2013 NFL Draft/Prospect Discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
bluecoconuts said:
Honestly the more I think about it, and I almost feel bad doing so, the more I'm thinking about Tavon Austin from West Virginia.

He's a receiver, he's fast, he's a great punt return guy, and he plays running back. He would essentially make Pead unnecessary, because he can be a RB, but he's got the skills to play WR. He's listed officially as a WR, but he put up 344 yards playing RB in a game. Plus 146 return yards. He's not going to break any tackles, but he can juke a guy out of his shoes.

But again, drafting him would essentially replace Pead, so it's something I'm torn on, because we haven't really gotten a chance on Pead. But taking him would fill 3 spots. He can be a 3rd RB, be a return man, and WR. It's a tough decision.

I know there's a few other guys here who want him too.

I like Tavon Austin. He reminds me of Percy Harvin. He is a playmaker, but because he doesnt fill a vital need(ie OLB, S, OL, Outside WR etc) he needs to be a value pick when we select him. He is currently considered a late first/early second. Kinda no mans land for us barring a trade.

If the FO grades him out as a Percy Harvin jr, then I wouldnt be opposed to snagging him with our 2nd first rounder

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
KYLE VAN NOY! WOW! He just got my attention in his bowl game. Now that's a guy who would fit with the Rams no?

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Rather than Jennings, Bows and even Wallace...wouldn't it be sick if Snead offered a 2013 3rd and maybe something late in 2014 for Percy Harvin. If I had a wish that would be the one. I like the kid Tavon Austin too but we need an established WR and Harvin fits nicely.

I'm worn out about the Brian Quick "slowness" progression. He will show up next season! I never expected him to light it up immediately and I'm a patient fan for this kid.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
BatteringRambo said:
Rather than Jennings, Bows and even Wallace...wouldn't it be sick if Snead offered a 2013 3rd and maybe something late in 2014 for Percy Harvin. If I had a wish that would be the one. I like the kid Tavon Austin too but we need an established WR and Harvin fits nicely.

I'm worn out about the Brian Quick "slowness" progression. He will show up next season! I never expected him to light it up immediately and I'm a patient fan for this kid.

That could be a real possibility. Word is that the Vikings will try and trade him in the offseason. The one year remanding on his contract and injury/headache/attitude issues have to drive down their asking price.

That said, I could see him as a guy that would hold out for a new deal before he plays next year. That could put us in a cap situation.

Like your thinking Rambo.

Then we could use our two 1s and 2nd on OLB, S, OL, DT, TE, etc. Coming out of the draft with:
Warmack(OG)
CJ Mosley (OLB)
Tony Jefferson(S)
Percy Harvin(WR)

Wow. That would be fantastic.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
If SJack leaves....I really hope he doesn't there's gonna be a huge need for a RB. If this guy goes pro, I want the Rams to draft Joseph Randle from Okie State. Dude is 6' 200 lbs, he has the body of Adrian Peterson.

joseph-randle-opxr-66897.jpg

Ran for 1351 yards in a spread Big 12 conference.

So far my guys are...

1a. Barrett Jones
1b. Jarvis Jones (or if a WR happens to become uber awesome).
2. Joseph Randle
3. A safety...either Tony Jefferson or Bacarri Rambo (only b/c his name is awesome).
4. Honeybadger (yeah, I went there). Punt returner hello.
5. RT
6. Another OLB
7. QB just for shits and giggles.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Angry Ram said:
If SJack leaves....I really hope he doesn't there's gonna be a huge need for a RB. If this guy goes pro, I want the Rams to draft Joseph Randle from Okie State. Dude is 6' 200 lbs, he has the body of Adrian Peterson.

joseph-randle-opxr-66897.jpg

Ran for 1351 yards in a spread Big 12 conference.

So far my guys are...

1a. Barrett Jones
1b. Jarvis Jones (or if a WR happens to become uber awesome).
2. Joseph Randle
3. A safety...either Tony Jefferson or Bacarri Rambo (only b/c his name is awesome).
4. Honeybadger (yeah, I went there). Punt returner hello.
5. RT
6. Another OLB
7. QB just for shits and giggles.

I'd absolutely love to get a guy as talented as Tyrann Mathieu, but I feel that he could be had in the sixth round or later with all of the issues he's had this year.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I think 4th round is perfect for Honeybadger, especially for the Rams since it'll be a mid 4th round pick. I think Fletcher is a gonner, so we'll need moar depth.

