What Cowboys fans are saying before and after the game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...r-to-watch-rams-defensive-tackle-aaron-donald

Opposing player to watch: Rams defensive tackle Aaron Donald

If Von Miller isn’t the best defensive player in the league, this guy might be.
by Joseph.Hatz

851122022.0.jpg

Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images

Over the first three games of the season the Cowboys have faced some great defenses that have stressed their vaunted offensive line. In looking at the front 7’s of the Giants, Broncos, and Cardinals you notice that they are primarily built around their edge rushers, with premier talents like Von Miller, Chandler Jones, Olivier Vernon, Jason Pierre-Paul, and Markus Golden.

Each of those guys are among the best, and in some cases are considered the best at their respective positions. Needless to say, the offensive tackles of the Cowboys have faced some stern tests in the early going of 2017.

The Rams bring something a little different though. Their overall defense isn’t to the level of those first three opponents, and they don’t exactly have the edge talent that those other teams do although Robert Quinn is very good, but what they do have that those other teams don’t is an elite pass-rushing, potential game-wrecker on the interior of the line. Of course I’m talking about one Aaron Donald, arguably the best defensive player in the league.

Heading up to Week 1 I wrote about the Giants massive defensive tackle Damon Harrison and how he would be the key to the Cowboys offensive success, or lack thereof. Harrison is clearly one of the best defensive tackles in the league, just like Donald is, but they couldn’t be more polar opposites. Where Harrison stuffs several gaps at 350 lbs. and wins with better than expected agility, Donald wins with pure speed and quickness at a mere 6-1, 280 lbs.

Donald ran an incredible 4.68 40 at the 2014 Combine and the speed translates to the field as he is able to get by guards and centers in a flash with an excellent first step explosiveness. Not only that, he has an excellent array of pass rush moves and uses his hands as well as any edge rusher to keep linemen off of his smaller frame.

In many ways he is the perfect 3-technique in Rod Marinelli’s defense, a modern-day Warren Sapp, and in all honesty he may actually be better. He is a bit of an awkward fit in the 3-4 system that Wade Phillips brought to the Rams this offseason but as most Cowboys fans will remember, Phillips does not run a traditional 2-gap 3-4 defense and can fit smaller players into his scheme, as he did with Jay Ratliff all those years ago in Dallas.

Despite the system change, as well as a contract holdout that spanned into the first week of the season, Donald looks as good as ever, notching a sack against the 49ers last week and getting consistent pressure despite missing all of training camp and the preseason. Over his first three seasons in the league Donald has put up an astounding 28 sacks and 57 TFL, making the Pro Bowl each season and being named First Team All-Pro twice.

He is not simply a one-trick pony who only wants to get after the quarterback, he is able to hold his ground against the run despite his size and make plays behind the line of scrimmage using not just speed and quickness, but a combination of technique and leverage.

He is similar in that regard to his fellow 2014 first-round alum, Zack Martin, who he had legendary battles with during the 2014 Senior Bowl practices leading up to the draft. Both are arguably the best at their positions in the league and both will be heads-up on each other this Sunday for what is sure to be a matchup that is as good as it gets.

The only question is, how often will the Rams look to move Donald away from Martin and line him up against Chaz Green, or potentially even Jonathan Cooper given the fact that Green missed Friday’s practice?

Will Green or Cooper be up to the task of handling an elite, probable future Hall of Famer, similar to what La’el Collins was asked to do against Von Miller?

Will the offensive line be able to identify what the Rams are doing with Donald and shift protection schemes to compensate?

Will Travis Frederick have to devote his efforts to helping out whoever is at left guard?

It’s anybody’s guess with a player as talented as him who can defy the best laid schemes and techniques, but what I do know is that no matter the talent level, defensive players tire out the longer they have to stay on the field no matter who they are and if the Cowboys running game is able to control the clock and lean on Donald his effectiveness will wane as the game goes on.

This must be the objective on offense this Sunday, similar to how you deal with an elite edge-rusher. You don’t want to provide him with the ideal game circumstances to do what he does best and start feeling good about himself while he gets the offensive line off-balance and guessing.

If Donald can be kept under control the rest of the Rams defense does not intimidate. They have some talent at certain spots, namely Mark Barron and Alec Ogletree at inside linebacker, and Robert Quinn and Connor Barwin on the edge, but for the most part those are matchups that the Cowboys can work to their favor. Donald is the one who can ruin everything and enhance the play of those around him if he is allowed to flourish.

It will certainly be intriguing to see how the game unfolds given such a unique matchup of potential future Hall of Famers in Donald and Martin. Either way, let’s hope not only the Cowboys on the field keep an eye on him, but also the brass upstairs.

After all, the contract holdout that kept Donald out the first game of the season has not been resolved and given the fact that he will almost definitely be looking to become the highest paid defensive player in the league, and that it is unlikely that the Rams will want to commit that kind of money given his less-than-perfect fit in the defense, he may actually become available for the right price in the next 12 months.

It’s certainly not the Cowboys M.O. to spend lavishly on free agents and big names anymore, especially not if it may require giving up a draft pick, but it’s also not very often that one of the few truly elite players in the league becomes available. And it’s even rarer for a player like that to come available and also be a picture-perfect fit schematically, as Donald is in Marinelli’s scheme.

Throw in the fact that the team was very interested in him with their 2014 first-round just a few years ago, that they still have flexibility given Dak Prescott’s rookie deal, and of course that the missing piece to a title run could be taking the defensive line and pass-rush from good with Demarcus Lawrence and Maliek Collins, to potentially great with Donald, and you might have the makings of a rare once-in-a-decade type move where the Cowboys go all-in for right now with a high-stakes move.

