Who is that guy they are calling Sanchez?????

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

V3

Hall of Fame
I concur and I believe you will see many changes to the staff, however, do not be shocked if the new offensive coordinator is not a high profile guy.
I don't mind if they aren't high profile. People need to be given a chance. I just want them to make a well informed choice and pick someone that's innovative/creative.

ram007

Starter
So how many offensive players from Rams are going to make it to Pro Bowl and/or going to be All-Pro? Our offensive talent across the board hovers between mediocre and good. There are no difference making players (Like Lynch, Larry Fitzgerald, Megatron, Jimmy Graham) in this line up. None. Nada. Zilch.

So offensive coordinator is far from the problem but Schotty's big area of improvement in his annual review should be about ability to adjust in game while game goes off the script

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
You mean the guy that was in charge of the Jets offense when they went to the AFC title game 2 years in a row?

Or the one that magically made the Jets an offensive juggernaut when he left in 2012?

There's ALWAYS more factors than taking the lazy route and blaming the OC.

I see this a lot in defense of Schotty but you have to adapt the system to fit the team instead of having the team adapt to the system.

Spagnuolo won a Super Bowl as a defensive coordinator but he is also responsible for coaching the worst defense in NFL history. Now there isn't a team in the league that is interested in him.

Sometimes you have to look at the full story instead of the silver lining and Schotty simply hasn't put success together for this offense on any consistent basis.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I don't mind if they aren't high profile. People need to be given a chance. I just want them to make a well informed choice and pick someone that's innovative/creative.

IMO, here's the guy Fisher will hire. Not saying I agree or disagree and the Browns would have to grant permission, but Fisher really liked him in Tennessee.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/coaches/Dowell-Loggains/a8ce260f-4fef-41a3-8a6e-d391178ed2e9

PC_Loggains_Dowell.jpg

College:
Arkansas
Hometown:
Newport, Arkansas
Experience:
BIOGRAPHY
Loggains was the quarterbacks coach/pass game coordinator from 2010-12, when he worked with Kerry Collins, Vince Young, Matt Hasselbeck and Locker, a first-round pick in 2011. The previous two seasons (2008-09), Loggains was the quality control coach for the offense. He originally joined Tennessee as a coaching administrative assistant (2006-07).

Prior to the Titans, Loggains spent the 2005 season as a scouting assistant with the Dallas Cowboys. His duties included assisting with opponent film breakdown, self-scouting and statistical analysis to be used in game-plan preparation.

A native of Newport, Ark., Loggains was a four-year letterman as a quarterback and holder at Arkansas, where he appeared in 50 games. He graduated with a bachelor of science and master’s degree in education. Loggains was a two-year starter at quarterback for Abilene Cooper (Texas) High School.

Loggains and his wife, Beth, have two daughters, Reese and Aven.

Dowell Loggains’ Coaching Background:
2005 Dallas Cowboys, scouting assistant
2006-07 Tennessee Titans, coaching administrative assistant
2008-09 Tennessee Titans, offensive quality control coach
2010-12 Tennessee Titans, quarterbacks coach/pass game coordinator
2012-13 Tennessee Titans, offensive coordinator (final five games in 2012)
2014- Cleveland Browns, quarterbacks coach

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Fisher hires the next OC, I dont think you'll see much of a change in philosphy. If the Rams are to get a modern aged offense, "someone" needs to over rule Fisher a la Vermeil.
On Sanchez last night? Philly steam rolled Carolina, Newton was not right. I wasnt all that impressed with Sanchez, he missed some throws. But that stuff gets missed when the team is up 17 in the 1st quarter
In that offense, 54% comp isnt gonna cut it. And he improved it to there in garbage time

moklerman

Warner-phile
If Fisher hires the next OC, I dont think you'll see much of a change in philosphy. If the Rams are to get a modern aged offense, "someone" needs to over rule Fisher a la Vermeil.
On Sanchez last night? Philly steam rolled Carolina, Newton was not right. I wasnt all that impressed with Sanchez, he missed some throws. But that stuff gets missed when the team is up 17 in the 1st quarter
In that offense, 54% comp isnt gonna cut it. And he improved it to there in garbage time
C'mon Dieter, if you're going to go that route, then you have to mention all the drops and that it was Sanchez's first start in this offense too.

