Zack Wilson as a backup

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

muggmeister

Rookie
I have a hard time thinking Nix goes in first but stranger things have happened at QB. Dude's got a lot of holes in his game.
And what are those holes? Was it his 78% completion rate? Was it his 2 losses to Washington when he went toe to toe with Penix only for his defense to fail him? Was it his 45-3 TD to interception ratio? Please explain the holes in his game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Also and btw Wilson has never been the QB type that I prefer nowadays. Which is to say a big balls MFer who stands in there like a fighter and waits out the deeper routes. He doesn't have that. But as long as he's cheap who gives a fuck. And he should be cheap if this were to happen.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
FWIW have any of you actually watched this kid play? Not highlights either, actually watched a game. I have watched many, more then 10 and IMHO, he is not good and I believe he is beyond repair. Have the Jets send him somewhere else because the last two guys that coached him in New York are now in Los Angeles because of him.
I think I have seen pretty much every snap that Wilson has ever taken, including pre-season.

Realize that's difficult to believe but the NFL is the only sport I watch; and I watch every game I can.

Since I live in Manhattan, we get every Jets and Giants game. Almost all my friends and family are fans of one or the other. I have Sunday Ticket to watch the Rams. I usually tape the Jets and Giants but I watch every play. So those three teams, I view every game.

Like most NYers, I have not been impressed with Wilson. However, I'm still not certain that he can't develop.

So much has worked against him. Just a couple examples ...
Greg Knapp was a highly regarded QB-coach who was hired to work with Wilson in his 2021 rookie season. Knapp was in a bicycling accident in Training Camp in 2021; and died from his injuries.
Wilson suffered an injury early in the first pre-season game of his second year, and was out for a month, losing an important period of time.
The Jets' O-Line for the past three years has been as bad as I have seen, along with a ton of injuries.
In my opinion, the Jets are a dysfunctional organization; and they have made numerous mistakes with Wilson.

To be clear, I am NOT a fan of Zach Wilson.
Last night I pointed-out that current Rams' coaches Mike LaFleur and Rob Calabrese coached Wilson in NY. LaFleur was his OC for two years; and Calabrese was his QB-coach for all three seasons.
If the Rams have an interest, I would imagine both have given McVay positive feedback.

Last edited:

Psycho_X

Legend
Some how this rumor just keeps getting brought up. I'll say the same thing I said before and that is I don't mind bringing him in for a close to vet minimum deal for training camp/practice squad tryout but I wouldn't trade anything for him.

WestCoastRam

Legend
And what are those holes? Was it his 78% completion rate? Was it his 2 losses to Washington when he went toe to toe with Penix only for his defense to fail him? Was it his 45-3 TD to interception ratio? Please explain the holes in his game.
Scary pocket awareness that I worry about when NFL guys are bearing down on him. Completion percentage inflated by throws at line of scrimmage or just beyond it. When throwing down the field, has good arm but accuracy is erratic. Would like to have seen him take more shots mid-field which is what you need to do in the NFL. Short QB, can he see to throw midfield. Looked like he always threw to his first read and not sure he can process defense at the NFL level. Did not show well at Senior Bowl.

But hey, maybe he doesn't have any holes and should be above Caleb Williams and Drake Maye.

Toe to toe with Penix... wait till you see what people say about him with the tape too.

Guys got stuff to like. Just not a 1st round QB. Needs to be brought along and if forced to start for a team, I think he'll be ruined.

oldnotdead

Legend
IMO before the bye last season, Penix was a perfect fit for McVay's offense.

After the bye when McVay changed to a more ball control offense with an emphasis on attacking the intermediate zone (which I love and have always favored) Nix became a fit. Penix is more like Stafford in that he has a gunslinger mentality. So confident of his arm talent he will often throw into tight coverage successfully. He's probably the best at reading coverages of all the QBs in this draft.

Nix is more structured in his approach and is less likely to go outside of the confines of the play design. He can definitely ad-lib if necessary or take advantage of blown coverage. Nix might drop out of the top 5 simply because he's a work in progress in some areas. He would definitely benefit from sitting a year and acclimating to the NFL while learning how to read coverages at the NFL level. Once he becomes proficient he's going to be very good with enough arm talent to threaten secondaries at all levels.

I think Seattle will pull out all the stops to take Penix and he will be a rookie starter. This is why the Rams must insure they aren't outgunned in the post Stafford years at the most important position. No matter what you think of Purdy he's a fine QB, and if Seattle takes Penix, who will the Ram's counter with? Hope they can find another re-tread?

There is no guarantee the Cards will stand pat at QB either. IMO they very easily could package Kyler and take a QB at the top of round one. Drake Maye is exactly what Gannon needs to run the offense he wants. Ewers is as well but he will stay one more year and enter a less crowded field in next year's draft.