Just a little something to keep in the back of your mind on Sunday.
---------
Aaron Donald

I want him
-------
The only guy who can keep up with him is Tyron. Too bad offensive linemen don’t get moved around a whole lot. Would love to see Tyron move inside and go up against Donald
-------
I hope the cowboys win but i wont be surprised if we lose.
------
Donald is special.
He is on of the best defensive lineman in the league. You dont stop him, but you must slow him down. Dallas should be able to get their run going and tire him out.
---------
I was one of those hoping Donald would go to us in the draft before he rose to the top of the board for every team.

With that said, I don’t want him now, not if it means sacrificing Collins and Lawrence. Collins could be a top 5 DT in this league at his current rate, and Lawrence top 10 DE if he keeps this up. Big if’s at this point, but by years end we should know whether it is more likely or not.

As much as I’d love to have Donald (if money wasn’t an issue), I don’t think he is worth putting over 100 million into then having only one solid guy, albeit one in a generation talent, on our line. It’s fun to dream though.
-------
I really hope cooler heads prevail when the $100 mil+ comes due with an option to re-up it in 3 years-plus whoever we have to dump to make it happen-

Q729

Legend
This is starting to tick-me-off!! When the Rams are on CBS, they give us the Visiting Teams announcers! Now we are on FOX, and we are the Visiting Team and we get Former-CowPie's as announcers! When will we get some Former Rams as announcers!?! There are plenty out there!!

View attachment 21869
When inter-conference games are played, the game is shown on the network of the visiting team. That's probably why we get those visiting team announcers. Still, it seems more often than not that the reporting leans towards the team not named Rams!

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I don't get any early game on Fox...Late games I get Whiners-Cards and Faders-Broncos...Really glad I have a good stream or I'd almost never see the Rams without going to an out-of-the-comfort-of-my-recliner location...

I've had to rely on streams for as long as I have known about streams. But I havent missed a Rams game in a long time.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Yeah we can get pretty crazy and stupid but we don't hold a candle to those dudes.

Newsflash for Dallas fans... Dak is a baller. Elliot's still a great RB even if he is a dumb@$$. Their OL is excellent still. They just lost to a young team that is coming together.

Big concern for Dallas is their divisional games. That will determine their season, as there are two good teams there in the Skins and Eagles.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
A mixture of fans from other teams on these posts.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ent-with-35-30-victory-over-cowboys/#comments

Rams make a statement with 35-30 victory over Cowboys
Posted by Charean Williams on October 1, 2017

pft6-e1506889992324.jpg

AP

The Rams entered Sunday’s game with a 2-1 record and an impressive 35.7 points per game average. But their first two victories came against the Colts and the 49ers, so the Rams probably didn’t get the credit due.

But Los Angeles’ victory over the Cowboys — on the road — should send a statement that these aren’t the same ‘ol Rams.

The Rams dominated the second half, overcoming a 24-16 halftime deficit to win 35-30.

Greg Zuerlein kicked seven field goals, which makes him a contender for NFC Special Teams Player of the Week but is the only reason the Cowboys had a chance at the end. The Rams settled for field goals of 49, 44, 44, 30, 28, 43 and 33 yards.

Their only touchdowns were Jared Goff passes to Cooper Kupp for 7 yards and Todd Gurleyfor 53 yards.

Gurley was the game’s star with 23 carries for 121 yards and seven catches for 94 yards and a touchdown.

Goff completed 21 of 36 passes for 255 yards and two touchdowns.

The Cowboys lost only three games all of last season as Dak Prescott and Ezekiel Elliott took the league by storm. They already have lost two games this season, falling to 2-2.

Dallas lost two turnovers, a fumble by Ryan Switzer and an interception by Prescott.

Prescott completed 20 of 35 passes for 252 yards and three touchdowns as well as the interception, and Elliott rushed for 85 yards and a touchdown on 21 carries and caught four passes for 54 yards and a touchdown, but it wasn’t enough.

UPDATE 6:24 P.M. ET: Officials originally ruled Prescott’s turnover a fumble. Statisticians changed it to an interception after the game.
----------
Loved the mental toughness the Rams showed on the final drive. A bad team commits defensive penalties and just gives the other team free yardage and extra chances to win the game.

Gurley’s evolution in the pass game makes him that much harder to stop. He’s an early Offensive Player of the Year candidate. And the Rams offense is no fluke.
---------
The girls are 2-2. When (not if) they lose Zeke, they’ll lose at least 5 more games. Looks like no playoffs for jerry’s girls.
--------
With six field goals by the rams the cowboys are lucky they lost by five points!
--------
Seven field goals to be exact (a new Rams franchise record), but your point is still valid. Maybe even more valid with seven instead of six.
--------
Love it when the cowboys don’t win games. I hope they were showing Old Jerrah squirming at the Loss.
-----
I don’t care what team you cheer for but the Rams are a legit team. If their defense was half as good as their offense this would be a dangerous playoff caliber team IMO.
------
Makes me wonder how lousy a coach fisher really was
------
Good teams win close games
-------
I’ve never been a “fire Garrett” Cowboys fan but I’m starting to think it’s time for a change. All year they’ve lacked any fire. They are lucky to have won the Arizona game, 1-3 is way closer to how they’ve actually looked. The only thing I can hope is that last year was a cake walk and they lost game one of the playoffs. Maybe this year a little adversity is good.

The Rams on the other hand are legit. Big mental toughness to hang around and take advantage. They are looking good.
--------
Much as I dislike the Rams they are for real
-------
Total letdown after a dominant first half. The defense struggled but the real culprit was a predictable,conservative plan on offense by Linehan in the second half. Give props to Rams on game played really well, but Cowboys coaches disappointed on adjusting at both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball.
-------
The Rams were one of the most boring teams to watch over the last 13 years. All 4 games they have played so far have been exciting. Win or lose, i like to watch exciting football. I wonder if any of the 18 million people in L.A. realize they have a decent team.
-------
I enjoy it when teams I dislike lose. Today has been a very enjoyable day so far!
---------
This new guy is a good coach. Good coaches make solid adjustments after the half and he did
---------
I remember when McVay was hired, the consensus comment by people here was a dumb for hiring a coach so young. Sean McVay is quickly proving that he is one of if not the brightest offensive minds in the league, but will be a great head coach for years to come.

