To draft a WR in the 1st round or not?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Should We Draft A WR In The 1st Round

• Yes

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • No

Votes: 31 60.8%
  • I have no idea. I like potatoes

Votes: 8 15.7%

• Total voters

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
YUP ,if the value fits the pick is the only way,but FWIW I think our wrs are the second most talented unit on the team

I also think they're more talented than people believe. I have my reservations about Quick but he's been playing better of late. Still so inconsistent though.

That all said, we have nothing but young guys. Lets allow them to get some seasoning and see what we have. We haven't even had the chance to evaluate Stedman Bailey yet(who I liked a lot as a prospect) and Austin, imo, is going to breakout eventually. He's too skilled and athletic not to.

Agamemnon

Rookie
Watkins is number 6 on my list of Blue Chips. So, yes I would, if none of the top 5 Blue Chips were available. I have 8 this year. It is an unusually high number for me.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Our WRs make me want to pull my hair out but I do think they could develop into all that we need. But, like most are saying, if that "stud" is there when we pick, how do you pass on him? I'm thinking a RB to complement Stacy and some OL help is needed. Of course, CB is probably going to be a need as well so............

A55VA6

Legend
Last week against the Seahawks there were many many times where WR's were open in the middle of the field and kellen misses them and throws it elsewhere. He seems to like to throw towards the sidelines more than anything else. Everyone is just inconsistent on this team.

…..

Legend
Not sure I go WR in top20 anymore.....

The most recent successful rookie wr is AJ Jenkins...maybe add the kids from Dallas....outside of them, W/R's that simply need a few years to develop.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The most recent successful rookie wr is AJ Jenkins...maybe add the kids from Dallas....outside of them, W/R's that simply need a few years to develop.

AJ Jenkins has been a colossal bust. Do you mean AJ Green? :wink:

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan

Aj Jenkins was drafted at 30 and many analysts thought that was too early. He was a reach from the get go. Most receovers can show some potential during their rookie year. Floyd, Wright, Blackmon...

All picked in the top 20 and all flashed signs of being above average receivers...while aside from Givens, our receivers have showed potential of being average at best.

I wanted Austin but I wanted Hopkins with him. He simply can't do the amount of damage he is capable of without a legit threat on the outside. He is more like an "icing on the cake" rather than the actual cake. Evans or Watkins for me. Givens needs to fix the drops too or he should earn a spot on the bench.

…..

Legend
I just think the risk vs reward has not favored us at alll, and had NOT favored most NFL teams that a rookie w/r can truly have impact inside 2 years, but especially inside the first year.....so I voted NO

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Aj Jenkins was drafted at 30 and many analysts thought that was too early. He was a reach from the get go. Most receovers can show some potential during their rookie year. Floyd, Wright, Blackmon...

All picked in the top 20 and all flashed signs of being above average receivers...while aside from Givens, our receivers have showed potential of being average at best.

I wanted Austin but I wanted Hopkins with him. He simply can't do the amount of damage he is capable of without a legit threat on the outside. He is more like an "icing on the cake" rather than the actual cake. Evans or Watkins for me. Givens needs to fix the drops too or he should earn a spot on the bench.

I disagree with that. Take a look at what Wes Welker has become. I think Tavon can be the cake if you allow him to be. The key is allow. By that, I mean Schotty needs to treat him like a WR instead of an athlete.

Austin is very arguably our best route runner already. This is a guy that has ability to make CBs look stupid when they try to press him like he did against Carolina. Let him play WR. He's not big. He's not going to win jump balls. But he can get open on just about any route, he can take the top off the defense and he can make plays with the ball in his hands. Allow him to be a WR first and then build from there. The screen pass isn't going to work unless teams are afraid of Austin beating them on routes down the field. So throwing a bunch of screens out there does us no good. They're ready for them. Allow Austin to back teams off with his WR skills AND THEN throw the screens...like Atlanta did to us with Julio Jones.