Bottom line, the guy looked pretty good and much better than he'd looked for the Jets. Which is the point.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
IMO, here's the guy Fisher will hire. Not saying I agree or disagree and the Browns would have to grant permission, but Fisher really liked him in Tennessee.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/coaches/Dowell-Loggains/a8ce260f-4fef-41a3-8a6e-d391178ed2e9

PC_Loggains_Dowell.jpg

College:
Arkansas
Hometown:
Newport, Arkansas
Experience:
BIOGRAPHY
Loggains was the quarterbacks coach/pass game coordinator from 2010-12, when he worked with Kerry Collins, Vince Young, Matt Hasselbeck and Locker, a first-round pick in 2011. The previous two seasons (2008-09), Loggains was the quality control coach for the offense. He originally joined Tennessee as a coaching administrative assistant (2006-07).

Prior to the Titans, Loggains spent the 2005 season as a scouting assistant with the Dallas Cowboys. His duties included assisting with opponent film breakdown, self-scouting and statistical analysis to be used in game-plan preparation.

A native of Newport, Ark., Loggains was a four-year letterman as a quarterback and holder at Arkansas, where he appeared in 50 games. He graduated with a bachelor of science and master’s degree in education. Loggains was a two-year starter at quarterback for Abilene Cooper (Texas) High School.

Loggains and his wife, Beth, have two daughters, Reese and Aven.

Dowell Loggains’ Coaching Background:
2005 Dallas Cowboys, scouting assistant
2006-07 Tennessee Titans, coaching administrative assistant
2008-09 Tennessee Titans, offensive quality control coach
2010-12 Tennessee Titans, quarterbacks coach/pass game coordinator
2012-13 Tennessee Titans, offensive coordinator (final five games in 2012)
2014- Cleveland Browns, quarterbacks coach

I wouldn't mind an Arkansas boy helping out Offense if he's in the mold of a Gus Malzahn from Fort Smith

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
C'mon Dieter, if you're going to go that route, then you have to mention all the drops and that it was Sanchez's first start in this offense too.

Bottom line, the guy looked pretty good and much better than he'd looked for the Jets. Which is the point.
I thought he looked ok, and look forward to watching him fail when it counts.
We'll see, it was one game. The game was a rout early, so it was hard to judge. When they had the 4th and 2 at midfield with the game somewhat in doubt, he threw a bad pass. Thats the Sanchez I've seen too much of

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I don't care what offense we run, or who runs it just so long as the guy doing it can make adjustments at halftime, and not completely abandon what's working.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I thought he looked ok, and look forward to watching him fail when it counts.
We'll see, it was one game. The game was a rout early, so it was hard to judge. When they had the 4th and 2 at midfield with the game somewhat in doubt, he threw a bad pass. Thats the Sanchez I've seen too much of
Why is that the only play that you're judging him on though? Don't you think a guy who hasn't been getting starter's reps all year might take some time to get in sync with his receivers? That 4th down pass wasn't a bad decision or a mistake, it just wasn't a perfect pass to a TE that didn't win his 1-on-1 matchup. Even still, he had both hands on it and should have caught it. It probably would have still been short of the first down, but not really an indictment of Sanchez IMO.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I wouldn't mind an Arkansas boy helping out Offense if he's in the mold of a Gus Malzahn from Fort Smith

Not sure Fisher would allow Loggains to run a Malzahn offense, however, if Schottenheimer is allowed to pursue other interests (too big of a name to fire him) this would be my guess as to who would be a the top of Fisher's list. Now again even though it would be a promotion the Browns would still have to grant permission.

In the NFL if an assistant is under contract teams still have to grant permission and most cases they do when an individuals have opportunities to become coordinators, however, I have seen teams block moves like this in the past.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why is that the only play that you're judging him on though? Don't you think a guy who hasn't been getting starter's reps all year might take some time to get in sync with his receivers? That 4th down pass wasn't a bad decision or a mistake, it just wasn't a perfect pass to a TE that didn't win his 1-on-1 matchup. Even still, he had both hands on it and should have caught it. It probably would have still been short of the first down, but not really an indictment of Sanchez IMO.
I mention that play because the game was such a blowout there werent many plays he had to make.
Carolina was a mess, and in Q1 Sanchez was a mere 2 for 6 for 36 yards, and yet they had a 17-7 lead
He wasnt the difference last night that his numbers make him out to be.
We'll see more of him, and that will give a better understanding of what he's made of

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I can give Schotty somewhat of a pass for having to deal with a bad QB situation since Sam went down at Carolina last year, and having to deal with a shuffling OL due to injuries.

