Todd Gurley Yay or Nay?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Higbee had one when extending his block because TG changed directions. Higbee had a very good day yesterday blocking, he was earning praises in the chat room for it and not just from me.
I have been very critical of his blocking but he was solid yesterday. On Austin ms run when he got 8 yards or so on the jet sweep, it was Higbee that sealed that up.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
He woulda had a 1 on 1 with the safety in the hole. Not an automatic big gainer, but a much better look than what appeared to the left.

fearsomefour

Legend
^^ that's pretty bad.. HUGE hole on the right and he's gone smh
It's 2nd and 1. It's designed to be a power short gainer I'm sure.
He is supposed to hit the designed hole or lower his pads and get yards. Didn't work.
He was already going when that gap opened up.
But, he is not running well.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He is supposed to hit the designed hole or lower his pads and get yards. Didn't work.

RBs are taught to divert to daylight in that situation, as it happens all the time in short yardage when defenses pinch it up, where you see the great RBs bounce it out and roast the defense.

Not gonna hang the guy out to dry over it or anything. But he missed it IMO.

fearsomefour

Legend
RBs are taught to divert to daylight in that situation, as it happens all the time in short yardage when defenses pinch it up, where you see the great RBs bounce it out and roast the defense.

Not gonna hang the guy out to dry over it or anything. But he missed it IMO.
If you are right then he has been doing this for awhile and probably needs to be replaced.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Gurley needs a 100+ yard game and a couple of big gainers. He hasn't had one since his rookie year. The monkey is on his back and you can tell it's bothering him. He needs to get it off ASAP. Cmon gurley we all rooting for you!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If you are right then he has been doing this for awhile and probably needs to be replaced.

Nah let's give McVay time to get him rolling. I remember that vid of McVay telling Todd to square his shoulders up as he hits the middle so that IF he bounces it out the LBs will be committed. McVay gets it, and he's going to keep working this thing until it clicks.

The run game is going to improve, I am certain of that.

fearsomefour

Legend
Nah let's give McVay time to get him rolling. I remember that vid of McVay telling Todd to square his shoulders up as he hits the middle so that IF he bounces it out the LBs will be committed. McVay gets it, and he's going to keep working this thing until it clicks.

Maybe.
I like Gurley but he looks like damaged goods to me.
Maybe a few little things that McVay can help or maybe carriers need to be split.
I certainly hope you are right.
The Colts stacked the box about 10% of the time versus Gurley.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
As many on here know, I was not a fan of the pick and took a lot of crap for it. He did do very well for the first 5 or so games of his rookie year, and I was happy to eat crow. As a few other posters have noted, he looks like a different player since then. There were quite a few missed lanes like the one posted above, last season. That is why he started getting the Trent Richardson comparisons from people. I like how he looked in the passing game and maybe his future is as a third down back. I hope not. That was too high to take that kind of player. It is still early though, and I am hopeful that this staff can coach him up. Hard to coach vision, however. That is what worries me.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock

McVay discussed the lack of run production in his presser yesterday.

It'll be a focus point and I'll be watching to see if they get Gurley going.

How many carries did he have in Pre-Season and Game 1 total? Like 27? Doesn't seem like a lot to me.

There's a lot of mention of his 5 games in 2015. As we know, he came off an ACL tear.

He hasn't gotten a lot of work.

I want to see more carries from Gurley, not fewer. Then I'll know something.

What would Twitter be without overreactions from Gurley "Truther" haters! LOL

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As many on here know, I was not a fan of the pick and took a lot of crap for it. He did do very well for the first 5 or so games of his rookie year, and I was happy to eat crow. As a few other posters have noted, he looks like a different player since then. There were quite a few missed lanes like the one posted above, last season. That is why he started getting the Trent Richardson comparisons from people. I like how he looked in the passing game and maybe his future is as a third down back. I hope not. That was too high to take that kind of player. It is still early though, and I am hopeful that this staff can coach him up. Hard to coach vision, however. That is what worries me.

I think that IF he doesn't start showing some improvements in his vision we will see other RBs mixed in. Doubt it comes to that, granted, but McVay is not going to settle like Fisher did on offense.

Options at that point are on the roster too. To include Tavon, assuming he's not moved, since he is clearly going to be a third down back type guy in snaps and focus in this offense.

…..

Legend
Meanwhile....there's this from yahoo.
https://sports.yahoo.com/wee-2-fantasy-busts-concerns-gurley-set-ramp-121406603.html

Todd Gurley, LAR, RB (96 percent started; Yahoo DFS: $26)
Matchup: vs. Was

Sean McVay placing him in situations to succeed. Pitiful. Excuse makers will scream “But the stacked boxes!!!,” however the RB saw eight or more defenders crowd the line only 10.5 percent of the time. At some point, the finger has to point at the rusher. His receiving contributions were a positive development, but his increased tentativeness and eroding vision only amplify concern. The Rams’ offensive line also remains pathetic, which is problematic against a solid Washington front. Its defenders, Zach Brown and Jonathan Allen, gobbled up Eagles RBs last Sunday holding them to 2.6 yards per carry. Gurley, who’s rushed for 878 yards on his last 280 carries (3.1 ypc), extends his streak of futility." Hollywood is known for its gory horror films. “It” and its demonic clown, Pennywise, is the latest fright fest to jolt moviegoers. Sadly, Gurley, another Tinsel Town bone-chiller, is sure to leave fantasy audiences shivering. The once revered back picked up where he left off, undermining his own worldly talents with excessive three-yard plods. Against a pack of quarter horses, Indy, he cranked out a top-10 Week 1 effort, but upon closer inspection his performance left much to be desired. He netted a very familiar 2.1 yards per carry, totaled the third-worst YAC per attempt of the week and evaded a measly two tackles on 19 attempts. And that was with Sean McVay placing him in situations to succeed. Pitiful. Excuse makers will scream “But the stacked boxes!!!,” however the RB saw eight or more defenders crowd the line only 10.5 percent of the time. At some point, the finger has to point at the rusher. His receiving contributions were a positive development, but his increased tentativeness and eroding vision only amplify concern. The Rams’ offensive line also remains pathetic, which is problematic against a solid Washington front. Its defenders, Zach Brown and Jonathan Allen, gobbled up Eagles RBs last Sunday holding them to 2.6 yards per carry. Gurley, who’s rushed for 878 yards on his last 280 carries (3.1 ypc), extends his streak of futility.