I doubt that Snead will allow the Rams to be caught without a top QB when he's building for long term success. Nix or at the very least McCarthy is who the Rams can build that team around.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
No to Wilson.
If Sam Howell of the Commodes is released, I would pick him up as a backup if Wentz is signed somewhere else.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure the Eagles would agree to this. Why would they trade away their back up that they just drafted? If they would accept it, I'd offer it.
The Eagles only have 2 QB on the roster, Mariota only had a 1 year deal.
There's no way they trade McKee

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No to Wilson.
If Sam Howell of the Commodes is released, I would pick him up as a backup if Wentz is signed somewhere else.
One thing that occurs to me as I read your comment above... Wilson is not a QB2. He's a QB3 reclamation project.

Howell on the other hand I agree is a good QB2 candidate. But many teams will also think the same.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
He sucked on the J-E-T-S. Yeah I didn't like what I saw either. But...

...weren't many saying Baker and Wentz were done and they sucked?

- until they came to the Rams and looked good.

If Wentz wants to move on for more $$ and Wilf...uh...I mean Wilson is cheap and has potential to thrive in the McVay system I say go for it. But for a 3rd QB lets also grab a future starter. One who doesn't... um... partee?
Baker and Wentz showed stretches of good play. Wilson hasn't shown anything other than he sucks. Hell no, hard pass.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One thing that occurs to me as I read your comment above... Wilson is not a QB2. He's a QB3 reclamation project.

Howell on the other hand I agree is a good QB2 candidate. But many teams will also think the same.
No way they let go of Howell, he's cheap and provides the bridge QB if needed, and a cheap backup if they dont

muggmeister

Rookie
Scary pocket awareness that I worry about when NFL guys are bearing down on him. Completion percentage inflated by throws at line of scrimmage or just beyond it. When throwing down the field, has good arm but accuracy is erratic. Would like to have seen him take more shots mid-field which is what you need to do in the NFL. Short QB, can he see to throw midfield. Looked like he always threw to his first read and not sure he can process defense at the NFL level. Did not show well at Senior Bowl.

But hey, maybe he doesn't have any holes and should be above Caleb Williams and Drake Maye.

Toe to toe with Penix... wait till you see what people say about him with the tape too.

Guys got stuff to like. Just not a 1st round QB. Needs to be brought along and if forced to start for a team, I think he'll be ruined.
Thanks for the evaluation, you may be right. One thing though, when has any QB looked good at the Senior Bowl throwing to WRs they worked with for only 4 days?

WestCoastRam

Legend
Thanks for the evaluation, you may be right. One thing though, when has any QB looked good at the Senior Bowl throwing to WRs they worked with for only 4 days?
Sure man, I mean, the kids got a lot going for him. Don't get me wrong. Think if he goes to the right spot and sits, he'll have a chance at being a good starter but he's def got some things that, to me, keep him out of the 1st round. However, I would not be shocked if some team felt needy that they picked him up at the tail end of the 1st.

Jake Haener and Max Duggan,last year, I think had demonstrably better practices than Penix and Nix. And that scares me about those two. You make a good point about throwing to receivers they don't know in a new offensive system and I think it's easier for position players to shine but I think as highly touted as Penix and Nix were, everyone was fairly disappointed they weren't able to put together better practices. Both, I believe, were noted on multiple occasions to not look to throw over the middle of the field during drills.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do wonder what we do if Maye is there at 19. Have seen rumblings that he may fall and I think some of that is due to the hype he received early on which was too much I thought then and now. But if he's on the board do we take him.

I think I would take him at 19. And I don't want QB for the record. But it's hard to argue against it given the importance of the role and how hard these guys are to find, as well as the fact that Stafford has hard miles. And I am of the mind that Stafford has a couple years left in him. But if a guy like Maye gets groupthinked into round 2 and we're sitting there in that bottom third of the first round, perhaps even after a slight trade down, and he's still there for us maybe it's destiny.

Park his ass on the roster on a redshirt and let him learn by watching a dog go about his business.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I do wonder what we do if Maye is there at 19. Have seen rumblings that he may fall and I think some of that is due to the hype he received early on which was too much I thought then and now. But if he's on the board do we take him.

I think I would take him at 19. And I don't want QB for the record. But it's hard to argue against it given the importance of the role and how hard these guys are to find, as well as the fact that Stafford has hard miles. And I am of the mind that Stafford has a couple years left in him. But if a guy like Maye gets groupthinked into round 2 and we're sitting there in that bottom third of the first round, perhaps even after a slight trade down, and he's still there for us maybe it's destiny.

Park his ass on the roster on a redshirt and let him learn by watching a dog go about his business.
I can't imagine a scenario where that happens. But it would be so mind-blowingly stupid of almost every team before us that I would run the card up there from LA and die the death the kid from the battle of Marathon did.

Silly season on Maye and I'm sure we'll hear a ton about him not being up to snuff as a smoke screen.

