What Cardinals Fans Are Saying

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Name
Tom
Are you sure about this? I'm guessing that most Cardinals fans would want this to happen at a minimum. The man will be 36 in December and seems to be a bit on the brittle side as it is.

Two ACL tears, shoulder and rib injuries, plus the usual wear and tear that happens to all QB's would seem to indicate that against a team leading the league in sacks and known for their ferocity on defense, that a game plan similar to what the Skins pulled on the Rams would be wiser.

Get the ball out super quick with short passes and lean on the running game. In truth, I hope that Palmer takes quite a few shots deep because it increases the chance of more sacks and INT's.

Ideally, no. We don't want Palmer to take the hit, but he will. His ACL tear was caused by the prior repair using a cadaver ACL that had worn out. There was a good video addressing this topic last week.

Palmer is in the best shape of his career.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
We have more than a trio: Fitz/Brown/Floyd/Brown/Gresham/Fells. All have made plays; and we're not even discussing David Johnson, who looks like a dynamic threat at RB. From what NFL.com stated before last week, His 55 yard catch and run is the single fastest play of any NFL player thus far this season.

Also thrown in Chris Johnson, and this offense is stacked; and has outscored Pittsburgh by FIFTY POINTS through three games.

Well, Pittsburgh was averaging 30 plus till we held them to 12....

And as others have said, the teams you've played are horrible.
We beat Seattle and despite our two losses, those games were ours to win. We just didn't do it.

The Cardinals are far more consistent than we are... but we just haven't fired on all cylinders yet, that's just how we start under Fisher... but when we do hit our stride, we can beat anybody.
Especially division teams.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Ideally, no. We don't want Palmer to take the hit, but he will. His ACL tear was caused by the prior repair using a cadaver ACL that had worn out. There was a good video addressing this topic last week.

Palmer is in the best shape of his career.
I heard his new ACL was cut from a screaming, 14 year old choir boy. Is that true?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
\\

Not true. We have played one common opponent, the San Francisco 49ers. We clobbered them. 47-7. And our defense didn't give up all the yards to Kaepernick either...

Just a tip, don't respond "not true" when repeating what someone said. Yes, they had one common opponent. We're talking about offenses. Their offense scored 43. Yours scored 31. Fact.

I take our RB depth over their RB depth (not a fan of the corpse of DeAngelo Williams), and TE isn't much of a difference, Fells and Gresham have both played very well.

Of course, YOU do. Quality > Quantity. Nobody cares who has more depth. Pittsburgh has a top 5 HB. You don't.

John Brown is significantly better than Markus Wheaton, as is Michael Floyd over DHB.

Le'Veon Bell is significantly better than what you're lining up at HB. Antonio Brown is significantly better than Larry Fitzgerald (at this point in his career). Heath Miller is better by a decent margin than what you have a TE.

Pittsburgh has a better group of weapons. Plus, I'm unbiased. You are not.

Cardncub

Rookie
We did it against the Steelers who have a guy far better than John Brown. Just saying. The Rams bottled up the Steelers' big plays. Because they couldn't run on us effectively. Same with Seattle. Washington had a couple big plays through the air because they could run on us.

If you want the big plays, you're going to have to run on the defense. Otherwise, they're going to sit back and smother the intermediate and long passing plays.(especially if your OL can't give Palmer ample time for these plays to develop)

Steelers have 1 good receiver. The Cardinals have 5.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

mtbu.gif

Yea, and the Rams have 12. :LOL:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

Um...Wheaton, Bryant, and Coates are pretty good receivers, man. I'd kill to have any of them right now.

Ringless

UDFA
"So how are we going to slow down Donald? He has been more dominant than Watt's best 2 week span ever with a +18 rating (best in history) What if he plays as well as he has so far this season? That would be the most single dominant lineman in history right now.

According to Pro Football Focus, the numbers confirm that notion.
Through two games, Donald has a +18 grade, more than double the best mark any defensive tackle has posted through two games.
In short, he's on pace to "crush the best grade we have ever seen from a defensive interior player."

What's scary is that Donald is even outplaying J.J. Watt at the same point in his career.
Per ESPN: "The highest grade Watt has ever had at this point in a season is a plus-17.3..."
It's been exhausted over and over how great Donald is as a player, and even scarier to think how dominant he can be."

