Wentz to start game one

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
For those saying we should have taken Wentz over Goff, after just one game, is like me saying I should have only drank 4 beers yesterday rather than 10. True story too.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Fuck wentz. I may have wanted him but the Rams chose Goff. So I'm 100% behind Goff and don't give a fuck how well wentz plays.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Wentz has some great intangibles and I wish the kid the very best, but things will go our way soon enough.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Everyone freaking out about this - he was playing against one of the historically worst teams you will ever see play pro football. That's how bad the Browns are. They might well go 0-16. So lets see how they both compare in a few years - not a few weeks.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Fisher could have gotten more reps for Goff in the preseason. He could have but he didn't. This is the major issue, but it is behind us and we are onto the season.

Right now, with the current situation I truly feel like Fish is smart for giving Goff (3rd) this week to see how the process goes. To calm the nerves a bit. To give the guy an opportunity while watching his new team the Rams take on the Niners.

Keenum can win us a few games, but we aren't a threat for the playoffs team with Keenum at the helm. We have a very rough schedule. I even looked today and I didn't know when I would start Goff if Keenum can play well enough for us to win.

But in the long run teams will learn how to stop Keenum; Goff is the only guy on this team with the feet to keep himself steady in the pocket and deliver throws that are not designed dump offs.

We have a brutal schedule.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Well, yeah, partly.

To ignore that is to diminish the impact of an HC on the development of a QB.

Goff still has to put in the work and learn and grow and all that.

But SOME of this has to be on Fisher, doesn't it?

Not really - depending of course on your true agenda.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Let's imagine Wentz continues to play well in Philadelphia. Let's imagine he brings Doug Pederson and Howie Rosen all the accolades they deserve for moving up to draft the kid. And let's imagine the QBs in this year's draft were selected in the correct order. Well, that wouldn't be too bad to imagine now would it? After all, 1 week into the season and that's about all we can do.....imagine.

ausmurp

Starter
It's not about who Wentz played. It's about what you hear or heard combined with the things he showed not based on his opponent but based on playing QB in general.

The rumors of Wentz football IQ started from the end of last college season. Before the draft it was said he has a way higher ceiling than Goff, but that Goff was the QB that would be ready to start and take over sooner so he was the better fit for the Rams. Goff is not starting and Wentz is so that was not true. But the football IQ is very true from what I've heard and what I saw yesterday. We'll see going forward...

What makes me angry is I along with half of Rams fans wanted Wentz based mostly on his football IQ and higher ceiling, and the team somehow didn't see this stuff. If the majority of the football world knew Wentz football IQ was off the charts, but our team somehow didn't or somehow thought Goff's was similar and they were wrong. Then we see on TV that Goff doesn't even know where the sun rises and sets.

Oh and Wentz pocket awareness yesterday looked fantastic. I'm still baffled at why Goff's pocket awareness and movement hasn't translated (yet, at least based on preseason). Wentz in the pocket yesterday, looked like Goff did in college. This was a major reason Goff was so coveted by everyone, and it is looking like Wentz thus far has better pocket awareness at the pro level.

I'm not knocking Goff here just stating facts. I'll finish with this one really amazing play I saw and I'm sure @Jrry noticed this too. There was one play where Wentz dropped a shotgun snap, but he quickly picked it up, stood up in the pocket and shifted around a little to avoid pressure, and made a throw. This really stood out to me because it directly shows the speed of the NFL is not bothering Wentz at all. This is a huge huge deal and it shows that Wentz is truly ready to play on the NFL level, this one tiny but important play. Most rookies would've scrambled to fall on the ball and just recover it. Wentz showed something really special here. He's showing a lot of special things.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
That given...it's just one game for Wentz...and just like guys around here are going over the top about Spruce after one preseason game...folks don't need to go over the top about Wentz's first game. More remains to be seen.
Just one game woodie....you are so right...but damn, first impression was NICE!

with Wentz having only one preseason game and starting against a pretty good defense did well with 22-37 for 278 and 2 TDs.
Why does anyone believe Cleveland has a good D??? Just curious.....o_O

What makes me angry is I along with half of Rams fans wanted Wentz based mostly on his football IQ and higher ceiling, and the team somehow didn't see this stuff. If the majority of the football world knew Wentz football IQ was off the charts, but our team somehow didn't or somehow thought Goff's was similar and they were wrong. Then we see on TV that Goff doesn't even know where the sun rises and sets
Hey, man....great, non-provoking post...agree 100%
Just our thoughts...as amateur scouts/GM's....what we SAW....and LOOKED obvious....and we were in here commenting back and forth....and happens to now be playing out b4 our eyes....:D

I never SAW the more pro ready.:shocking:...I never SAW a higher upside.:thinking:...and in his one preseason game, he did things that LOOKED like he could handle the speed of the game....thats all...I'm not saying na na nee na naaaa!:neener:...

