing game coordinator or OC role, and now we'll see whether he gives Shula the DC role when Staley leaves.

It's been really interesting to watch how he handles that stuff. IMO he missed with Waldron btw but he did handle that with a change at OC.

I have a post on the coaching staff,but either way I see the Knitting of the coaching staff differently.
The friendships are what they are.Joe Barry is the Assistant HC. If anything happens with Mcvay he will become the HC.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Staley needs to stand down with this promotion within rhetoric crap!!!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Really? They should have done that with the offense too. Missed opportunities.
Yup new rule this year. You hire a minority for HC or a coordinator the team you hired him from gets 2 comp picks 3rd round back to back years I think. You promote one from within and you get 1 pick in the 3rd I think it is. Ironic that the Raiders are interviewing the other position coach who is the only white guy of the bunch? :D

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay's got the right feel on this IMO. You let those guys go for the better opportunity and keep hiring more guys who can bring that for you. Some coaches just don't have a feel on assistants but I think McVay is one of the best at that already.

A few years from now Staley might be back as our DC again after a learning experience running another team who knows. Paying it forward is smart and it also helps to attract top minds if they know you're not a fucking asshole like McCarthy or Zimmer who will block you to protect themselves.
McVay can’t block Staley from interviewing and/or taking a HC job though.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
McVay can’t block Staley from interviewing and/or taking a HC job though.
Yeah I realize that. Just dislike the way the rules work overall, would prefer the OC jobs cannot be blocked either. Nice to have some of these head coaches take the honorable way on it is all.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

This is why McVay has a TON of rope with me. He seems to be a builder.

The “builder” is a harder talent to find than the X’s and O’s tactician. Those guys come and go.

But a true leader... A uniting presence who oozes your culture and keeps everything pointed one way. Sees beyond 1 season and makes decisions as such.

McVay, as young as he is... is LIGHT YEARS ahead of a normal leader.

There are so many personalities to manage in football. McVay gets an A in my book.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I realize that. Just dislike the way the rules work overall, would prefer the OC jobs cannot be blocked either. Nice to have some of these head coaches take the honorable way on it is all.
Totally agree on OC or DC position being a legit promotion and shouldnt need team approval. But I guess the system is as good as it can be without needing to install all sorts of safeguards to maintain compliance. (IE "assistant head coach" nonsense). I think its fair to say all of these coaches got a break along the way, blocking one of their coaches from getting same just seems shitty

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Id prefer if coaches that move into a new role (up) like Staley did, then they are untouchable for 2-3 seasons. It would give them more time to learn about the next level, prevent the ‘jumping the gun’ hires and would allow a coach with the foresight to hire them into that role to enjoy the fruits of their labor for 2 or three seasons.

call it a coaching apprenticeship

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
This is why McVay has a TON of rope with me. He seems to be a builder.

The “builder” is a harder talent to find than the X’s and O’s tactician. Those guys come and go.

But a true leader... A uniting presence who oozes your culture and keeps everything pointed one way. Sees beyond 1 season and makes decisions as such.

McVay, as young as he is... is LIGHT YEARS ahead of a normal leader.

There are so many personalities to manage in football. McVay gets an A in my book.

McVay is not intimidated by coaching talent, as appeared to be the case with the previous
regime.
The hiring process doesn't have to fall under the "friends of category" for him to make a move.
I think this falls under the confidence section of the true leader recipe.
Just one more reason McVay has my total support.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
NFL hiring/firing tracker: Chan Gailey resigns as Dolphins offensive coordinator
Katie McInerney 1 hr ago
http://a.msn.com/02/en-us/BB1crhOb?ocid=sf

As the NFL regular season wraps up, it’s time for the annual parade of firings and hirings among coaching staffs.

a man wearing a baseball hat: Chan Gailey.
© Phelan M. Ebenhack Chan Gailey.
We’ll be tracking who’s losing their job, who’s getting a new one, and much more.

Teams with head coaching vacancies: Falcons, Lions, Texans, Jets, Jaguars, Chargers

Teams with general manager vacancies: Falcons, Lions, Texans, Panthers, Jaguars, Broncos

Chan Gailey resigns from Miami — 9:15 a.m.

Two days after ESPN erroneously reported that Chan Gailey had been fired from Brian Flores’ staff with the Dolphins, Miami announced that Gailey has resigned from his position as offensive coordinator.

“I want to thank Chan for all of his hard work and dedication in what was a unique year,” Flores said in a statement on Wednesday. “He played an important role on the staff and in the development of our young roster. I wish him all the best.”

Could Caserio’s move impact Ziegler? — 9:20 p.m.

Nick Caserio is now finalizing a deal to become the next GM in Houston, according to our Ben Volin. Could that ultimately impact New England’s thinking when it comes to Dave Ziegler, who is apparently being eyed by the Broncos? We’ll see.

Texans ‘close’ to hiring Caserio — 8:40 p.m.

ESPN is reporting the Texans are “close” to a deal to make Patriots player personnel director Nick Caserio their new GM. If New England loses Caserio, Ziegler figures to be the likeliest in-house person to replace him. However, as we learned earlier in the evening, he could be in play when it comes to the GM job in Denver.