Zack Wilson as a backup

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I do wonder what we do if Maye is there at 19. Have seen rumblings that he may fall and I think some of that is due to the hype he received early on which was too much I thought then and now. But if he's on the board do we take him.

I think I would take him at 19. And I don't want QB for the record. But it's hard to argue against it given the importance of the role and how hard these guys are to find, as well as the fact that Stafford has hard miles. And I am of the mind that Stafford has a couple years left in him. But if a guy like Maye gets groupthinked into round 2 and we're sitting there in that bottom third of the first round, perhaps even after a slight trade down, and he's still there for us maybe it's destiny.

Park his ass on the roster on a redshirt and let him learn by watching a dog go about his business.
Maybe at 19 wouldn't be anything to sneeze at. The value there is great. With that said, highly doubt he falls that far, but would be crazy if he did.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Baker and Wentz showed stretches of good play. Wilson hasn't shown anything other than he sucks. Hell no, hard pass.
Not to mention we probably paid them less than what Wilson is scheduled to make next year.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think you're absolutely afraid of his legs, the clips above show him breaking contain a couple times. Are you afraid of his legs like Caleb Williams or Kyler Murray - no - but teams are tons afraid of Mahomes as a scrambler and he doesn't have the athleticism of many "running" QBs out there. Maye isn't Mahomes but he's got some scramble in him like Mahomes. And the guy can make every throw from the pocket and make plays when he does it. Things that Williams and Daniels have shown some issues doing.
Goff ran a pretty damn good 40 time. But he's not a primary threat to run the ball. Can he hurt you running it, sure. But generally speaking he's going to be looking to do damage in the air.

Maye to his credit is similar in that he is looking to hurt teams with his arm. Better perhaps as a raw runner but from a scheme perspective he's not going to get careful rushes in the NFL if he starts as a rook. Teams will come after him.

Daniels and QBs like him cause a different approach that makes things easier for them early on. Drawback is that later on they can struggle as they try to transition to winning from the pocket.

Now of course Daniels is a rare example of a QB who can run but also has the deep game throwing the ball, so he should be able to win from the pocket. Which is why he'll probably go very high.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Goff ran a pretty damn good 40 time. But he's not a primary threat to run the ball. Can he hurt you running it, sure. But generally speaking he's going to be looking to do damage in the air.
I'm not sure how you can watch the tape of Goff and Maye and compare their athleticism. Maybe cause they're both white? I really can't for the life of me see the similarity.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure how you can watch the tape of Goff and Maye and compare their athleticism. Maybe cause they're both white? I really can't for the life of me see the similarity.
It was just an example. He's a far better athlete than people realize. So is Maye. But you don't see it in his play other than some highlights because he doesn't look to run. His YPC is 4 yards dude. No NFL DC is going to shit his pants and go easy on him in order to ensure he contains him. But they will with Daniels because he looks to run when he can and will hurt you that route.

Anyway this is starting to feel like a Kupped conversation. So let's agree to disagree, cheers.

WestCoastRam

Legend
It was just an example. He's a far better athlete than people realize. So is Maye. But you don't see it in his play other than some highlights because he doesn't look to run. His YPC is 4 yards dude. No NFL DC is going to shit his pants and go easy on him in order to ensure he contains him. But they will with Daniels because he looks to run when he can and will hurt you that route.

Anyway this is starting to feel like a Kupped conversation. So let's agree to disagree, cheers.
Yeah, I think we do disagree. Definitely encourage you to watch some of his tape if you get a chance.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I think we do disagree. Definitely encourage you to watch some of his tape if you get a chance.
I have watched multiple games of his. I don't mind disagreeing. He won't be a big runner at the NFL level either and if he ends up being that then I'll gladly admit I'm wrong.

Oh and btw reading my first post you responded to I shouldn't have said he's not athletic. That wasn't a fair summation of his ability.

Last edited:

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think watching multiple games of Drake Maye is a great idea. People shouldn't just take our words for it.

ACC Network on youtube should have all of them up:

Here's UNC vs NC State. Certainly not one of Maye's finest games but he's got a wonderful 56 yard run to gander at around 9 minutes and change in the 3rd quarter.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHJ-G7X_gYo

They also have games from 2022 to check out too which is fun... because, one can truly get a sense of how athletic and dynamic a runner he is with his league leading rushes for 1st downs on 3rd/4th down for not just one but both 2022/23 seasons.

View: https://twitter.com/dpbrugler/status/1758532587872485394?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1758532587872485394%7Ctwgr%5E12e8b517732a5f755cb17418615f3b2cee49c6a3%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.the33rdteam.com%2Fcaleb-williams-vs-drake-maye-who-is-this-years-top-quarterback%2F

I think watching multiple games of his is fun cause you get to see him not just break contain time after time after time but also doing damage on designed runs: zone reads, draws, sneaks.

But don't just think I'm a Maye proselytizer. I mean, why won't this kid go first overall then? Did I mention he can make every throw from the pocket and on the move?

I do think there are very legit concerns about Maye's decision making with the ball that may not just be explained away by losing his best target last year (Downs) and not really having anything left in the cupboard to replace him. His accuracy can get spotty, you hope that can just get cleaned up with his footwork. He could have better touch on short throws.

He's my QB 2 and he's an absolute blast to watch.

Last edited:

MrOrange

UDFA
My fiance is a Jets fans so I have seen a decent amount of Mr. Wilson. I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on the guy. He has a nice arm and he can run, and as someone else pointed out earlier, he has not been set up to succeed. Atrocious O line play, only one good receiver, and Hackett is clueless as an OC. Thought he looked pretty much like a mess last year, until Tim Boyle and Trevor Siemian came in and looked WAY worse than Zack did.

