Todd Gurley Yay or Nay?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dude spent 16 games continuously crashing into walls of hulking humanity last season ... I just think he needs to learn to trust himself and his o line again and with a healthy passing attack we will get rid of those 8 man boxes and he will get some running room

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He had a few called back that would have helped his average. He looked fine to me....The line didn't help him.
Great post! His two best runs of the day were both called back. I bet that would have been another 30 to 40 yards to his total. I was there and something he is doing now is a little bunny hop before he hits the hole

~lyser

Rookie
I dunno - it did not look like Gurley faced 8 in the box much to me. Maybe I forgot how to count?

I think McVay by formations and movement alone spread out the defense more than we saw last year.

ItsonTavon

Rookie
Name
Erick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not saying Gurley played bad, I guess I just have high standards for him. You know what they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dunno - it did not look like Gurley faced 8 in the box much to me. Maybe I forgot how to count?

I think McVay by formations and movement alone spread out the defense more than we saw last year.
They probably weren't as many as he faced last year that's for sure ... but you can still see too the run without stacking the box .. I really do think it's the trust issue though ... I swear all it'll take is one gaping hole and his confidence and trust in the o line will sky rocket

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gurley seems for effective running to the outside - pretty much every time we did he got at least 4 yards. But we got called for holding twice this way, which might be why McVay didn't call a lot of them.

Gurley looked good overall....very good in the passing game.

~lyser

Rookie
They probably weren't as many as he faced last year that's for sure ... but you can still see too the run without stacking the box .. I really do think it's the trust issue though ... I swear all it'll take is one gaping hole and his confidence and trust in the o line will sky rocket

Yep, would love to see some actual stats on this. He looked close to breaking one on a couple of runs, and he missed the hole on a couple as well. He does need blocking help as he does not seem to have elite vision, but he is absolutely murder if he gets to the second level. Great to see him used as a receiver, I feel it plays to his strengths.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
I'd be happy if he produced like that all year for us, almost a hundred from scrimmage I'll take it.
But....he DOES look a step slower to my eye, just being honest. I thought he was gone on that run to the outside and then the linebacker got him from behind.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Great post! His two best runs of the day were both called back. I bet that would have been another 30 to 40 yards to his total. I was there and something he is doing now is a little bunny hop before he hits the hole

I think it was Higbee on both of the holds.

Higbee needs a shit ton of work as an inline blocker.

At least 20 yards cost......

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Inconclusive. I'd like to see gurley winning with at least a stalemate at the line of scrimmage though. It seems like the defensive line is always right on his heels

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd be happy if he produced like that all year for us, almost a hundred from scrimmage I'll take it.
But....he DOES look a step slower to my eye, just being honest. I thought he was gone on that run to the outside and then the linebacker got him from behind.
The linebacker wasn't as far from him as it seemed on tv that's how he was able to dive and hold onto his ankles that was just a great defensive play and those happen all the time.

I saw Gurley make a lot of people miss and not go down with the first tackle. His pass pro was very good. This was Gurley first real action all season he barely ran in the preseason he will be fine

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I think Gurley did ok, he was far more patient this year than last, but there were a couple of times when he just took the wrong option IMO, that one time he just ran into a herd of Colts and Rams and didn't get anywhere and if he'd have juked out left he'd have had a huge gain - but I'll have to watch the game agin to be sure. What Gurley does offer is some fantastic pass-catching gains too - he's much more effective when he can build up a head of steam ;)

I also liked the fact that he's still a marked man, as was Austin when he was on the field, it gives our WRs a bit more breathing space.

You wait, when people try and cover our WRs more, the big holes will open for Gurley

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
I think it was Higbee on both of the holds.

Higbee needs a crap ton of work as an inline blocker.

At least 20 yards cost......
Not only that, but: there was one play where Colts LB Simon came in clean and stuffed Gurley for a loss. On that play, he blew right in between Higbee and Everett UNTOUCHED -- the TE's need some coaching up on run-blocking, for sure!

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
I saw Gurley in camp and he was a violent runner. He needs to wait for the developing lane to open instead of running into the Guards or Tackle. But when the lane is open, he's very violent and can take it all the way. If you see up close Gurley's legs, they're like tree trunks on steroids.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I saw Gurley in camp and he was a violent runner.....But when the lane is open, he's very violent and can take it all the way. If you see up close Gurley's legs, they're like tree trunks on steroids.
<------ you talkin' about these legs 99? I see the same thing. Gurley will be fine. As a matter of fact, because of the diversity of options, I like that Todd may stay fresh inDecember.

I would more worry about Tavon disappearing in this offense.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
<------ you talkin' about these legs 99? I see the same thing. Gurley will be fine. As a matter of fact, because of the diversity of options, I like that Todd may stay fresh inDecember.

I would more worry about Tavon disappearing in this offense.

Yeah. That's what I'm talking about. When Gurley has the running lane, he can really put on the jets.

HellRam

Starter
I'm not saying Gurley played bad, I guess I just have high standards for him. You know what they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

I gave your original post a like. It may not be a popular opinion but I think you are right to a degree.

I agree that Gurley does not have much to work with in the running game. That said I still havent seen him do much with one on one's, breaking tackles and pull away speed. IMO Gurley still has much to improve on, as does the o-line.

Do love his pass catching however. Gurley is defitnely a duel threat RB.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The run game overall was a disappointment yesterday. There were quite a few favorable looks and they couldn't get it done, so yeah they need to keep working on the run game and get it rolling.

That said, he didn't have a great game, though. Not all the blame should be on the blocking, it's the NFL and great backs should be able to make the other 11 look better. But I'm willing to wait and see how the run game develops as teams start to fear our passing game.

Washington, for example, isn't going to plan on coming in here and loading up the box. They're going to be concerned with the passing game, pretty sure of that.

TheBunk

Rookie
Seems like Pagano was fine with Goff torching them instead of Gurley. He did well with what he was given but still has room for improvement. Interestingly, none of the top backs did much yesterday though.