Who is that guy they are calling Sanchez?????

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
But Sanchez spent 3 year playing under BS in NY. How he plays outside of that system isn't noteworthy or relevant to us Rams fans?
How he played in one game under a completely different system and then spring boarding that into a stage for the anti-Schotty crowd? Yeah - I think that's BS and hardly "noteworthy or relevant".

If he continues to play well - and I don't actually consider his performance last night as anything special - then I could see a thread about a comparison based on Sanchez's play with Schotty versus his play in Philly. But taking this thread and making it about Schotty is just ridiculous after ONE game where a guy throws for 54% and 2 TDs. It's silly really.

There have been plenty of threads on here about Schotty's play calling, system, lack of performance, and yes - even threads about how Schotty called a good game. But using one game by a guy who couldn't beat out the likes of Nick freaking Foles as a basis for proving our OC isn't any good is pretty rich.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
But Sanchez spent 3 year playing under BS in NY. How he plays outside of that system isn't noteworthy or relevant to us Rams fans?
Not really ,maybe if in deed Sanchez is doing better it could be because he's quit trying to be Broadway Joe,GQ cover boy, bon vivant man about town, or the whipping boy of the NY press, way too many variables that can effect .
Shatty has been the whipping boy for our rebuilt passing game taking flight ,has any Shotty detractor given much thought to the fact that Philly is loaded at the skill positions and the Jets weren't and we are JUST NOW realizing some of the talent because they are almost all 3 years and less in experience?

MrMotes

Starter
Actually, after Schottenheimer left, Sanchez regressed badly and ultimately lost his job. At the time, pretty much everyone was saying Schottenheimer was a scapegoat for Sanchez.

But Ryan replaced BS with Tony Sparano (of the Wildcat fame in Miami) with the idea they needed to run more. Sparano's idea of a good QB is Ronnie Brown. If the choice is between BS and Sparano as OC, i take BS every single time.

Chip Kelly is a coach who gets a lot out of his QB's (so far anyway). BS is not...

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well since I was the OP I will say this. In no way was this meant to deteriorate into a Shotty sucks thread. My original intent was look how a guy that was thrown on the trash heap could look in a system with ideals that 1 don't count on him to win the game, 2 has talent at the skill positions and 3 the tempo controls the game can suddenly be a decent NFL QB.

The stats never show everything, there were drops, there were a few defensive plays, there were penalties like every game. But Sanchez LOOKED good. He was getting people lined up in the right place, he was quick, he avoided pressure, and he delivered the ball where his guys could make plays.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Couldn't you say the same thing about Peyton against the Raiders? I don't think you can reduce Sanchez's performance to the first couple of series of his first start with a new team in a new offense.
Because prior to their first start with their news teams, the two quarterbacks shared the same career success? Really?
And youre putting too much weight in the 1st start deal. He was able to get his feet wet the previous week in Houston. So yeah, Im not buying the first start jitters. To me, he looked like Sanchez, and when the game got out of hand, and the pressure was off he was able to free wheel it.
The Houston game was more of what I expect. 2 INT and IIRC he fumbled once, could be wrong

moklerman

Warner-phile
Not ONLY that but illustrates how if you win and play for another team even a mediocre performance can be lauded ,but if you play the same way and lose for the home team you suck
Who are you suggesting is being overstated and who was understated? I'll take 300+ yards, 2-3 TD and no turnovers every day of the week from my QB. I think if his name wasn't Sanchez, it wouldn't be being argued that he was mediocre.

MrMotes

Starter
Well since I was the OP I will say this. In no way was this meant to deteriorate into a Shotty sucks thread. My original intent was look how a guy that was thrown on the trash heap could look in a system with ideals that 1 don't count on him to win the game, 2 has talent at the skill positions and 3 the tempo controls the game can suddenly be a decent NFL QB.

The stats never show everything, there were drops, there were a few defensive plays, there were penalties like every game. But Sanchez LOOKED good. He was getting people lined up in the right place, he was quick, he avoided pressure, and he delivered the ball where his guys could make plays.

I think it's pretty hard to ignore the context: Sanchez failed playing under our current OC. And now, so far, he's doing well playing in a different system...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

It's funny how Sanchez often looks good even when his stats don't. He is a guy who comes in and plays hard and can play fast. I'll give him that. I'm not bagging on Sanchez so much as actually agreeing with you on the team and system. I'd love to see this kind of system in St Louis if we could get it to work. But I'm a Duck fan in Oregon too so......

