Who is that guy they are calling Sanchez?????

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
He can certainly script the beginning of a game and get early production but why does that always disappear? Fast starts and bad finishes have happened too frequently to be coincidence. Is it Schotty or are his hands being tied by Fisher? There's a problem somewhere, that's for sure.
And from what I've heard Fisher say, he knows this is a problem. IF I had the answer I'd e-mail the Fish with it!!

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
It's hard not to think that Schottenheimer doesn't get the most out of his QB's after watching Sanchez tonight.

That's what I don't understand about Schottenheimer's offense. Why is it so complicated when it's so conservative and unproductive? It's also frustrating to watch relatively good plays in the first quarter and then nothing the rest of the time. Is the "script" solid but then no adjustments are made?

When it comes right down to it though, regardless of how good or bad Schottenheimer actually is, the Rams are BORING to watch most of the time. Watching the Eagles tonight was bringing back memories of Mad Martz. Watching the Rams has been like watching Shurmur. Even if things were going well and the Rams were able to replicate what the Jets were doing a few years ago, which is what I assume they want to do, it would be relatively boring.

Great analogies, I think...This team doesn't have Warner, Holt, Bruce, Faulk, Pace et.al, but they could sure be a little more wide open than they are IMO...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Mark Sanchez post season career includes a 4-2 record, 60% comp, 9/3 TD/INT ratio, 94 QB rating and 7.4 YPA.
To say he never played well under Shotty is pretty much nonsense.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
So Sanchez is having some good games......(surrounded by talent) -BFD.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I agree that the book isn't written on Sanchez in Philly. Maybe he implodes or reverts to what he was doing in NYJ but for a start, he had a good one. No, he wasn't the difference in the game but how did he "look"? He was making some good passes, good reads and avoided pressure. He looked good. I think that's all anyone is really saying.
I dunno man. He looked good at times and bad at times last night. How many times have you seen a Rams QB get a good shake after a 54% completion rate? Never?

I seem to remember us making Sanchez look like a world beater as well. Carolina has been playing awful so I'm not one to say that Sanchez is a great QB and then take the HUGE leap that Schotty was what was holding him back. Sanchez has always had those two or three games during a season but he comes down to earth and plays like we all have seen him play. IMO, he was the same in college and with all the hype surrounding him, he knew staying in school wasn't a good option.

Maybe this Philly offense is a great fit for Sanchez. Think about how many offensive players Chip had in Oregon that are now lighting it up in the NFL. I think that number is zero. Chip has a great offensive mind. You think Foles starts anywhere else in the NFL?

I'm not going to defend Schotty. I DO think he has done some good things here with a constantly rotating cast. But the bottom line is results and the NFL is a results business. I'd like to see some results.

But if we are keeping this thread on track and about Sanchez - Sanchez is who we thought he was. And one good game against a defense that is struggling mightily doesn't really change that. Think about it. The Panthers are allowing a staggering 67% completion rate and they don't seem to be improving. Sanchez hitting on 54% isn't exactly an example of great QB play.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Think about it. The Panthers are allowing a staggering 67% completion rate and they don't seem to be improving. Sanchez hitting on 54% isn't exactly an example of great QB play.
Fair enough, but the Eagles had 5+ drops on the night too. And, Sanchez put up more yards, more TD's and fewer INT's than Brees last week and Wilson the week before.

Sanchez was spreading the ball around, pushing it downfield, looking off defenders, working the pocket...dude played well.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dunno man. He looked good at times and bad at times last night. How many times have you seen a Rams QB get a good shake after a 54% completion rate? Never?

I seem to remember us making Sanchez look like a world beater as well. Carolina has been playing awful so I'm not one to say that Sanchez is a great QB and then take the HUGE leap that Schotty was what was holding him back. Sanchez has always had those two or three games during a season but he comes down to earth and plays like we all have seen him play. IMO, he was the same in college and with all the hype surrounding him, he knew staying in school wasn't a good option.

Maybe this Philly offense is a great fit for Sanchez. Think about how many offensive players Chip had in Oregon that are now lighting it up in the NFL. I think that number is zero. Chip has a great offensive mind. You think Foles starts anywhere else in the NFL?

I'm not going to defend Schotty. I DO think he has done some good things here with a constantly rotating cast. But the bottom line is results and the NFL is a results business. I'd like to see some results.

But if we are keeping this thread on track and about Sanchez - Sanchez is who we thought he was. And one good game against a defense that is struggling mightily doesn't really change that. Think about it. The Panthers are allowing a staggering 67% completion rate and they don't seem to be improving. Sanchez hitting on 54% isn't exactly an example of great QB play.
Great post. I'm feeling the same thing.
With a 31-7 lead in the second half (in just over a quarter) Sanchez was really able to inflate his stats against a team that had pretty much given up. In that time frame he went 9/15 for 141 and a TD (Could have been 2 had Celek gotten in). So yeah, he had a decent outing, hardly what I would call good

moklerman

Warner-phile
Great post. I'm feeling the same thing.
With a 31-7 lead in the second half (in just over a quarter) Sanchez was really able to inflate his stats against a team that had pretty much given up. In that time frame he went 9/15 for 141 and a TD (Could have been 2 had Celek gotten in). So yeah, he had a decent outing, hardly what I would call good
I'm not really talking about the stat's though. I'm talking about how he looked. Davis has proved how misleading stat's can be and Sanchez just continued what he was already doing even for the Jets before he got hurt last preseason. I mean, compared to Foles who was throwing up ducks, throwing off his back foot, just not looking comfortable.