He has Goff easily playing as a top 10 possibly even as a top 5 quarterback. Todd Gurley is neck to neck with Kareem Hunt for best running back. The Rams went from averaging 13 points per game last year to scoring 35+ in 3 out of 4 games this year. It’s early and a lot can change but I have McVay as my early favorite for Coach of the Year
--------
Slow your roll.Not saying they are bad, but they played 3 bad defenses. Only time will tell, but colts, 9ers, and cowboys defense are all trash.
--------
The rams look good but they will be exposed by good defenses. The cowboys have terrible coaching. The nfc east is plagued with terrible coaches.
-------
Not saying Rams aren’t legit but temper it a bit because they were 3-1 last year to start the season and ended up 4-12.
---------
That’s true but last year they scored 63 total points in that 3-1 start. This year they’ve already scored 142. When you can score like that winning feels a lot more sustainable.
---------
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/01/jerry-jones-wade-phillips-made-the-difference/

Jerry Jones: Wade Phillips made the difference

The Rams found something at halftime. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones gives all the credit to Rams defensive coordinator Wade Phillips for whatever it was.

The Cowboys scored 24 points in the first half, six in the second half. They gained 287 yards in the first half, 153 in the second half. They had 14 first downs in the first half, eight in the second half. They converted 5-of-7 third downs in the first half, 2-of-7 in the second half.

It added up to a 35-30 loss for the Cowboys.

“I want to give Wade Phillips his due,” Jones said. “They came back in and made adjustments. We know they have good players. They drafted high, and they drafted well. Against a lesser crew, we could have come back better or we could have shut the door on them in the half there. This is a big win for the Los Angeles Rams. It’s a hurtful loss for us.”

Phillips was the Cowboys head coach from 2007 to the middle of the 2010 season, going 34-22, twice leading the Cowboys to the playoffs, and earning a contract extension after the 2009 season. But Jones fired Phillips and replaced him with Jason Garrett after the team’s 1-7 start in 2010.

Sunday marked the first time since his firing that Phillips had played the Cowboys.

“Wade Phillips was the difference out here today,” Jones said. “He did an outstanding job. I just think we’re playing good defenses. Now is that enough? Of course not. We’re sick. We’re really sick that we lost the game.”
---------
Wade Phillips had zero to do with the secondary being a piece of you-know-what. All the youth on thi team is going to make for along season Cowboy fans.

And I’m still not sold on Dak. 20 of 36 for 252 and 3TDs looks half decent, but it’s the missed throws that make me shake my head. I’ve missed Tony since last year. More and more, Dak looks like a guy who isn’t good enough. This dates back to last year. Maybe he’ll improve, but I don’t recall “accuracy’ being a very coachable trait.

And why is Zeke only getting the ball 21 times? You need to run him into the ground. At least 30 carries. You have to establish tempo, but there’s zero patience with the play-calling and it’s losing games.

Next week Packers 20 Cowboys 7
You heard it here first.
--------
I don’t know what game Jerry was watching, but Sean Lee made the difference in this game. More accurately, the lack of Sean Lee.

Durant made 2 plays similar to what Lee would have done all game, but that was it.
---------
Still waiting for all the pundits who kept saying the Rams would suck to crawl out of their basements and explain why anyone should listen to them.
---------
Have to admit I didn’t see this coming.
----------
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...y-has-career-day-in-living-up-to-his-promise/

Todd Gurley has career day in living up to his promise

pft11-e1506903846471.jpg

AP

Running back Todd Gurley vowed a week ago the Rams would “whoop up” on the Cowboys. When asked after the Rams’ 35-30 victory if Los Angeles had lived up to his promise, Gurley laughed.

“We didn’t quite whoop up on them,” Gurley told Jori Epstein of the Dallas Morning News. “But we got the win. We got the win, and it wasn’t just any win. It’s America’s Team. Everybody was watching.”

Maybe the Rams’ five-point victory didn’t qualify as a “whooping,” but Gurley definitely put a “whooping” on the Dallas defense.

He had 121 rushing yards and 94 receiving yards, with the 215 yards from scrimmage the most of his three-year career. He became the first Rams player with 200-plus yards from scrimmage since Dec. 12, 2008, when Steven Jackson had 215 yards from scrimmage against Atlanta.

“We have a lot of guys who can do a lot of things,” said Gurley, who had a 53-yard receiving touchdown. “Tavon [Austin], he is a mini-running back now, I guess I am a mini-receiver.

“Just to be able to have that diversity in our offense and being able to do pass, run, pass, run. That means a lot for us.”

Cowboys weakside linebacker Sean Lee didn’t play Sunday, but defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli refused to make excuses. Instead, he credited Gurley.

“Hell of a player,” Marinelli said. “We knew that going into it. We knew this guy is a terrific back, and we’ve got to play our gaps. We got knocked out of gaps. Give them credit.”
--------
PFTs prognosticators 0-3 on this game. Guess those “lousy” Rams aren’t quite as bad as all the armchair experts on here thought.
-------
Why won’t anyone say it? They finally got rid of a horrible coach in fisher and now we are seeing what the rams can really do
--------
Now time to take the Seahawks to the woodshed.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...rt-fall-to-los-angeles-rams-35-30-final-score

Cowboys blow fast start, fall to Rams 35-30
Despite playing very well early, the Cowboys made a few key errors that wound up costing them the game.
by Tom Ryle

usa_today_10320949.0.jpg

Tim Heitman-USA TODAY Sports

It should not have been close at all. After leading by as much as 13 points early, the Dallas Cowboys managed to get badly outplayed in the second half to lose to the Los Angeles Rams by a final score of 35-30. Despite some early success, the Cowboys’ defense, missing Sean Lee, seemed to wear down at the same time the Rams’ offense began to find its footing.