This was my comment on the Cardinals board. First of all I am a big believer in not thinking that any game is a gimme. Especially division games. Every team in the league has talent. While I do believe we have more than the Rams I'm not blind to the face the Rams defense is stacked. As I told the 49ers fans before our game with them, I feel we have our own weaknesses. Whether the Rams expose them is yet to be seen. I've spent a lot of time rooting for a franchise that doesnt exactly have a history of winning. I always feel like I am waiting for the other shoe to drop and I think you guys can relate to that.

This year I feel that shoe just happens to be the interior of our defense. I know a lot of our fanbase is excited and rightfully so. However we have a below average LB corp especially ILB, and our NT situation is questionable. I don't see a way to consistently get to the QB without always asking a ton of our DB's. I feel that at some point the wheels will come off a little and our defense will be exposed for what I believe it to be and end up as a #15 or so ranked defense. I think it is easy to get caught up in the excitement but to me there are red flags. I could be wrong.

Against the Rams, my concerns are that no doubt the team is a great defensive team. A very physical team that is youthful and full of excitement. There is not a team in the league that can stop them from getting to or pressuring the QB. This week will be no different. My biggest concern is that our offense is a big play big rewards aggressive offense that relies on a lot of slow developing plays. That just wont work against a DL like the Rams.

I am not too familiar with the defense you guys try and run. Is it a lot of press coverage? I'd have to assume that we would be trying to run a lot of quick plays, or get our RB's out into space to try and make some plays. I think ultimately we will see a different game plan from our Offense than we've seen all year. I think our Defense should be able to go toe to toe with your Offense which is why I don't feel the need to go into details.

I do think we win this if we score 20. SO I'll go with 20-13

Last edited:

DVontel

Rookie
Um...Wheaton, Bryant, and Coates are pretty good receivers, man. I'd kill to have any of them right now.
I definitely agree with Bryant(best receiver in the game) & Wheaton is a decent WR. Coates is still raw, IMO. I wouldn't say he's a good NFL WR. Inconsistent hands & raw route runner, very athletic though. If anything, I'm not even sure he has even caught a pass yet.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
"So how are we going to slow down Donald? He has been more dominant than Watt's best 2 week span ever with a +18 rating (best in history) What if he plays as well as he has so far this season? That would be the most single dominant lineman in history right now.

According to Pro Football Focus, the numbers confirm that notion.
Through two games, Donald has a +18 grade, more than double the best mark any defensive tackle has posted through two games.
In short, he's on pace to "crush the best grade we have ever seen from a defensive interior player."

What's scary is that Donald is even outplaying J.J. Watt at the same point in his career.
Per ESPN: "The highest grade Watt has ever had at this point in a season is a plus-17.3..."
It's been exhausted over and over how great Donald is as a player, and even scarier to think how dominant he can be."

This was my comment on the Cardinals board. First of all I am a big believe in not thinking that any game is a gimme. Especially division games. Every team in the league has talent. While I do believe we have more than the Rams I'm not blind to the face the Rams defense is stacked. As I told the 49ers fans before our game with them, I feel we have our own weaknesses. Whether the Rams expose them is yet to be seen. I've spent a lot of time rooting for a franchise that doesnt exactly have a history of winning. I always feel like I am waiting for the other shoe to drop and I think you guys can relate to that. This year I feel that shoe just happens to be the interior of our defense. I know a lot of our fanbase is excited and rightfully so. However we have a below average LB corp, and our NT situation is questionable. I feel that at some point the wheels will come off a little and our defense will be exposed for what I believe it to be and end up as a #15 or so ranked defense. I think it is easy to get caught up in the excitement but to me their are red flags. I could be wrong.

Against the Rams, my concerns are that no doubt the team is a great defensive team. A very physical team that is youthful and full of excitement. There is not a team in the league that can stop them from getting to or pressuring the QB. This week will be no different. My biggest concern is that our offense is a big play big rewards aggressive offense that relies on a lot of slow developing plays. That just wont work against a DL like the Rams. I am not too familiar with the defense you guys try and run. Is it a lot of press coverage? I'd have to assume that we would be trying to run a lot of quick plays, or get our RB's out into space to try and make some plays. I think ultimately we will see a different game plan from our Offense than we've seen all year. I think our Defense should be able to go toe to toe with your Offense which is why I don't feel the need to go into details.