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So let me get this straight, if Sanchez stunk in New York because of the OC, then why arent we crediting the OC in Philly?
Great Job Shurmer!!!!

moklerman

Warner-phile
Because prior to their first start with their news teams, the two quarterbacks shared the same career success? Really?
And youre putting too much weight in the 1st start deal. He was able to get his feet wet the previous week in Houston. So yeah, Im not buying the first start jitters. To me, he looked like Sanchez, and when the game got out of hand, and the pressure was off he was able to free wheel it.
The Houston game was more of what I expect. 2 INT and IIRC he fumbled once, could be wrong
Well, I know that one of those pick's wasn't on Sanchez but couldn't you say that after knocking some rust off, he's played pretty well? We are talking about a guy who hasn't played since 2012, coming off of injury, on a new team and in a new system. So, he looked a little shaky the first quarter's worth of play that he came back.

Like you say, we'll see if it holds or if it's just a fluke.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it's pretty hard to ignore the context: Sanchez failed playing under our current OC. And now, so far, he's doing well playing in a different system...
He has 2 INT in 2 games. And both INT came when his team was leading, and let the other team back in (Houston scored a TD after each pick)
I'm not seeing how he played all that great. What I am seeing is how much better he played than our QB has played. I think that has skewed the mentality of some....

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I know that one of those pick's wasn't on Sanchez but couldn't you say that after knocking some rust off, he's played pretty well? We are talking about a guy who hasn't played since 2012, coming off of injury, on a new team and in a new system. So, he looked a little shaky the first quarter's worth of play that he came back.

So he's 2 for 2 in coming in to games and needing to knock the rust off. ok, we just agree to disagree. And although Green Bay isnt the toughest defense, its a road game and I will gladly admit Im wrong if he plays well.

moklerman

Warner-phile
So he's 2 for 2 in coming in to games and needing to knock the rust off. ok, we just agree to disagree. And although Green Bay isnt the toughest defense, its a road game and I will gladly admit Im wrong if he plays well.
No, he came off the bench and had 2 interceptions and had to knock the rust off last week. He didn't have any turnovers against Carolina did he? Sure, he didn't start the game hot and complete his first 20 passes and lead 3 TD drives but just because he had a couple of incompletions doesn't mean he was playing poorly.

Sleepy1711

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No, he came off the bench and had 2 interceptions and had to knock the rust off last week. He didn't have any turnovers against Carolina did he? Sure, he didn't start the game hot and complete his first 20 passes and lead 3 TD drives but just because he had a couple of incompletions doesn't mean he was playing poorly.

Wait a minute, shouldn't we wait til he plays a little more to say he's pretty good? I mean AD played pretty well in the beginning of the year and now someone is saying he's playing like crap.

Sanchez has a veteran team, a better oline, c'mon now. Let's wait and see...and lastly who cares about Sanchez.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maybe so but that was not my intent with the post.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He was 2 of 6 for 36 yards and because Carolina self destructed, he was up 17-7. If the score was reversed and he put up the same numbers, yeah, we'd say he played poorly there. And he looked the part of it to. He didnt look composed, he looked a little out of sorts. And at 24-7 at mid field he had 2 attempts to pick up 2 yards and failed. Last time he was under any pressure to succeed. He's played 2 games, i watched them both. And I see the same guy, not some reclamation project gone well. And like I said, Green Bay is a great test. No more jitters, no more getting used to stuff. Let's see what he's got for real

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

I think that is the point. It's one game against the 25th ranked defense - third worst against the pass. Let's see how it plays out and then there will be rationale behind a thread comparing Sanchez under two different coordinators - in a thread about just that BTW.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
So let me get this straight, if Sanchez stunk in New York because of the OC, then why arent we crediting the OC in Philly?
Great Job Shurmer!!!!

As somebody else once said, Shurmer is a great OC as long as it's someone else's scheme and that someone else is calling the plays.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Mark Sanchez post season career includes a 4-2 record, 60% comp, 9/3 TD/INT ratio, 94 QB rating and 7.4 YPA.
To say he never played well under Shotty is pretty much nonsense.

What do you think the reason for his decline was? I also remember the kid from Iowa (RB) having a couple of good years and declining. His name escapes me at the moment.