Wyche: Rams getting Goff ready

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
. . . only if he actually produces. NFL DC's do not get scared until you start lighting up their exotic blitz packages and defensive schemes. They will try to blitz and confuse the heck out of Jared until he proves he is equal to the task of taking advantage of their blitzing and recognizing their fancy defensive schemes.
No doubt , they will go after him but his arm strength will be the difference. Hopefully we see soon

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
The panther are 1-5 coming into this weekends game against the Cards, after they have had a bye week. IF they get beat-up by Arizona, which is possible, when they come to L.A. they would be 1-7 and, I think, pretty Demoralized! And easier to handle! JMHO

Do you have any idea how many teams have "gotten well" at the Rams expense over the years? I dare say this team is noted for it....that and giving up 3rd and 19's. :baghead:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Do you have any idea how many teams have "gotten well" at the Rams expense over the years? I dare say this team is noted for it....that and giving up 3rd and 19's. :baghead:
Right now the Panthers are getting well at the Cards expense! So they come into L.A. over confident! Fisher is 11-8-1 Lifetime after the Bye! I don't agree with your comment above^!!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
They have everything to do with each other.
Only in the mind of people who want to make it an issue. They do not play for the same team, they did not come into the league with the same experience, they aren't even the same age. Zero Zip Nada nothing to do with each other

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Only in the mind of people who want to make it an issue. They do not play for the same team, they did not come into the league with the same experience, they aren't even the same age. Zero Zip Nada nothing to do with each other

Actually, it has everything to do with it. Because your argument is built upon the logic that those things show that Goff would not be an effective starting QB for us. Wentz directly disproves that notion. As do a number of other QBs over the past 5 or so years.

Simply put, pointing to the preseason as justification for why Goff is not being played is not persuasive in the least.

Last edited:

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Actually, it has everything to do with it. Because your argument is built upon the logic that those things show that Goff would not be an effective starting QB for us. Wentz directly disproves that notion. As do a number of other QB over the past 5 or so years.

Simply put, pointing to the preseason as justification for why Goff played is not persuasive in the least.
No one can persuade you we all know that.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
There’s no such thing as “too late” for a developing quarterback
This may be true if you are looking at the QB as an individual, but fans are more interested in the team. Trading so many picks for Goff already meant it was doubtful that the value for the team was going to be worth it even if Goff started from day 1. See http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/trading-up-for-a-first-round-quarterback-is-rarely-worth-the-cost/

Also, another big factor to team value is contract, both in terms of salary cap cost and player control. The Rams are getting nothing for Goff's $5m cap hit, it's basically dead money so far. More important is every game he sits reduces the max value the Rams can get from his initial contract. It is no guarantee that Goff will re-sign with the Rams, so the clock started at the certainty of five years and is only winding down.

So, yeah, is it the end of the world or does it mean he's a bust if Goff sits out? No, of course not. But every game sat just raises the bar of how good he needs to be when he finally does play for the Rams to realize value out of the trade & pick. Which comes full circle to the individual analysis, because setting such an impossibly high bar can't be great for Goff's development, either. Coming in day 1 expecting "not ready" rookie lumps seems to be a lot easier than when he comes in now with the expectation being he's "100% ready" to carry the franchise to the Super Bowl and himself to the Hall of Fame.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also, another big factor to team value is contract, both in terms of salary cap cost and player control. The Rams are getting nothing for Goff's $5m cap hit, it's basically dead money so far. More important is every game he sits reduces the max value the Rams can get from his initial contract. It is no guarantee that Goff will re-sign with the Rams, so the clock started at the certainty of five years and is only winding down.

So, yeah, is it the end of the world or does it mean he's a bust if Goff sits out? No, of course not. But every game sat just raises the bar of how good he needs to be when he finally does play for the Rams to realize value out of the trade & pick. Which comes full circle to the individual analysis, because setting such an impossibly high bar can't be great for Goff's development, either. Coming in day 1 expecting "not ready" rookie lumps seems to be a lot easier than when he comes in now with the expectation being he's "100% ready" to carry the franchise to the Super Bowl and himself to the Hall of Fame.

A $5 million cap hit is what you pay a good backup QB.

