Wyche: Rams getting Goff ready

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
If you watch the past few games, defenses aren't always loading up the box against Gurley. They stopped doing that a while ago. You typically see it when we come out with our 12, 13, 22, and 23 personnel groupings on offense, but not so much in 10 and 11. Something else is going on that nobody can quite put their finger on. The plays aren't much different, there are only a couple of different players on the line, and it's the same RB. I think it's equal parts coaching and execution (by both the line and RB). I keep waiting for this nightmare to end and Gurley starts ripping defenses to shreds. I guess next weekend is as good a time as any.
I haven't seen this mentioned yet as far as Gurley goes but .... "Sophomore Slump"?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gurley is average right now. I hate to say it, but right now he is a C back. The O line hasn't been great but when are there are holes he either misses them or goes down on first contact. I have been saying this for weeks knowin it would never happen....put in Malcolm Brown and there is the 4 YPC.

This isn't accurate. Malcolm Brown is averaging 2.3 yards per carry. Benny Cunningham is averaging 5.0 yards per carry, but that's because he has only 9 carries and a 22 yard run. Without that 22 yard run, he's averaging 2.9 yards per carry. Gurley isn't the problem.

Putting in Malcolm Brown won't make things better.

jap

Legend
Gurley has been getting hit quite a bit in the backfield before he has time to truly build up momentum. I know he was supposed to have lost weight in the off-season. I have not seen any actual figures to show how much he did lose.

Of course, it's not enough to just put in Jared. Jared has to prove to DC's he can hurt them deep consistently before they will back off the extra attention on Todd and play more honestly. All young QB's get that type of pass rushing NFL initiation until they prove they can beat the blitz and recognize the exotic schemes deliberately designed to confuse them. Once Jared can prove he can find Tavon deep consistently, the defense will really back off the Gurley Man. No opponents want Tavon zigzagging at Warp Five through their secondary.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Gurley has been getting hit quite a bit in the backfield before he has time to truly build up momentum. I know he was supposed to have lost weight in the off-season. I have not seen any actual figures to show how much he did lose.

Of course, it's not enough to just put in Jared. Jared has to prove to DC's he can hurt them deep consistently before they will back off the extra attention on Todd and play more honestly. All young QB's get that type of pass rushing NFL initiation until they prove they can beat the blitz and recognize the exotic schemes deliberately designed to confuse them. Once Jared can prove he can find Tavon deep consistently, the defense will really back off the Gurley Man. No opponents want Tavon zigzagging at Warp Five through their secondary.
This isn't aimed towards you but, people have to stop being so concerned about Gurleys weight. The guy still weighs 220. Right now he's going through a period of having to deal with Oline issues. I think the bye week helps him out a lot. Who knows if he's dealing with injuries as well.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Goff doesn't need to set the world on fire, just the presence of Goff's strong arm will give Gurley more room to operate.
Not buying that. Defensive coordinators will be licking their chops at a chance to rattle hm. More blitzes more pressure he better be ready they all know why he's been sitting.

jap

Legend
This isn't aimed towards you but, people have to stop being so concerned about Gurleys weight. The guy still weighs 220. Right now he's going through a period of having to deal with Oline issues. I think the bye week helps him out a lot. Who knows if he's dealing with injuries as well.

I am not concerned about his weight. I was addressing the stated concerns of others who seem to be concerned about his weight. Todd talked about losing some weight, but I never expected that to be a problem. Usually, RB's work with their trainers to establish an optimal balance between weight, strength, speed, & quickness. If he is at the optimal balance point then he should be as good as he's going to be physically. He certainly doesn't seem to have lost much weight to me.

I am more concerned about getting a better passing offense to stop defenses from selling out to stop Todd and falling back to a more balanced alignment. We need to be dictating alignment strategies to the defense with an aggressive offense---not vice versa.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not buying that. Defensive coordinators will be licking their chops at a chance to rattle hm. More blitzes more pressure he better be ready they all know why he's been sitting.

