1st Round | Pick 10, Rams select: RB Todd Gurley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Goose

GoosesGanders
Name
Goose
He was? Cause we just replaced him after 3/4s of a single year. After replacing the first guy after 3/4s of a year.

Not a replacement a compliment. Tre is good but Gurely has the talent to be great. You don't just pass that up for a questionable OT prospect that would play RT. Same o-line value will be in rd 2. If anything Gurely should force Tre to take his game to the next level.

Last edited:

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Why do you think that was?

Because they have a bunch of average players. Gurley is not average so this is a start. I know where you are going with this this and any pick at 10 would on the line would of been average at best, so I think I answered your potential follow up question too lol. :sneaky:

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Not a replacement a compliment. Tre is good but Gurely has the talent to be great. You don't just pass that up for a questionable OT prospect that would play RT. Same o-line value will be in rd 2.

You might when that great talent has a blown knee. And I don't think Peat and Flowers qualify as questionable. At least any more questionable than a blown knee. Either way go Rams it's in the books now.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
image.jpg
OH MY GOD PLEASE FUCK OFF. I'm so sick of this shit it's really, really frustrating and I'm gunna fucking knock someone out.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If we were to get Clemmings or Cann in the second they would be as good as any Olineman we could of got at 10. For what its worth, I think the Rams feel like Barksdale is coming back and Blaylock is still out there.

Unfortunately, that still doesn't do much for me... one is average (at best) and the other is old with an injury history. I've seen this movie and it doesn't end well.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
As Legatron4 said, I think I'd feel better if he wasn't seriously injured already.

That goes with out saying, but many RB's have had ACL injuries in college and been fine. Frank Gore had 2 in college and he has had a nice career. We have suffered through 4 sets of major knee injuries the last 2 years between Long and Bradford. I get why everyone is so concerned on the knee, I am as well. But and I say this with no factual information but if seems like more players return fine from ACL injuries than those who never play again. Also factor in that Gurley is 20, I start to feel better about it and less concerned about the injury. Fact is anyone can tear an ACL at anytime. You can rarely predict injuries and how they might happen.

Goose

GoosesGanders
Name
Goose
You might when that great talent has a blown knee. And I don't think Peat and Flowers qualify as questionable. At least any more questionable than a blown knee. Either way go Rams it's in the books now.

But when you can get a Jake Fisher, Clemmings, or a AJ Cann that have almost the exact same amount of talent in 2nd rd and a player with elite talent doesn't that make more sense that two 2nd tier prospects? You and I clearly differ on our Flowers and Peat opinions but I'd rather have Barksdale back then either one of those guys.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Because they have a bunch of average players. Gurley is not average so this is a start. I know where you are going with this this and any pick at 10 would on the line would of been average at best, so I think I answered your potential follow up question too lol. :sneaky:
Senator... we're not done yet... another follow up, if I may... :)

Remember when a very high percentage of Rams fans were ecstatic about Austin? Said he was "elite" talent? Media loved him?

So... what happened?

RamBill

Legend
The St. Louis Rams went offense in the first round and selected Georgia running back Todd Gurley with the 10th overall pick of the NFL draft. Gurley, who left Georgia after his junior season, fell later in the first round, due to a knee injury he suffered this past November. The 6-foot-1, 226-pound Gurley is the first running back taken in the first round since 2012. The Rams now have a full backfield with Gurley, second year running back Tre Mason and third year runner Zac Stacy. Fox 2 Sports reporter Charlie Marlow is in Chicago, site of the 2015 NFL Draft and talked it over with Todd Gurley, the Rams top draft pick in 2015.

Watch Fox2 Report

Goose

GoosesGanders
Name
Goose
That wasn't directed at you. We just happened to post at the same time lol Its frustrating to see us neglect the same problems year after year. The things they're doing haven't worked yet. Maybe I would feel better if Gurley didn't shred his knee 8 months ago.

Leg no worries. I can see your frustrated. I understand it too but the o-line talent in this draft just isn't there in the first after Schreff. Though I liked Lake a lot and apparently so did DET.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Unfortunately, that still doesn't do much for me... one is average (at best) and the other is old with an injury history. I've seen this movie and it doesn't end well.

What do you suggest in the short term then? You are not going to draft a guy that is better than Barksdale next year. I can say with little doubt that the Rams will draft an offensive lineman in the next 3 rounds.

