Wyche: Rams getting Goff ready

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-good-in-london-rams-getting-jared-goff-ready
LOS ANGELES RAMS: Goff getting ready to go. Rams coach Jeff Fisher has planned for a while to get rookie quarterback Jared Goff more reps during the Week 8 bye. Publicly, he's said that this was a great opportunity to get him more work for a day or two because starter Case Keenum has a handle on the offense and doesn't need the extra time.

However, after the Rams dropped three straight games, why wouldn't they give those reps back to Keenum and an offense that was not on the same page in a loss to the Giants in London? The answer: The Rams are getting Goff ready.

From everything that I have been told, Goff has made progress in terms of learning the offense. As for executing it? That is still unknown.

I've also been told by people with the Rams that they would have felt fine putting him on the field should Keenum have been injured. Of course, they really had no choice. If coaches were to opt for Sean Mannion instead of Goff to step in for Keenum, that would show they might have missed on Goff with the No. 1 overall pick -- at least in the short term.

Keenum absolutely is not the main reason that the Rams have fallen to 3-4. He is the most obviously replaceable part, though. If L.A. loses to Carolina in Week 9 to fall to 3-5, it will be time to make the switch.

Yes, the Rams play three of their next five on the road, but whatever the scenario, they have to get Goff going. If he struggles, will the team be that much worse? If he succeeds, it can be better.

-- Steve Wyche

Johnson could be back soon. Cornerback Trumaine Johnson has missed the past two games with a high ankle sprain. He might be back after the Week 8 bye. The franchise-tagged veteran was playing pretty well before he got hurt. He told me after a practice in London, before the Giants game, that he expected to be back "soon."

-- Steve Wyche

A video at the link as well.

Actually it doesn't really need it's own thread if a mod wants to move it into maybe the practice quotes thread. Think that's the most recent we were discussing him starting in.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Getting Johnson back would be huge. I know Hill played very well last week, but we need to get back to our top three on the field for this defense to run off the kind of three to four game stretch we need for a big win streak.

Ajb44

Rookie
Name
Alex
Getting Johnson back would be huge. I know Hill played very well last week, but we need to get back to our top three on the field for this defense to run off the kind of three to four game stretch we need for a big win streak.
Is brockers coming back too? We need everyone and we can be scary!

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
No doubt. And if Goff plays? Damn.

We've been in every game this season till the very end with Keenum. I feel good about going at least 7-2 the rest of the way.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No doubt. And if Goff plays? Damn.

We've been in every game this season till the very end with Keenum. I feel good about going at least 7-2 the rest of the way.

If Goff is ready and we stay healthy in key positions, yes I think that type of run is still possible.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Goff doesn't need to set the world on fire, just the presence of Goff's strong arm will give Gurley more room to operate.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Goff doesn't need to set the world on fire, just the presence of Goff's strong arm will give Gurley more room to operate.
If you watch the past few games, defenses aren't always loading up the box against Gurley. They stopped doing that a while ago. You typically see it when we come out with our 12, 13, 22, and 23 personnel groupings on offense, but not so much in 10 and 11. Something else is going on that nobody can quite put their finger on. The plays aren't much different, there are only a couple of different players on the line, and it's the same RB. I think it's equal parts coaching and execution (by both the line and RB). I keep waiting for this nightmare to end and Gurley starts ripping defenses to shreds. I guess next weekend is as good a time as any.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

I totally agree and in fact given the choice I would rather see Brockers back ASAP. He's missed badly up front. More than TJ is in the back I would say.

If you watch the past few games, defenses aren't always loading up the box against Gurley. They stopped doing that a while ago. You typically see it when we come out with our 12, 13, 22, and 23 personnel groupings on offense, but not so much in 10 and 11. Something else is going on that nobody can quite put their finger on. The plays aren't much different, there are only a couple of different players on the line, and it's the same RB. I think it's equal parts coaching and execution (by both the line and RB). I keep waiting for this nightmare to end and Gurley starts ripping defenses to shreds. I guess next weekend is as good a time as any.