This may be true if you are looking at the QB as an individual, but fans are more interested in the team. Trading so many picks for Goff already meant it was doubtful that the value for the team was going to be worth it even if Goff started from day 1. See http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/trading-up-for-a-first-round-quarterback-is-rarely-worth-the-cost/

If Goff becomes a quality starting QB, he's worth the trade and more. The problem with trading picks for QBs wasn't that a QB wasn't worth it. It was that the team drafted the wrong QB. We didn't.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
A $5 million cap hit is what you pay a good backup QB.
Here's the QB salary cap hits for 2016: http://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2016/

Obviously a "good backup" is subjective, but the only backup QB I see making $5m is Chase Daniel? Although maybe I'm missing some guys that are categorized as backups v. starters or something. The math doesn't seem to add up to $5m being the going rate for a backup, "good" or not. I actually think Goff might be the highest cap hit backup (if he is even the backup versus Mannion, who knows with Fish).

If Goff becomes a quality starting QB, he's worth the trade and more. The problem with trading picks for QBs wasn't that a QB wasn't worth it. It was that the team drafted the wrong QB. We didn't.
The analysis concludes the opposite, that even when they hit the lottery on the right QB that ends up winning a Super Bowl -- such as Eli or Flacco -- it is still is the case where the value of all the picks sacrificed equals more than the one QB. Of course those QBs won a Super Bowl so it was a win for the organization.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I concur here and the pass blocking was not much better either, if Fisher does save his job, IMHO, he needs to hire a new offensive line coach. Look I thought Paul Boudreau was a good hire, but to this point the offensive line continues to not show growth and God knows the Rams have invested highly in that unit and it continues to be a disappointment.

I wonder about the scouting and GM. Finding good defenders has been no problem, but watching Green Bay/Atlanta today has me marvelling at how acrobatic their receivers are, making diving and great leaping catches regularly. And also noticing how much Atlanta's OLine has improved without Boudreau. Also Green Bay moves on from a guy like Sitton and doesn't skip a beat. Thompson finds linemen in mid to late rounds that end up being good. The Rams haven't drafted a good lineman since Incognito.

So, can Snead and the scouting department been that bad at evaluating offensive talent, or is the coaching that bad? I never liked the Boudreau hiring, he not only is coaching the line but he does pre draft evaluations. I think they have to start by moving on from Bou. PSU replaced their old school OLine coach in Herb Hand with a much younger, Matt Limegrover. The difference is night and day. A tackle, Brendan Mahoney, who looked bad at guard and center is now a tackle on the NFL's radar. The other guard was moved to Center and the difference as notable. Two red shirt freshman play guard and even the awful ORT from last year looks good. It's a total improvement across the board, all from one coach. Time to say bye-bye to Bou. And if that doesn't solve the issues then maybe find a better GM too.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Here's the QB salary cap hits for 2016: http://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/2016/

Obviously a "good backup" is subjective, but the only backup QB I see making $5m is Chase Daniel? Although maybe I'm missing some guys that are categorized as backups v. starters or something. The math doesn't seem to add up to $5m being the going rate for a backup, "good" or not. I actually think Goff might be the highest cap hit backup (if he is even the backup versus Mannion, who knows with Fish).

The analysis concludes the opposite, that even when they hit the lottery on the right QB that ends up winning a Super Bowl -- such as Eli or Flacco -- it is still is the case where the value of all the picks sacrificed equals more than the one QB. Of course those QBs won a Super Bowl so it was a win for the organization.
The Rams saw a QB they wanted. Everyone said that Goff wouldn't be there after the 9ers. To get the quarterback they wanted they had to pay that price. You can argue that they could have gotten Prescott or Lynch at 15, but that is not who they wanted. So they rolled the dice and paid the going price. If Goff is as good as Fisher and Snead think then it was worth it. Besides if analysis had to make these decisions with real chips in the pot, do you think they would have the same take.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
If you watch the past few games, defenses aren't always loading up the box against Gurley. They stopped doing that a while ago. You typically see it when we come out with our 12, 13, 22, and 23 personnel groupings on offense, but not so much in 10 and 11. Something else is going on that nobody can quite put their finger on. The plays aren't much different, there are only a couple of different players on the line, and it's the same RB. I think it's equal parts coaching and execution (by both the line and RB). I keep waiting for this nightmare to end and Gurley starts ripping defenses to shreds. I guess next weekend is as good a time as any.
I did notice that but they refuse to spread the field and run gurley . This offensive line needs to get it together they were opening huge holes last year and now they get pushed back every play.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I did notice that but they refuse to spread the field and run gurley .
I wouldn't say that. 33% of his carries are with 3 or more wide receivers on the field.