1st Round | Pick 10, Rams select: RB Todd Gurley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Britt Mchenry (yes, that one) just reported on ESPN that Fish and Snead told her ahead of draft that they'd take him at 10 if he was there. Anyone else see this?

was this when she was the pig on a spit?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Reasons I like the pick

1. Good player
2. Everyone I really wanted was already gone
3. We didn't do anything stupid like trade up.

Reasons I don't

1. Running back hasn't been the offensive problem for ten years.
2. He's injured.
3. He's going to put another good player on the bench when we have positions that aren't staffed with good players. Or staffed at all.
Agree with your likes. Don't agree with #1 of your don'ts. I loved me some SJ but he was fading his last couple years here and I don't honestly think I can look at any of our RBs pre-Gurley and see a consistent, feed him the ball, RB. I like Mason but can't see him as an every down back. I had High hopes for Benny but he's just not a RB you can rely on to be THE guy. Zac perplexes me. He seemed to really have great balance and was hard to just bring down. But he seemed to both get nicked up every game and somehow also got into the dog house or showed something the coaches didn't like.

I don't like the injury history but I do like that he is a THE guy type RB. Let's hope for a quick recovery as a young kid should.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
The one thing nobody has talked about is his blocking. They don't show those in highlight vids.
Any input?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
C'mon man!?!? Better than Faulk? No way. Not even close. Faulk was the most unstoppable weapon in NFL history between '99 and '01. He was the REAL MVP of all 3 years of the GSOT peak and without him, the GSOT never happens the way it came together.

I am a mess tonight...I actually find myself agreeing with Stephen A. Smith (which is a sure fire sign that you need fresh air)...

View: https://youtu.be/4S5YAvM1_y8?t=233

Gurley pick is something I hope like hell I am totally wrong about, I hope he sets the world on fire, but he tore the ACL in NOVEMBER, despite the fantasy in the post-Adrian Petersen surgery, he won't be able to play at peak ability until 2016 IF HE HEALS 100%. Watching Bradford and Long both go down to reinjured ACLs BEFORE the 1 year mark in their "recoveries" apparently was not enough visual evidence to dissuade Snisher from the luxury pick mentality.

I'm still upset that I agree with Stephen A. about something...LOL!

Well, I'm sorry, I misspoke and that's on me. I meant drafted to wear horns which is why I left out Marshal Faulk. Even if I include Marshal, that doesn't really help since Gurley is a big back and this Ram team will be much closer to the ED/Jim Everett Rams than the GSOT.

62ramsfan

UDFA
Was that actually said? Blount is a talented guy but the things holding him back are his lack of burst (needs to get up to speed before he can really use his power and he takes time to build up to speed), his complete inability to contribute to the passing game (poor pass catcher and disinterested blocker), and his fumbling problem.

Gurley has none of those issues. He's just nothing like Blount. I also don't see Marshawn Lynch, though. Lynch has more wiggle and lateral agility. Like I said, the guy I see in Gurley is Edgerrin James. Big HB with burst and long speed that will run with power with a little bit of wiggle and outstanding hands in the passing game.

Yep, and would you believe that it was Marshall Faulk who said it? He called Bount a "talented back".

RamBill

Legend
Rams go for Gurley in first round
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_7c68acd0-2657-5621-99ee-23f7cf794191.html

From the RGIII trade, to moving up for Tavon Austin, to selecting Michael Sam, the Rams have been known for the unexpected on draft day from coach Jeff Fisher and general manager Les Snead.

In that regard, they were up to their old hijinks Thursday, delivering another big curveball by drafting injured Georgia running back Todd Gurley.

“His body of work speaks for itself,” Fisher said. “What he was able to do at the University of Georgia was very impressive. Clearly he was set back because of the injury, but the athletic ability, the strength, the explosion, the acceleration, the instincts that he has as a runner. And he’s also got great hands out of the backfield. He’s a complete back.”

Gurley is a one-cut and go runner, a combination of speed and power. Some have compared his running style to Steven Jackson. NFLDraftScout.com called him a cross between Seattle’s Marshawn Lynch and former Jacksonville star Fred Taylor.

“He’s special,” Fisher said. “I got a text from Eddie (George) five minutes after the pick was over saying ‘Congratulations. Great pick.’ But they’re different. Their running styles are different. When his career is said and done, he could be that guy, yes.”

George was the bell cow of Fisher’s backfields in Tennessee, helping the team reach Super Bowl XXXIV against the Rams after the 1999 season.

Fisher likes collecting running backs almost as much as he does defensive ends. The selection of Gurley at No. 10 overall makes it five running backs selected in four Fisher-Snead drafts, with Gurley joining Tre Mason, Zac Stacy, the now-departed Daryl Richardson and the highly-disappointing Isaiah Pead on the growing list of drafted running backs.

