Todd Gurley Yay or Nay?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think it was Higbee on both of the holds.

Higbee needs a crap ton of work as an inline blocker.

At least 20 yards cost......
Higbee had one when extending his block because TG changed directions. Higbee had a very good day yesterday blocking, he was earning praises in the chat room for it and not just from me.

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Gurley absolutely looks slow. I'm not talking about the initial burst or first level either. He's being more patient and following the blocking schemes in that regard. Second and third level he is noticeably slower. Go put on the tape from his rookie year. It's not even close.

Having said that( I say that a lot) he's our best RB so...

YAY

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Highest had one when extending his block because TG changed directions. Higbee had a very good day yesterday blocking, he was earning praises in the chat room for it and not just from me.

The 4th quarter hold was on Higbee, Havenstein had the early one.

I didn't watch Higbee closely all game.

Good to hear that the chat room loves him. Now, if he can work some receptions in along with his sterling blocking.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The 4th quarter hold was on Higbee, Havenstein had the early one.

I didn't watch Higbee closely all game.

Good to hear that the chat room loves him. Now, if he can work some receptions in along with his sterling blocking.
Correct me if I'm wrong mr blue font but he caught the only pass thrown to him. It was a couple yards past the line of scrimmage and made it a 9 yard gain. Sorry just looked it up he caught 2 of the three targets. Shame on him we should cut him 2 catches for 17 yards on three targets is hardly worth the roster spot. Especially when he has one penalty on all of his blocks.

TexasRam

Legend
Gurleys first gear is pedestrian.

His 2nd and third gear can be really awesome.

His TD run was really impressive breaking tackles for 5 yards vs huge men.

He had a few other nice broken tackles like the dump off in the middle where he split two defenders.

If we didn't get flagged so much his stat line is very solid.

His overall game is so solid I am fine with him. Let's see how it plays out. I would spell him more however.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'd be happy if he produced like that all year for us, almost a hundred from scrimmage I'll take it.
But....he DOES look a step slower to my eye, just being honest. I thought he was gone on that run to the outside and then the linebacker got him from behind.
Yeah there were two runs yesterday, and quite a few last season where in open space he looked more like a big churning, lugging back instead of the big speed back he was in 2015. Hard to describe but the eye test is enough for me.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
If I'm being honest, I have to say that I was expecting more from our running game.

No need to panic just yet, of course. We've got some very smart coaches working on this problem. Individual technique to scheming modifications to play calling. And probably a ton of other things.

Nobody needs to tell McVay and his coaches that something's not quite right with the running game. Yet.

But you know what? Fixing the running game should be child's play for them compared to fixing the passing game. And they've done wonders with that passing game, huh?

So, I'm not worried. But I will feel better when they demonstrate that they can consistently grind out yardage on the ground when the other team knows that it's coming to burn the clock. We haven't seen that yet.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That sounds about right above too. Indy wasn't loading the box the way we saw last year, and the Rams had some really favorable looks and still got stuffed at times.

But again the good thing here is we know McVay is going to get them back to work on it until they see some results.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
As the guy above said, the blocking is not good enough, but I wanna see a RB with more zip. Even in open space he looked 'off'

Would like to see us bring in a speedier back (to spot Gurley)

That guy is on the team and got a few touches yesterday. I'm sure we'll see it all grow as the season goes. But that guy's name is Tavon Austin.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Gurley fine to me. There were a few plays I thought he was a step away from gashing the defense for big plays. He looked good in the passing game and of course the TD was great. Not sure why he wasn't in when Brown got his TD.

There are only a couple of guys in the league that I would consider taking over TGIII and they aren't available.

bnw

Pro Bowler
Correct me if I'm wrong mr blue font but he caught the only pass thrown to him. It was a couple yards past the line of scrimmage and made it a 9 yard gain. Sorry just looked it up he caught 2 of the three targets. Shame on him we should cut him 2 catches for 17 yards on three targets is hardly worth the roster spot. Especially when he has one penalty on all of his blocks.
I sense sarcasm.:rimshot:

EasyE

Starter
For all you that think Gurley looks slow let me remind you that he has sprinter's speed. They need to get him out in space or open up some holes for him to run thru.

Gaston Green had great speed too....he just could not get into open space

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Good points not saying he can't get better, I'm hoping for it. I guess having the box sacked for so long made him pick up some bad habits.
TG faced "8 in the box" on only a little over 10% of his carries yesterday. Can't remember where i say the stat, but saw it on Twitter today. He still needs to get better at using his eyes and hitting the hole. Still looks a little "tentative" .

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, Mr chat room got all offended
Not offended just amused how one block he gets a holding call and he's suddenly in need of a ton of work as a blocker. Ignore all his good tape yesterday and all the good blocks. One penalty and he's bad.

tempests

Hall of Fame
I've been one of his bigger fans, but my patience is being tested. He has got to find a way to be a more productive runner, create on his own. 2.1 YPC just doesn't cut it.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Gurley is still missing open lanes. His vision has regressed since his rookie year. I know the blocking hasn't been good but super stars make plays out of nothing. Gurley is far from a super star at the moment. I wanna see a couple more games before I dump on him like I did last year.

fearsomefour

Legend
Last year and this pre season when Gurley goes out, they run the ball better.
Two more games like Sunday and I would start spreading the carried out.
Lots of issues in O going back to last year but Gurley has been completely unimpressive for a while now.