Who is that guy they are calling Sanchez?????

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I can give Schotty somewhat of a pass for having to deal with a bad QB situation since Sam went down at Carolina last year, and having to deal with a shuffling OL due to injuries.

But man, does he make some headscratching play calls sometimes ... in the same game you'll see him call a run on 3rd and 10, and later call a pass on 3rd and 1. And given the way Davis is struggling with blitzes and such, you'd think there would be more playcalls to try to counter that, screens and draw plays (have we ever run a draw with BS ... I can't recall one).

And there is his seeming inability to figure out what to do with Tavon, made all the more frustrating by seeing what Arizona is doing with John Brown.

We also too often see a failure to adjust after halftime or when his script has run out of plays. Our 3rd quarter offensive stats are absolutely abysmal, and I don't think you can just pin that all on the execution of the players, particularly if they are executing well earlier on in the same game.

I'll bang the table with the same gavel I have before - Schottenheimer is just good enough to not get fired, but not good enough to take the offense to the next level. I have a hard time believing he's ever going to be the guy to maximize the offensive talent he has, even if we were to have a healthy Sam, Quick and stable OL now. Yeah, the O would be better for sure, but would it be as good as it could be?

If the O is going to take it to the next level, I really think Fisher needs to look elsewhere. It doesn't have to involve a total change in philosophy for our O, it just means finding someone who can get into the flow of the game and adjust to what the D is throwing at him and counter adjust when the opposing DC makes his inevitable adjustments. Someone who as the imagination to figure out how to use a guy like Tavon Austin, who could have a much bigger impact in this offense than he is having so far. Schotty is not terrible, but we can do better than "not terrible."

For the down and distance, many teams decide to run on 3rd and 10, and it all depends on how they see the line and the skill positions are playing, plus the right matchups. I've seen 3rd and 10 runs in many games. For passing on 3rd and short? Again, it's not something elusive on Schotty. I'm assuming you'r referring to that 3rd down against SF that went for an incompletion. Had Austin Davis found Lance Kendricks (who was wide open on that play) and if the OL held up their blocks, that's a walk in TD. The Colin Kaeperwhatever fumble never happens. That looked like a very similar play Monday night in which the scenario I described actually happened. You know, seeing the right matchup and executing. And the former happened in the 4th quarter (despite so many claiming Schotty doesn't adjust in the 2nd half).

As far as Tavon, IDK. Perhaps he isn't being utilized. Maybe Austin Davis just isn't going to him (like on one of his INTs last Sunday). So that comes full circle to my original point, which is my gavel banging mantra. Always more factors.

MrMotes

Starter
He has 2 INT in 2 games. And both INT came when his team was leading, and let the other team back in (Houston scored a TD after each pick)
I'm not seeing how he played all that great. What I am seeing is how much better he played than our QB has played. I think that has skewed the mentality of some....

For all the warts, he had a QB rating of 102.5 against Carolina and 89.6 against Houston for a combined 97.7. It's certainly too soon to make any bold proclamations but he's off to a nice start...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/2014/11/12/mark-sanchez-philadelphia-eagles-nfl/

‘A Completely Different Guy Right Now’
Mark Sanchez won over Philadelphia and celebrated Monday night’s win with cheesesteaks. Remember the butt fumble? His transformation began in January with an intervention disguised as a lunch meeting
By Jenny Vrentas

sanchez-storyimage-800.jpg

For the first time in his career, Sanchez threw for at least 300 yards and had no turnovers. (Al Tielemans/Sports Illustrated/The MMQB)

PHILADELPHIA — Mark Sanchez hadn’t been giddy on a football field since, when, exactly?

Most of us had forgotten. He’d forgotten. Until Monday night, when something as simple as handing the ball off to LeSean McCoy for a 1-yard touchdown sent him into a tizzy. He fist-pumped. He double fist-pumped. He raced up behind Jeremy Maclin to hip-check the wide receiver. McCoy’s score gave the Eagles a 31-point lead in their 45-21 blowout over the Panthers, and though his joy seemed familiar, it was hard to remember the last time Sanchez had been on the smiling side of such a lopsided game.

sanchez-maclin-360.jpg

(Al Tielemans/Sports Illustrated/The MMQB)

Nearly two years after his last NFL start, the quarterback formerly known as “Sanchize” completed 20 of 37 passes for 332 yards, two touchdowns and a 102.5 passer rating. But let’s be reasonable: It’s far too early to say he’s revived his career as a starter. It takes more than one win against a woeful Carolina team to call it a comeback. But in his first full game filling in for an injured Nick Foles, who broke his collarbone in Week 9, Sanchez did something that he never accomplished in five seasons with the Jets: He threw for at least 300 yards with no turnovers. “It’s hard to look at Mark Sanchez as a backup,” McCoy said after the game.

