2013 NFL Draft/Prospect Discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
ScotsRam said:
Watching the Alabama vs Georgia game. I watch very little college football but I want to know more about this RB #42 Lacy. Is he draft eligible this year? Reminds me of Steven Jackson. Also the Georgia LB #9 Ogletree looks fantastic. Any chance either of these guys end up in horns?
The Georgia LB that's going to be a superstar is Jarvis Jones. That guy can play. If the Rams get lucky enough to draft him that will help set up our front seven for years to come.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
brokeu91 said:
ScotsRam said:
Watching the Alabama vs Georgia game. I watch very little college football but I want to know more about this RB #42 Lacy. Is he draft eligible this year? Reminds me of Steven Jackson. Also the Georgia LB #9 Ogletree looks fantastic. Any chance either of these guys end up in horns?
The Georgia LB that's going to be a superstar is Jarvis Jones. That guy can play. If the Rams get lucky enough to draft him that will help set up our front seven for years to come.

What position is Barrett Jones? Seen him blocking all over the place

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
ScotsRam said:
brokeu91 said:
ScotsRam said:

What position is Barrett Jones? Seen him blocking all over the place
I think he started as a tackle, but has been playing guard and center this year. He'll also be a first rounder.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Just from watching this game, lacy and jones are going to be good players at the next level

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
That game was brilliant.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Yup Barrett Jones. Dude I wanted since LAST year. He dominates every posistion he lines up. I really hope the Rams draft him.

Eddie Lacy isn't going to be drafted if SJack stays. I want to see him in Pittsburgh...behind a good run blocking OL. Hello.

Jarvis Jones I'll admit didn't know much until last night, but apparently he's a star pass rusher i.e. Von Miller but can be run at....

Either way...that was a good game.

OUSamFan

UDFA
If he makes it to the Ram's pick in the second round, OU's Lane Johnson is worth a look. he held off some of the best defensive ends in college as a fairly new offensive tackle. 3 years ago he was a jr. college QB. OU shifted him to tight End, where he kept eating and growing. The moved him to defensive end, and then to OT, where this year he played LT. He is 6'6" 305lb., and may still be growing. He runs a 4.7 40. Has a lot of athleticism, and will continue to grow in the position.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
OUSamFan said:
If he makes it to the Ram's pick in the second round, OU's Lane Johnson is worth a look. he held off some of the best defensive ends in college as a fairly new offensive tackle. 3 years ago he was a jr. college QB. OU shifted him to tight End, where he kept eating and growing. The moved him to defensive end, and then to OT, where this year he played LT. He is 6'6" 305lb., and may still be growing. He runs a 4.7 40. Has a lot of athleticism, and will continue to grow in the position.
Sounds like a late round project...right up Boudreau's alley. Might be nice to take a chance on him and see if we can develop him.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
mid-round prospects

A couple guys I'd really like the Rams to target are:
Bacarri Rambo...could start at safety immediately and have an impact (and his name kicks ass too).
Denard Robinson...he could be a KR/PR and gadget WR.

Thoughts?

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Re: mid-round prospects

Sum1BTRthnU said:
A couple guys I'd really like the Rams to target are:
Bacarri Rambo...could start at safety immediately and have an impact (and his name kicks ass too).
Denard Robinson...he could be a KR/PR and gadget WR.

Thoughts?

Hahahaha my brother last Sunday. "If we get that Rambo kid you better get me a fucking jersey. I'll wear a red bandanna every game with face paint." :nono: :sly:

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Cal junior wide receiver Keenan Allen made the announcement Wednesday most had been expecting -- he's foregoing his senior season to enter the 2013 NFL Draft.

"I have always dreamed of having an opportunity to play in the NFL, and my time at Cal has helped me get to the point in my career where I believe I am ready to take that next step," Allen said in a statement released through the university. "I am thankful for my experience at Cal and am excited about what the future holds."
The future is expected to hold a first round selection if the 6-3, 210 pound Allen can assure scouts that he is over the left knee injury which sidelined him for the final three games of the 2012 season.

Despite the injury, Allen ranks as NFLDraftScout.com's top wide receiver for the 2013 draft and leaves atop Cal's record books with 205 career receptions. He finished his career with 2,570 career receiving yards and 17 touchdown receptions. Allen had 61 catches for 737 yards and six touchdowns in nine games this season for the Golden Bears despite being the focus of every opponents' defensive alignment.

