What to expect out of the Rams two new signings OLB Connor Barwin and RB Lance Dunbar

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You could easily be correct on that starting lineup, although I keep seeing Barron at SS, Ogletree at RILB & either someone like Forrest or a new player brought in at LILB. jmo.
I think everyone deserves a shot to win a job like Forrest, Littleton, Randolph etc. However, I think Forrest they are going to use in a situational pass rusher role like a Dekoda Watson type from the Broncos D last year. Barron might actually be good at SS in a 3-4 since keep in mind he played SS in a tampa 2 in Tampa. He didn't fit that defense at all. I like him as a LB though.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think the Trumaine Johnson trade is NOT going to happen. He just came out with a picture on instagram like "New mentality" lets get it Rams or something like that. I think that means the Rams brass sat down with him told him he wasn't being traded and they don't want to sign him long term because he needs to prove himself after a down year.
Meh....If he stays, he stays....I still don't think he fits with what son-of-bum likes in a corner...man to man/press man coverage skills...does he have the necessary recovery speed? Plus, I saw a lot of business decision type tackles outta this guy. And those last 2 games...I could of swore QB's were going right at him.

jap

Legend
I think Mo Claiborne only signing for 5 million opened people's eyes that the Rams had other options but they really believe Tru is the best option for RIGHT NOW. If he doesn't pan out they don't bring him back that simple.

Mo never really impressed me and I am glad the Horns went with Jenks even if the old coaching regime allowed Jenks to get away. The million dollar questions are: What kind of a press coverage CB will Tru be? Is he really a sixteen million dollar man?

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
What veteran CB that's anywhere near Tru's level is left? Also a rookie CB paired with Gaines/Webster isn't ideal at all but if Wade signed off on it I guess I would have to trust him bc he certainly knows more than I do. If they were going to trade Tru they should of done it earlier. I don't see how they trade him for anywhere near fair value.
They won't trade Tru now its like very unlikely imo. I think there is a chance maybe on draft night they trade him to move back up into the first round. However, the market value is low because of the amount of talent in this draft at the CB position. I literally just saw a mock that us drafting Quincy Wilson...If that was the case wow.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Mo never really impressed me and I am glad the Horns went with Jenks even if the old coaching regime allowed Jenks to get away. The million dollar question is: what kind of a press coverage CB will Tru be?
Tru as I see it is made for Phillips defense. He played in a Rams scheme that he truly didn't fit imo. He was drafted because Fisher saw him when he went down and saw him play at Montana. Tru needs to play on his CB not that 10 yard cushion nonsense. Just watch Tru will look like Sherman or Talib in this defense. No question.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I think they have to keep Tru at this point. Who is the vet to sign? I'm sure they will draft at least 1 hopefully 2 CBs in this draft but keeping Tru as a bridge seems to make sense.
Tru is going to be a Ram for the next four-five years. He is going to roll in this defense. Hasn't been comfortable in a 4-3 it took him a bit to adapt and he did but he needs to play in press coverage which Wade will use him often for.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Check out Jake's front 7, y'all...

With Barwin on board you can pencil in a Rams front seven that looks a little bit like this:

LE: Dominique Easley
NT: Michael Brockers
RE: Aaron Donald
LOLB: Connor Barwin
LILB: Alec Ogletree
RILB: Mark Barron
ROLB: Robert Quinn

That's six 1st rounders and Barwin was the 14th pick of the 2nd round.

Wow!
I think the Rams are going to be a force on defense. Easily top 5 under Wade. Book it!

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Meh....If he stays, he stays....I still don't think he fits with what son-of-bum likes in a corner...man to man/press man coverage skills...does he have the necessary recovery speed? Plus, I saw a lot of business decision type tackles outta this guy. And those last 2 games...I could of swore QB's were going right at him.
See I completely disagree. I think he fits the man to man/press coverage cornerback more than zone. I think he adapted well to the scheme he was thrown into but he really always should have been in a scheme like Wade's.

jap

Legend
Tru as I see it is made for Phillips defense. He played in a Rams scheme that he truly didn't fit imo. He was drafted because Fisher saw him when he went down and saw him play at Montana. Tru needs to play on his CB not that 10 yard cushion nonsense. Just watch Tru will look like Sherman or Talib in this defense. No question.