Which will likely help us if Goff is truly ready.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Gurley was hitting the lanes correctly against the Giants. The blocking simply sucked. I reviewed the All-22 of the game. There were two plays where it was arguable he made the wrong decision. I can't speak to previous games because I didn't review the blocking on the All-22. But I doubt it was that different.
This^!!!!!
My biggest concern this offseason was the Oline. I was certain if they could stay healthy our passing game would be much better. The one thing that really bothered me was how bad the run blocking was last year. Gurley made them look better then they really are. I don't believe the players we have are ever going to be average at zone blocking. We need to let these guy's use their power and size. I just don't understand why we draft power players to play them in a finesse scheme.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
We don't know why he's been sitting , I don't believe anything I hear from the media. Donald sat until game 5 his rookie season and I'm sure he was ready to go from day 1 . Fisher does weird things that only make sense to him but I think Goffs arm talent will scare opposing teams a lot more .

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
It's been said before, but I think Goff is sitting because he needs to understand protections, shifts and audibles as well as the D's that will be coming after him to protect himself. He doesn't have the size to take hits in the pocket like Ben, Flacco, Newton or even Winston. He needs to know where the pressure is coming from to protect his thin frame. He has to hit the ground running mentally otherwise he won't last 4 games. You saw how what happened when he got rocked by a backup LB in preseason. Imagine that's Thomas Davis. I don't agree with the process so far, but I can see the rationale.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's been said before, but I think Goff is sitting because he needs to understand protections, shifts and audibles as well as the D's that will be coming after him to protect himself. He doesn't have the size to take hits in the pocket like Ben, Flacco, Newton or even Winston. He needs to know where the pressure is coming from to protect his thin frame. He has to hit the ground running mentally otherwise he won't last 4 games. You saw how what happened when he got rocked by a backup LB in preseason. Imagine that's Thomas Davis. I don't agree with the process so far, but I can see the rationale.

There are a number of QBs who don't have the size to take hits like those guys, yet they do. For example, Eli Manning has almost the same exact size dimensions as Goff. He actually has been far more durable than Roethlisberger throughout their careers.

Goff got hit plenty in college. He'll survive. Simply put, the guy either has the durability to play or he doesn't. Keeping him off the field won't change that.

Goff is sitting because of Fisher's outdated beliefs.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Gurley really hasn't done much since the middle of last year. Dude had a great run of what, 5 games?? Yeah, I know. . . He won OROY. OK. I have to admit, I didn't like the pick in the first place. I don't think he is the generational talent that most o n here say he is. I really hope to eat crow on this, but I simply don't expect him to be a top 5 back consistently. That's OK. He doesn't need to be. I just hope he can be a top 15 in this league . Flame. Suit. On.

jap

Legend
We don't know why he's been sitting , I don't believe anything I hear from the media. Donald sat until game 5 his rookie season and I'm sure he was ready to go from day 1 . Fisher does weird things that only make sense to him but I think Goffs arm talent will scare opposing teams a lot more .

. . . only if he actually produces. NFL DC's do not get scared until you start lighting up their exotic blitz packages and defensive schemes. They will try to blitz and confuse the heck out of Jared until he proves he is equal to the task of taking advantage of their blitzing and recognizing their fancy defensive schemes.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Which will likely help us if Goff is truly ready.
When he plays he will be ready but he will still be a rookie and he will still have a learning curve and will make rookie mistakes that will result in losses. He's going to take some lumps but, hopefully he will be strong enough to handle it, learn quickly, and be a great QB for the next decade or more.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/10/30/...tles-jarvis-landry-hit-fine-packers-receivers

I understand why Rams fans want Jared Goff under center when they return from their bye week to host the Panthers next week. You’re not only tired of watching Case Keenum, but you’re tired of watching Case Keenum and then hearing from analysts how two interceptions weren’t Keenum’s fault but also ignore the four other throws that absolutely should have been intercepted but instead fell incomplete.