Sanchez wasn't making bad reads or getting bailed out by defenders dropping would-be interceptions or receivers making miraculous catches of bad throws. For a guy getting his first start in a new system he looked very comfortable and poised. I hope for him, he keeps it up. The guy was overdrafted to be sure but he's taken far more criticism than he's deserved IMO.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not really talking about the stat's though. I'm talking about how he looked. Davis has proved how misleading stat's can be and Sanchez just continued what he was already doing even for the Jets before he got hurt last preseason. I mean, compared to Foles who was throwing up ducks, throwing off his back foot, just not looking comfortable.

Sanchez wasn't making bad reads or getting bailed out by defenders dropping would-be interceptions or receivers making miraculous catches of bad throws. For a guy getting his first start in a new system he looked very comfortable and poised. I hope for him, he keeps it up. The guy was overdrafted to be sure but he's taken far more criticism than he's deserved IMO.
I just dont see it that way at all. I saw a guy who looked shaky to start and when the team was comfortably ahead, and he was playing with house money, started to roll
Next week will be a legit test. And then fer sure, at Dallas will be fun to watch.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Sanchez generally stands and delivers. It's just that too many of those deliveries are to the other team. His passing career % is right there with last night so it is pretty much what he does - regardless of drops. The proof will be in how or IF he plays the rest of the season. For Pete's sake, Foles had 411 yards against the Cards with this offense.

No big deal really. I have never viewed Sanchez as a very good QB and I watched him play that one year at USC.

The fact that he had a good game last night really shouldn't be extrapolated out to Schotty. I think it is a huge stretch.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Sanchez generally stands and delivers. It's just that too many of those deliveries are to the other team. His passing career % is right there with last night so it is pretty much what he does - regardless of drops. The proof will be in how or IF he plays the rest of the season. For Pete's sake, Foles had 411 yards against the Cards with this offense.

No big deal really. I have never viewed Sanchez as a very good QB and I watched him play that one year at USC.

The fact that he had a good game last night really shouldn't be extrapolated out to Schotty. I think it is a huge stretch.
I think there are plenty of other players who've struggled in Schotty's offense to make that deduction.

MrMotes

Starter
Three years in Schotty's offense and Sanchez was a bust. Now, with Chip Kelly, he's on the rise. (There's a lesson in there for Sam Bradford.)

I'm sure there's a set of circumstances where BS could shine, but where are his success stories? The nobodies he turned into superstars, the rag tag group he led to greatness, the DC's he's outsmarted? There aren't any. He's never developed anybody into anything more than average. The man's resume is nothing but mediocrity, under performing and failure.

I'm sure some of this has to do with having to coach under defensive minded head coaches like Rex Ryan and Jeff Fisher. But even in that context he has routinely failed to produce as an OC.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I just dont see it that way at all. I saw a guy who looked shaky to start and when the team was comfortably ahead, and he was playing with house money, started to roll
Next week will be a legit test. And then fer sure, at Dallas will be fun to watch.
Couldn't you say the same thing about Peyton against the Raiders? I don't think you can reduce Sanchez's performance to the first couple of series of his first start with a new team in a new offense.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think there are plenty of other players who've struggled in Schotty's offense to make that deduction.
And this is a perfect example of my biggest problem with this thread. It went from a thread about a system and how a mediocre QB performed in it to a thread about talking shit about our OC. The two are NOT interchangeable. And using it as a platform for going after our OC is just bullshit IMO.

I'm cool with a thread that discusses our offensive woes with actual discussions that aren't simply saying how bad he is. But taking a thread about a different system and how good a QB looked for one game in that system and using it to bag on one of our coaches is lame.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I'm sure some of this has to do with having to coach under defensive minded head coaches like Rex Ryan and Jeff Fisher. But even in that context he has routinely failed to produce as an OC.
That begs the question, why is he constantly recruited to coach under those circumstances? Is he just good enough to run a "safe" offense?

MrMotes

Starter
And this is a perfect example of my biggest problem with this thread. It went from a thread about a system and how a mediocre QB performed in it to a thread about talking crap about our OC. The two are NOT interchangeable. And using it as a platform for going after our OC is just bullcrap IMO.

I'm cool with a thread that discusses our offensive woes with actual discussions that aren't simply saying how bad he is. But taking a thread about a different system and how good a QB looked for one game in that system and using it to bag on one of our coaches is lame.

But Sanchez spent 3 year playing under BS in NY. How he plays outside of that system isn't noteworthy or relevant to us Rams fans?

moklerman

Warner-phile
And this is a perfect example of my biggest problem with this thread. It went from a thread about a system and how a mediocre QB performed in it to a thread about talking crap about our OC. The two are NOT interchangeable. And using it as a platform for going after our OC is just bullcrap IMO.

It's a reasonable progression and the sad truth is, there really aren't many examples of Schottenheimer's system consistently working. It's flashed at times but I think it's very reasonable to question BS's potential and ability when a QB who supposedly was the problem and reason that his offense wasn't productive comes out and looks pretty good.

But I didn't watch the Jets a lot so I have to go off what I've seen here with the Rams and I haven't been particularly impressed. This isn't a case of just randomly or blindly attacking the OC. We cant say that BS's system worked in this case or that and now it isn't. It's routinely and basically universally criticized for it's lack of production. And it has been for years.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Three years in Schotty's offense and Sanchez was a bust. Now, with Chip Kelly, he's on the rise. (There's a lesson in there for Sam Bradford.)
Actually, after Schottenheimer left, Sanchez regressed badly and ultimately lost his job. At the time, pretty much everyone was saying Schottenheimer was a scapegoat for Sanchez.

But I agree with RamFan503... really wasn't necessary to go there. Plenty of other threads already talking about BS.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

Not ONLY that but illustrates how if you win and play for another team even a mediocre performance can be lauded ,but if you play the same way and lose for the home team you suck