V3

Hall of Fame
Someone tell les to do this!
1a Jake Matthews
1b Mike Evans

I think they're almost forced to use one of those first rounders on either a safety or CB. We can't go into next season with this group. They need someone to replace Finnegan(and his contract) and someone to play next to McD.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think they're almost forced to use one of those first rounders on either a safety or CB. We can't go into next season with this group. They need someone to replace Finnegan(and his contract) and someone to play next to McD.

I agree we're going to have to address CB too.

I'm not convinced it has to be first round, however. That's the beauty of the CB, there are a lot of them in the draft.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Cosell said he likes what he's seen of Quick. And said Givens is what he thought he was, speed guy who can take the top off a defense, not a WR1.

He likes Austin, but said the Rams don't use him correctly.

So, my takeaway is if Quick isn't the answer at WR1, and let's face it, it very doubtful, then we need one.

And if there is a stud WR1 available when the Rams pick, they should take him.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Cosell said he likes what he's seen of Quick. And said Givens is what he thought he was, speed guy who can take the top off a defense, not a WR1.

He likes Austin, but said the Rams don't use him correctly.

So, my takeaway is if Quick isn't the answer at WR1, and let's face it, it very doubtful, then we need one.

And if there is a stud WR1 available when the Rams pick, they should take him.
But "should" is a VERY BIG word and it discounts way too much,IF there was a guy without character issues the level of Albert Haynesworth , or Derek Thomas ,or Orlando Pace,or Champ Bailey THERE , portfolio theory dictates you take the position where you are weakest and FWIW all those positions are positions of greater need except LB and Dunbar is gonna get old fast when he does.
Saying yes to this question assumes you're giving up on someone on this current roster,so WHO ? gotta be the guy who hasn't seen the field,es verdad ? Stedman Bailey only answer I can see there and if the rest are playing well enough to keep ya from playing him at all,NOW as Les says do you draft someone that will challenge? sure, but first round ,NIMO, too many other missing pieces to go for "THE missing piece" at a position where the bust rate is so high ,HOW effective have the top two this year been, Tavon and Cordarrele ?

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'm gonna say no, but it's close. Although my patience seems to be running short with Quick, Cook hasn't lived up to the hype, and Givens makes me wanna check the roster to see if he's still on it (Tavon fits this bill too), I don't think we need an upgrade just yet. This is a super young, talented, group lead by a third year guy... nuff said.

I think our passing game became more potent once the running game was taken over by Stacy. Here lyes our answer, guys. Just focus on running the ball and the young guys will step up. Maybe a new second round RB and a third round guard might do the trick.

In the first round I so badly want go defense. Clowney is my "pie in the sky" dream (that's fearsome foursome on 3rd downs. If he's not there I trade down ant draft a DT, DE, OG. I definately want a first round safety that slips a little bit. If we do trade down, another MJD like Stacy would be nice. Wish they had a super elusive guy like Faulk coming out... :/

Heck, I say give Austin some pitches to the outside. What are they waiting for?

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm of the opinion that you always add a receiver (or two) every year. I'm not a talent evaluator, and even the best whiff on wide receivers quite often because a really low percentage of them make it. And because that's the case, you have to keep trying until you strike gold. I know this offense is set up to get everyone involved and not necessarily *rely* on a #1 type, but that's because they don't have any other options. If a guy like Andre Johnson or Torry Holt was on this team right now, he'd be getting the lion's share of looks and receptions. No doubt in my mind.

So my answer (and opinion) is yes. You draft another one.

Yes but in the first round? I think with two picks they strengthen the two lines after a trade down or maybe two that add a couple of extra second rounders. If they can come out of this draft with 4 of the top 50 picks it'll go a long way. WRs can be found in second, third and fourth rounds too. I would not use a first rounder unless it was a rare talent and a sure thing type of player.

I think you have to draft one every year otherwise you end up never having two excellent guys on the roster at the same time.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah the first round. If the opportunity and player are there.

I'm speaking in general of course. If a Torry Holt is sitting there, pull the trigger. If not, add one late.

iced

I doubt it - I don't see any cream of the crop at the top for WR's. Safety has clinton dix, whom i think we will be grabbing