Personally I would draft Cann or Clemmings in the 2nd and depth in the 4th. Hope Robinson can improve, keep Saffold on the right and sign Barksdale.

LT Robinson
LG Cann
C Rhaney, Jones, Barnes
RG Saffold
RT Barksdale

Let Gurley run behind Robinson and Cann. Whoever loses out at C provides some depth at G. Reynolds is your back up at T and maybe you draft another guy in the 4th to provide additional depth and competition.

Its not perfect, but its the start of the solution. Everyone wants the line to be fixed overnight but what are the solutions? We can complain but realistically its going to take more that a wave of a magic wand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OK... so, when the pick came down, I was NOT happy.

I'm not as "not happy" as I was last night, but I still am not a fan of this pick (just read the link I posted above and it outlines some of my concerns. I think they're valid).

It gets tiring to me to hear Jeff Fisher say this line:
"well, we're confident he'll come back from the ACL injury. We're not going to rush him. He'll be fine. We have total confidence in his ability to excel at this level "

Color me still concerned about the Oline, but I'll wait to see how that all turns out.

We'll have a real good idea about this by the end of November... at the latest.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What do you suggest in the short term then? You are not going to draft a guy that is better than Barksdale next year. I can say with little doubt that the Rams will draft an offensive lineman in the next 3 rounds.

Personally I would draft Cann or Clemmings in the 2nd and depth in the 4th. Hope Robinson can improve, keep Saffold on the right and sign Barksdale.

LT Robinson
LG Cann
C Rhaney, Jones, Barnes
RG Saffold
RT Barksdale

Let Gurley run behind Robinson and Cann. Whoever loses out at C provides some depth at G. Reynolds is your back up at T and maybe you draft another guy in the 4th to provide additional depth and competition.

Its not perfect, but its the start of the solution. Everyone wants the line to be fixed overnight but what are the solutions? We can complain but realistically its going to take more that a wave of a magic wand.
I'm not sure, but I think you made my point?

Expecting this kid to excel behind a line that consists of:
LT Robinson - still green
LG Cann - rookie (very green)
C Rhaney, Jones, Barnes - no experience, green
RG Saffold - Yea! But has an injury history (and off season surgery, I think)
RT Barksdale - average, at best

You're right, no magic wands there... but my hope is some trades and cap casualties... that's the only way this picture might change dramatically for the better.

As always, JMO.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Senator... we're not done yet... another follow up, if I may... :)

Remember when a very high percentage of Rams fans were ecstatic about Austin? Said he was "elite" talent? Media loved him?

So... what happened?

Governor....I was not one of those people lol. I hated that pick lol.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
But when you can get a Jake Fisher, Clemmings, or a AJ Cann that have almost the exact same amount of talent in 2nd rd and a player with elite talent doesn't that make more sense that two 2nd tier prospects? You and I clearly differ on our Flowers and Peat opinions but I'd rather have Barksdale back then either one of those guys.

It isn't just you and I that differ about Peat. Since he was taken right after our pick and those other guys are in the 2nd round. He's not been compared to Levi Brown, from the reports I've seen it's more Ferguson, more athletic than Brown. Those 2nd round guys are good too. That's why I would have drafted one of them in the 2nd as well. A lot of this stems from the fact that I like Robinson better as a guard than a tackle. And of course the knee.

Flowers I admit I don't know much about. I really wanted Peat or Schiff.

Moostache

Rookie
I thought about why the knee with Gurley concerns me so much as I was driving this morning. At first I think my reaction was related to Bradford's disastrous "return" last fall, or maybe even a little due to Jake Long...but after thinking about it more it was really neither one of them. It was Derrick Rose.

Rose blew out his ACL in 2012, missed one entire season because of it, came back and suffered another knee injury (not ACL) and missed most of ANOTHER season and came back this year to suffer a third knee injury and although he is back and playing, he has never approached his league MVP level of play again.

Of course none of that is a direct correlation to Gurley's situation, but it does me queasy when I hear people already speculating about him being ready for training camp which would be less than 8 months after surgery. I hope that there is no pressure added to push him back too soon - everyone of course SAYS that won't happen, but say the Rams start off 2-4 again and Fisher's job is starting to be questioned loudly...does a less than 100% healed Gurley end up pushed into the line-up then?