1st Round | Pick 10, Rams select: RB Todd Gurley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So, let me ask you... you're clearly a draftnik... the teams picking ahead of the Rams... why didn't they see it that way?

They did.

The only team that made a dumb pick was NYG. There were 7 to 8 "blue chip" players in this class and they went all went in the first 8 picks (except Clemmings on my board). If Gurley was healthy, he would have been in that class. But he's not. So he fell outside of it.

RamBill

Legend
Snead: A Gift For Gurley to Be Sitting There at #10 --NFL Radio Interview
Les Snead, St. Louis Rams GM, joined The SiriusXM Blitz and talked about how they were always targeting Todd Gurley III, no issues with Gurley’s ACL, and we believe Todd can be a factor for us for a long time.

Listen to Snead Talk Gurley

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They did.

The only team that made a dumb pick was NYG. There were 7 to 8 "blue chip" players in this class and they went all went in the first 8 picks (except Clemmings on my board). If Gurley was healthy, he would have been in that class. But he's not. So he fell outside of it.
So, you said all the teams ahead of the Rams had him pegged at top 5.

None of them needed a RB, I guess is what it says when none of them took him?

(and, of course, no telling if the NYG pick was dumb at this point... all the teams "nailed it"!! :))

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Snead: A Gift For Gurley to Be Sitting There at #10 --NFL Radio Interview
Les Snead, St. Louis Rams GM, joined The SiriusXM Blitz and talked about how they were always targeting Todd Gurley III, no issues with Gurley’s ACL, and we believe Todd can be a factor for us for a long time.

Listen to Snead Talk Gurley

I heard in almost live (love that pause button).

He basically said it's the makeup of a Jeff Fisher team, run and stop the run. The Blitz guys pointed out that is the current makeup of the NFC West as a whole.

And I liked what Snead said...."it's (Gurley at #10) not about beating the Seattle Seahawks in week 1, it's about going forward for the future. I know some fans thought we'd be picking an OL in the first....and I'd be throwing up a smoke screen if I said we weren't looking in that direction but we have some players on the OL who were drafted last year and the year before that have improved during their time here."

Basically, I don't know if we know (fans) what we have as OL options with Barrett Jones, Washington and Rhaney. The more I read, hear and see, my satisfaction with the pick grows. Now go get at least 1 big ugly tonight. And another playmaker.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I heard in almost live (love that pause button).

He basically said it's the makeup of a Jeff Fisher team, run and stop the run. The Blitz guys pointed out that is the current makeup of the NFC West as a whole.

And I liked what Snead said...."it's (Gurley at #10) not about beating the Seattle Seahawks in week 1, it's about going forward for the future. I know some fans thought we'd be picking an OL in the first....and I'd be throwing up a smoke screen if I said we weren't looking in that direction but we have some players on the OL who were drafted last year and the year before that have improved during their time here."

Basically, I don't know if we know (fans) what we have as OL options with Barrett Jones, Washington and Rhaney. The more I read, hear and see, my satisfaction with the pick grows. Now go get at least 1 big ugly tonight. And another playmaker.
I've been reading those types of comments from Fisher and Snead for a bit now... I sure hope they are right!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So, you said all the teams ahead of the Rams had him pegged at top 5.

None of them needed a RB, I guess is what it says when none of them took him?

(and, of course, no telling if the NYG pick was dumb at this point... all the teams "nailed it"!! :))

No. I'm saying he was a top 5 talent. Not that all of them had him as a top 5 player on their board. Talent is only one part of the equation.

RamBill

Legend
Casserly/Baldinger: Gurley = Biggest Steal of the 1st Round?

NFL Media’s Brian Baldinger and Charley Casserly analyze St. Louis Rams running back Todd Gurley’s skill-set and explain why he was the biggest steal of the first round. Casserly thinks Gurley is the best player in the entire draft.