An extremely highly regarded prep prospect who was recruited by Nick Saban to Alabama to play safety, Allen elected to make a late switch to Cal to play with his half-brother, quarterback Zach Maynard, who had transferred to Berkeley after initially playing at the University of Buffalo.

While a highly productive player against quality competition, Allen does not boast the elite size-speed combination that has led A.J. Green, Julio Jones and Justin Blackmon to earn a top 10 selection in recent years. Allen is athletic and capable of turning short catches into long gains due to his agility, balance and vision but does not possess elite acceleration. Allen's size, physicality and relatively precise route-running should help him emerge as a legitimate No. 1 wideout in the NFL, especially in a timing-based West Coast Offense that caters to his strengths.

wolfman84

Rookie
With the continued development of Givens, the potential development of Quick, and assuming we resign Amendola, how high does another WR fall on your wish list?
If we were drafting in the 18 and 19 spot range, how would this type of draft do you?

1a. Alec Ogletree LB GA
1b Tyler Eifert TE ND
2 Logan Ryan CB Rutg
3 Shawn Williams S GA
4 Kyle Long OT OR
5 Markus Wheaton WR Or St
6 Mike Beauharnais LB Rutg
7 Reid Fragel OT Oh St

Do you find it too D heavy? Or do you think we need an OT or another WR earlier? I find it interesting that Jake Long may become an unrestricted FA demanding around $15m a year after a subpar season coming off an injury. I don't know if we would want to bypass the talent available in the first round for an ROT that may or may not pan out. What do you gentlemen think?

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I've been reading much draft boards and scouting reports the last few weeks and from that stand point the realized need picks that are always the topic have us going Warmack G and or Lewan OT with one pick and Reid or Vaccaro both S's with the other.

But I'll say it now.......If he falls, Sheldon Richardson will be one of the picks. Wanna make this D special? I got one word for you... Penetration.

It's not always about sexy picks, it's about winning games. Push that pocket on any down and Long and Quinn eat QB buffet for 3 hours every Sunday.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yamahopper said:
I've been reading much draft boards and scouting reports the last few weeks and from that stand point the realized need picks that are always the topic have us going Warmack G and or Lewan OT with one pick and Reid or Vaccaro both S's with the other.

But I'll say it now.......If he falls, Sheldon Richardson will be one of the picks. Wanna make this D special? I got one word for you... Penetration.

It's not always about sexy picks, it's about winning games. Push that pocket on any down and Long and Quinn eat QB buffet for 3 hours every Sunday.

As a Mizzou fan, I would be screaming furiously at the TV if that pick happened. Richardson went the JUCO route because he couldn't get into Mizzou the first time and only got in after his sophomore year. He did precisely nothing in his first season there. He looked lazy, uninterested, and selfish; he completely gave up on plays when they weren't headed toward him. He was utterly manhandled in that Georgia game because he foolishly ran his mouth and trash-talked the other team. He was similarly manhandled by South Carolina, Alabama, and Texas A&M in the games we played them. He was also suspended for the second-to-last game - a game that we needed to win for a bowl game and lost, by the way - because he didn't bother to keep up with his studies and kept skipping classes. He also has an attitude that was horrible enough for Gary Pinkel to want him to go into the draft, just so that he didn't have to deal with him anymore.

He is the very definition of a one-year wonder, and he only played lights-out this year because he knew it was his only shot of getting into the first round. Even then, he let the whole fucking team down when we needed him most, he's selfish, disappears in the big games, and he's likely to quit on his NFL team once he gets a pay-day (i.e., after he gets drafted). Us Mizzou fans are glad he's gone, and I hope that Fisher wouldn't make the mistake of selecting this guy. I have no love lost for him, that's for sure.

I'm sorry for the rant, Yamahopper. I totally get what you're saying about a defensive penetrator at defensive tackle. I just can't ever get behind us taking Richardson after what he did to my program.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm still shouting for an OLB from last year's draft! Add a S, then think O side of ball with OT, TE, WR, RB. I think the perfect scenario is to get a FA WR ( Greg Jennings comes to mind) next year and target the WR Lee out of USC in 2014.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Ramhusker said:
I'm still shouting for an OLB from last year's draft! Add a S, then think O side of ball with OT, TE, WR, RB. I think the perfect scenario is to get a FA WR ( Greg Jennings comes to mind) next year and target the WR Lee out of USC in 2014.

Marqise Lee? Yeah, he's going to be a great one. I wouldn't mind at all if we selected him. Totally agree with you on getting an outside linebacker (maybe another for developmental purposes) and a safety. The more I hear Jairus Byrd's (Bills free safety) name pop up, the more I want him on our team. He's a native St. Louisan, so I believe we've got a pretty good shot at him. Would love to get Jennings, but I think he's out of our price range. Definitely agree on OT, TE, WR, and RB.