Really wish the QBs can make a name for themselves, b/c that way we can cross off some players to some teams.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Don't really understand the obsession with Warmack.

Is he a good prospect? Yes.

Is he the most dominant road grading linemen I've seen in years? No. Far from it.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Username said:
Don't really understand the obsession with Warmack.

Is he a good prospect? Yes.

Is he the most dominant road grading linemen I've seen in years? No. Far from it.

Same here. I like Larry Warford (Kentucky) a lot more than I like Warmack.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I've been reading up on some mock science and the one I really like is the dude over at draft countdown. He gave us Warmack and then Jake Mathews. I know Safety is an area of need, but I really like the guard/tackle selection. Mathews has been a RT in college, and a madman...but he has the ability to at least give a show at LT if they wanted him to. I'd be fine with Saffold on the left and Mathews on the right.

#1 Saffold/Dahl/Wells/Warmack/Mathews
#2 Hunter/Watkins/Turner/Smith/Hunter

I'd imagine there are still a couple guys that will be around to take for the secondary in the 2nd. Maybe Swearinger or Rambo? Haven't really looked at later rounds yet.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
91NGA.png

The 2013 safety class is going to be a strong one. At this point there isn’t a top of the draft safety like there was last year, when Mark Barron was chosen seventh overall by the Bucs. But the depth at the position is very good, and teams will find excellent value picks at the position in the third and fourth rounds. Here are the safeties that scouts say are at the top of their boards before the all star games and workouts.

1. Kenny Vaccaro, Texas, 6-1, 218. One front office man compared him to Rodney Harrison; another said he reminded him of Troy Polamalu. Vaccaro is a high energy safety who plays with instincts and physicality. He is highly competitive and has explosive movements. He can go get the football.

2. J.J. Wilcox, Georgia Southern, 6-0, 215. This sleeper has come on strong this season and has scouts buzzing. If he acquits himself well in the Senior Bowl, he can probably lock himself in as a second round pick. He is physical, fast, tough and aggressive, and he has a nose for the football. He just has to show he can play with the big boys.

3. T.J. McDonald, Southern Cal, 6-2, 205. He is a rangy, versatile safety with good bloodlines. His father is 49ers safety Tim McDonald. The younger McDonald is a defensive quarterback. He is big and physical. He did not have a great 2012 season, and some front office men question his instincts.

4. Bacarri Rambo, Georgia, 6-0, 210. He is a pure free safety with a good feel for the passing game. Rambo has good ball skills and makes plays. He isn’t a very physical tackler, but he gets his man on the ground. Two scouts said character issues could affect his draft stock.

5. Zeke Motta, Notre Dame, 6-2, 215. Motta had a fine senior season and climbed up draft boards. He isn’t as highly regarded as his former teammate Harrison Smith, but he could be taken as high as the second round. He has a nice combination of size and speed, and he’s a hitter. Motta has some deficiencies in coverage.

6. Shamarko Thomas, Syracuse, 5-10, 210. One front office man compared him to Bob Sanders. Like the former Colts safety, Thomas is very physical and explosive. He probably will time out as one of the faster safeties in the class, and his stock could jump. He plays with excellent aggression. He should be a hit on special teams.

7. Phillip Thomas, Fresno State, 6-1, 215. He missed his junior season with a broken leg but really helped himself in 2012. Thomas makes plays on the football. He is a very aggressive player who can be a striker. He has enough speed and cover ability. The more scouts look at him, the more they like him, and his stock might not be finished rising.

8. D.J. Swearinger, South Carolina, 5-11, 210. This is a downhill player well suited to play the strong safety position. Swearinger is physical, aggressive and tough, and he can make the open field tackle. He also has shown some ball skills.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Sco ... -7857.html

lasvegasrams

Rookie
two wr's that i like are both the usc receivers, marqise lee and woods. sure, the team sucked this year but both are very talented receivers that have good YAC. Lee is more of a Givens type receiver while Woods is more like Quick. I also would LOVE honeybadger. (safety) Dahl needs to be replaced ASAP!!

with all that said, the main focus should be to get some o-line depth.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
bluecoconuts said:
Vaccaro and Rambo are the two guys I would like to target.

Same here. Rambo is a guy, in particular, that jumps out to me. In all honesty I havent really watch/concentrated on much of the list.

BC, you or anyone else know what round Rambo is projected to go in?

