Todd Gurley Yay or Nay?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ItsonTavon

Rookie
Name
Erick
I'm watching the RAM game because I recorded it. (Didn't watch it live) that said I don't know if this was talked about. Gurley to me looked slow. No first few seconds burst. Seemed pretty slow at times. He also easier to be put on the ground. I want Todd Gurley of 2015 didn't see that.

Let's hope for improvement against Washington!

Psycho_X

Legend
He did seem slowish to me too but it's hard to judge bigger backs like that some times. I know he has a really good stride so his full speed wouldn't be seen if he wasn't opening it up. But yeah something is still off with him it seems like. Mostly he still looked frustrated and annoyed. The run blocking was still atrocious but the Colts do have some beef on their d-line even if they were awful everywhere else. Gurley is going to have to get some patience I think. If the passing game continues to make plays every week his run lanes will slowly begin to open up for him.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
I think he plays out his contract. Unless there is significant improvement the team looks elsewhere.

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As the guy above said, the blocking is not good enough, but I wanna see a RB with more zip. Even in open space he looked 'off'

Would like to see us bring in a speedier back (to spot Gurley)

Last edited:

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I hope not. Gurley can be special. I saw a burst in camp and think we need to exercise patience.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I'd keep him... this running game will get moving..... and I bet he rushes for over 1600 yds this season.....when it's all said and done.....;)

Go Rams....... ;)

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
McVay spoke earlier in training camp about Todd being more patient. I think we saw that yesterday. But unfortunately, Pagano went out of his way to shut down our running game. But that opened up the passing game. (8 in the box means not as many in coverage....). And Todd almost had a 100 yds in production when you figure in his receiving yardage. He did fine yesterday. The Colts went out of their way to shut down the run.

ItsonTavon

Rookie
Name
Erick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good points not saying he can't get better, I'm hoping for it. I guess having the box sacked for so long made him pick up some bad habits.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Like a QB, I think Gurley needs confidence and rhythm to find his groove.

I am a long, long way from giving up on Todd freaking Gurley.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Fact is he is not as advertised in most peoples minds. Gurley would not be in any current legit top ten RB lists, however he is better than most other RB's & is a workhorse type RB who can play all 3 downs & get you some good first downs @ this time. He is just as good in the passing game as the LOS stuff. I would expect to see Gurley utilized in the short passing game more & more where he could be a bit more effective.

Bottom line Gurley's burst has left the Rams building.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
He's showing his skills in the passing game, like he did last season. McVay mentioned getting the run game going next week, there's no reason not to believe him. Also eventually teams will have to respect our passing game, giving Gurley more space to run.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Watching yesterday, I felt Todd was a step away from breaking a long run, just seemed to get caught and one play, he was caught from behind and that play should have gone for a longer run. That being posted, Gurley catches the ball extremely well too and is excellent in pass protection, if you're going to post about Gurley the runner, we must encapsulate the other aspects of the position as well.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He had a few called back that would have helped his average. He looked fine to me....The line didn't help him.

JRobinson

MiLB
Dude, Gurley was not slow. Watch it again, he's being patient and waiting for holes to open up; which was tough to come by yesterday. Our OL had a tough time run blocking yesterday with guys like Woods on the Colts interior front. Gurley is good to go.

~lyser

Rookie
Todd Gurley put up almost 100 yards yesterday and had a couple of his better efforts called back. He was very close to breaking one on a couple of plays and he made poor reads on a few others. He looks very strong - that TD run was all "want to". The Colts did NOT really stack the box today, but the run blocking was sub par.

McVay had a couple of really sweet play designs that put Gurley in much better position than he was almost all of last year - the fake to Gurley/fake to Tavon/screen to Gurley was fucking poetry - well designed and perfectly executed. Gurley is a workhorse, every down back and he will get his this season.

bdfitz

UDFA
First Gurley had 96 all purpose yards and a TD run that was all TG. Second, the run blocking stunk. It was no better for Brown. One reason Goff connected on 21 passes with at least 5 over 20 yards for 306 yards? 8 in the box. Gurley has to play this role until Defenses start playing the pass. If they don't we'll be 10-0 before they know what hit them. When they do Gurley will have his lanes.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
McVay spoke earlier in training camp about Todd being more patient. I think we saw that yesterday. But unfortunately, Pagano went out of his way to shut down our running game. But that opened up the passing game. (8 in the box means not as many in coverage....). And Todd almost had a 100 yds in production when you figure in his receiving yardage. He did fine yesterday. The Colts went out of their way to shut down the run.

Yeah, I thought I saw quite a few 8 in the box defenses yesterday as well. It's almost as if Pagano thought he was facing off against Fisher/Boras, and considering he thought his team had just got its ass kicked by the 49ers, that wouldn't be a surprise.

jap

Legend
Dude, Gurley was not slow. Watch it again, he's being patient and waiting for holes to open up; which was tough to come by yesterday. Our OL had a tough time run blocking yesterday with guys like Woods on the Colts interior front. Gurley is good to go.

Exactly! he was waiting for his blocks to develop. If he was provided with wide, gaping holes we would have seen his speed right away. However, with Sean and Jared committed to going downfield with the aerial attack, DCs will have no choice but to adjust to prevent being killed quickly, and the Gurley Express! will have more room to roam.