The Panthers have a pretty stingy run defense so this isn't going to be an easy day for Gurley. I wish it was different though because maybe one big game would get him on track. Something needs to break here.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
With Goffs quick release and ability to put the ball anywhere he wants, teams will actually have to pick their poison, Gurley or Goff. Play action over the top to TA.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan

Been noticing that too. Not sure it has to do with scheme or the sophomore slump. I'm hoping Gurley's simply adjusting to the run blocking scheme because he's not hitting lanes patiently enough when they develop.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame

Seriously, man. what's going on with Gurley right now is mind boggling.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Been noticing that too. Not sure it has to do with scheme or the sophomore slump. I'm hoping Gurley's simply adjusting to the run blocking scheme because he's not hitting lanes patiently enough when they develop.

Gurley was hitting the lanes correctly against the Giants. The blocking simply sucked. I reviewed the All-22 of the game. There were two plays where it was arguable he made the wrong decision. I can't speak to previous games because I didn't review the blocking on the All-22. But I doubt it was that different.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And as disappointing as Gurley has been so far, he's still on pace to rush for 1,000 yards
I don't think they run him wide often enough

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Panthers have a pretty stingy run defense so this isn't going to be an easy day
The panther are 1-5 coming into this weekends game against the Cards, after they have had a bye week. IF they get beat-up by Arizona, which is possible, when they come to L.A. they would be 1-7 and, I think, pretty Demoralized! And easier to handle! JMHO

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And as disappointing as Gurley has been so far, he's still on pace to rush for 1,000 yards
I don't think they run him wide often enough
What this reminds me of is the embarrassing career of Matt Leinhart, but that first year of fail had this commercial...One where he was implanted into the Manning family because he would be like them

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0XBkup2-wo

Todd Gurley was the OROY last year, so he has more accomplishment that Leinhart ever did....But still, it's uncomfortable for me to see him mugging up in a commercial of today's stars, when his performance this year is so average...The more he doesn't achieve this year, makes his promotion a joke....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBjSM1QlCVs

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
Gurley was hitting the lanes correctly against the Giants. The blocking simply sucked. I reviewed the All-22 of the game. There were two plays where it was arguable he made the wrong decision. I can't speak to previous games because I didn't review the blocking on the All-22. But I doubt it was that different.

Jrry,have you noticed much in the way of zone blocking.Not that I have been focusing on it,but
I can't recall seeing any runs this year with anything but power blocking schemes.We ran quite a bit of
zone scheme last year

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bingo! I feel the same. It looks like he is hitting the hole too early and it collapses on him where last year he was more patient and would get a feel of where the path of least resistance is in the line and break through.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jrry,have you noticed much in the way of zone blocking.Not that I have been focusing on it,but
I can't recall seeing any runs this year with anything but power blocking schemes.We ran quite a bit of
zone scheme last year

Yes. We generally were zone blocking from what I saw.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The blocking simply sucked. I reviewed the All-22 of the game. There were two plays where it was arguable he made the wrong decision. I can't speak to previous games because I didn't review the blocking on the All-22. But I doubt it was that different.

I concur here and the pass blocking was not much better either, if Fisher does save his job, IMHO, he needs to hire a new offensive line coach. Look I thought Paul Boudreau was a good hire, but to this point the offensive line continues to not show growth and God knows the Rams have invested highly in that unit and it continues to be a disappointment.

fearsomefour

Legend
Gurley is average right now. I hate to say it, but right now he is a C back. The O line hasn't been great but when are there are holes he either misses them or goes down on first contact. I have been saying this for weeks knowin it would never happen....put in Malcolm Brown and there is the 4 YPC. Gurley is just not a physical runner right now. He lost weight in the offseason....almost always a bad thing when dealing with explosive athletes. Don't know what else is going on but that is part of his deal. Guys train like dummies a lot of the time.
This idea that Goff comin on the field means things open up for Gurley is a falacy. If a D is facing a rookie QB they are going to attack him, not lay back. A lot of blitzes and mixed coverages.....force him to make decisions quickly. The best way to set this up is not allow a running game. That box will be stacked until he proves he can beat teams/the blitz with the passing game. He will get no respect because he has earned none.