What to expect out of the Rams two new signings OLB Connor Barwin and RB Lance Dunbar

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
What to expect out of the Rams two new signings OLB Connor Barwin and RB Lance Dunbar
227364_87e2507e814a401a9e429aa626a06b6e~mv2_d_2000_1333_s_2.webp

https://www.downtownrams.com/single...ignings-OLB-Connor-Barwin-and-RB-Lance-Dunbar

227364_bb8b6609da794c7eb916c159866d59d7~mv2_d_3208_2266_s_2.webp

Lance Dunbar signed with the Los Angeles Rams on a one-year $3 million deal.

To start the day the Rams agreed to terms on a one year deal for running back Lance Dunbar. Many were left asking why him and not Benny Cunningham? While Cunningham has been good for the Rams, it's likely he is looking for a starting job or at least more playing time. Cunningham was only given 58 carries in the last two years and quite honestly that's too low of a carry total for him. Dunbar likely was signed because of Skip Peete's relationship with him back in his days with the Dallas Cowboys.

Dunbar is likely to come in and instantly emulate the Chris Thompson role played for Head coach Sean McVay's offense last year with the Redskins. Thompson is another smaller and shifty back that can open up the defense. He can break a tackle if need be and can be an excellent option for young QB Jared Goff in check down situations. Dunbar only signed a one year deal so there is a very good chance that is the only year he spends in L.A. which is fine. Right now it makes sense to bring in Dunbar as maybe the Rams look to the draft to add someone down the road.

In McVay's offense last year he used three running backs for the majority of the season in Robert Kelley (undrafted free agent), Matt Jones and Chris Thompson. The Rams will likely match that now with Todd Gurley, Malcolm Brown and Lance Dunbar. Now moving on to the big name signing...

227364_b496cb9177fc463b988a96f86e0c3d45~mv2.webp

Connor Barwin signed with the Los Angeles Rams on a one-year $6.5 million deal

Just like how Dunbar had connections with a coach already on staff, so did Connor Barwin and those connections happen to be with the defensive coordinator of the Rams Wade Phillips. They both go back to their days in Houston when Barwin had accrued 14.5 sacks with Phillips defensive scheme alone. Now, he's 30 years old and has been cut by his second team and signed by his third team.

Barwin is going to start immediately for the new look Rams defense. The Rams are switching from Gregg Williams attacking 4-3 and nickel base scheme for Wade Phillips' 3-4 hybrid scheme. This happens to be the same scheme that Barwin has been ready to go back into as he has started to see his play tail off since he began playing in a 4-3. Barwin will be able to come in right away and be the outside linebacker opposite Robert Quinn. He will likely be called on to lead the young Rams defense into the change to Phillips scheme.

With Barwin on board you can pencil in a Rams front seven that looks a little bit like this:

LE: Dominique Easley
NT: Michael Brockers
RE: Aaron Donald
LOLB: Connor Barwin
LILB: Alec Ogletree
RILB: Mark Barron
ROLB: Robert Quinn

With the obvious culture change needed, Barwin joins a list of men that will be brought in to be leaders and keep the chemistry flowing. The Rams have made some low key signings that the media won't rave about but make no mistake about it the Rams have gotten better this off-season.

jap

Legend
Now, if we can get this Tru trade rolling, Wade can start penciling in people to fill out his secondary.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That front seven looks pretty good and can be very dangerous if they all stay healthy especially Quinn. I'm most excited about Brockers I think he has a career year in terms of sacks

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Now, if we can get this Tru trade rolling, Wade can start penciling in people to fill out his secondary.
I think the Trumaine Johnson trade is NOT going to happen. He just came out with a picture on instagram like "New mentality" lets get it Rams or something like that. I think that means the Rams brass sat down with him told him he wasn't being traded and they don't want to sign him long term because he needs to prove himself after a down year.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
That front seven looks pretty good and can be very dangerous if they all stay healthy especially Quinn. I'm most excited about Brockers I think he has a career year in terms of sacks
Yes! I don't understand why everyone forgets Easley is on the roster. We don't need a different starter Easley needs to start 100%. He's a great player.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I think the Trumaine Johnson trade is NOT going to happen. He just came out with a picture on instagram like "New mentality" lets get it Rams or something like that. I think that means the Rams brass sat down with him told him he wasn't being traded and they don't want to sign him long term because he needs to prove himself after a down year.