Wilcox intrigues me. I havent seen him play at all. Watching Southern Georgia typical does not sit a top things Id like to do on saturdays lol. However if he is garnering this type of attention, this early in the process, he could be a good one.

bluecoconuts

Legend
libertadrocks said:
bluecoconuts said:
Vaccaro and Rambo are the two guys I would like to target.

Same here. Rambo is a guy, in particular, that jumps out to me. In all honesty I havent really watch/concentrated on much of the list.

BC, you or anyone else know what round Rambo is projected to go in?

Wilcox intrigues me. I havent seen him play at all. Watching Southern Georgia typical does not sit a top things Id like to do on saturdays lol. However if he is garnering this type of attention, this early in the process, he could be a good one.

I don't watch a lot of college, but I think Rambo goes in the top 3 rounds, probably a 2nd rounder.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
I'm glad Seattle is for sure drafting behind our second first rounder now. I could see those bitches taking the receiver we want.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
Kyle Long, OT/OG, Oregon

Thought this might be an interesting guy to throw in here, being Chris' brother and the Rams need at the position. Looks like he can't go back to school, even if he wants.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/index. ... _kyle.html
EUGENE — Senior offensive lineman Kyle Long said he is disappointed that his first season with the Ducks will be his last.

"The decision, it was out of my hands the whole time," said Long, who found out this week that his appeal for another season of eligibility was denied by the NCAA.

"You can plan a pretty picnic, but you can't predict the weather — that's what Outkast said," Long said after practice Wednesday. "So you gotta have a plan and stick with it, and that's what we're trying to do here. ...

"Just very appreciate of all the people in the Eugene area and all Duck fans across the country for their support over the last few months (and) for everybody adopting me as one of their own. ... The main thing is I want to keep working toward my degree. I wouldn't have been finished until next year regardless. So I need to come up with a plan to keep my academic focus intact."
A 23rd-round draft pick by the Chicago White Sox in 2008, Long began his college career as a hard-throwing, left-handed pitcher at Florida State. His career at FSU was cut short after he was arrested for driving under the influence in January 2009, but he eventually remade himself as a football player at Saddleback College in Mission Viejo, Calif., then signed with the Ducks earlier this year.

He played in 10 of 12 games for the Ducks this season, taking over the starting job at left guard after a series of injuries on the offensive line. He had never played guard until the week leading up to Oregon's game against USC on Nov. 3.

"He had a great impact on us," UO coach Chip Kelly said. "Great kid. Really just a good person to be around. Great teammate. A tremendous football player."

With his family lineage — his father, Howie, is in Pro Football Hall of Fame and his brother, Chris, was the No. 2 overall pick by the St. Louis Rams in 2008 — Long is an intriguing NFL draft prospect as a versatile, 6-foot-7, 311-pound lineman.

"Tackle, guard — I just want to play," Long said. "I'm a hungry kid who just wants an opportunity."

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
smram said:
Kyle Long, OT/OG, Oregon

Thought this might be an interesting guy to throw in here, being Chris' brother and the Rams need at the position. Looks like he can't go back to school, even if he wants.

EUGENE — Senior offensive lineman Kyle Long said he is disappointed that his first season with the Ducks will be his last.

"The decision, it was out of my hands the whole time," said Long, who found out this week that his appeal for another season of eligibility was denied by the NCAA.

"You can plan a pretty picnic, but you can't predict the weather — that's what Outkast said," Long said after practice Wednesday. "So you gotta have a plan and stick with it, and that's what we're trying to do here. ...

"Just very appreciate of all the people in the Eugene area and all Duck fans across the country for their support over the last few months (and) for everybody adopting me as one of their own. ... The main thing is I want to keep working toward my degree. I wouldn't have been finished until next year regardless. So I need to come up with a plan to keep my academic focus intact."
A 23rd-round draft pick by the Chicago White Sox in 2008, Long began his college career as a hard-throwing, left-handed pitcher at Florida State. His career at FSU was cut short after he was arrested for driving under the influence in January 2009, but he eventually remade himself as a football player at Saddleback College in Mission Viejo, Calif., then signed with the Ducks earlier this year.

He played in 10 of 12 games for the Ducks this season, taking over the starting job at left guard after a series of injuries on the offensive line. He had never played guard until the week leading up to Oregon's game against USC on Nov. 3.

"He had a great impact on us," UO coach Chip Kelly said. "Great kid. Really just a good person to be around. Great teammate. A tremendous football player."