It’s easy to think the performance was merely a product of Chip Kelly’s quarterback-friendly offense. But doing so wouldn’t be fair to Sanchez, who rehabbed more than just an injured throwing shoulder over the past year. After his butt-fumble-defined Jets career came to a disappointing end, the former first-round pick was given an intervention of sorts that sparked a change in attitude, renewed his focus on faith and made football fun again.

In a quiet moment at his locker after the game, Sanchez reflected on his fall from grace in New York. It was now early Tuesday morning, his 28th birthday, when he said, “It was the worst and best thing, maybe, that could have happened.”

The intervention came in the form of a Wednesday lunch meeting in early January, not long after the Jets had finished 8-8 and seemed ready to move on without Sanchez. Todd Norman, who has trained Sanchez since he was a top quarterback prospect at Mission Viejo High in California, set up the meeting at a restaurant on the beach in Orange County. Another client of Norman’s sat at the table. “It is one thing for me to say certain things to Mark as his trainer and his friend,” Norman says, “but I wanted him to hear from someone else. A pro athlete who has been in game for a long time, made a lot of money and had a lot of success. Not even a football player. Just someone outside of his immediate world. Someone Mark has respect for.”

Norman wouldn’t divulge the other athlete’s name, but together they interrogated Sanchez. He was weak and out of shape after missing the 2013 season with a torn labrum, and he fully expected to be released by New York. He was at a crossroads, and Norman wanted to make sure Sanchez understood the stakes of his impending free agency.

“I told him, ‘Look, you might get one more opportunity,’ ” Norman says. “This was a defining offseason for him. This was a situation where you either break through or go downhill from here. And I tell you what, I’ve seen him go through so much stuff in his career, I wouldn’t blame him if he wanted to quit football.”

“I told him he needed to shave his beard and cut his hair,” Norman says of Sanchez’s intervention. “I said, ‘Hey, you need to look like a professional, and right now you don’t look like a starting quarterback in the NFL.’ ”
Norman often asks clients to rate how challenging exercises are on a scale of 1 to 100, and he used that same approach to assess Sanchez’s mindset. “How important is football to you?” he asked. “How badly do you want to be a starting quarterback in the NFL?”

Sanchez’s answer: 110. But that Norman even had to ask was more telling.

“He’s going to kill me for saying this, but when we had that first meeting, I told him he needed to shave his beard and cut his hair,” Norman says. “I said, ‘Hey, you need to look like a professional, and right now you don’t look like a starting quarterback in the NFL.’ Mark is a good-looking guy, and he just didn’t look like he was keeping himself together. To me, that was part of his rebirth. Making a complete change, even in his appearance.”

sanchez-jets-360.jpg

Although he took the Jets to back-to-back AFC Championship Games, Sanchez’s five seasons in New York became defined by the infamous butt fumble and virtually nonstop quarterback controversies. (SI/The MMQB photos)

Where did it all go wrong?

The fifth pick in the 2009 draft, Sanchez took the Jets to back-to-back AFC Championship Games in his first two seasons. He was the good-looking, charming and bilingual star from USC, and comparisons to Joe Namath were easy to make. But in 2011, Sanchez’s third season, everything began to unravel.

Going against Rex Ryan’s ground-and-pound philosophy, the Jets’ tried opening up their offense despite not having receivers who could stretch the field. Making matters worse, Sanchez was pulled in different directions by his offensive coordinator, Brian Schottenheimer, who ran a Don Coryell-inspired system, and his position coach, Matt Cavanaugh, a disciple of Bill Walsh. After the Jets lost three straight to close out the season and miss the playoffs, LaDainian Tomlinson declared the rift between Sanchez and wideout Santonio Holmes to be “as bad as I’ve ever been around.” That the Jets had a top-five defense and a struggling offense only increased tensions in the locker room.

It got even worse in 2012, when the Jets’ trade for Tim Tebow didn’t have the intended rise-to-the-challenge effect on Sanchez and the offense. “Selling seats, man,” was how Sanchez, in a rare moment of public frustration that fall, half-jokingly explained the organization’s rationale. Then the infamous butt fumble happened on Thanksgiving. Sanchez gave the ball away 26 times that season, including five in a particularly ugly Monday night loss to the Titans, after which he was benched. By season’s end the coaches’ trust in their onetime franchise quarterback had reached a nadir.

It’s a big reason why the Jets drafted Geno Smith in the second round of the 2013 draft, and why Sanchez was still playing late in the Jets’ fourth preseason game against the Giants in August of that year. Despite outplaying Smith in training camp, Sanchez was sent out to further prove himself behind an offensive line comprising second- and third-stringers. The shoulder injury he suffered in the fourth quarter, on a hit delivered by Marvin Austin, turned out to be the final play of his Jets career.

