What Cardinals Fans Are Saying

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
The Cardinals are a very good and balanced team this year. We are 3 - 0 but many say who have they played? If we win on Sunday which seems likely they will still say that. Until we meet and beat teams with a winning record we will be hearing that refrain over and over again.

As for the Rams, I like the Rams and have watched them since the "Fearsome Foursome" days of Merlin Olsen and Deacon Dan Jones. My hope for the Rams is that they get their act together and get a playoff spot. I am tired of seeing the Hawks and Niners dominate this division. Time for some new blood at the top of the division, of course, I hope it is the Cards as #1.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/20...t-louis-rams-theres-history-between-two-teams

Arizona Cardinals vs. St. Louis Rams: Two teams with something in common
By BigRedBilly

GettyImages-93308821.0.jpg

How far back can we trace the history between the Cardinals and the Rams? All the way to October 3, 1937, when the Chicago Cardinals defeated the Cleveland Rams 6-0 in a real thriller at League Park in Ohio. The Big Red went on to win the first four games of the all-time series that now finds the Cardinals leading 36-35(with two memorable ties).

Of course the Rams and the Cardinals have something in common that first became possible when Violet Bidwill moved the world's oldest professional football franchise that became the St. Louis Football Cardinals in 1960. Soon after, future Cardinals president Michael Bidwill was born under the Gateway to the West (well, not literally).

There have been numerous versions of Cardinals/Rams over the the years and both teams have played as home teams in the shadow of the St. Louis Arch (where the Greatest Cardinal Ever played).

The simple way to show the history between the teams would be a list with the Cardinals' won-loss records (or for a complete game-by-game breakdown, click here).

Chicago Cardinals vs. Cleveland Rams (1937-1945) (7-7)
Chicago Cardinals vs. Los Angeles Rams (1946-1958) (5-5-2)
St. Louis Cardinals vs. Los Angeles Rams (1960-1987) (3-10)
Phoenix Cardinals vs. Los Angeles Rams (1988-1993) (4-1)
Arizona Cardinals vs. Los Angeles Rams (1994) (0-1)
Arizona Cardinals vs. St. Louis Rams (1996-Present) (17-11)

Many variations on the same theme which also includes this footage from a preseason contest using an experimental white football for night games— complete with up-close and personal photographers' flashes!

The teams have met once in the postseason (a game we're not going to talk about), and although no championships came through the city of St. Louis for the Cardinals, the team gave many fans a thrill.

Over a three year span ('74-'76), the Big Red went 31-11 while establishing a trend that showed itself once again ...

usa-today-4665180.0.jpg

... on an overcast day at the L.A. Colosseum in 1976, when true to their name, the Cardiac Cardinals who trailed 21-6 in the second half, methodically went about their business (as if it was scripted) to claim the 30-28 victory with a Jim Bakken field goal at the gun over the Los Angeles Rams.

This game also saw Merlin Olsen (Father Murphy) walk into the Cardinals huddle, wave his finger and say bad things to Conrad Dobler, then walk off the field never to return. Why do I remember this Cardinals/Rams game? I was there.

Connections

Three Hall of Fame inductees played for both teams in the past — Dick 'Night Train' Lane, Ollie Matson and Aeneas Williams. Another former great expected to join that list would be Kurt Warner.

Other players that donned both Cardinals and Rams uniforms include Ernie Jones, Eric Hill, Kwamie Lassiter, Corey Chavous and Chris Chandler, while local favorite Ron Wolfley is the only NFL player to have ever played for both the St. Louis Cardinals and St. Louis Rams.

Great moments

Only two years removed from their 1947 world championship team, the Chicago Cardinals overcome a 21 point deficit against the Rams in Los Angeles behind the rushing of Charley Trippi and 3 picks from Jerry Davis to prevail 31-27 in December 1949.

Busch Stadium in December 1972 was where Jim Hart (the Card's all-time leading passer) tied the longest pass play in franchise history with a 98-yard strike to Ahmad Rashad (then known as Bobby Moore) in the 24-14 victory over the Rams. This play remains the longest non-scoring pass play in the history of the NFL and a record that will never be broken.

In the first season as the Phoenix Cardinals (1988), Neil Lomax passes for 342 yards as the Big Red rack up 519 total yards against the L. A. Rams. Touchdown receptions by Roy 'Jet Stream' Green and Jay Novacek, in addition to TD runs by Earl Ferrell and Stump Mitchell add up to a 41-28 victory and Lomax is named NFL Offensive Player of the Week.