But man, does he make some headscratching play calls sometimes ... in the same game you'll see him call a run on 3rd and 10, and later call a pass on 3rd and 1. And given the way Davis is struggling with blitzes and such, you'd think there would be more playcalls to try to counter that, screens and draw plays (have we ever run a draw with BS ... I can't recall one).

And there is his seeming inability to figure out what to do with Tavon, made all the more frustrating by seeing what Arizona is doing with John Brown.

We also too often see a failure to adjust after halftime or when his script has run out of plays. Our 3rd quarter offensive stats are absolutely abysmal, and I don't think you can just pin that all on the execution of the players, particularly if they are executing well earlier on in the same game.

I'll bang the table with the same gavel I have before - Schottenheimer is just good enough to not get fired, but not good enough to take the offense to the next level. I have a hard time believing he's ever going to be the guy to maximize the offensive talent he has, even if we were to have a healthy Sam, Quick and stable OL now. Yeah, the O would be better for sure, but would it be as good as it could be?

If the O is going to take it to the next level, I really think Fisher needs to look elsewhere. It doesn't have to involve a total change in philosophy for our O, it just means finding someone who can get into the flow of the game and adjust to what the D is throwing at him and counter adjust when the opposing DC makes his inevitable adjustments. Someone who as the imagination to figure out how to use a guy like Tavon Austin, who could have a much bigger impact in this offense than he is having so far. Schotty is not terrible, but we can do better than "not terrible."

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I see this a lot in defense of Schotty but you have to adapt the system to fit the team instead of having the team adapt to the system.

Spagnuolo won a Super Bowl as a defensive coordinator but he is also responsible for coaching the worst defense in NFL history. Now there isn't a team in the league that is interested in him.

Sometimes you have to look at the full story instead of the silver lining and Schotty simply hasn't put success together for this offense on any consistent basis.
I just don't think that's the case here. I think we have a lot of talent, but some of it is overrated, some of it hasn't matured yet, some of it just doesn't mesh well, and on top of that you have an air Coryell coordinated matched to a run first head coach.

I mean you can see where they obviously drafted a bit in an attempt to run a spread offense. They also drafted some players that would fit better in a run and shoot offense. I a way, you've seen some experimentation out of Shottenheimer, some of which has worked and some of which hasn't, which I think is normal for a team trying to crawl out of the basement and find an identity.

To me, it's a bit chaotic due to the reactionary nature of the firefighting job that I think Fisher inherited.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
People always make comments about a teams Big Play players. If Megatron, Marshawn Lynch or Fitzgerald were on the Rams this year they would suck! It's not just the players. It's not just the coaches.........it's everything put together. It's why we have 10+ years of shit!

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
He's the perfect example of what an oline and a few weapons can do for a qb.
I remember similar circumstances with Breese in sd. Horrible oline and few weapons. He goes to NO, and becomes a star.
I'm not saying Sanchez is Breese, just similar situations.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I mention that play because the game was such a blowout there werent many plays he had to make.
Carolina was a mess, and in Q1 Sanchez was a mere 2 for 6 for 36 yards, and yet they had a 17-7 lead
He wasnt the difference last night that his numbers make him out to be.
We'll see more of him, and that will give a better understanding of what he's made of
I agree that the book isn't written on Sanchez in Philly. Maybe he implodes or reverts to what he was doing in NYJ but for a start, he had a good one. No, he wasn't the difference in the game but how did he "look"? He was making some good passes, good reads and avoided pressure. He looked good. I think that's all anyone is really saying.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I agree, that's why Sam Bradford was off to a career year last year.

Why Brian Quick was breaking out this year.

That's why our TEs are the teams' leading TD receptions.

And why 3rd round and beyond RBs are playing well.

All this with injuies and 2nd and 3rd string QBs.

Sorry dude, but I won't ever blame the OC, call for changes after every loss. Always more factors. Always.
One other BIG factor is some players failure to execute plays! Shotty has proven, on occasion that he can be brilliant in his play calling!

moklerman

Warner-phile
One other BIG factor is some players failure to execute plays! Shotty has proven, on occasion that he can be brilliant in his play calling!
He can certainly script the beginning of a game and get early production but why does that always disappear? Fast starts and bad finishes have happened too frequently to be coincidence. Is it Schotty or are his hands being tied by Fisher? There's a problem somewhere, that's for sure.