Wentz to start game one

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rambo

UDFA
If Keenum is bad or even average and the Rams are losing games this is going to put a huge amount of pressure on Fisher to play Goff, and on Goff to want to play and play well. Prescott is looking good so far too.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I'm not surprised. I think he'll be special. It'll be interesting to see how teams make adjustments on him as the season goes on.
He does everything well that I thought he would, a great leader, big arm, good throwing on the run. He will be a star.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I really don't want to dwell on hindsight / it's generally unhealthy / but I suppose there is no escaping the fact that these two will be tied together forever.

Goff is the future of OUR franchise - and that is true whether Wentz never completes another pass or goes on to be the best ever.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
It'll stop the minute Goff earns Fisher's confidence and then produces on the field.

Unfortunately for the "Team Goff" folks... (which I never understood, it's all about making the team better) there was all this gloss and negativity which wasn't based on reality, but served solely to elevate Goff not based on Goff's merits of which there are many, but by tearing down Wentz.

Well, it may only be one game, but it's looking like some of that stuff really was ridiculous nonsense. Wentz clearly was more pro ready as he showed against a competent Cleveland D (that Cleveland O, otoh...)

I just want the Rams to win. I honestly don't care if Goff never takes a snap for the Rams if we win the Super Bowl with Keenum or Mannion or someone else. I just want us to win. If it's with Goff, then great. I'll certainly cheer for him when he's the QB.

That said, this was the argument going in. Fisher was never going to change. I basically took a hiatus because no one wanted to listen to the FACT that Fisher has a certain way, Kroenke doesn't fire coaches and Wentz better fits things THE WAY THEY ARE. /shrug

After seeing Goff's development so far and Mannion's development over a year, how much confidence should anyone have that Goff, who I think has TONS OF POTENTIAL, will be properly developed by this regime?

All we can do is hope for the best, but the initial information doesn't paint the rosiest picture.

I just want the Rams to win.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wentz clearly was more pro ready as he showed against a competent Cleveland D (that Cleveland O, otoh...)

No, he wasn't. He landed with a coach who wasn't stuck in the 90s. That's the difference.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Not sure about that....The decline of Jason Peters? The suspension of Lane?? The all-pro center Kelcie?? Exactly why is this o-line garbage?
A rookie struggled....that's what rookies do....It's also what some vet QB's do too...but if he finds a way to win, in spite of his struggles, he'll grow from it, and get better.....
I believe Goff deserves this chance as well.....

Well, I didn't see the game but saw some highlights.

That line is not garbage its pretty good. Not like what they have put together in Dallas, but it's pretty darn good from what I saw.

RamWoodie

Legend
No, he wasn't. He landed with a coach who wasn't stuck in the 90s. That's the difference.
No...that's an excuse if you ask me. I watched both guys throughout the process...and I've been watching Pro Football some 51 years.

In my mind ANYONE objective could tell Wentz was more Pro ready. Now...that doesn't mean Goff isn't going to be the better QB...he needs time. However Wentz was up against no slouch defense...that guy made some very nice throws...throws Goff hasn't even begun to make.

Bottom line...I don't buy what you're selling with a coach being the reason. That given...it's just one game for Wentz...and just like guys around here are going over the top about Spruce after one preseason game...folks don't need to go over the top about Wentz's first game. More remains to be seen.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

But that was my point all off-season.

Fisher's not going anywhere. So which QB better matches with the HC stuck in the 90's who's not going anywhere? The question is purely theoretical and abstract as to which could be better in an optimal setup.

AND...everything I was talking about is happening. Especially the lack of development. That pattern thing no one wanted to hear about... Not a psychic, but patterns matter.

Now, you can bitter about Fisher, but Goff will never be all he could have been under Fisher. Just...never. If anyone doubts that, ask, could Goff eventually become as good under Fisher as he could under Asshole Face or Mike McCarthy? I just don't see it, not even in a universe of infinite possibilities.

That's why the question of FIT mattered. And Wentz was badly underrated by some. Was Goff overrated? That's a super tough question because he does have tons of potential, but he's in a situation where his potential isn't going to be realized like it would in other places. Hopefully, he develops enough that the Rams can win.

Goff's a Ram. I want him to succeed. I can't ignore that Fisher is the HC and this off-season and his past seasons as Rams HC don't show me a HC who develops QBs of any caliber and that concerns me greatly, especially because Kroenke isn't going to fire him.

What happens next? I dunno. I'm not going to pretend that Goff is going to be a franchise QB under Fisher. I mean, it could happen, but if rather be pleasantly surprised than bitterly disappointed.

Hopefully, whoever is the Rams QB leads us to victory. That's really my only focus.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unfortunately for the "Team Goff" folks... (which I never understood, it's all about making the team better) there was all this gloss and negativity which wasn't based on reality, but served solely to elevate Goff not based on Goff's merits of which there are many, but by tearing down Wentz.

Complete and utter horse *()&*)(. This idea that because people thought one was better than the other meant they hate or were tearing down the competition is just garbage stop we're better than this kind of comment. Because I say player A is better at doing Z than player B is doesn't mean I'm tearing down or I hate B. It's just an opinion on two guys abilities.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But that was my point all off-season.

Fisher's not going anywhere. So which QB better matches with the HC stuck in the 90's who's not going anywhere? The question is purely theoretical and abstract as to which could be better in an optimal setup.