Ronald Moore rushes for 126 yards and 4 touchdowns in the team's last season known as the Phoenix Cardinals and becomes the Offensive Player of the Week. Steve Beuerlein also adds a touchdown pass to Gary Clark(8 catches for 159 yards) in the 38-10 victory at Sun Devil Stadium in '93.

Kent Graham passes for 366 yards in the Arizona Cardinals come-from-behind overtime 31-28 victory in Tempe in 1996 over the St. Louis Rams. A whopping 13 of Graham's 37 completions went to Larry Centers for 83 yards and a touchdown. Other Cardinals scored that day by the names of Rob Moore (9 catches, 143 yards), Leshon Johnson and Frank Sanders.

In the first quarter of the season opener of his rookie year (2013),Tyrann Mathieu comes from nowhere to knock the ball loose from TE Jared Cook just as he's about to cross the goal line in St. Louis. This game is also notable for when Bruce Arians first came to realize that Levi Brown wasn't so elite after all.

Carson Palmer completes 27 of 32 passes (84.4%) for 269 yards and a touchdown in 2013 in Glendale. The 84.4 completion percentage was the second-best single-game completion percentage in franchise history (only Kurt Warner's NFL-record of 92.3% in '09 ranks higher). John Abraham records three sacks as the Cardinals win 30-10.

2718857-tom-newberry-of-the-los-angeles-rams-prepares-gettyimages.jpg

Looking Ahead

Since the teams became division opponents in 2002, the Cardinals hold a 15-11 advantage and are currently riding a 3 game winning streak over the Rams. The Cardinals in a homecoming of sorts in St. Louis, prevailed in a battle of field goals 12-6 last December when the teams last met.

Odds are the score will be much higher this Sunday especially if Larry Fitzgerald has anything to do with it. Fitz's 138 career receptions, 1,631 yards receiving and 16 touchdowns against the Rams are more than any active player against an individual opponent.

It's almost time to snap on the chin-straps again for a Cardinals/Rams game and you know what that means ...

Bad News for the Rams!

For those interested in a listing of how (and when) the 32 current NFL teams came to be, visit NFL Team History.
----------
Everybody is hyping up the Rams DL but it's the CARDS OL that will dominate in the trenches.
The Rams have the exact same DL that through the first 5 games last year (MIN, TB, DAL, PHI, SF) only recorded 1 sack. Even in the last meeting with the Cards they only recorded 1 sack. Cards beat them both times with Stanton and Lindley and the 31st ranked run game.

The Rams feasted on a horrific SEA OL for 6 sacks and an injury laden Pitt OL for another 5 sacks. Only recorded 2 sacks against that power house OL of the Redskins Their defense has allowed 122 yds rushing and another 325 yds passing per game. The Rams offense is completely inept.

With a healthy Palmer & OL, stout run game and ball hawing D, I wouldn’t be surprise if the Cards put up a 50 burger on the lambs.
-------
I'm guessing 24 at best
Thinking this is going to be the ugliest offensive game by the Cards so far this year. Rams will get pressure with 4-5 defenders, jump Fitz’s routes, and force the Cards’ running game / deep ball to beat them. Carson can’t throw a good deep ball while fading backwards, and the running game is still young. I’m thinking its a close Cards win, 17-10. I’ll repost and fess up if I blow this one.
--------
Rams front four is good
But Cards can run the ball fairly well and Arians and Carson and Co. have made their money winning games by throwing it deep and often. Those may be the keys to the game for the Rams, but they’re also Arizona strengths.
-------
Should be a fun game to watch, especially with Rams strength (Pass Rush) going against Cards’ strength (deep ball). Don’t sleep on ARI D/ST though, they have quite a few TDs through the first three games and a big key to neutralizing the Rams Defense could be ARI getting jumpstarted and taking a lead with D and ST touchdowns and field position.
-------
Deep throws
A QB and WR need time for deep throws. I hope you’re right and we can stretch the field. If so, we’ll be fine.
-------
I also think it'll be closer than most are saying
Even when there’s a big talent discrepancy, division games are normally close.
Rams always play the Cards, 49ers, and Seahawks very tough.

That DL is serious, and there’s at least a capable QB this year.
I think that score prediction would be good if this was being played in STL where the Rams play much tougher.

I see this game as something like 20 – 10 or 24 – 10, where it’s close thru 3 qtrs and the Cards pull away in the 4th.
------------
dont know about everyone else
but the confident word has been used alot this week. Not just by us fans but players as well. The "confidence" often leads to complacency. Coming off two large wins, hope they keep things in check. As for injury from other team…lets go out there with a chip on our shoulder and play like we will not let it happen again. We wont be intimidated.