And parallel to this, the Dallas offense, which had been excellent in the first half, suddenly began to struggle, unable to convert third downs. Things were sealed when Dak Prescott tried to convert a third and nine, with the team down by five, only to have it tipped and intercepted at Dallas’ own 29 yard line. Although the Cowboys were able to hold them to a field goal, it made the lead eight points, and with less than ten minutes left in the game, there was just not enough time for Dallas to come back.

They nearly did, with a quick drive leading to a James Hanna touchdown, but a two point conversion was wiped out by a holding call on Travis Frederick, that FOX color commentator Daryl Johnston flatly stated was in error.

Then the defense just could not find a way to stop the Rams’ attack, letting them move the ball and eat clock while looking at that two point deficit on the scoreboard. The Rams would add one more field goal, their sixth of the game, to push the score to the final margin.

The game ended on a fourth down play where Ezekiel Elliott could not get to the first down marker to keep a drive to take the lead and win alive, but it came up just short, which largely described the entire game for Dallas.

The first half was almost completely dominated by the Cowboys, but the team should have had a much bigger lead than the 24-16 margin they took into the locker room. Special teams miscues gave the Rams 10 points. First, a long kickoff return put them almost immediately into field goal range.

Then Ryan Switzer muffed a punt, setting up an easy touchdown pass for Jared Goff. The Dallas defense also played too soft just before halftime, letting the Rams push the ball into range for another field goal.

But otherwise, it was nothing but good things for the Cowboys in the first 30 minutes. Dallas scored on every possession. starting with a field goal after the opening kickoff, then putting up touchdowns on their next three possessions. Dak Prescott was again very efficient, completing 11 of 15 passes, including two touchdowns. And he set the tone right out of the gate, competing a 36 yard pass to Dez Bryant on the first snap of the game.

Ezekiel Elliott took no time establishing himself, getting a fifteen yard carry on the first series, and accumulating a total of 96 yards running and receiving, including two touchdowns, one on the ground and one through the air. Alfred Morris had the play of the half with a 70 yard run to set up one of the Cowboys touchdowns, but almost as impressive was Prescott taking a hit from Aaron Donald and just shaking it off to escape and find Bryant for a first down completion.

Dallas totally dominated the stats, with a total yards gained advantage of 287 to 131, and a time of possession edge of 18 minutes exactly to 12.

Dallas felt like it was in complete control, but the mistakes in the kicking game really kept Los Angeles in the game. And the Cowboys defense was fairly quiet, with no sacks or takeaways. They did manage to force the Rams to settle for field goals repeatedly, and Goff had to get rid of the ball repeatedly under some heavy pressure.

But the failure to deliver a knockout blow early let Los Angeles stay around, and when the Cowboys’ offense went cold in the third quarter, the Rams put up 10 unanswered points to take their first lead of the game at 26-24. The go-ahead score was a 53 yard Todd Gurley reception that fully exploited the depleted secondary and linebacking corps of the Cowboys. Lee’s absence was likely the most significant.

There was a general letdown by the defense, which had played so well the previous week. Although Demarcus Lawrence was credited with one sack when he knocked the ball loose on one play, the Cowboys just were not able to get to Goff effectively.

And he began to find his rhythm as the game progressed just as the Dallas defense seemed to be wearing down. At the same time, Prescott and the offense seemed to get out of sorts in the third quarter, unable to convert third downs and repeatedly giving the Rams the ball back.

There was a definite lack of consistency in the second half for Dallas. Had they not made those mistakes on special teams in the first half, they would likely have been able to overcome them, but they let Los Angeles accumulate just too many points early, and then could not find a way to stop them often enough.

It was a hugely disappointing end to the game after such a promising start. For a half, the Cowboys looked like they had solved their basic issues. But inconsistency was their eventual downfall.
--------
Rams are a good team but come on, we should’ve been able to beat them. What a stinging loss.
-------
Linehan needs to go...
--------
From what I could gather, Gurley gashed us and Goff took advantage.

Lee at least kills some key runs
--------
Wade Phillips > Scott Linehan

One team made great adjustments at half, the other did nothing… and made no adjustments through the second half.

Hate to say it, but we’re going to get steamrolled by Green Bay. Lee couldn’t have picked a worse game to miss.

Gotta say I’m happy for Wade though. He’s a world-class defensive coordinator. He was just a victim of the Peter Principle in Dallas.
--------
This is true

Wade is one of the best in the game.

Linehan rode Romo’s coattails. Now it’s apparent that he’s not good at his job.
--------
At least Phillips finally got his well deserved SB ring...

…Of course, he won it AFTER leaving Dallas…
-------
Wade Phillips is a tremendous DC

Linehan is a middle of the road OC. He’s not awful enough to get fired for total incompetency, but not good enough to help his offense get to the next level. He doesn’t add anything to the mix.
It would be super easy to replace Linehan, IMO.
------
I find the praise for Wade this season to be weird, honestly

Rams have given up 400+ yards in 3 of 4 games now. They aint 3-1 because of Wade’s defense.
--------
The Rams defense is pretty bad this year.

I’m sure he’ll improve it, but so far they suck pretty hard on defense.
---------
Forgot to mention Zeke Elliott...