We’ll see if there’s fire with the smoke of Steve Wyche's report that the Rams are getting Goff ready. But it’s not a surprise if Goff isn’t ready yet. While the NFL has borrowed elements of the Air Raid offense, it isn’t an NFL offense. Goff’s time at Cal, unlike Carson Wentz’s time at North Dakota State, didn’t prepare him to run an NFL offense. He needed to be programmed, and that’s fine.

I’ve run this list out about 14 times (and I’ve only written about 30 of these columns), but these are quarterbacks who also sat for a lengthy amount of time to begin their NFL careers: Tony Romo (three-plus years), Aaron Rodgers (three years), Philip Rivers (two years), Tom Brady (one-plus year), Drew Brees (one year), Carson Palmer (one year), Eli Manning (half a year).

So all the Goff questions we get around here: Is Jared Goff a bust?, Is it fair to say the Rams should have taken Carson Wentz since Jared Goff can’t even beat out Case Keenum? On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being the worst bust of all time and 10 being merely the worst bust of the last decade, how would you rate Jared Goff? Jared Goff is clearly not good at football. Sorry, I forgot to ask a question.

Just because he’s not playing doesn’t mean he won’t be good. There’s no such thing as “too late” for a developing quarterback to ascend to the starting role (maybe for the head coach’s tenure, but not for the QB’s development). And you can do real damage by sending a guy out there too early. - by Gary Gramling

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Goff is sitting because of Fisher's outdated beliefs.

Goff is sitting because he looked like shit in preseason and he got hurt. Fisher is doing what's best for the team and Goff.

fearsomefour

Legend
This isn't accurate. Malcolm Brown is averaging 2.3 yards per carry. Benny Cunningham is averaging 5.0 yards per carry, but that's because he has only 9 carries and a 22 yard run. Without that 22 yard run, he's averaging 2.9 yards per carry. Gurley isn't the problem.

Putting in Malcolm Brown won't make things better.
I was talking about Browns physical style of running. It would seem to fit with how the O line is playing right now. He also has the ability to get some yards after contact. Gurley isent lost by any means but he is not great right now. I would still like to see Brown get some carried mixed in.

fearsomefour

Legend
You don't know what he weighs and either do I. It was reported he lost weight before camp to get into "great" shape.....biggest waste of time on the planet for an explosive guy.
A 20 lb weight loss for a guy who was/is 220 is significant.
Maybe that is some of his issue maybe it is not.....but he routinely is not getting yards after contact.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike

Agree, they'll try to get into Goff's head early and often, especially given the perception that he might be overwhelmed at first...

fearsomefour

Legend
Gurley was hitting the lanes correctly against the Giants. The blocking simply sucked. I reviewed the All-22 of the game. There were two plays where it was arguable he made the wrong decision. I can't speak to previous games because I didn't review the blocking on the All-22. But I doubt it was that different.
Some earlier games there were some runs he left out there....again, hard to judge from the traditional TV angle and they are a handful of plays. More often than not the plays are blown up up front.
So, we have a line that isent blocking well, a running back that can't break tackles and a QB nobody fears. Love it when a plan comes together.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/10/30/...tles-jarvis-landry-hit-fine-packers-receivers

But it’s not a surprise if Goff isn’t ready yet. While the NFL has borrowed elements of the Air Raid offense, it isn’t an NFL offense. Goff’s time at Cal, unlike Carson Wentz’s time at North Dakota State, didn’t prepare him to run an NFL offense. He needed to be programmed, and that’s fine.

I’ve run this list out about 14 times (and I’ve only written about 30 of these columns), but these are quarterbacks who also sat for a lengthy amount of time to begin their NFL careers: Tony Romo (three-plus years), Aaron Rodgers (three years), Philip Rivers (two years), Tom Brady (one-plus year), Drew Brees (one year), Carson Palmer (one year), Eli Manning (half a year).

Just because he’s not playing doesn’t mean he won’t be good. There’s no such thing as “too late” for a developing quarterback to ascend to the starting role (maybe for the head coach’s tenure, but not for the QB’s development). And you can do real damage by sending a guy out there too early. - by Gary Gramling

All of this