With his family lineage — his father, Howie, is in Pro Football Hall of Fame and his brother, Chris, was the No. 2 overall pick by the St. Louis Rams in 2008 — Long is an intriguing NFL draft prospect as a versatile, 6-foot-7, 311-pound lineman.

"Tackle, guard — I just want to play," Long said. "I'm a hungry kid who just wants an opportunity."
Wow. Cool story. I wonder how heavy he was when he was a pitcher, and how much weight he put on to play football. That's a pretty big transition - from pitcher to offensive lineman. Sheesh.

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
X said:
smram said:
Kyle Long, OT/OG, Oregon

Wow. Cool story. I wonder how heavy he was when he was a pitcher, and how much weight he put on to play football. That's a pretty big transition - from pitcher to offensive lineman. Sheesh.

At 6'7'', he'd almost be 1/8th of the way to the plate before the ball even comes out of his hand. Exaggerating a bit but that would be intimidating. Sounds like he can bring the heat too. Not sure what his ball playing weight would have been. Can't imagine he would have been much smaller though?

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
More on Long.
http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... _long.html

Oregon Ducks recruit Kyle Long overcomes mistakes to live up to talent and name
Published: Monday, January 30, 2012, 8:31 PM Updated: Tuesday, January 31, 2012, 2:50 PM
By Aaron Fentress, The Oregonian The Oregonian
Follow 63

Share close Digg Stumble Upon Fark Reddit
Email
Print
View full sizeRivals.comKyle Long
The pressure to live up to his family's name and talents didn't consume Kyle Long as a two-sport high school star growing up in Charlottesville, Va.

The demands of competing at a high level were not to blame when the son of Pro Football Hall of Famer Howie Long failed as a student and baseball player at Florida State

The only obstacle preventing Kyle Long, maybe the most talented of the Long lineage, from achieving success was Kyle Long.

Things came too easily, too soon for the Oregon Ducks offensive tackle recruit out of Saddleback College in Mission Viejo, Calif. Until they didn't.

He wound up in jail. Only then did he realize he had to fix himself. That revelation shifted his trajectory to conclude one of the more unusual paths any Oregon football recruit will have ever traveled before eventually landing in Eugene. Today, Long couldn't be happier with where he's ended up, where's he's headed and who he is at this stage in his life.

"I've gotten my feet under me and been able to make some strides as a man," Long, 23, said.

Talent to burn

Growing up consumed by sports, Long was a beast in every sense of the sports colloquialism. He was too big to make weight to qualify to play Pop Warner football as a child. He stood 6-foot-7, 290-pounds when he resumed the sport as a sophomore at St. Anne's-Belfield School.

Long terrorized quarterbacks as a defensive end. He manhandled pass rushers as an offensive tackle. He even played some tight end. In baseball, his first love, the intimidating left-handed pitcher lit up the radar gun with a fastball in the mid-90 mph range.

He didn't just follow nicely in the footsteps of his older brother Chris Long, the Virginia defensive end who became the No. 2-overall selection by the St. Louis Rams during the 2008 NFL Draft, Kyle Long trampled over them.

Howie Long, an eight-time Pro Bowler during his 13 seasons with the Oakland and Los Angeles Raiders, said he and Chris, 26, would often marvel to the point of laughter at the natural gifts Kyle possessed as a teen.

"I think Kyle is more gifted than I am, or was," Howie Long, 51, said.

While Chris, Howie Long said, had to grind to maximize his abilities, Kyle oozed talent.

"In many ways his greatest gifts maybe were his biggest curse because he was so talented physically," Howie Long said.

Kyle Long had a buffet of career paths to choose from. College football programs clamored for his services. His .500 batting average and 95 strikeouts in 50 innings pitched as a senior had college baseball coaches salivating. The Chicago White Sox selected Long in the 23rd-round of the 2008 MLB First-year Player Draft.

Long ultimately chose to play baseball at Florida State. A choice, it turned out, he simply wasn’t ready for.

Costly mistakes

Long said the college atmosphere and the freedom of being away from home for the first time proved too much for him to handle. He admittedly spent more time partying than studying and slipped into academic troubles.

“I didn’t have a great understanding of the commitment it took to be a student athlete at the next level,” he said.

Long eventually partied his way into legal troubles, as well. In January of 2009 he was arrested for driving while intoxicated at 2:01 A.M.

“His circumstances were all of his own doing,” Howie Long said.

Kyle Long places all of the blame on his shoulders.