“He’s seen almost the highest highs, and a pretty low end of the spectrum, too,” says older brother Brandon, the middle of the three Sanchez boys. “New York will do that. New York gives you anything and everything you want—and anything and everything you don’t want at the same time.”

Sanchez publicly cheered on Smith while rehabbing his shoulder. But when he returned home to California last Christmas Eve, he seemed to be in disrepair: He could only toss a light rehab football, and he looked bedraggled. He’d been growing his hair out for Locks for Love, but Norman came to fear that Sanchez’s appearance reflected his internal feelings.

“He likes to have fun in life, and he makes it fun for everyone else. And yeah, the last few years, a lot of that fun has been taken away, just because he has been through a lot of stress,” Norman says. “He is a completely different guy right now. He’s happy. And not that he wasn’t happy before—I am not saying he was depressed or anything. He was just being so challenged. Like many of us in life, he was going through some tough times, and he found a way to get himself out of it.”

sanchez-handoff-800.jpg

To prepare for Philadelphia’s up-tempo offense, Sanchez wore an elevation mask that restricted his breathing during drills and hooked up resistance bands to his feet. (Al Tielemans/Sports Illustrated/The MMQB)

Sanchez looked every bit the part of a Chip Kelly quarterback on Monday night. He evaded pass rushers with precision footwork, often giving himself more time, as he did on a 21-yard throw to Brent Celek that set up the Eagles’ first touchdown. He had the stamina to lead a 10-play, 91-yard touchdown drive in just 3:35, a pace so fast that even the officials couldn’t keep up and had to blow a snap dead. His first touchdown pass came on the run, with Sanchez rolling left and perfectly placing the football in front of Jordan Matthews and away from the defender. Afterward, Sanchez spread his arms out in celebration like a jet plane. Or an Eagle.

Getting Sanchez to this point required an entire rebuild, starting with his arm strength. When he signed a one-year deal with the Eagles in March, his throwing shoulder wasn’t yet healthy. He didn’t feel 100%, in fact, until a few weeks before training camp, when he let a ball rip 70 yards. “There it is,” he told Norman.

After becoming an Eagle, most of Sanchez’s workouts with Norman and Bob Johnson, his coach at Mission Viejo, focused on sharpening the skills he’d need to run Philadelphia’s up-tempo offense. He wore an elevation mask that restricted his breathing during drills, forcing him to take deeper and more controlled breaths. He hooked up resistance bands to his feet so he could enhance his agility and quickness in the pocket. He also started practicing hot yoga up to three times a week, which helped him recharge physically and mentally.

“He likes the spotlight, the stage,” Sanchez’s brother, Brandon, says. “It’s funny how he’s gone from hero to zero to hero so quick.”​
The pressures of playing in New York took a toll on Sanchez. At times he seemed uptight or beaten down, if not outright defeated. But he didn’t arrive in Philadelphia with the same expectations. He was also joining a team that has a clear offensive identity linked directly to its head coach—a far cry from the three offensive coordinators he had in five years with the Jets. During the Eagles’ preseason, Sanchez turned heads not only with his 80.6% completion rate, but also for his relaxed demeanor that had all but disappeared in New York. He’s back to making it fun for everyone. At one point, Sanchez bought an autographed photo of Napoleon Dynamite, Foles’ doppelganger, and hung it in the quarterbacks’ meeting room.

But there is also a serious side to Sanchez, who credits a renewed reliance on his spirituality for giving him perspective and direction. He began attending services led by Miles McPherson, a former NFL player who is now the pastor of The Rock Church in San Diego. Sanchez and his mother spoke daily about faith. In March, at the suggestion of former Jets teammate D’Brickashaw Ferguson, he attended the Pro Athletes Outreach conference for Christian athletes.

“When you lose what you love, you see what this whole thing is really about,” Sanchez says. “There’s more to life than football. And it’s hard to see that when you’re playing and things aren’t going right and you are trying so hard and preparing so hard, and it just doesn’t work. That’s a tough feeling. People ask, ‘What’s it like getting back?’ It was such a long road, but it was a ton of rehab, a ton of working out, a ton of family time, and a ton of prayer.”

Under his No. 3 jersey on Monday night, Sanchez wore a thin silver necklace. It had a charm inscribed with the Hebrew word Yeshua. That matched with a lesson in one of McPherson’s online sermons that Sanchez watched on Sunday: God goes by many names. Provider. Deliverer. Comforter.

“He will always do those things for us. He can’t not do those things,” Sanchez says, relaying a teaching he kept in mind during his year away from the field. “It will always work out. It will work out. It’s gonna work out.”

After getting his first win in Philly, Sanchez celebrated by getting his first cheesesteak. Click on the photo see video from Philadelphia’s Channel 6 Action News.