I think you're right. They have too many question marks in the secondary. They can't afford to lose their best DB. Even if they have to overpay him for a year. Revisit this after next season and see if he's worth a long term deal.

This team is still going to live and die with the defense. Keep the defense formidable and they can stay in games while the offense tries to get up to speed. Its really they only chance they have at coming close to a winning season.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I think you're right. They have too many question marks in the secondary. They can't afford to lose their best DB. Even if they have to overpay him for a year. Revisit this after next season and see if he's worth a long term deal.

This team is still going to live and die with the defense. Keep the defense formidable and they can stay in games while the offense tries to get up to speed. Its really they only chance they have at coming close to a winning season.
Exactly. I mean look, I love Tru but if we could trade him for a second or a first hell yeah I would be all over that. It sounds like they think he could be worth way more than that after this season. In Wade's defense he is going to break out but it makes no sense to sign him long term when he has proven he can be a top 5 cornerback one year and then the next look like a mid tier starter. I don't know it's a no-win situation for the Rams. You trade Tru away you aren't gaining anything you are just likely drafting a position that is one of the hardest to succeed at for a rookie. I don't know if I agree with doing that. I want this to be our defense.

LCB: Trumaine Johnson
RCB: Kayvon Webster
NCB: LaMarcus Joyner
FS: Brian Randolph
SS: Maurice Alexander

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Well ... On paper at least, this^ looks pretty good! I hope it works out well!! I might be looking for a replacement for Easley in the Draft! Like maybe, Derek Rivers - Youngstown State, or Jordan Willis - Kansas State, or Trey Hendrickson - Florida-Atlantic, just to mention some good options!! Thoughts!?!

jap

Legend
Losing Tru would make this defense weaker not better.

I don't see why you would say that as I expect Wade and Co. would use the recovered funds from Tru's old franchise tagging to possibly sign another veteran CB and would certainly draft a rookie CB or two.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
227364_87e2507e814a401a9e429aa626a06b6e~mv2_d_2000_1333_s_2.webp

https://www.downtownrams.com/single...ignings-OLB-Connor-Barwin-and-RB-Lance-Dunbar

227364_bb8b6609da794c7eb916c159866d59d7~mv2_d_3208_2266_s_2.webp

Lance Dunbar signed with the Los Angeles Rams on a one-year $3 million deal.

To start the day the Rams agreed to terms on a one year deal for running back Lance Dunbar. Many were left asking why him and not Benny Cunningham? While Cunningham has been good for the Rams, it's likely he is looking for a starting job or at least more playing time. Cunningham was only given 58 carries in the last two years and quite honestly that's too low of a carry total for him. Dunbar likely was signed because of Skip Peete's relationship with him back in his days with the Dallas Cowboys.

Dunbar is likely to come in and instantly emulate the Chris Thompson role played for Head coach Sean McVay's offense last year with the Redskins. Thompson is another smaller and shifty back that can open up the defense. He can break a tackle if need be and can be an excellent option for young QB Jared Goff in check down situations. Dunbar only signed a one year deal so there is a very good chance that is the only year he spends in L.A. which is fine. Right now it makes sense to bring in Dunbar as maybe the Rams look to the draft to add someone down the road.

In McVay's offense last year he used three running backs for the majority of the season in Robert Kelley (undrafted free agent), Matt Jones and Chris Thompson. The Rams will likely match that now with Todd Gurley, Malcolm Brown and Lance Dunbar. Now moving on to the big name signing...

227364_b496cb9177fc463b988a96f86e0c3d45~mv2.webp

Connor Barwin signed with the Los Angeles Rams on a one-year $6.5 million deal

Just like how Dunbar had connections with a coach already on staff, so did Connor Barwin and those connections happen to be with the defensive coordinator of the Rams Wade Phillips. They both go back to their days in Houston when Barwin had accrued 14.5 sacks with Phillips defensive scheme alone. Now, he's 30 years old and has been cut by his second team and signed by his third team.