Thanks for coming here and sharing your thoughts. We like discussing with opposing team fans.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That just wont work against a DL like the Rams. I am not too familiar with the defense you guys try and run. Is it a lot of press coverage? I'd have to assume that we would be trying to run a lot of quick plays, or get our RB's out into space to try and make some plays. I think ultimately we will see a different game plan from our Offense than we've seen all year. I think our Defense should be able to go toe to toe with your Offense which is why I don't feel the need to go into details.

Very little press coverage. Here's a great breakdown of what we do on D:
[Why the Rams play so much off/soft coverage] When you bring as much pressure (blitzes) as Williams is known to, you are risking giving up the home run by playing press coverage.

The concept is to force them to get to ball out fast. Underneath and fly to the ball. This is the very foundation of his defense. They work on it more than any other facet of their defense.

If you play press coverage and are isolated in man coverage, all it takes is one missed chuck at the line of scrimmage and the QB throws a quick fade and its bye bye.

Whether you agree with the the concept or not, this is the reason they do it. Completions are not the thing that matters. It's closing on the receiver and tackling that is the key to limiting the damage. When they went on their run last year over the last 8 games of the season, they didn't change the design, they improved (dramatically) their tackling.

You force them to throw underneath and jump the route. Johnson already has one INT from this design. And Jenkins is one of the best at it. It's also where they miss Gaines. As he may have been the best of the CBs at reading and closing on the receiver.

More often than not, the are going to be in some sort of zone coverage when they utilize this concept. So playing tight "in your face" coverage is asking for trouble. It's nothing more that "risk vs. reward".

Here's my own explanation that I gave Steeler fans on another board:
jrry32 said:
Since the talk has died down in here, I thought I'd give a brief explanation of what the Rams do on defense. I think everyone is familiar with Gregg Williams and his love of blitzing. He also has a lot of pre-snap movement and disguise when it comes to his defense. When it comes to coverage, we play a bend but don't break system.

Our guys typically play off with a decent sized cushion to force teams to throw underneath our coverage. The logic is if we do our job and tackle, we force teams to go on a long sustained drive where one mistake (like a sack, TFL, fumble, INT) will kill the drive. It can be very effective when we're stopping the run. When teams are gashing us for 5-8 yards on first and second down, it can also be very ineffective. So the one of the biggest keys for the Rams defense will be stopping the run. When our defense forces you into 2nd and long or 3rd and long, they tend to feast. Because the opposing QB has to pick their poison.

They can either throw underneath the coverage and hope their WR/HB/TE can break tackles/make people miss or they can try to wait for a longer developing route to open up down the field giving our DL and the blitzers time to get to the passer.

Obviously, that makes tackling effectively after the offensive player catches it a very key priority. Ben will likely complete a very high percentage of his passes today unless you guys fall behind early and are forced to push the ball down the field.

But completion% won't matter much in the end. If the Rams defense is effective (i.e. they stop the run and tackle well), Ben will be able to complete 70% to 75% of his passes but only for 6-7 YPA and Pittsburgh will struggle to score. If they don't stop the run or don't tackle well, y'all will probably move the ball up and down the field all game long.

The Rams defense can be a bit jekyll and hyde. They have the potential to put the clamps on just about anyone but they also have the potential to get burned. Our guys are still somewhat young and make mistakes (especially our DBs).

Oddly enough, with all the blitzing, you'd think that Gregg Williams's scheme would be "aggressive" but it's actually a paradox. It's an aggressive conservative scheme. Aggressive in the sense that he's constantly bringing pressure and attacking the LOS but conservative in the sense that the Rams still manage to play it safe with a bend but don't break defense that forces teams to sustain drives.

Ringless

UDFA
I see,

That would make sense why there is so much given up between the 20's and why so little in the red-zone.

FRO

Legend
Since it is a divisional good opponent we will probably win. If it were an easy out of division opponent we would lose.

Cardncub

Rookie
It was a joke. I have two cadaver parts in me, and I appreciate them. Don't condescend to me, on our site. And learn to recognize a joke. Would ya?

Really is nothing to joke about. Sorry but the death of someone doesn't seem all that funny.