Poor conditioning, sucking wind after every 2 yard carry, and looks like he’s lacking the same burst and explosion from a year ago.
smh…
---------
I was waiting for his burst

On a couple runs, but it never showed up. Now I am starting to wonder what’s going on
--------
Linehan got comfortable

Wade made adjustments.
--------
ZERO HALF TIME ADJUSTMENTS

Yet again.. the coaching staff fails an overall talented roster. ESPECIALLY on offense, which is something we’re pretty used to at this point after all these years. Just like every single game, the Cowboys come strolling into the stadium with a gameplan and stick to it for all four quarters, whether it’s working (Giants, Cardinals, Rams), or not (Broncos).

Then, when you’re playing a team close like the Rams, their up and coming coach, along with Wade, make a couple adjustments and stop the imaginationless Cowboys while racking up the points.

Unacceptable loss, 100% on JG and Linehan.
--------
Or maybe

just maybe, they made adjustments that the Rams were expecting. They coaches made adjustments last week, but please tell us how you would have done better.

These threads looks like grown men/women throwing fits cause things didn’t turn out their way. Sad
-------
"Doing great fellas. Let's keep doing what we're doing."

~Garrett, at halftime
-------
It's the Rams dude!

Man Wade Philips really wanted that.
Garrett’s offense stinks.
-------
Jerry just saw his team get beat by a rookie head coach for the 2nd time in 3 weeks.
--------
So many blown opportunities.

That blown holding call on the 2 point try sickens me though, and then not giving half the distance on the defensive holding call made it worse. May not have been the deciding factor of the game but it’s pathetic to have such bad officiating at this level.

Props to the Rams though, they are trending way up right now.
------
Hats off to the rams, they wanted it more and stayed with that mentality throughout all the game, Dallas on the other hand stalled in crucial moments and that can’t happen…. Ever…
-------
This game was on the special teams.

Defense got gutted at times but special teams and offense did them no favors.
The Rams kicked 7 FGs
------
Cowboys are simply not a good team

- Offense is badly hot and cold
- Defense just doesn’t make plays
- Cowboys have absolutely zero home field advantage
- Looks like an 8-8 non playoff team as it stands
- The Garrett rebuild simply never moves forward towards championship level. Just need another 7 years of process maybe….
------
I think the difference was the Cowboys’ baby butt soft defense…
-------
4th and 10 and we throw a checkdown?!!

Im beyond pissed right now.
------
Donald beat Martin quickly and Dak had limited options
-------
Our pass rush was in the witness protection program
------
Taco was planted face first so many times.

Geesh Taco sucks.
-------
Damn, from being so optimistic with our D when D Irving comes in next week

to being completely horrified with their performance today. Have to give credit to the Rams, they did have the #1 offense coming in but I thought that our D could hold it down with some pressure on young Goff.

Made him look like Brady today. Im seriously in shock with the effort from the defense especially without Lee. We have serious problems on the defensive front, cant stop the run and consistent pressure
-------
Until shown otherwise

We aren’t a playoff team. Not even close.
-------
Blow this thing up
--------
We are a better team than the Rams, but we aren’t playing like we are right now.
--------
They should have known before the game even started that they would need more than 30 pts to win this one

Rams avg like 35 pts a game, and when Sean Lee doesn’t play, this defense struggles badly.

DAL should have known that Zeke needed to have a big game to help control the clock and keep the Rams offense of the field and that they needed as many points as they could get. They did a good job in the 1st half, and then looked awful in the 2nd half.
------
Out coached and out played.

This was a bad loss in so many ways. I feel we certainly missed Sean Lee but there was so much wrong with this performance. It looks like we just have to dig in and try to make the play-offs. For me special teams were bad. Tackling was poor again and the offense just crumbled in the second half. I’m moving on before I become depressed.
---------
As bad as we are

we should have won that game. At least the hype about our defense can stop now.

Really pathetic to be dropping sure INTs (hello, Brown) and easy first downs (hello, Terrance). Switzer turned this game around for the Rams. We were running away with the game in the first half until he gifts them a redzone possession. We went from dominating offensively and on the scoreboard to losing. Definitely a bitter pill to swallow.
---------
Is it time to start concerning ourselves with the state of the offensive line or was the Rams defensive line that good yet again?
-------
Aaron Donald is a problem

Honestly we’ve played 4 good-to-decent DLs this year.
------
The Rams beat us at our game. They looked like what we were and should still be (maybe we are but we haven't shown it yet this year).

They ran the ball at will, they used the RB as an effective passing option, they made little to no mistakes, and controlled the clock. That is our recipe. The D played okay despite the score. They played like we should expect considering the injuries, considering the fact that the Rams are the number 1 scoring offense in the NFL right now, and considering we have so many young players that need to learn to gel.

We lost because we did not execute on offense in the second half. We haven’t executed on offense for a full game yet this year. We need to figure it out real fast, cause 25% of the year is gone.
I think they can do it, but it’s not going to be easy.
-------
except not every team has a Todd Gurley.
--------
NFL.com front page

Says how the rams beat the boys. Looks like a holding call pictured plain as day lol

https://www.nfl.com/videos/highlights
------
Heck, same record as the Patriots

And their defense looks worse than ours!
--------
They have a coach and QB with SuperBowl rings on their toes
------
The defense was about as intimidating as the Teletubbies
-------
Wade is a good DC, struggles are to be expected.
-------
A number of reasons for the loss

The defense is the biggest one. We just really suck on that side of the ball. The ability to run the ball at will last year kept the D’ off the field and helped mask the lack of talent on defense. This year, the OL isn’t as good and it’s forcing the defense into more situations where they have to make stops, and they just can’t.

Special teams was terrible today too. I don’t know what Switzer was thinking on the muffed punt and the Rams had a long kickoff return as well. The play-calling continues to be suspect too, on both sides of the ball. I don’t know what Rod was doing at the end of the game. Everyone knew the Rams were going to run every down and it looked like Dallas didn’t load up for the run at all.