If we can get him cheap, I'd be interested to see if McVay can work his magic on the kid and see if there's anything salvageable there. Again, his tools are nice.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So is Maye. But you don't see it in his play other than some highlights because he doesn't look to run. His YPC is 4 yards dude.
You cant go by YPC in college, they count sacks as rushes so the YPC gets all out of whack, Caleb Williams YPC for USC was only 2.5 but you can be rest assured teams are wary of his rush ability.
Funny though, I was a big fan of Maye going in to the season, and having watched most of his games this past year, I came away less impressed. Thought he forced a lot of passes, made some poor decisions at crucial times. To my eye, he sort of regressed, similar to Howell, though he has more physical attributes

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I liked Wilson a lot coming out. It seems that everyone coming out to the Jets has sucked. Hmmm.

I’d bring him in here in a low risk move.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I liked Wilson a lot coming out. It seems that everyone coming out to the Jets has sucked. Hmmm.

I’d bring him in here in a low risk move.
Zach Wilson (New York Jets)

Wilson’s GPA is N/A. During his time at the BYU Cougars QB, Wilson updated his LinkedIn with, “Would like to earn a finance degree,” however, it’s unclear if he achieved his bachelor’s after forgoing his senior season for the 2021 NFL Draft. His Wonderlic test score from the 2021 NFL Combine is N/A.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You cant go by YPC in college, they count sacks as rushes so the YPC gets all out of whack, Caleb Williams YPC for USC was only 2.5 but you can be rest assured teams are wary of his rush ability.
Funny though, I was a big fan of Maye going in to the season, and having watched most of his games this past year, I came away less impressed. Thought he forced a lot of passes, made some poor decisions at crucial times. To my eye, he sort of regressed, similar to Howell, though he has more physical attributes
Williams is definitely a guy who will get respect early on by rushers. Maye I just don't see it any more than average. His future if he succeeds in the NFL will be winning from the pocket.

Which is a good thing. Not big on running QBs. They have an advantage early on vs the pocket types but also tend to struggle more when they have to at some point start using that pocket more. Maye will succeed or fail on his arm.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I totally get this assessment after watching his games this year and would not be shocked if a team takes Daniel's over him (with a belief that he'll keep ascending).

I'd like to think some of Maye's decision making is correctable and he really didn't have much help at receiver this year.

Interviews with teams might be the deciding factor. How does Daniels look on the board, how does Maye? And I would absolutely grill Maye on why he threw some of those interceptions.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Seeing rumors re: Atlanta moving up for a QB. Hope that happens. Patriots might be about to receive a windfall for that third pick, though if I was them I'd stay there and take the QB.

But Atlanta is yet another team that makes me think we are about to see a big run on the QBs early in this draft. I expect the top three QBs to go off the board 1-2-3. So the Falcons if they don't move up are very likely to target Penix I would think. Seeing 4 QBs go off by the Atlanta pick would be incredible for the quality of our pick. Because then you have a mini-run of teams who might pull the trigger on Nix (Jets, Vikes, Broncos, Raiders, Saints).

pvtdragon39

Rookie
I like Wentz as backup, but as much as everyone, hes gonna be a starter somewhere. He is Not washed. It was the teams He was on. Which Brings me to Wilson as backup! He needs to leave the Jets. They are the Problem. He cannot learn because they switched 7 QBs in 2-3 seasons, yet he was still there. Clearly the QB is not your problem, but thats Aarons Problem now it seems.

*Yes he may be paid more, but he cut up the texans defense, and they are strong for the most part and he was Qb1
*We need a young QB who will learn behind stafford for a year or two. Not saying he is that guy, but he is still very young.
* One Question is would we have to give up a big amount for him, or something we dont care about?
*Do we have a decent shot at finding a decent starter in the draft this year? Im gonna say prob not because of the amount of need of other teams at QB, but never say never. We would prob give up less for him, than to move up and grab a QB.
*Oh but hes as jack-ass! Like the Rams/Mcvay havent delt with that before? We Probably revived 2Qb careers in back to back years just for them being on the team under mcvay. Oh and they are jackasses too!

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
We can do better than Wilson. I get bringing him if he comes at the cost of a minimum contract, but I wouldn't trade or pay him jack. He has sucked balls and blaming the organization alone doesn't excuse his shitty play in my eyes. I say let him go somewhere else so he can continue his bust legacy.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Jets won’t find a trade partner for Zach Wilson, without eating most of his 2024 compensation​

The Jets have given quarterback Zach Wilson permission to seek a trade. It is hardly a “seek and ye shall find” situation.

Unless the Jets will be picking up most of Wilson’s fully-guaranteed compensation package for 2024, the Jets will be stuck with him. They’ll have to eventually cut him or keep him — and pay him more than $5.4 million in 2024.

Their best-case scenario would be to release him and hope for the offset, if/when he signs a one-year minimum deal with another team.

Really, who would pay him $5.4 million for one year, based on what we’ve seen through three seasons? He’s at best a developmental option at this point, not someone to whom the backup job could be entrusted.

That doesn’t mean it’s over for Wilson. Maybe he’ll turn it around with a fresh start elsewhere. It just means that, currently, no one is going to absorb the final year of his rookie deal. Unless the Jets are willing to give someone else a draft pick to take on the full $5.4 million, no one is going touch that salary.

Wilson has a cap number of $11.1 million for 2025, thanks to the four-year, $35 million deal he signed as the second overall pick in the draft.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
demanding do it GIF