Gurley’s arrival gives the Rams seven running backs on their offseason roster, with Benny Cunningham, Trey Watts and Chase Reynolds joining Mason, Stacy, and Pead. Most likely the team will keep only five backs, so a couple of those guys will have to go at some point. (Reynolds, of course, is primarily a core special teams player.)

In choosing Gurley, the Rams passed on beefing up their offensive line, the team’s biggest need area entering the draft. Iowa guard/tackle Brandon Scherff went earlier than expected, to Washington at No. 5 overall. At No. 9, the New York Giants selected Miami (Fla.) offensive tackle Ereck Flowers.

That left the Rams staring at Stanford’s Andrus Peat, the best pure tackle prospect in the draft and a player who some scouts and analysts felt was the best left tackle prospect to come out in several years.

The Rams had Peat highly-rated, but even with holes on their line at tackle, guard and center — with only four O-linemen on the roster who had ever started an NFL game — they passed on Peat in favor of Gurley.

“We’ve got a good group up front,” Fisher insisted.

“We’ve drafted some (offensive linemen) in the past,” Snead said. “They did make this thing a three-day event. ... We’ve got to live through Friday and Saturday, so we’ll see if we can help improve that position. We’ll still let the board guide us. We’re well aware.”

Peat went three picks later to New Orleans at No. 13 overall.

Gurley was as surprised as the next guy to be selected by the Rams. To wit, when asked when he first thought being drafted by the Rams was a possibility, Gurley replied with a laugh: “Man, I didn’t. But I’m happy.”

Although the team had a formal interview with him at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis, he did not make a pre-draft visit here.

As such, Gurley is the first player among 10 first- and second-round selections taken by the team during the Fisher-Snead regime not to make a pre-draft visit to Rams Park.

Fisher said the team seriously started discussing Gurley only in the last week.

• Read: Bernie sounds off on the Rams' latest pick

Because of a left knee injury suffered last Nov. 15 against Auburn and subsequent surgery to repair a torn ACL, it’s uncertain when Gurley will be available to play. Neither Gurley, on a conference call, or Fisher would hazard a guess Thursday.

“We’re not gonna rush it,” Fisher said. “We may well be a little on the conservative side. But this is the running back of our future. It makes no sense to subject him to or put him in a bad situation sooner than we have to.”

The “running back of the future” reference was an interesting comment because with a 20-27-1 record in three seasons in St. Louis, Fisher almost certainly needs to win now.

“We’ve got outstanding backs on our roster,” Fisher said. “He’s gonna add to that group. When that happens, we don’t know. But he’s gonna be the running back of the future for a number of years.”

Gurley said he hasn’t been limited rehab-wise in the weight room, and has been doing some work on cuts and some controlled running. He said he’s been able to run full speed a couple of times.

“There’s no timetable, but everything is on schedule and I’m just looking forward to coming back,” Gurley said. “I’ve still got a lot of work to do though.”

At Georgia, the 6-1, 222-pound Gurley had 18 rushing games of 100 yards-plus. He scored 44 career touchdowns, which ranks second in school history behind Herschel Walker. But he never approached the 1,385 yards and 17 TDs he registered as a freshman because of injuries and suspension.

He missed three games in 2013 because of a sprained ankle, finishing with 989 yards. In 2014, he served a four-game suspension for accepting money for autographed memorabilia, and then in his first game back, suffered the season-ending knee injury against Auburn.

“It was very difficult, just not being able to play and having a good season,” Gurley said of the suspension.

Snead said: “He made a mistake. He got punished for it. He’s moving on.”

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Once Gurley breaks a few runs and forces defenses to adjust to him, that will open things up for Tavon Austin like crazy...

Play action-slant to Austin behind the LB who bit on the play action and then it's TA off to the races.

Just excited about this year.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Once Gurley breaks a few runs and forces defenses to adjust to him, that will open things up for Tavon Austin like crazy...

Play action-slant to Austin behind the LB who bit on the play action and then it's TA off to the races.

It'll help having a 6'5" QB as well that can spot Austin behind the LB haha.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Agree with your likes. Don't agree with #1 of your don'ts. I loved me some SJ but he was fading his last couple years here and I don't honestly think I can look at any of our RBs pre-Gurley and see a consistent, feed him the ball, RB. I like Mason but can't see him as an every down back. I had High hopes for Benny but he's just not a RB you can rely on to be THE guy. Zac perplexes me. He seemed to really have great balance and was hard to just bring down. But he seemed to both get nicked up every game and somehow also got into the dog house or showed something the coaches didn't like.

I don't like the injury history but I do like that he is a THE guy type RB. Let's hope for a quick recovery as a young kid should.