Disappointed in the loss. This looks like an 8-8 or 9-7 team to be honest. I really think Philly wins the division this year.
-------
I woudln’t say Dez is on decline he schooled Trumaine Johnson.
--------
Cowboys had enough to win at the end of the first half

The special teams were why the Rams had a chance to come back in the first place, Linehan needs to start moving Dak around, he’s being forced to create with his feet anyway.

Overall, the team as a whole, the offense with whatever happened in the 3rd quarter, D with the entire 2nd half, Special Teams with the 2 big plays in the first half, did just enough to lose this game
----------
I’m also going to lean a little bit on the fact that the Rams had 10 days to prepare, and the ‘Boys had a short week (which didn’t help). I’m gonna save my panic for after the 49ers game. If we lose to them, I’ll start burning my Cowboys merchandise.
-------
Out coached
--------
Make the playoffs just to get whacked by the Rams in the first round

It’ll be like

All over again
------
Considering he didn't give up 7 sacks to Donald

Not bad
-------
If only we could change that determination to lose

Into the determination to win
---------
Yes. This loss hurts. But to me personally? It isn’t nearly as embarassing as the loss to Denver. The Rams are a great team this year so far. And they were the better team going in and were the better team when they left the field. We hung tough, had a chance to win at the end but couldn’t get it done. It happens.
--------
Everyone get’s there a** kicked, but it takes a special kind of inept to get your a** kicked while making it look like you are kicking a**, so I think this game is a worse loss
-------
Re the Rams being a great team so far this year, give me a break. They beat an 0-3 team, a 1-2 team and, until today, of course….lost to the only winning team they played (wash). And washington made them look pedestrian on offense.

We lost to a team we need to beat if we really are a SB contender. I guess expectations need to change….by a lot
-------
I still don't see your point on how this team is a mess offensively. We put up over 400 yards of offense on the Rams today and 30 points.

And the Rams are what their record says they are. You can’t say Philly is a team to beat when they haven’t played much of anyone either. I don’t understand your thought process at all. I really don’t.
--------
When it’s 4th and 10 the ball simply has to be thrown beyond the markers but letting a guy try to catch the ball 2 yards past the line of scrimmage and run for the rest is inexcusable with a defender on the same side of the field never mind about six as the Rams had. Someone needs to be benched or fired depending on whether it was a players decision or a coaching decision. It’s simply inexcusable!
---------
Way to go Marinelli with a shout out to Switzer for the assist. Out coached and out played.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Cowboys fans are hilarious. Bitching about no calls, when they got away with multiple of them.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I lol whenever I see a Dallas fan whine about the refs.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Props to some of them admitting they were wrong and we're better than they thought. Some still whine about officials in spite of clearly being the favored team by them. And then there's a special kind of stupid like this.

Re the Rams being a great team so far this year, give me a break. They beat an 0-3 team, a 1-2 team and, until today, of course….lost to the only winning team they played (wash). And washington made them look pedestrian on offense.

We lost to a team we need to beat if we really are a SB contender. I guess expectations need to change….by a lot
They've beat the now 0-4 Giants and the barely 2-2 Cardinals that easily could also be 0-4. They've lost to the only 2 teams they've played with a winning record. Hey pot meet kettle.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...ys-disappointing-loss-to-the-los-angeles-rams

10 thoughts on the Cowboys disappointing loss to the Rams
Things were going great until they weren’t.
by DannyPhantom

As great as it feels to watch our Dallas Cowboys win a football game, it’s equally disheartening when we watch them fall apart. What started out to be a fun game to watch, turned into frustration when the offense suddenly stopped working and the defense gradually allowed the lead to erode away.

The aftermath left fans with a disappointing 35-30 defeat as we watched the Cowboys fall to 2-2 on the year. The Rams offense has been really good this year and didn’t miss a beat against this sometimes-suspect Cowboys defense.

That leaves us with a lot to think about this week, but here are 10 thoughts on Sunday’s game.

1. Tale of two halves for the offense
The Cowboys offense played well in the first half, scoring on all four of their possessions.

But after scoring 24 points in the first half, the Cowboys would only score once in the second half when Dak Prescott hooked up with James Hanna for a 28-yard touchdown pass. It was the first touchdown of Hanna’s career and would be the last score of the game for the Cowboys.

It’s frustrating for two reasons. First, it’s clear this defense has problems and relies heavily on the strong play of the offense. And second, the offense at times isn’t up for the task.

2. Heavy dose of Zeke early
Ezekiel Elliott started this game like a man on a mission. It was almost like there was no tomorrow. He would finish the game with 21 carries for 85 yards and 54 yards receiving. He would also score two touchdowns on the day. Zeke would show some nice table manners after he got fed on a screen pass.

View: https://twitter.com/FOXSports/status/914547637755322368?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bloggingtheboys.com%2F2017%2F10%2F2%2F16392878%2F10-thoughts-on-the-dallas-cowboys-disappointing-loss-to-the-los-angeles-rams

It was great times.

But when you fill up on treats too early, it doesn’t leave much room for much else. The Cowboys running attack disappeared in the second half.

View: https://twitter.com/DavidMooreDMN/status/914606170626772992?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bloggingtheboys.com%2F2017%2F10%2F2%2F16392878%2F10-thoughts-on-the-dallas-cowboys-disappointing-loss-to-the-los-angeles-rams

3. No answer for Gurley
With no Sean Lee in the game, it was no secret that the Cowboys defense had their hands full when it came to stopping Rams running back Todd Gurley. He’s been a big part of the Rams success this season and was recently named the Offensive Player of the Month for September.

Gurley started the new month right where he left off as he had 23 carries for 121 yards and added 94 yards receiving on seven catches. With over 200 yards of total yards, that’s just too much Gurley to handle.

