Todd Gurley Yay or Nay?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I'm still going to support Gurley. All he needs is a big day on the ground, and he's going to go off. I feel it in my bones.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Gurley was obviously frustrated on the day. I think he had a few tackles, shoestring tackles, that he expects to break but just didn't expect.

He also had 2 or 3 runs called back by holds. I expect that as we get more into live football the blockers will be better about know how to engage with a pop and then disengage appropriately. I think both of the holds were on Higbee (I'm not sure if there was a third), he has that stretch block on both plays that I recall. He has a good block, could have more pop, but the holding comes when he just needs to disengage - and if he does that with a good push, there is no way anyone is catching Gurley off the edge.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I saw this in the Redskins talk Rams game thread. This was a pretty good sequence of Mcvay's offense and these concepts. I am not spinning in the way this guy is, the attitude that we know Mcvay so we are ok. But you can see the roots of what Mcvay is running for us.

Spent some time last night studying Sean McVay's #Rams offense. It looked very familiar...

https://twitter.com/i/moments/908109857420607488

Ram65

Legend
Hard to coach vision, however. That is what worries me.

Me too. I thought he had many opportunities last year to bounce outside but, went straight ahead. The video shows him looking straight ahead from the beginning. I don't know if he should be looking at the defensive set up to see where he could bounce but, he never looked as he started the play. TG been good at getting short yardage like the TD run. His big games consisted of a long run or two with not much YPC on 20 or so other runs IIRC. He did get some better blocking in 2015. I wonder too if he has lost confidence in getting to the edge.

nanotech

Rookie
I'm watching the RAM game because I recorded it. (Didn't watch it live) that said I don't know if this was talked about. Gurley to me looked slow. No first few seconds burst. Seemed pretty slow at times. He also easier to be put on the ground. I want Todd Gurley of 2015 didn't see that.

Let's hope for improvement against Washington!
Go away with that crap

Ellard80

Legend
He better start figuring it out.. got him on one of my fantasy teams..

Obviously what's most important...

…..

Legend
Nobody wants to hear any of this...thats obvious.

Love is blind.

But...Where there's smoke, there's fire.

If there are issues with Gurley, Gurley burst, Gurley vision, Lets hope we can get it turned around. If not, we're going to hear more and more of it. The mumblings have begun.

Signed,
A Gurley Jersey Owner

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
He lacked burst and/or vision on some plays. I agree.
But he did also show them on others.

His TD run, for example, was an elite play. He showed burst on certain carries.

No, neither Gurley nor the run blocking is fully tuned up in week 1.
Thats ok.

Scirca

Rookie
Todd Gurley is the most overrated player on this forum. I stand by what I said. Benny Cunningham is better than this man. FYI, if he doesn't get it together, the Rams aren't going to pick up his 5th year option.

JRobinson

MiLB
Todd Gurley is the most overrated player on this forum. I stand by what I said. Benny Cunningham is better than this man. FYI, if he doesn't get it together, the Rams aren't going to pick up his 5th year option.

So you're basically saying that Gurley is a backup. Cool story bro

JRobinson

MiLB
What has he done that's worthy of praise.... I'll wait....

Umm I dunno, make a Pro Bowl as a rookie on a bad team? Greatly increase his ability as a pass blocker? Oh wait, he struggled his sophomore season due to the most incompetent offense we've seen in a decade. No need to wait, he's already proven his worth and proven your assessment of a backup wrong too.... might wanna check with McVay since he has Gurley starting. Let him know of your opinion and your displeasure.

Last edited:

Memento

Name
Jemma

If Benny Cunningham was that good, he'd be starting for the Bears. I love Benny, and I wish that we had kept him, but he's not better than Gurley.

And FYI? Really? What about JMHO? You speak in absolutes that can't be proven at this time. Do I think that Gurley is doing as good as his rookie year? No. That doesn't mean that he hasn't done any good things. And can he improve on those things? I say yes.

Our offensive line is still gelling in the running game. Gurley needs to trust in them more. And when that happens, I hope you're here to eat crow.

Scirca

Rookie
If Benny Cunningham was so good, he'd be starting for the Bears. I love Benny, and I wish that we had kept him, but he's not better than Gurley.

And FYI? Really? What about JMHO? You speak in absolutes that can't be proven at this time. Do I think that Gurley is doing as good as his rookie year? No. That doesn't mean that he hasn't done any good things. And can he improve on those things? I say yes.

Our offensive line is still gelling in the running game. Gurley needs to trust in them more. And when that happens, I hope you're here to eat crow.

What's the point of harboring a dude for the sake of his name on the team when there are better RB's out there, not to mention you got Malcolm Brown playing like a grown man in the I formation.

Memento

Name
Jemma
What's the point of harboring a dude for the sake of his name on the team when there are better RB's out there, not to mention you got Malcolm Brown playing like a grown man in the I formation.

I'm not saying that the man is perfect, but since he's a Ram, I'm damn sure going to look on the positive side with him. I think that he can easily improve. I feel that the offensive line can improve.

Malcolm Brown was not better than Todd Gurley today. They had the same amount of touchdowns. Gurley was more proficient in the passing game, both blocking and receiving. That's not a knock on Brown either. He had a good game today, and I'm happy that he did because it solves our problem of backup running back.

But Gurley's the starter for a reason. I trust McVay on that.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Just watched the condensed version, which kicks ass, and I was impressed with our man, Todd, especially in the passing game. He moved the sticks and his action out of the backfield will be a concern for defenses. Minus some plays called back, he would've had about 100 yards on the ground to boot. He did seem slightly slower at the end of the 3rd quarter, which was when I started wondering why we still had him in there with such a big lead, but then he makes a big gain with another reception I think he'll be just fine but pull him earlier with a big lead and let Davis go at it.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
I keep waiting for him to break off a big run and it just doesn't happen. His initial burst is average, and is allowing him to be caught by LBs and S' . I'd like to see him on wheel routes with his momentum built up and moving up field.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I like all 3 of our RB's, but i'd like to see Justin Davis get more time as our real 'change of pace' rusher. I do like what Malcolm Brown can bring, but I still view him more as a replacement starter for Gurley if Gman were to be injured, not the guy I necessarily want taking most of the reserve or our #2's snaps. Davis has that expected quicker 1'st step of a guy 30lbs. lighter than Gurley & Brown, he can hit the edge faster and squeeze between smaller gaps than Gurley, who is our big down hill runner who will often be only as good as what our OL gives him. If our OL is being built to primarily benefit a pass protecting scheme, then perhaps our expectations in the run game is a bit exaggerated. Only one game into the season, i'm not sure what we know of our OL other than it's better than what we saw a season ago, especially that left side. We'll know much more once we get a few games into this thing, but as of today, i'm not going to get over-amped after 1 game. jmo.