In other news, I hear that Marcus Lattimore had successful surgery and is entering the draft. Would any of you guys mind spending a third or fourth round pick on him? I know he's injury-prone, but the kid is so damn talented, and I've got to give him major props for being able to recover from two devastating injuries.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Memento said:
Yamahopper said:

As a Mizzou fan, I would be screaming furiously at the TV if that pick happened. Richardson went the JUCO route because he couldn't get into Mizzou the first time and only got in after his sophomore year. He did precisely nothing in his first season there. He looked lazy, uninterested, and selfish; he completely gave up on plays when they weren't headed toward him. He was utterly manhandled in that Georgia game because he foolishly ran his mouth and trash-talked the other team. He was similarly manhandled by South Carolina, Alabama, and Texas A&M in the games we played them. He was also suspended for the second-to-last game - a game that we needed to win for a bowl game and lost, by the way - because he didn't bother to keep up with his studies and kept skipping classes. He also has an attitude that was horrible enough for Gary Pinkel to want him to go into the draft, just so that he didn't have to deal with him anymore.

He is the very definition of a one-year wonder, and he only played lights-out this year because he knew it was his only shot of getting into the first round. Even then, he let the whole freaking team down when we needed him most, he's selfish, disappears in the big games, and he's likely to quit on his NFL team once he gets a pay-day (i.e., after he gets drafted). Us Mizzou fans are glad he's gone, and I hope that Fisher wouldn't make the mistake of selecting this guy. I have no love lost for him, that's for sure.

I'm sorry for the rant, Yamahopper. I totally get what you're saying about a defensive penetrator at defensive tackle. I just can't ever get behind us taking Richardson after what he did to my program.

I agree 100% on what your saying about him, and it's true. He can be a dog.

But the 1st round is all about potential and talent. Hustle and football knowledge comes in about the 3rd round.
Coaches always think they can get 110% out of any player, and when or if they can do that with a player at this talent level they got something great. 1st round teams seek greatness. More times or not it fails.

Dog or not if he has a good combine he's going at 15 or less, great combine top ten.
I'm guessing the Rams want to compliment Brockers and the DE's. They want push. They might roll the dice to get it.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Yamahopper said:
Memento said:
Yamahopper said:

He is the very definition of a one-year wonder, and he only played lights-out this year because he knew it was his only shot of getting into the first round. Even then, he let the whole freaking team down when we needed him most, he's selfish, disappears in the big games, and he's likely to quit on his NFL team once he gets a pay-day (i.e., after he gets drafted). Us Mizzou fans are glad he's gone, and I hope that Fisher wouldn't make the mistake of selecting this guy. I have no love lost for him, that's for sure.

I agree 100% on what your saying about him, and it's true. He can be a dog.

But the 1st round is all about potential and talent. Hustle and football knowledge comes in about the 3rd round.
Coaches always think they can get 110% out of any player, and when or if they can do that with a player at this talent level they got something great. 1st round teams seek greatness. More times or not it fails.

Dog or not if he has a good combine he's going at 15 or less, great combine top ten.
I'm guessing the Rams want to compliment Brockers and the DE's. They want push. They might roll the dice to get it.

I get that, and I agree with almost everything you're saying. My problem is taking a player who is a selfish head-case at best and a selfish, apathetic head-case at worst. You can teach skill to an extent. You help make players more consistent. You can even get guys with major character issues to play for you, provided they grow up a lot. But you can't make someone work for you when they don't want to do that. The fact that Richardson only did this in one year scares me even more; one-year wonders with character and motivation issues are the types of players who are most likely to bust.

Other than that, though, I couldn't agree more.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Honestly the more I think about it, and I almost feel bad doing so, the more I'm thinking about Tavon Austin from West Virginia.

He's a receiver, he's fast, he's a great punt return guy, and he plays running back. He would essentially make Pead unnecessary, because he can be a RB, but he's got the skills to play WR. He's listed officially as a WR, but he put up 344 yards playing RB in a game. Plus 146 return yards. He's not going to break any tackles, but he can juke a guy out of his shoes.

But again, drafting him would essentially replace Pead, so it's something I'm torn on, because we haven't really gotten a chance on Pead. But taking him would fill 3 spots. He can be a 3rd RB, be a return man, and WR. It's a tough decision.

I know there's a few other guys here who want him too.