That would be nice to see. However, he has never impressed me nearly as much as Jenks. He certainly has the big CB body. Let's see if he knows or will learn how to use it effectively.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
That would be nice to see. However, he has never impressed me nearly as much as Jenks. He certainly has the big CB body. Let's see if he knows or will learn how to use it effectively.
I always liked Tru more than Jenkins.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
See I completely disagree. I think he fits the man to man/press coverage cornerback more than zone. I think he adapted well to the scheme he was thrown into but he really always should have been in a scheme like Wade's.
Now you got me pulling to not trade him....I always saw Tru as a guy that loves being 4-7 yards off his man...not bump and run...like JJ...who I also believe was a better pure corner. Tru being the better tackler. Agree to disagree Jakey....and we should have some answers very soon...what do we have 4 months until camp? OTA's??? TC????

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Now you got me pulling to not trade him....I always saw Tru as a guy that loves being 4-7 yards off his man...not bump and run...like JJ...who I also believe was a better pure corner. Tru being the better tackler. Agree to disagree Jakey....and we should have some answers very soon...what do we have 4 months until camp? OTA's??? TC????
Agreed man! This draft can't come soon enough.

InnovatedMind

NO MA'AM President
Name
Joe
I think you're right. They have too many question marks in the secondary. They can't afford to lose their best DB. Even if they have to overpay him for a year. Revisit this after next season and see if he's worth a long term deal.

This team is still going to live and die with the defense. Keep the defense formidable and they can stay in games while the offense tries to get up to speed. Its really they only chance they have at coming close to a winning season.

That was Fishers mantra... and it didn't work out too well. That's why we signed McVay, to be the complete opposite of the bolded.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
That was Fishers mantra... and it didn't work out too well. That's why we signed McVay, to be the complete opposite of the bolded.

I'm ok with that mantra as long as its only temporary and doesn't take away from improving the offense. The offense is not going to be a top 15 offense in 2017. I think we all know that. For now the best chance to be able to compete in McVay's first season is if the defense plays at a top ten level. We know the offense will struggle early on. But all in all, the offense should be the primary focus as the team progresses.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Tru is going to be a Ram for the next four-five years. He is going to roll in this defense. Hasn't been comfortable in a 4-3 it took him a bit to adapt and he did but he needs to play in press coverage which Wade will use him often for.

Are you hearing things on the vine ? That's a pretty bold prediction, not only no trade, but being re-signed.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Tru is a zone coverage CB rather than the press coverage CB that Wade prefers; so he was never really ideal for this new defense. Jenks would have been the preferred veteran CB, and I am still sick that Fisher's regime allowed him to go (although I can't really blame Jenks for wanting to leave the old coaching brass).

Don't be too sure that a rookie press CB cannot be effective. Jenks didn't do too badly in 2012, and we have a superior defensive mind evaluating all viable veteran and rookie CB's now.
Coming out of College Tru was a press man corner. A very good one at his level.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/trumaine-johnson?id=2532877

Go Rams........ ;)

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
He has been a zone guy in the pros for the overwhelming part. He would have to re-establish himself as a press CB at a higher level.

This is true....and it's very possible your right @jap...... ;) but I am waiting for him the opportunity he simply wasn't afforded in Williams system. Even though that's what got him drafted so high....we won't know until he is tried there..... but following that logic......means any press corner we may draft may turn out to be a better zone corner than man press corner.....as the draft is a gamble. I guess we will have to wait and see.... ;)

Go Rams.......... ;)

HellRam

Starter

Agree and I'm suprised more fan's dont see it this way, especially regarding scheme. The Rams tagged Johnson for a reason and it was not because they had a guaranteed trade lined up, which is mostly obvious by now.

I actually don't mind the Tru franchise tag, sure he's overpaid. However, they have no long term money tied up and Johnson still has to prove his worth. Johnson has elite talent, now hopefully he lives up to the franchise tag worth in Wade's D this year.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Wasn't there a report of a team asking TJ Watt if he could play inside? What if that team, was the Rams?

LDE Easley
NT Brockers
RDE Donald
LOLB Barwin
LILB Ogletree
RILB Watt
ROLB Quinn
LCB Johnson
RCB Webster
SCB Joyner
SS Barron
FS Alexander