That being said, Allbright mentioned Daniels going before him which blew my mind and he tends to have a read on stuff. Mostly.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can't imagine a scenario where that happens. But it would be so mind-blowingly stupid of almost every team before us that I would run the card up there from LA and die the death the kid from the battle of Marathon did.

Silly season on Maye and I'm sure we'll hear a ton about him not being up to snuff as a smoke screen.

That being said, Allbright mentioned Daniels going before him which blew my mind and he tends to have a read on stuff. Mostly.
Yeah I don't think it's likely to happen either. But... He did not live up to the overhype he received for two years. He is not athletic and a run threat. Doesn't matter that he isn't exactly surrounded by top quality either. Teams should look past that stuff but history shows that they get into groupthink modes with certain guys.

Hard to think any QB with even a questionable 1st round grade gets to us this year, after the way rookies changed team outlooks last season. Stroud got overnuked and taken behind a short game manager because he wasn't as likeable. Levis fell to round two even though there were reasons for the dip in his play because he's a fuckin weirdo. This sort of insinuates to me that teams won't be prone to doing that stuff this year but it's interesting to think about.

I genuinely wonder what they'll do. Would they trade down? I'd think this is more likely. Or say fuck it and take the QB. Ideally we'll see 6 QBs go off the board before 19. Caleb, Daniels, and Maye all seem likely to. McCarthy is rumored to be well loved for some reason up top. I think teams who pass on Penix will regret it, and that he'll be off the board by Seattle. That's 5. Then you have Nix & Pratt. Nix has the measurables and may be appreciated by all these WCO running bastids. Pratt had a good Senior Bowl week so I figure he's a round 2 guy with Rattler but maybe some team gets jumpy.

More QBs that go off that board the better. :thumbsup1:

WestCoastRam

Legend
Yeah I don't think it's likely to happen either. But... He did not live up to the overhype he received for two years. He is not athletic and a run threat. Doesn't matter that he isn't exactly surrounded by top quality either. Teams should look past that stuff but history shows that they get into groupthink modes with certain guys.

View: https://twitter.com/Nate_Tice/status/1740041939356115309?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1740044010474107086%7Ctwgr%5Ec1e0ce10f513f9c8f1c78f3ec2efeef8da34efbb%7Ctwcon%5Es2_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsports.yahoo.com%2F2024-nfl-mock-draft-why-drake-maye-is-the-man-for-chicago-while-the-top-10-is-a-run-on-offense-140027576.html

Really seems like a lot of people disagree with you on his lack of athleticism. Here's one.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yeah I should have been more clear. He's not a guy who looks to run. He can run but it's not like some of these guys who do it more instinctively. Why is that worth mentioning? Because in the NFL a QB who tends to run is more of a threat to break contain which affects how teams approach you on the rush.

If you draft Maye teams aren't going to be afraid of his legs. It's something they'll prepare for but it's not something he consistently hurts teams with.

I mean watch Daniels play. He had over 1k yards at 8.4 yards per. Maye averaged 4 yards. There is a difference, no matter how much some video nuking might appreciate his raw skills.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
If I were Chicago, I’d deal Fields to Atlanta (second round, most likely), and draft Maye. It’s ridiculous that they’re projecting him to fall, while McCarthy is a top ten pick.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Yeah I should have been more clear. He's not a guy who looks to run. He can run but it's not like some of these guys who do it more instinctively. Why is that worth mentioning? Because in the NFL a QB who tends to run is more of a threat to break contain which affects how teams approach you on the rush.

If you draft Maye teams aren't going to be afraid of his legs. It's something they'll prepare for but it's not something he consistently hurts teams with.

I mean watch Daniels play. He had over 1k yards at 8.4 yards per. Maye averaged 4 yards. There is a difference, no matter how much some video nuking might appreciate his raw skills.
I can't say I agree with you nor can I say most analysts do either. But hey, that's why there are message boards. While I think cut ups of video of players aren't perfect (they're curated obviously by the poster) but I think they're the second best piece of info to use to analyze a player (the best being watching full games). Encourage everyone who has an interest in knowing more about Maye to watch the clips I shared and come to their own conclusions.

I think you're absolutely afraid of his legs, the clips above show him breaking contain a couple times. Are you afraid of his legs like Caleb Williams or Kyler Murray - no - but teams are tons afraid of Mahomes as a scrambler and he doesn't have the athleticism of many "running" QBs out there. Maye isn't Mahomes but he's got some scramble in him like Mahomes. And the guy can make every throw from the pocket and make plays when he does it. Things that Williams and Daniels have shown some issues doing.

I like Daniels, he sure can run but he's stupid about it. That can be fixed. There are certainly many other things to like there too. Don't think he's better than Maye. Don't think he's close to him in overall package.

But again, I think Allbright has as many conversations with anyone about the draft and he's floating Daniels at 2 so I could be wrong.