AND...everything I was talking about is happening. Especially the lack of development. That pattern thing no one wanted to hear about... Not a psychic, but patterns matter.

Now, you can bitter about Fisher, but Goff will never be all he could have been under Fisher. Just...never. If anyone doubts that, ask, could Goff eventually become as good under Fisher as he could under Asshole Face or Mike McCarthy? I just don't see it, not even in a universe of infinite possibilities.

That's why the question of FIT mattered. And Wentz was badly underrated by some. Was Goff overrated? That's a super tough question because he does have tons of potential, but he's in a situation where his potential isn't going to be realized like it would in other places. Hopefully, he develops enough that the Rams can win.

Goff's a Ram. I want him to succeed. I can't ignore that Fisher is the HC and this off-season and his past seasons as Rams HC don't show me a HC who develops QBs of any caliber and that concerns me greatly, especially because Kroenke isn't going to fire him.

What happens next? I dunno. I'm not going to pretend that Goff is going to be a franchise QB under Fisher. I mean, it could happen, but if rather be pleasantly surprised than bitterly disappointed.

Hopefully, whoever is the Rams QB leads us to victory. That's really my only focus.

If Wentz was on this team, he would not be starting Week 1 either. As you said, patterns matter.

And as I said back then, if our offensive identity is ground and pound and play-action, you're right. Wentz fits better. But if Fisher cares about winning and is willing to use Goff to his potential, Goff fits better because I project him as the better QB.

Unfortunately, it seems you were right about Fisher caring more about doing things his way.

As for Goff, he'll still be a franchise QB under Fisher. Fisher won't be able to take that away from him. At worst, he'll only be able to delay it from happening.

No...that's an excuse if you ask me. I watched both guys throughout the process...and I've been watching Pro Football some 51 years.

In my mind ANYONE objective could tell Wentz was more Pro ready. Now...that doesn't mean Goff isn't going to be the better QB...he needs time. However Wentz was up against no slouch defense...that guy made some very nice throws...throws Goff hasn't even begun to make.

Bottom line...I don't buy what you're selling with a coach being the reason. That given...it's just one game for Wentz...and just like guys around here are going over the top about Spruce after one preseason game...folks don't need to go over the top about Wentz's first game. More remains to be seen.

In my mind anyone objective could tell Goff was more pro ready. But then again, I guess I wasn't objective. I mean, no, I don't root for Cal. No, I did not have any attachment to Jared Goff besides wanting him in the draft. Yes, I was one of the first people to start hyping Wentz on this board, defending him against criticism, and mocking him to the Rams. But yea, I'm just not objective. :LOL:

You don't buy what I'm selling with the coach being the reason? Okay. Jeff Fisher has drafted three QBs in the top three picks during his time as a Head Coach. How many of them started Week 1 of their rookie year?

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Complete and utter horse *()&*)(. This idea that because people thought one was better than the other meant they hate or were tearing down the competition is just garbage stop we're better than this kind of comment. Because I say player A is better at doing Z than player B is doesn't mean I'm tearing down or I hate B. It's just an opinion on two guys abilities.

That's not what I said. There were some people who did engage in that. They know who they are. Goff was the All Mighty and who was a favorite for ROY and Wentz would be lucky to hold a clipboard in the NFL... That's what I was referring to.

This forum is a place meant for people to have different opinions and they make the place richer because of it.

Ram on!

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
If Wentz was on this team, he would not be starting Week 1 either. As you said, patterns matter.

And as I said back then, if our offensive identity is ground and pound and play-action, you're right. Wentz fits better. But if Fisher cares about winning and is willing to use Goff to his potential, Goff fits better because I project him as the better QB.

Unfortunately, it seems you were right about Fisher caring more about doing things his way.

As for Goff, he'll still be a franchise QB under Fisher. Fisher won't be able to take that away from him. At worst, he'll only be able to delay it from happening.

In my mind anyone objective could tell Goff was more pro ready. But then again, I guess I wasn't objective. I mean, no, I don't root for Cal. No, I did not have any attachment to Jared Goff besides wanting him in the draft. Yes, I was one of the first people to start hyping Wentz on this board, defending him against criticism, and mocking him to the Rams. But yea, I'm just not objective. :LOL:

You don't buy what I'm selling with the coach being the reason? Okay. Jeff Fisher has drafted three QBs in the top three picks during his time as a Head Coach. How many of them started Week 1 of their rookie year?

It's why I bet Keenum would make the first pass. Fisher is a pretty consistent and therefore, predictable person.

We can wish and want and hope and...., but at the end of the day...

Fisher's gonna be Fish. For good and bad.

RamWoodie

Legend

Despite what you're asserting you can't know because Wentz was not in the Rams camps...so that is pure speculation.

OTOH any objective person would consider it significant that with Wentz having only one preseason game and starting against a pretty good defense did well with 22-37 for 278 and 2 TDs. You're not being rational.
Here again you're just not being rational. The Rams had 3 QBs in camp and two out performed Goff...PERIOD!
Quite possible. I don't argue Goff has the tools...he doesn't have the mental yet...and that is significant right now. Fisher also has to win. He making the smart play for himself and Goff!!!
You're objectivity is lacking then. Once again Look at Wentz with one preseason game played...and it's easy that at this point he's way ahead of Goff!
Once again...I'm not buying what you're selling because it has no rational to it. It has no basis in fact for Goff while Wentz has proven fact thus far.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
We will rally around Sean Mannion and we will play good football!!!