“It was my fault I didn’t go to class,” he said. “It was my fault I didn’t go to visit my tutor. The list goes on and on and that falls on me…I guess I used alcohol as a crutch at one time.”

View full sizeAP PhotoSt. Louis Rams defensive end Chris Long was the No. 2 overall pick in the 2008 NFL Draft. But his father, Howie Long, said little brother Kyle Long is the more gifted athlete of the two.
By the end of his freshman year Long knew he needed to reassess his life. He dropped out of school and returned home.

“My family and I decided it would best for me to stay home and figure out what was best for me as a person, not necessarily as an athlete,” he said. “I took some time and really got myself together. I wanted to go back into school and needed a fresh start.”

Ashamed, Kyle Long said he rarely left the house. While he wallowed in self-pity, his brother was making a name for himself in the NFL. Sibling rivalry wasn’t the issue as much as facing the fact his talents were going to waste.

How had he steered himself so wrongly?

Creating a new path

Months later, Long finally exited his funk and took classes at a local community college. He then decided he wanted back on the football field. He researched some junior colleges and ended up at Saddleback.

Kyle Long took to football again as if he’d never given up the sport. He also took time to try and grow up.

Saddleback coach Mark McElroy said Kyle Long is a fun person who has matured and is still maturing.

“I would have to say like all of us we’re in the process but he’s come a long way and I’m really proud of him,” McElroy said. “And I’m real proud to say I’ve gotten t know him.”

Long had a productive year as a defensive end in 2010 for Saddleback before moving to offensive tackle in 2011.

He made the switch in part to pave his own path at a position different than Chris and their father played.

Howie Long said he’s always pegged his son as a true offensive tackle, anyway.

“I’ve always found it to be more of a natural for him,” Howie Long said. “And I think that it allows him to get some separation from dad and brother.”

McElroy said the moment Long walked in the door he knew had a big time talent on his hands.’

“When he first got here you look at him and you’re like, ‘oh my gosh, he looks like an NFL football player,’” McElroy said.

And that’s where he sees Long ending up.

“My expectations are that you’ll see him drafted in the first couple of rounds of the NFL Draft,” McElroy said. “He’s 6-8, 300 pounds, quick as a cat, athletic and he plays with an attitude. Oregon’s going to love him.”

Choosing the Ducks

Kyle Long's play soon drew suitors. Long, rated a three-star recruit by Rivals.com, received offers from Arkansas, Florida State, Tennessee and UCLA, to name a few.

Kyle Long and his parents, who also have a third son, Howard, 21, visited Oregon’s campus in December and came away impressed with the program, facilities and academic support system.

“It’s just a pretty remarkable place,” Kyle Long said.

Helped by a strong relationship with Oregon offensive line coach Steve Greatwood, Long committed to Oregon on Dec. 18. He will sign a letter of intent Wednesday and plans to enroll in the summer after completing his Associates Degree in the spring.

Oregon will lose two senior offensive linemen, including left tackle Darrion Weems. Long hopes to compete for that position. He has one year of eligibility remaining but is hoping to petition for a second.

“I feel like I can go right in and hopefully make a fairly seamless transition in that [spread-option] offense,” Long said. “We ran a similar style of offense at Saddleback.”

View full sizeAP PhotoFormer Los Angeles Raiders star and Hall of Famer Howie Long said he cares more about his son Kyle Long developing as a person than as an athlete.
Howie Long, an NFL studio analyst for Fox Sports, said his son’s athleticism makes him an ideal for operating in space. Oregon’s no-huddle, spread-option offense requires nimble linemen who can move quickly from play to play and do plenty of blocking in the open field, especially on screen plays, a staple of the offense.

"He's a great fit for what they do," Howie Long said.

If that fit translates into success, coupled with the Long's athletic genes, someday, maybe, Kyle Long and Chris Long could meet face-to-face on an NFL field.

Kyle Long said he has literally dreamed about such moments. But they were more like nightmares because, as he put it, his brother is a “machine” on the field.

“I think about that a lot,” Kyle Long said. “If I were be able to do that I think it would be an awesome day for both of us. But that’s so far fetched right now. Pie in the sky. I’m still in junior college.”

But not for long. He's set to soon play for the Ducks. And more importantly to his parents, he’s on the right path as a person, as well.

“He had to find himself and to his credit, on his own he got back on track,” Howie Long said. “And he had to take what I would consider to be a different path, maybe a more humbling path and that makes where he is right now all the more rewarding.”