And by all measure, we will not allow the Rams or any team for that matter, keep us from our goal of keeping not only the QB but any Cardinal safe and going to the big show. My tag line speaks my sentiment for the season.

2015 Cardinals- "Now It's personal"
-----------
As Palmer said on wednesday
They are confident because they are good (as they should be), but he doesn’t believe that it is a false confidence or cockiness. Cockiness is what will cause complacency and I just don’t believe this coaching staff or the vets are going to let it get to that.
--------
You remember last week's half-time speech?
I don’t think BA likes Jeff Fisher, nor the Rams.

I also think he’s still pissed about the talking heads last year at the end of the season as well.

Frostee brought it up this week and I think they all remember it. BA’s got a chip on his shoulder. You think he’s gonna let the guys go easy??

And Big Red thanks for the great, lengthy write up, and that video.
Was crazy, have never seen a white football like that Chicago Cards vs. LA Rams game.

Name
Tom
I'm curious as to the effectiveness of the Cardinals Run Defense. They're allowing 88 yards per game, and 3.5 per clip. Good enough for rankings of 9th and 5th respectively.

I haven't watched enough of them to really piece it together. On paper I see two Rookie Nose Tackles. Perhaps one of the most important component of the Run Defense in a 3-4. Are they really holding the fort down that well? And they're not exactly huge guys. Not Vince Wilfork-esque at all. Gunter and Williams barely top 300 lbs.

They show Corey Redding (34 years old) as a DE, but I assume he rotates with Frostee Rucker (32 years old) based on passing/running situations?

I know they blitz a good amount (and I recall watching recent games coming away thinking how good/lucky they were to have brought their LBer blitzes in the spots they did - Bowles!)...but do they need those run blitzes to stop the run? Are their LBers that good, because by all accounts from what I read, their LBers are their biggest liability.

Has it been a matter of playing pass-happy New Orleans that is nearly one-dimensional by design, Chicago Bears that was half of a team with Cutler for half the game and no Jeffery (and the Bears don't have the best line themselves, and Forte still put up 4 ypc, and had over 100 total yards), and a 49er team that was so out of the game by the second quarter that it didn't matter. Carlos Hyde and Matt Forte both had 15 carries.

I guess I'm just curious as to how much the Cardinals run defense has been tested. How legitimately good they are. What they consider their strengths to be in the run game. Etc. Etc.

From our end...I'd like to see Gurley and Mason both get 20 carries this game. I think we have a much better chance of winning this game Fisher-style than we do if we try to go after a team with a very good secondary that likes to trot out 5 or 6 DBs. If ever there was a game that we need to get off the ball and establish the run game early...it's this one.

Teams have attempted to run against us in every game so far; I would actually say the statistics are a bit misleading. Most of the opposing runners are getting the majority of their runs on a few carries. The average gain so far has been no gain, 1 yard gain, or 2 yard gain. Forte had like a 30 yard run that skewed the numbers.

I think if the Rams took the approach that they are going to run it down our throats I would welcome them to try. :)

The Cardinals rotate a number of guys in at the nose tackle position. They let "Dumpster" Dan Williams walk in the offseason; Williams was/is a premier run defending NT, but he didn't play enough to warrant the 6+ million per year contract the Raiders offered him. The Cardinals also don't play a Pittsburgh style 3-4. With the Cardinals, the defensive line aren't trying to just absorb blockers, the defensive line is trying to penetrate and disrupt. That's why you see Rodney Gunter, Corey Redding, and even Calais Campbell rotating in at NT right now.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
First of all Mr.BigRedBillyGoat The Rams Cards all-Time Record is NOT 36-35-2! To be accurate it's 37-36-2! Minor error but I can "Cherry -pick" stats with the Best of them!!
For instance: Since Fisher has been our HC he is 3-3 against the Cards! ( I do not know his record against them prior to this!) But!
In his 3 Wins: ( This is where I Cherry-pick stats!)
The Rams Have 15 Sacks and 7 Turn-overs!! That's an average of 5 Sacks and 2+ turn-overs per Win.
THAT IS WHAT YOU HAVE TO LOOK FORWARD TO THIS COMING SUNDAY!!
You talk about remembering games, do you remember these Faces ...