My question is with Mason and Stacy already on the roster, and young to boot, why do you need a feed him the ball every down back? You've got two guys already who can get 1000 behind even an average line. Seems like a luxury pick.
But, aside from Peat I don't see any other pick I'd be excited about that was available, so I'm not too broken up about it. I probably would have went Peat and started the season with him at LT and Greg at LG. I doubt that would have been popular here either, lol.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Had work tonight. I heard we drafted Gurley at #10 and i was a bit shocked, but after getting home and looking at how the top 9 went i think it's a great pick if you look strictly at talent and "impact" player.
Having said that, i don't know enough about his ACL injury or any injury history prior...I really don't like drafting players with medical red flags at all. I'd rather draft a guy with character issues to be honest, because kids can grow up...but damaged goods is damaged goods.

Hope he isn't rushed back too soon, and more importantly he can run like he did pre-ACL, otherwise this pick could kill this regime.
I'm very mixed on this pick.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
First Snisher pick where I haven't been ecstatic but I get it.

I have a fundamental belief to avoid RBs in the first but Gurley is obviously very special.

The durability is my hang-up though.
+1

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Ya know... Cleveland drafted Cam Erving and Pro Bowl C Alex Mack only has 1 year left on his contract.

I think it's far fetched, but the Rams could try and trade for Mack after the draft.

I think Fisher and Snead are looking FAR TOO SMUG about all these OL questions for them not to have a plan on lockdown.

So, I'll have to wait a bit before I panic about our OL situation.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
He may never be the great all around back that Faulk was. But who is.

But he is the best pure runner that the Rams have drafted since Dickerson. Better than Jackson and even Bettis.

Put a couple more run blockers in front of him then watch the points go up on the scoreboard.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Had work tonight. I heard we drafted Gurley at #10 and i was a bit shocked, but after getting home and looking at how the top 9 went i think it's a great pick if you look strictly at talent and "impact" player.
Having said that, i don't know enough about his ACL injury or any injury history prior...I really don't like drafting players with medical red flags at all. I'd rather draft a guy with character issues to be honest, because kids can grow up...but damaged goods is damaged goods.

Hope he isn't rushed back too soon, and more importantly he can run like he did pre-ACL, otherwise this pick could kill this regime.
I'm very mixed on this pick.

Report is that it was a very clean tear with little collateral damage. He cleared medical in Indy and told reporters that he's already working on cuts and he's already been able to run at full speed. So he's a healing speed demon, it seems.

Nickname him, Wolverine... What better name for a back going against Beast?

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Was that actually said? Blount is a talented guy but the things holding him back are his lack of burst (needs to get up to speed before he can really use his power and he takes time to build up to speed), his complete inability to contribute to the passing game (poor pass catcher and disinterested blocker), and his fumbling problem.

Gurley has none of those issues. He's just nothing like Blount. I also don't see Marshawn Lynch, though. Lynch has more wiggle and lateral agility. Like I said, the guy I see in Gurley is Edgerrin James. Big HB with burst and long speed that will run with power with a little bit of wiggle and outstanding hands in the passing game.

I was hoping for a more flattering comparison... like AP. If you're right, and he's an Edgerrin James clones... we over drafted. Or am I missing something?

jap

Legend

Exactly! Folks are focusing too much on the position and not enough on the value obtained!!!

Gurley has to get his knee back in gear, but imagine this: Gurley's presence in the backfield will consistently draw eight defenders on the box. Who's going to handle Tavon|Kenny|Sted|Quick one-on-one? With Tavon out wide, do defenders still bring eight in the box, or do drop extra defenders in the backfield to try & contain Tavon and risk Gurley making guys miss and racing for the endzone with our speedy receivers to block for him downfield?

Zac was difficult to tackle but was also relatively slow. Tre was faster and more explosive than Zac but not as stong. Gurley brings the speed, the strength, the quickness, the instincts---what's not to like?

Do we need blockers? Hell, yeah!!! However, early first round picks are for blue chippers, and we snared that in Gurley. Now Fish & Les gotta do what they have to do to get quality OL guys with six picks left. If we need to move up to get 1 or 2 OL studs, we may have to sacrifice some picks or players. I don't know where they are in their negotiations with Blalock and Joe Barksdale, but we know they have been keeping in touch. Tomorrow should be exciting.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Report is that it was a very clean tear with little collateral damage. He cleared medical in Indy and told reporters that he's already working on cuts and he's already been able to run at full speed. So he's a healing speed demon, it seems.

Nickname him, Wolverine... What better name for a back going against Beast?
Yeah thanks, i've spent the last hour at home watching pressers, reading about the injury and his history etc...
Sounds good, but like Fisher said i REALLY hope they don't force this kid into action too soon. There's no reason to make Gurley the workhorse in 2015 with Mason, Benny, Stacy and Watts already in the stable.

I also have some concern with the turf in the dome and post ACL's, but AP handled his comeback on turf so what do i know...