For now, Mark Sanchez is the starting quarterback for the Philadelphia Eagles, a 7-2 team that has a very good shot at making the playoffs. A lot has changed since 2012. He owns a home now. He has a chocolate lab, named Oso, the Spanish word for bear. He has the trust of a locker room and a coaching staff that thought him too valuable to play in the fourth preseason game.

After OTAs in June, Brandon Sanchez recalls, Mark arrived home happy that Chip Kelly and the coaches wanted him on their team. “That was almost like a success,” Brandon says. “It’s not an AFC Championship Game or anything like that. But that was a mini-accomplishment, a mini-goal. I think that helped him get through.”

As well as Sanchez played Monday night, his performance brings questions: Will it last? And what happens when Foles, sidelined for six to eight weeks, is healthy? The road ahead won’t be easy. The Eagles’ final seven games include four NFC East division matchups, two against the second-place Cowboys, and conference games against the Packers and Seahawks. For once, though, Sanchez seems capable of shutting out all the noise and focusing on what must be done.

“I think when you take a step back, you appreciate it so much and you miss it so much,” Sanchez said after Monday’s game. “I just kept telling myself when I was out that if I get a chance to go back out there, I don’t ever want to be out again until I retire.”

It was nearly 1 a.m. when Sanchez left Lincoln Financial Field. His birthday an afterthought, he wanted to celebrate his first victory in Philly in the most Philly way possible: with a cheesesteak. A local news camera was there to capture the scene at, of all places, Geno’s Steaks. Smiling and screaming fans shared their cheese fries and snapped selfies with Sanchez. He comported himself in the manner of a starting quarterback, the steward of a franchise, shaking hands with every worker in the shop.

“He likes the spotlight, the stage,” Sanchez’s brother, Brandon, says. “It’s so funny how he’s gone from hero to zero to hero so quick. But that’s the nature of the business.”

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Just to put it in perspective, with all of the Kelly, Shurmur and Sanchez love, the Cardinals and 49ers were their toughest defensive opponent so far. No surprise there, you have to go to our division to face a really nasty defense.

And for all of the bluster of that no-huddle defense, both the Cards and the 49ers held them to 20 and 21 respectively, and they lost both games. Even we held them to 28 points when our defense was basically losing games for us.

Don't get me wrong, it sure is exciting to watch. Who didn't watch enjoy watching Jim Kelly and the Bills in the 90s? He was a true class act who treated his offensive linemen well. But they called them the blow-it-again Bills for a reason. Also, regardless of their success in getting to the super bowl as often as they did, no-one really copied them to that degree ... because you have to have the players to execute it.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
He won't look good on Thanksgiving. :wabbit:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
For the down and distance, many teams decide to run on 3rd and 10, and it all depends on how they see the line and the skill positions are playing, plus the right matchups. I've seen 3rd and 10 runs in many games. For passing on 3rd and short? Again, it's not something elusive on Schotty. I'm assuming you'r referring to that 3rd down against SF that went for an incompletion. Had Austin Davis found Lance Kendricks (who was wide open on that play) and if the OL held up their blocks, that's a walk in TD. The Colin Kaeperwhatever fumble never happens. That looked like a very similar play Monday night in which the scenario I described actually happened. You know, seeing the right matchup and executing. And the former happened in the 4th quarter (despite so many claiming Schotty doesn't adjust in the 2nd half).

As far as Tavon, IDK. Perhaps he isn't being utilized. Maybe Austin Davis just isn't going to him (like on one of his INTs last Sunday). So that comes full circle to my original point, which is my gavel banging mantra. Always more factors.

That play is definitely one I was thinking about, and I don't disagree with you on the execution of that one. But here's the rub - you've got a QB who has been struggling and not executing throughout much of the game and is clearly rattled, then why do you put the ball in his hands on such a critical play of the game instead of just trying to run it? I could understand that playcall better if we had a healthy Sam in there or even the Austin Davis of earlier this season. But the Davis in that game was not getting it done and it wasn't a stretch to guess that he wouldn't have the presence of mind to execute that play given the way the game had unfolded up to that point. Why not just try to run it for the first down in that scenario? This is a classic example of what I mean by Schotty doesn't get into the flow of the game sometimes.

RhodyRams

well hung member
Rams On Demand Sponsor
SportsBook Bookie
scooped up Dirty Sanchez for my fantasy team since Palmer and Foles are done for the year

Sunday will be the return of butt fumbling Sanchez... bank on it LOL

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
scooped up Dirty Sanchez for my fantasy team since Palmer and Foles are done for the year

Sunday will be the return of butt fumbling Sanchez... bank on it LOL
We'll see if the Rhody jinx has staying power.