JackYoungblood4.jpg

Olsen& Doobler.jpg

deacon-jones.jpg

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Lots of talking by the Cardinals. That didn't work so well for us. Maybe for them. It's funny the more I hear them talk about confidence the more confident I get about our team.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
My first NFL game attended was the Rams @ Cardinals in Sun Devil Stadium in '96
Cards won 31-28 in OT
Tony Banks, Isaac Bruce, Eddie Kennison, Lawrence Phillips, Kevin Carter, Toby Wright vs Kent Graham, Larry Centers, Rob Moore, Frank Sanders, Eric Swann, Simeon Rice.

It was a great game and at the time(before the divisional realignment) i was still a Cardinals supporter.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe we can convince Foles to throw for 400 yards again?(but without the 60+ attempts this time)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Cards won 31-28 in OT
Tony Banks, Isaac Bruce, Eddie Kennison, Lawrence Phillips, Kevin Carter, Toby Wright vs Kent Graham, Larry Centers, Rob Moore, Frank Sanders, Eric Swann, Simeon Rice.

It was a great game and at the time(before the divisional realignment) i was still a Cardinals supporter.
It's always Fun remembering our 1st time .. Oops! .. you where talking about Football! My Bad! :oops::giggle::D

RamzFanz

Damnit
I think what this game will really boil down to is the matchups.

How does the Rams offense match up against the Cardinals defense? One of the worst rated offenses against one of the best rated defenses?

How does the Cardinals offense match up against the Rams defense? One of the best rated offenses against a top ten defense?

I think if this was the only case, the Cardinals easily win offense vs. defense, defense vs. offense. Our offense should score some points against the Ram defense, but I'm pretty confident we will crush the Rams offense. Rams: Below average WRs vs. Very good corners, Below average OL vs. Very good D Line, and below average QB vs. overall good defense.

One other concern I have that hasn't been mentioned is special teams. The Cardinals inexplicably kept punter Drew Butler (son of Kevin Butler, long time NFL placekicker) over Dave Zastudil. Against SF, he had a horrible kick that led to Hayne's big return, which set up SF's only points. Butler is good at pinning opponents deep, but he is awful as far as hang time is concerned. The Rams might get some points off of punt returns.

The difference in the "ratings" are we've seen the best the cards have to offer magnified against bad defenses. With the Rams, you ain't seen nothin' yet.

Your "top rated" o is going to look very mortal tomorrow.

azcards

UDFA
The difference in the "ratings" are we've seen the best the cards have to offer magnified against bad defenses. With the Rams, you ain't seen nothin' yet.

Your "top rated" o is going to look very mortal tomorrow.

You can only play the schedule. It's nice that the Cards are beating teams they 'should' beat this year, convincingly, compared to slim margins last year.

Name
Tom
Cards won 31-28 in OT

Was that the one where Leshon Johnson had one big run for the Cardinals to win?

Name
Tom
Cards won 31-28 in OT

Was that the one where Leshon Johnson had one big run for the Cardinals to win?

Name
Tom
Cards won 31-28 in OT

Was that the one where Leshon Johnson had one big run for the Cardinals to basically win it for the Cards?

RamzFanz

Damnit
You can only play the schedule. It's nice that the Cards are beating teams they 'should' beat this year, convincingly, compared to slim margins last year.

I like the cards. If the Rams can't take the NFCW, have at it brothers. We aren't the ones who have to throw polite people off. Boards followed by personal attacks. Something tells me cards fans know a storms coming tomorrow.

We will see. There isn't a card fan out there that knows what this o will be when it's full strength.

If the long ball against the rams is the plan, never gonna happen.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Cards fans are very confident. Who can blame them? They've looked good. We've looked horrible on offense. I would be confident too if I saw an opposing team look like ours. But this league has a way of crushing expectations. You just don't know what you'll get week after week.

Yeah, the Rams might trip all over themselves again of offense and go down with a whimper. Then again, you never know. All it takes is the light to go on for some guys.

azcards

UDFA
I like the cards. If the Rams can't take the NFCW, have at it brothers. We aren't the ones who have to throw polite people off. Boards followed by personal attacks. Something tells me cards fans know a storms coming tomorrow.

We will see. There isn't a card fan out there that knows what this o will be when it's full strength.

If the long ball against the rams is the plan, never gonna happen.

My biggest fear is injury. Which I guess means the only match up I care about is the o-line vs the Rams d-line.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Quick is good receiver. I agree to this extent.

What did he do in 3+ years to call him the best receiver on this roster?
he got drafted in the 2nd round. snead and fisher were "overwhelmed" by his athletic ability at a private show.