No play hurt more than his 53-yard catch over the middle of the field. It was a complete breakdown for the defense. The coverage was terrible, the tackling angles were harrowing. The Cowboys definitely missed having Sean Lee on the field.

4. Not so special, special teams
The Cowboys took an eight point lead into halftime, but it should have been more than that. Ten of the Rams first half points came off of special teams mistakes from the Cowboys. After Dallas scored its first touchdown of the game to give them a 10-3 lead, the warm fuzziness didn’t last long when Rams kickoff returner, Pharoh Cooper, took the ball 66 yards to the Cowboys 35-yard line.

Fortunately, Anthony Brown was able to skate around a block on a bubble screen to tackle Tavon Austin on third down, forcing the Rams to settle for a field goal.

But the defense wasn’t so lucky the next time around. The fearless Ryan Switzer muffed a punt and gave the Rams the ball at the Cowboys 18-yard line. Five plays later, the Rams would score a touchdown.

5. Huge escape by Dak
If the Cowboys would have won this game, people would be talking about the great escape of Prescott. At the time, it was a big play in the game. Instead of getting sacked on third down and having to give the ball back to the Rams, Dak managed to stay on his feet and find Dez Bryantin the middle of the field. The drive would continue and the Cowboys would score a touchdown six plays later.

His Houdini-like escape looked awfully familiar for Cowboys fans.

View: https://twitter.com/dmn_cowboys/status/914561278525440001?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bloggingtheboys.com%2F2017%2F10%2F2%2F16392878%2F10-thoughts-on-the-dallas-cowboys-disappointing-loss-to-the-los-angeles-rams

6. No pressure on Goff
Technically speaking, DeMarcus Lawrence sack streak is still alive as he was credited with a sack when he brushed by Jared Goff, causing him to lose control of the ball. It was a nice play and resulted in an 11-yard loss.

But that was all she wrote when it came to putting pressing on the quarterback. There has been a narrative going around that the offensive lines that the Cowboys have faced thus far has had a lot to do with their pass rushing success. The Rams group would serve as the first legitimate test for the defensive line. If that is the case, the Cowboys didn’t pass the test.

Goff had too much time in the pocket and it allowed him to make some nice throws to convert third down plays.

The good news is David Irving comes back now, but we were hoping he’d be coming back to a pass rushing group that was a little more charged up than what we have seen in previous seasons.

7. Limited impact from Jaylon and Taco
Part of being a good fan that is in tune with their team is being honest with yourself. I wouldn’t be abiding by that if I didn’t acknowledge that Jaylon Smith and Taco Charlton were ineffective out there. Smith finished with 10 tackles so it’s not like he was just out there whiffing, but he struggled getting in a position to make a stop.

Small gains turned into larger gains because Smith was slow chasing down the ball carrier. He had trouble shedding blockers and by the time he could get separation, the ball carrier had breezed by him. He ran with heavy feet and any time he contacted an opposing player, he was never in a position to square up and stop him in his tracks. The momentum of the runner always took Smith three extra yards to bring him down.

And he was a complete liability in coverage. Multiple times he was found trying to cover Cooper Kupp. Are you kidding me?

View: https://twitter.com/Marcus_Mosher/status/914673633854967810?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bloggingtheboys.com%2F2017%2F10%2F2%2F16392878%2F10-thoughts-on-the-dallas-cowboys-disappointing-loss-to-the-los-angeles-rams

There were times when the Cowboys defense got the Rams behind the chains, but would allow them to get a big chunk of it back with good runs.

And whenever Charlton was in, he was completely outmatched. He was never able to gain any traction against the Rams left tackle. He would attempt his spin move, come up empty, and that was pretty much the end of what he had to give on the play.

The Cowboys first-round pick has been under a lot of heat due to his lack of production thus far and after this game - it’s only going to get worse. It’s still nothing to get too worked up about, but from what we’ve seen thus far, he hasn’t given fans much to be happy about.

8. Dak misfiring to Dez
Everyone will be talking about the crucial drops that Terrance Williams had. Most notably, was the failed two-point conversion that hit TDub right in the chest. While that incompletion was the most costly, there were several pass attempts to Dez Bryant that came up empty.

The Cowboys have made it clear that they want to use their playmakers more and that means more targets for Dez. Prescott would look for Dez 13 times against the Rams, but only five of them were caught. Bryant did have 98 yards receiving, but there were many times that Prescott was just off with his throws.

It’s easy to forget that these two don’t have the years of chemistry that Dez had with Tony Romo, but at times this year, the second-year quarterback has struggled connecting with his star receiver. Bryant did had a drop that went right through his hands so it wasn’t all on Prescott.

These two need to get more on the same page, especially if Bryant is going to keep getting double-digit targets.

9. Losing the turnover differential will get you every time
We are going to look back on this game and point to a lot of different reasons that caused the Cowboys to lose. When the offense scores over 30 points, you would expect them to win. When the ground attack has 189 yards, averaging seven yards a carry, that looks like a nice recipe for a Cowboys win. But if you can’t take care of the ball and can’t find ways to take it away, it’s really hard to win football games.

The Cowboys had two turnovers - the muffed punt by Switzer and the Prescott interception when he got hit as he was throwing the ball. What made matters worse is that the Cowboys had opportunities to take the ball away themselves, but came up empty.

On the Lawrence phantom sack, the ball was right there for the taking, but they Rams were able to fall on it. Then, Anthony Brown had a chance to pick off a pass in the fourth quarter when Goff just floated a duck down the sideline, but Brown wasn’t able to hang on. Either one of these turnovers would have given the Cowboys the ball in Rams territory, which would have added some much needed points.

10. We had an ALF sighting
Nobody really is going to care much about a player who had just two carries and plays sparingly. But when Alfred Morris burst through the hole for 70 yards, it not only set up a touchdown for Zeke, but it also gave fans a little breathing room should the team be without Elliott for an extended amount of time.