Watch Baldinger/Casserly Talk Gurley

PARAM

Hall of Fame
@Rmfnlt

It does seem a little strange that they've been saying all along, they are confident about the OL. What that exactly means I don't know. Is it the young talent we haven't seen on the field is actually pretty good? They haven't signed any OL free agents; they didn't thrill the Barksdale camp with an offer he couldn't refuse; they didn't go OL at #10. Maybe it's just they're confident they'll score at least 1 free agent OL, 1 drafted OL and together with the group they have it'll be a solid OL. Maybe, maybe not.

A55VA6

Legend
I think it would be cool for Gurley to wear 29.. I think Dickerson would let him.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Its almost another Aaron Donald situation I think (and hope). The guy unexpectedly dropped into your lap and you cant pass him up.

We're picking talent over need and that means we're going to end up with some serious talent on this team.

RamBill

Legend
Eleven NFL Experts React to the Rams’ Todd Gurley Draft Pick
From 101ESPN

http://www.101sports.com/2015/05/01/eleven-nfl-experts-react-to-the-rams-todd-gurley-draft-pick/

The Rams seemingly shocked the entire Internet with their No. 10 pick of Todd Gurley in the first round of the 2015 NFL Draft.

St. Louis has holes aplenty to fill on the offensive line, and fans and experts seemed convinced GM Les Snead and coach Jeff Fisher would start plugging those gaps in the first round, as a means of protecting their investment in newly-acquired quarterback Nick Foles.

Nope.

The selection was anything but predictable.

The Rams snagged Georgia running back Todd Gurley, prompting passionate and shocked reactions from NFL analysts.

A few insiders have already pegged Gurley as the NFL’s top newbie in 2015:

Mike Greenberg – ESPN

I love the pick. If the knee is alright, Todd Gurley is going to be the offensive rookie of the year. (via Twitter)

John Gruden – ESPN

Think about the identity of a Jeff Fisher football team. Run the football, play good defense. That will help Nick Foles, that will help this offensive line if they can have some success running the football. I love this pick. You can feature (Gurley) every Sunday.

Peter King – Sports Illustrated

I just love the pick and the value of Todd Gurley at 10 to the Rams. Yes, the value. He will outperform his contract by a lot. (via Twitter)

Steven Gurwell – Bleacher Report

Fisher is set on building an unstoppable rushing offense, and Gurely has the potential to make that happen. (Source)

Bruce Feldman – Fox Sports

Like the pick. Awesome talent. If healthy, I think he has a very good shot to be Rookie of the Year. (via Twitter)

Experts are quick to point out that Gurley comes with his share of risk. The former Georgia running back is coming off an ACL tear, with an uncertain timeline for recovery. The consensus seems to be that Gurley is worth the risk, though, with some comparing him to one of the premiere backs the game has known.

Nick Wagoner – ESPN

Coming off a knee injury, Gurley doesn’t come without his share of risk but the Rams believe he’s the best back to come out of the draft since Adrian Peterson. If Gurley lives up to that lofty comparison, he’s worth it. (Source)

Frank Schwab – Yahoo Sports

Gurley should be productive as soon as he’s healthy. Stacy was as a rookie. Mason was as a rookie. And Gurley is clearly more talented than either. He might be the best running back prospect since Adrian Peterson. (Source)

Eric Adelson – Yahoo Sports

Skeptics can say Gurley’s injured knee makes him damaged goods, but no one can argue how good the goods are…Put him on the turf, in St. Louis’ domed stadium, and there is potential for Gurley to be the best player chosen in any round this year. (Source)

Chris Chase – USA Today

Why wouldn’t you want Gurley now, when he’s on his first contract and, thus, subject to a salary limit, rather than his second contract where he can make untold millions? Give me the fresh legs and capped salary every day. (Source)

Of course, there are always the voices of dissent.

Pete Prisco – CBS Sports

Jeff Fisher wants a running back. Shocking. It’s 2015. That’s a luxury pick. Gurley is good, but are the Rams at the point they can afford that luxury? (via Twitter)

Mark Maske – Washington Post

Too soon to take him? Maybe. The recent history of the draft makes it clear that you don’t need to use a first-rounder, and especially a high first-rounder, to get a dynamic runner. (Source)

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay

I'm just gonna leave this here .... It may feel like you are watching a highlight reel - but this is the whole game.