Waiting for Jared Goff thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Gotta give it to Case. He played the best game HE could possibly play today. No turnovers and made some nice throws. Still his inconsistency is what makes him a backup imo. Also idk why he can seem to make accurate throws to the sideline. The 3rd and 2 throw to Tavon was well off the mark, when Tavon had his man beat. Also Quick was wide open on 3rd and could have gone quite a ways had Keenum hit him in stride, but instead the ball was long and low forcing Quick to make a diving difficult grab

Rafael

UDFA
That's reactionary, though. You play Goff because he's your best option, not because Keenum is hurting the team. If Goff makes this team better, he should be on the field as soon as he's ready. No reason to refuse to do it until it costs us games.

But there's no way of knowing if Goff makes the team better unless you bench Keenum. And if Keenum is playing winning football, he doesn't need to be benched.

Goff might be able to make better throws than Keenum, but that doesn't mean he can read defenses and go through his progressions as well as Keenum. And if we're winning, you don't want to throw in a rookie while he goes through his growing pains and end up costing us games.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
But there's no way of knowing if Goff makes the team better unless you bench Keenum. And if Keenum is playing winning football, he doesn't need to be benched.

Goff might be able to make better throws than Keenum, but that doesn't mean he can read defenses and go through his progressions as well as Keenum. And if we're winning, you don't want to throw in a rookie while he goes through his growing pains and end up costing us games.

The coaches will be able to tell.

I'd rather have growing pains now than over the final 5 weeks of the season or in the playoffs.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
60% completion percentage.
111.25 QB Rating.
2 Touchdowns.
8.9 yards per completion.
*W*
55 yards removed from his stat line (rushing and passing) due to O-line penalties.

Yeah, we should clearly pick some damn nits about how he played tonight.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've been hoping for Goff to start too , but Keenum has a lot of guts . They just need to put plays in place that fit his game .

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Gotta give it to Case. He played the best game HE could possibly play today. No turnovers and made some nice throws. Still his inconsistency is what makes him a backup imo. Also idk why he can seem to make accurate throws to the sideline. The 3rd and 2 throw to Tavon was well off the mark, when Tavon had his man beat. Also Quick was wide open on 3rd and could have gone quite a ways had Keenum hit him in stride, but instead the ball was long and low forcing Quick to make a diving difficult grab
Honestly, 24, if you watch ANY quarterback, you'll find a few questionable or shitty throws too. I agree though, he played one of the best games he could have. However, his game against Tampa last year is still the record for best game (QB Rating) by any Rams QB in history at 158. Believe it or not. So, yeah, he missed a few balls, but he also got some passes dropped that could have been caught as well. Lotta times WRs will bail out even the best QBs, but that's kind of a rarity around here no matter who the QB is.

Either way, we both agree that Goff *has the potential* to be markedly better.
We'll find out soon enough.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Honestly, 24, if you watch ANY quarterback, you'll find a few questionable or crappy throws too. I agree though, he played one of the best games he could have. However, his game against Tampa last year is still the record for best game (QB Rating) by any Rams QB in history at 158. Believe it or not. So, yeah, he missed a few balls, but he also got some passes dropped that could have been caught as well. Lotta times WRs will bail out even the best QBs, but that's kind of a rarity around here no matter who the QB is.

To be fair, the receivers did come through today to some degree. The Austin and Quick balls were catchable, but they were very difficult catches to make. Frankly, Keenum's throw to Austin was great. So he takes no blame there. It's just a 50/50 play. You win some, you lose some. But Quick did come up with contested catches on both TDs, Gurley made a one-handed catch on the wheel route and another great grab to convert that 3rd down, and Britt made at least one tough catch in coverage to convert a first down.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Honestly, 24, if you watch ANY quarterback, you'll find a few questionable or crappy throws too. I agree though, he played one of the best games he could have. However, his game against Tampa last year is still the record for best game (QB Rating) by any Rams QB in history at 158. Believe it or not. So, yeah, he missed a few balls, but he also got some passes dropped that could have been caught as well. Lotta times WRs will bail out even the best QBs, but that's kind of a rarity around here no matter who the QB is.

Agreed, and I'm not gonna complain too much because I'm too happy that we're 3-1. Just feel like if a few more of those throws are hit, this doesn't come down to another defensive stand at the end.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Agreed, and I'm not gonna complain too much because I'm too happy that we're 3-1. Just feel like if a few more of those throws are hit, this doesn't come down to another defensive stand at the end.
I hear ya. But credit AZ's front 7 for bringing the heat too.
I can't imagine how I'd react if I knew I was about to get blasted at any given moment.
Gotta clean that shit up too. That line is gonna get someone killed, and it's not doing Gurley any favors either.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
However, his game against Tampa last year is still the record for best game (QB Rating) by any Rams QB in history at 158.
Kurt Warner had 2 "perfect" games of 158.3, just sayin

bluecoconuts

Legend
Keenum is limited, this we all know. Goff has more upside, this we all know.. Maybe Goff gives us a better chance to win right now, maybe he doesn't... Would I like to see Goff playing? Of course, he has more upside, more raw talent, and what I'm worried about is that we may stick with Keenum too long if he struggles and slip in the standings, we're playing a dangerous game in terms of what we're asking our defense to do.

That being said, with the overly complex offense we run, and the fact that it's been pretty lacking in creativity (especially in the run game) I don't see any need to throw Goff into the fire just yet. If our offense truly is the most complex in the league (which is fucking asinine if you ask me, that's just being complex for the sake of being complex) then there's a steeper learning curve. Keenum is playing good enough to win, let it ride.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
I'd ride Keenam as long as he's making W's. Goff has a long future ahead of him and the longer he get's to study play books and gain weight.... the better. I see no need to rush this thing.

Back Jlack

UDFA
Name
Back Jlack
next up Bills at home, It won't be an easy game whatsoever, but it is a very doable game when the last 3 games weren't in our favor. Really hope the Rams win next week and send us at 4-1, when was the last last time you saw the rams with that kind of win-lose ratio? This is exciting to say the least

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
I can post a reply but not like or dislike anything here?

Back Jlack

UDFA
Name
Back Jlack
Keenum is limited, this we all know. Goff has more upside, this we all know.. Maybe Goff gives us a better chance to win right now, maybe he doesn't... Would I like to see Goff playing? Of course, he has more upside, more raw talent, and what I'm worried about is that we may stick with Keenum too long if he struggles and slip in the standings, we're playing a dangerous game in terms of what we're asking our defense to do.

That being said, with the overly complex offense we run, and the fact that it's been pretty lacking in creativity (especially in the run game) I don't see any need to throw Goff into the fire just yet. If our offense truly is the most complex in the league (which is freaking asinine if you ask me, that's just being complex for the sake of being complex) then there's a steeper learning curve. Keenum is playing good enough to win, let it ride.

imo, you pretty much nailed the Goff-Keenum debate right on the head. Goff is the qb of the future, but he probably isn't our guy RIGHT NOW when we're winning with Keenum. Rams haven't had a real offensive identity ever since bulger and jackson days, It seems like Keenum is doing a good job forming an identity with the current personal and the players MUST feel good being 3-1, when Goff inevitably takes over, he'll be brought into a somewhat established offense

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Don't be pissy.

It's kind of an unwritten rule that you don't debate in either the vent thread or the celebration thread.
You either celebrate or you vent. Been that way for a long time.

Shouldn't it be written? We need to know the rules here. :)