With news expected to be coming shortly regarding whether or not Elliott’s six-game suspension injunction will stand, having a good insurance policy like Morris is a plus.

Make no mistake about it, Morris is no Elliott. The dive-for-the-pylon athletic playmaking ability of Zeke is not replaceable. But Morris still knows how to get skinny and find those creases. The Cowboys running game is not in shambles if Zeke is not available.
---------
The only thing that could stop the Rams yesterday
Was Jeff Fishers offense.
---------
ANyone else notice
on the Dak spin play that Aaron Donald beat both Tyron Smith and Jonathan Cooper?
------
Donald is a flat out beast…

Best 3-technique in the game right now…
-------
11 drives for the Rams — 9 scores
--------
The defense was a leaky faucet yesterday, and were gashed on several plays. That is not a good o-line, and the run defense was absolutely dominated. It was a dumpster fire of a performance. Sure, the offense was bad in the second half, but the defense was even worse. How everyone cannot see that is just mind-boggling.
------
Those first half special teams screw ups gifting the Rams 10 cheap points

The Rams scored those 10 points on 10 plays and 27 yards and under ~1:22 TOP. The rest of the first half the Rams had 22 plays, 104 yards, 10:38 TOP and 6 points scored.

The trajectory of the game took the turn it did when Special Teams failed to cover a kick off, and muffed a punt in the first half.
---------
We need to talk about Frederick, if you watched the game, Aaron Donald and Michael Brockers were destroying him and Cooper all game
--------
I would be shocked if the Rams are an 11 win team

they’re the definition of an 8-8 team so far imo – great on one side of the ball but horrible on the other. This was a game we should have won.
---------
The fact that I don’t even know which side of the ball you’re talking about shows they could be for real. The Rams are the #1 scoring team in the league so far. And you can never say their defense is bad with the talent they have. Throughout Fisher’s tenure, the defense was always regarded as a really good unit.
-------
Their defense has been terrible

they’ve given up 30+ points and 400+ yards in multiple games. Their last two games were 41-39 and 35-30. Does that seem like an 11-5 team to you? It sure doesn’t to me.
-------

View: https://twitter.com/Marcus_Mosher/status/914838941576069121?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.bloggingtheboys.com%2F2017%2F10%2F2%2F16392878%2F10-thoughts-on-the-dallas-cowboys-disappointing-loss-to-the-los-angeles-rams

--------
It goes back, as it always does, to the coaches. Look at what a difference Sean McVay has been for the LA Rams! I’m afraid that as long as Garrett, Linehan, and Marinelli are the primary coaches in Dallas, we’ll have continued mediocrity, if we’re lucky.
--------
35 points on 2 TDs unreal weird stat

They attacked our LBs yesterday as they should have.
--------
Just from what I've re-watched so far

Rams made it a point to flood zones, and especially LB zones – with receivers to clear area for TE and especially Gurley. Worked repeatedly, moreso against Durant than anyone. Durant can’t run. I really didn’t want him back on the team. And he’s playing weakside linebacker.

So zones get cleared, Rams have an easy time getting someone into open space – other zone players sometimes expecting help where there is none anymore. It’s even worse when they playaction – linebackers are even more out of position, made worse by the fact that the Rams had no problem running against a box of 5 or 6 defenders.

Players not executing is a problem. Coaches out-schemed is a problem. These things are not mutually exclusive. Lotta of things going wrong right now – Getting back injured linebackers and Irving seems very necessary.
---------
I agree. McVay found the weakness and exploited it masterfully
--------
Run defense was much worse in the 2nd half

First half Gurley ran 10 times for 41 yards – 4.1 avg
Second half Gurley ran 13 times for 80 yards – 6.15 avg

I haven’t tracked T. Austin’s runs and Goff’s passing attack yet, but it seemed LAR were getting far more yards per play in the 2nd half.
--------
The final score flatters the Cowboys. The Rams kicked 6 field goals.

It was a much bigger loss than the score indicated.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We fans are funny! The cowpoke fans insist the first half was real and the second was an aberration. Rams fans feel the opposite is the truth.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
We fans are funny! The cowpoke fans insist the first half was real and the second was an aberration. Rams fans feel the opposite is the truth.
Yeah, every fanbase is the same

Overlook the bad when you win
Overlook the good When you lose

Thing is, for me, eleven possessions and nine, NINE scores

They're lucky they didn't lose by twenty, with the visitors dropping a "fiddy-burger" on them

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Stop the run and force Goff to make a perfect pass

This is not a good plan v. the Rams.

If i'm the Cowboys i'm making Goff beat me and not Gurley.

You got your wish.

The Rams throw mostly slants, outs, cross out of shotgun or under center and mostly 11 personnel

Even when their in 21 personnel they throw short, their run sets up their deep pass on play action otherwise its all fades

So they throw mostly SEVERAL different things then LOL.

What a mostly stupid post.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
This is not a good plan v. the Rams.

You got your wish.

So they throw mostly SEVERAL different things then LOL.

What a mostly stupid post.
lol.
Well, to some people, if we win the Super Bowl, it would only be because the other 31 teams weren't very good.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

My opinion? Both were real. Dallas has more talent. We're better coached. That's why they won the first half, and we won the second half.

…..

Legend
My opinion? Both were real. Dallas has more talent. We're better coached. That's why they won the first half, and we won the second half.

I bet the talent is closer than a passing opinion. You line our guys up position by position against their guys and the debate for who has more talent would be pretty close. Dallas lives off hype and stories of the past.

One example would be the offensive line. Dallas supposedly has thus great offensive line. But who balled out last night? The Rams O'Line outplayed them by a pretty good margin.

Our guys just have less time together. Week by week, that's going to be less of a difference.