1st Round | Pick 10, Rams select: RB Todd Gurley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
For me the first round should be about drafting elite players, the irreplaceable ones (Quinn, Donald types) Gurley has arguably the greatest chance of anyone in the draft of being that guy. Reach for need later, but not the 1st.

That said we really need to draft OL, OL in the next 2 rounds or we're royally screwed.

paceram

Pro Bowler
Without massive upgrades to the OL this is as bad as Lawerence Phillips or Trung Candidate

I have to admit that I am not real excited about this pick (Hopefully, that will change soon!) but I am not sure you can really compare Gurley to Phillips or Canidate!

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
He may never be the great all around back that Faulk was. But who is.

But he is the best pure runner that the Rams have drafted since Dickerson. Better than Jackson and even Bettis.

Put a couple more run blockers in front of him then watch the points go up on the scoreboard.
I hope your right, and I hope he comes off the ACL injury as well as AP did!(y):cautious:

Goose

GoosesGanders
Name
Goose
I think most just about everyone covered it but just to pile on I loved the pick because it was clearly BPA at that point. This draft lacked elite talent. As you started to see players come off the board I had a feeling that was going to be the pick if we stayed there. The other possibility was to trade back and draft Lake which DET took. I was pissed about that hoping for him in round 2.

Gurely is a true three down feature back. The first truly complete back since AP. I like Tre but Gurely is more talented and if it translates then we will have a running machine that will be very difficult to stop. No team in the league has the potential combo that we have. Any o-line that we would have taken at 10 would have been equal to the talent in the 2nd round. I am not upset at all with the pick. I do expect o-line with the next 2 picks.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
All I'm saying is, this dude better be a top 3 running back in the NFL. I am so upset with this pick. I can literally envision him tearing his knee again in the pre season. We best be going Oline the rest of the draft. I don't care who the best guy available is. This regime has done a piss poor job at the managing the Oline. It has been awful every season. I would have picked Trae Waynes. He was staring us in the face and we didn't take him. I'm quickly losing faith in these guys and if we don't win at least 10 games next year Fisher needs to go.

Goose

GoosesGanders
Name
Goose
All I'm saying is, this dude better be a top 3 running back in the NFL. I am so upset with this pick. I can literally envision him tearing his knee again in the pre season. We best be going Oline the rest of the draft. I don't care who the best guy available is. This regime has done a pee pee poor job at the managing the Oline. It has been awful every season. I would have picked Trae Waynes. He was staring us in the face and we didn't take him. I'm quickly losing faith in these guys and if we don't win at least 10 games next year Fisher needs to go.

I understand that we need o-line help. I am not blind. We also need playmakers and gamebreakers. That is what this kid is. I think we need to just sit back and see where we are at the end of the year. Lots of people poo poo'd the Mason pick but that turned out to be a pretty good pick.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
Or is coming back to him. Seems to me that passing juggernaut known as the shecocks have been in the SB two years straight - no? The NFL is a passing league until you get into the playoffs. Granted we still have to get there but once you do, you have to run the ball and play great defense.
The Rams CAN run the ball, they have four maybe five counting Pead if he can come back very talented RB. Mason, Cunningham, Stacy, Watts.
And IF the OL was addressed they would be even better. Running the ball is a non issue with who they had.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I understand that we need o-line help. I am not blind. We also need playmakers and gamebreakers. That is what this kid is. I think we need to just sit back and see where we are at the end of the year. Lots of people poo poo'd the Mason pick but that turned out to be a pretty good pick.
That wasn't directed at you. We just happened to post at the same time lol Its frustrating to see us neglect the same problems year after year. The things they're doing haven't worked yet. Maybe I would feel better if Gurley didn't shred his knee 8 months ago.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Still plenty of draft left.

And Les Snead stated this as well with the issue of being the first round some panic because they did not address a need, but I'm sure the 2nd and third rounds picks will address the OL. As to QB I'm getting the feeling that at best you might see the Rams take a QB with their 4th round selection.

Also I get the feeling that Barksdale as well as Blalock are still very much in play.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
All I'm saying is, this dude better be a top 3 running back in the NFL. I am so upset with this pick. I can literally envision him tearing his knee again in the pre season. We best be going Oline the rest of the draft. I don't care who the best guy available is. This regime has done a pee pee poor job at the managing the Oline. It has been awful every season. I would have picked Trae Waynes. He was staring us in the face and we didn't take him. I'm quickly losing faith in these guys and if we don't win at least 10 games next year Fisher needs to go.

If we were to get Clemmings or Cann in the second they would be as good as any Olineman we could of got at 10. For what its worth, I think the Rams feel like Barksdale is coming back and Blaylock is still out there.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4

He was? Cause we just replaced him after 3/4s of a single year. After replacing the first guy after 3/4s of a year.

RamBill

Legend
The MMQB’s Peter King and Jenny Vrentas take a look at the big surprises to take place during the first ten picks of the 2015 NFL Draft. Todd Gurley to the Rams is the #4 surprise. Peter King says Gurely was the Rams #1 player on their board.

Watch King Talk Draft Surprises

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
If we were to get Clemmings or Cann in the second they would be as good as any Olineman we could of got at 10. For what its worth, I think the Rams feel like Barksdale is coming back and Blaylock is still out there.

As Legatron4 said, I think I'd feel better if he wasn't seriously injured already.

RamBill

Legend
Prisco and Rang Grade the Gurley Pick
With the tenth overall pick in the 2015 NFL Draft, the Rams selected Todd Gurley. Our Draft Grades Live crew fill you in. Rob Rang: If I’m a St.Louis Rams fan right now, I’m pretty excited. Pete Prisco give the pick a “C”. He thinks picking a RB at #10 is a luxury and wonders what O-line will he be running behind. Brady Quinn loves the pick.

Watch CBS Sports Gurley's Grade

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Many steps above on their board. Apparently he was the number one player on their board over Williams, Cooper, and White. Shows me a great deal about how stuck in the 1890s they really are.
I think it's fair to wonder about their talent evaluation if they truly ranked Gurley over those guys.

Of course, they're not going to say things that make the pick look less than stellar.

But we all know that those players mentioned were far above Gurley on the boards of every team.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Except for the fact that without the knee injury, he was inarguably a top 5 talent in this class. If they're not concerned about the knee, there's no reason why he couldn't be up there.
So, let me ask you... you're clearly a draftnik... the teams picking ahead of the Rams... why didn't they see it that way?