Hopefully, we'll SEE tonight why he's being held out...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I liked Goff and Wentz equally and thought they would both be franchise guys for years to come. Why cant they be mutually exclusive of one another?
I am convinced that if we had taken Wentz we'd have watched Goff tear it up for the Eagles just the same, while Carson would be in street clothes tonight

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
One of the things I try to remind myself about Wentz...

Look over the last 5/6 years with regards to guys who started hot, then fell back to earth.. Bradford, RGIII, Kaeperdick . I'm gonna temper my opinion a bit. It's a marathon, not a sprint :sneaky:

Ram65

Legend
What long two session read.

Whiner Week!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go Rams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RamWoodie

Legend
Why does anyone believe Cleveland has a good D??? Just curious.....o_O
Simply watch them. I'm not saying their great like the Rams but they have the same problem the Rams defense has...NO OFFENSE...so they stay on the field and eventually they tire.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
It's not about who Wentz played. It's about what you hear or heard combined with the things he showed not based on his opponent but based on playing QB in general.

The rumors of Wentz football IQ started from the end of last college season. Before the draft it was said he has a way higher ceiling than Goff, but that Goff was the QB that would be ready to start and take over sooner so he was the better fit for the Rams. Goff is not starting and Wentz is so that was not true. But the football IQ is very true from what I've heard and what I saw yesterday. We'll see going forward...

What makes me angry is I along with half of Rams fans wanted Wentz based mostly on his football IQ and higher ceiling, and the team somehow didn't see this stuff. If the majority of the football world knew Wentz football IQ was off the charts, but our team somehow didn't or somehow thought Goff's was similar and they were wrong. Then we see on TV that Goff doesn't even know where the sun rises and sets.

Oh and Wentz pocket awareness yesterday looked fantastic. I'm still baffled at why Goff's pocket awareness and movement hasn't translated (yet, at least based on preseason). Wentz in the pocket yesterday, looked like Goff did in college. This was a major reason Goff was so coveted by everyone, and it is looking like Wentz thus far has better pocket awareness at the pro level.

I'm not knocking Goff here just stating facts. I'll finish with this one really amazing play I saw and I'm sure @Jrry noticed this too. There was one play where Wentz dropped a shotgun snap, but he quickly picked it up, stood up in the pocket and shifted around a little to avoid pressure, and made a throw. This really stood out to me because it directly shows the speed of the NFL is not bothering Wentz at all. This is a huge huge deal and it shows that Wentz is truly ready to play on the NFL level, this one tiny but important play. Most rookies would've scrambled to fall on the ball and just recover it. Wentz showed something really special here. He's showing a lot of special things.
Well said!

KDS73

Rookie
For those saying we should have taken Wentz over Goff, after just one game, is like me saying I should have only drank 4 beers yesterday rather than 10. True story too.

What about those who thought we should've taken Wentz over Goff even before one game?

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
What about those who thought we should've taken Wentz over Goff even before one game?
Does it really matter other than saying " I Told You So," and only after one game? They took Goff because they thought he had more to offer. What we think is moot. If you want to say Wentz is going to be a great QB after one game, that is your opinion. IMO, Goff has a much larger learning curve to being a QB in the NFL than Wentz, and I think he has more upside compared to Wentz. In the end Goff will be the better of the two, IMO. But, if you want to crown Wentz as the next great QB and Goff a bust, I would suggest waiting for a few more games, etc. Funny how we live in a world of "instant gratification" and patience is no longer accepted. SMH

KDS73

Rookie
What about you?

:LOL: You'd probably be doing yourself a big favor by avoiding this topic and moving on to something else. Just my 2 cents, but it's clearly a subject that's getting under your skin. And like I said before, Goff and Wentz are forever linked, so the comparisons are always going to be there, whether we like it or not. If I was you, I would just avoid it wherever I could.