Barwin is going to start immediately for the new look Rams defense. The Rams are switching from Gregg Williams attacking 4-3 and nickel base scheme for Wade Phillips' 3-4 hybrid scheme. This happens to be the same scheme that Barwin has been ready to go back into as he has started to see his play tail off since he began playing in a 4-3. Barwin will be able to come in right away and be the outside linebacker opposite Robert Quinn. He will likely be called on to lead the young Rams defense into the change to Phillips scheme.

With Barwin on board you can pencil in a Rams front seven that looks a little bit like this:

With the obvious culture change needed, Barwin joins a list of men that will be brought in to be leaders and keep the chemistry flowing. The Rams have made some low key signings that the media won't rave about but make no mistake about it the Rams have gotten better this off-season.

You could easily be correct on that starting lineup, although I keep seeing Barron at SS, Ogletree at RILB & either someone like Forrest or a new player brought in at LILB. jmo.

Last edited:

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
I don't see why you would say that as I expect Wade and Co. would use the recovered funds from Tru's old franchise tagging to possibly sign another veteran CB and would certainly draft a rookie CB or two.

What veteran CB that's anywhere near Tru's level is left? Also a rookie CB paired with Gaines/Webster isn't ideal at all but if Wade signed off on it I guess I would have to trust him bc he certainly knows more than I do. If they were going to trade Tru they should of done it earlier. I don't see how they trade him for anywhere near fair value.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame

I think they have to keep Tru at this point. Who is the vet to sign? I'm sure they will draft at least 1 hopefully 2 CBs in this draft but keeping Tru as a bridge seems to make sense.

jap

Legend
What veteran CB that's anywhere near Tru's level is left? Also a rookie CB paired with Gaines/Webster isn't ideal at all but if Wade signed off on it I guess I would have to trust him bc he certainly knows more than I do. If they were going to trade Tru they should of done it earlier. I don't see how they trade him for anywhere near fair value.

Tru is a zone coverage CB rather than the press coverage CB that Wade prefers; so he was never really ideal for this new defense. Jenks would have been the preferred veteran CB, and I am still sick that Fisher's regime allowed him to go (although I can't really blame Jenks for wanting to leave the old coaching brass).

Don't be too sure that a rookie press CB cannot be effective. Jenks didn't do too badly in 2012, and we have a superior defensive mind evaluating all viable veteran and rookie CB's now.

jap

Legend
I think they have to keep Tru at this point. Who is the vet to sign? I'm sure they will draft at least 1 hopefully 2 CBs in this draft but keeping Tru as a bridge seems to make sense.

If they opt to go with Tru he will have to step it up as a press CB. He has the requisite body size, but he never been Jenks' equal at shadowing receivers. I would expect the defensive coaches to target at least two press CB's as they transition the defensive philosophy from Greg Williams' vision to that of the SonOfBum. It will almost like 2012 all over again with Courtland and rookies Jenks & Tru.

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Check out Jake's front 7, y'all...

That's six 1st rounders and Barwin was the 14th pick of the 2nd round.

Wow!

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Well ... On paper at least, this^ looks pretty good! I hope it works out well!! I might be looking for a replacement for Easley in the Draft! Like maybe, Derek Rivers - Youngstown State, or Jordan Willis - Kansas State, or Trey Hendrickson - Florida-Atlantic, just to mention some good options!! Thoughts!?!
I like those options! However, Rivers and Willis are OLB's in our scheme. Trey Hendrickson would be an option at DE though. I really think Easley is going to be great though so if you draft guys to me you are drafting depth. I would consider McMillan to play inside with Tree if they aren't comfortable with Barron but it sounds like they are...

jap

Legend
Check out Jake's front 7, y'all...

That's six 1st rounders and Barwin was the 14th pick of the 2nd round.

Wow!

I just hope that The Mighty Quinn enters 2017 like the proverbial Phoenix rising from the ashes of his past injuries.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Losing Tru would make this defense weaker not better.
Absolutely agree. I know I already said this but I think they told Tru to go spend some time in Miami take the stress off his back and then when he came back they told him he wasn't being traded. There won't be a long term deal. They don't want to hope he pans out I fully expect the Rams to re-sign him long term next year if he ends up panning out.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
I think Mo Claiborne only signing for 5 million opened people's eyes that the Rams had other options but they really believe Tru is the best option for RIGHT NOW. If he doesn't pan out they don't bring him back that simple.